Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1262862 - 09/05/09 10:23 AM Weekly Lesson
Mr.A Offline

Hello

Im trying to look ahead to later lessons, after a beginner has pretty much understood the very basics of theory and piano (enough to start with a method book and play small bits for instance).
What is your "beginner's" lesson composed of usually?

thanks.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1262880 - 09/05/09 11:06 AM Re: Weekly Lesson [Re: Mr.A]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Have you read any pedagogy books yet? So many of the questions you seem to have would be cleared up more quickly and thoroughly if you did.

Try these:

A Piano Teacher's Legacy by Richard Chronister
Questions and Answers by Frances Clark
Practical Piano Pedagogy by Martha Baker Jordan

#1262955 - 09/05/09 01:31 PM Re: Weekly Lesson [Re: Minniemay]
Mrs.A Offline

MR A,

I can tell you are very conscientious about teaching well. We were all beginner teachers at one time.

What method book are you using? I switched several years ago to Faber Piano Adventures and am continually impressed. IT is well organized and the music is appealing. It you follow all the books; Technique, theory, lesson, and performance, your students should do well and not miss much.

I explain to student the reason for the four books is it is like learning basketball. The lesson book is the “how to play” book. The technique is like shooting hoops till you get really good. (easy, often overlooked but important in piano) The performance is the “game” and the theory is the rule book. ALL are important elements in learning basketball and all are different but important to playing piano.

In addition, I have an interesting assortment of percussion instruments. The rule is, if they have a drum, they have to count out loud. We work out the rhythm of the pieces on the percussion instrument. It works well and breaks up the piano lesson a bit.

In the primer books I tend to teach only playing on the “blackk keys” until finger numbers are established. I then skip ahead. I explain the half note, quarter etc. but don’t expect the student to apply it yet. Those young brains are working hard just getting the fingers to move independent of each other at that level. I spend more time on the white keys until they are well understood. I don't skip much here. (I have a cute story I tell that helps student quickly learn the white keys PM me if you want that teaching technique) I do not worry about dynamics yet. I find Fabers introduction to the notes on the staff is about right for the students. I like the way faber introduces the notes. Still, not much emphasis on counting or dynamics but I do expect the student to be able to tell me how many counts a half note, whole note get even if it isn‘t consistently applied. I tend to linger in the Faber Primer books until I am sure note reading, skips and steps are solid. I don’t mind if they can not name the treble clef or bass clef yet. I use the vocabulary often in piano, quiz them occasionally and they pick it up.

Level one songs are much more interesting and I start insisting on dynamics in this book. I also introduce the metronome and emphasize counting and steady tempo. I am a stickler at this level about proper technique, staccatos, crescendos and so on. Those details are important in auditions.

At level one, intervals are introduced. Without neglecting note recognition, I heavily emphasize intervals. It makes for better sight reading is the foundation for theory and playing by ear If there is one thing I notice in transfers is they have very little understanding of intervals.

Depending on the student, I usually assign a lesson page and technique page one week. The next week it is the same technique and a performance page. Students who are very dedicated and practice often are assigned a performance, lesson and technique page.
When the c chord is introduced. I then introduce the f chord and g chord, a minor and e minor and encourage students to begin composing and playing by ear. By the time the faber books intorduce the chords in relationship to each other, the students have a good foundation.

In the upper Faber levels, I supplement a lot. I begin introducing the important literature. Discussing the important literature is another thread.

My students participate in two audition/competitions a year. Along with the method, the students are often working on audition pieces.

I do not claim my way is the best way. I hope it helps. Also, I didn’t address the obvious. You need to consider the strengths of each student. Some memorize to quickly, some have no internal pulse whatsoever and you have to watch for strengths and weakness and adjust lessons to address each individual student.

Good luck. It gets easier.
Mom to four boys.

#1263521 - 09/06/09 02:35 PM Re: Weekly Lesson [Re: Mrs.A]
Mr.A Offline

Thank you very much for taking the time and answering my question so thoroughly.
It's very helpful, I'll check those books out, and I hope I'll do a good job.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin Hamilton 1941
by JMN12
09/16/14 11:13 PM
Tucson, AZ: Is Arizona Room a bad place for a piano?
by Paul678
09/16/14 08:14 PM
Kissin plays...
by JoelW
09/16/14 07:33 PM
For Sale : True Keys Pianos (bundle) American,Italian,Ger
man

by imyself
09/16/14 05:51 PM
Dream Keys Complete - Your Opinion Please
by Vas
09/16/14 04:56 PM
Who's Online
123 registered (Augustina, AEMontoya, anotherscott, ando, BarryR, 35 invisible), 1250 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157572 Topics
2314514 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission