Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 51 of 100 < 1 2 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 99 100 >
Topic Options
#1259934 - 08/31/09 08:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Yeah I know that 4 finger arp took some practice. I'm about to catch up with you, hoping to do Tarantella within the next couple of days then move on to I think Festive Dance.

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1259970 - 08/31/09 09:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Festive Dance is my assignment right now. I am, surprisingly, having some difficulties with the second half. On first blush, I would have thought it would have been easier, but I am not finding that to be the case.

Where we are in the book, the pieces seem to be going by quickly.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#1260580 - 09/01/09 08:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mexican Hat Dance

Most of my time was spent on getting it up to speed! This took 8 days to do, roughly 2-3 hours per day.

On to Tarentella.

#1260639 - 09/01/09 09:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Music_in_Me
Mexican Hat Dance

Most of my time was spent on getting it up to speed! This took 8 days to do, roughly 2-3 hours per day.

On to Tarentella.

Bravo MiM! The rhythm and timing were perfect and dynamics and touch were superb.

#1260713 - 09/01/09 10:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
500 Post Club Member

Well done! That's more of the tempo I was aiming at, but just couldn't quite approach.

Casio Ap-200

#1260720 - 09/01/09 10:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

AWtPP, good luck with all upcoming songs... let us crush Festive Dance and other pieces and move on to join Waltz and company upstairs. Waltz, I practiced this piece may be too much! I wish I could do these kinds of pieces in a day or two max, not 8 days.

#1260838 - 09/02/09 04:28 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: dukeofhesse]
angelas Offline

Loc: New Zealand (South Pacific, Do...
Originally Posted By: dukeofhesse
I am wrapping up the level one book and any day now will be joining you guys in this thread, but I have a question that relates to book one.

I am about to start Amazing Grace and it looks a bit daunting. Seems like fingers go all over the place. My question is for anyone who might recall working on the piece; how difficult was it, how long did it take to get a decent rendition, any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks, and hope to see you all soon.

Just looking back over some threads and found your one Dukeofhesse. I haven't long been on book 2 but really found Amazing Grace a real pain. Those triplets were Ok except that for the first time I found it hard to find my place with the left hand. I just kept at it and at it. I also found Singing in the Rain hard but loved At Last (not sure if this in in your book as I used Alred's Adult Self-teaching course for my first book)

#1260996 - 09/02/09 12:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Loc: Florida
MiM Great job on Mexican Hat Dance. thumb That piece is non stop.

I'm about halfway through Alfred 2 Basic. I'm almost done with Polovetsian Dances and have started Arkansas Traveler.

#1261043 - 09/02/09 01:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Can't wait to get to Arkansas Traveler! If I play it like z32 did, I'd be a happy camper.
http://www.box.net/shared/6ooxhc30i1#

#1261059 - 09/02/09 01:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

WOW shocked I hope I get there as well.

#1261652 - 09/03/09 09:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

#1261784 - 09/03/09 12:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
500 Post Club Member

Sounds like you had some fun with this one.

Casio Ap-200

#1261800 - 09/03/09 01:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nicely done thumb

Festive Dance is great, enjoy that.

#1261806 - 09/03/09 01:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

That was great MiM smile The tempo was very even and smooth. I always have trouble with that.

Good Job thumb

#1261824 - 09/03/09 01:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks everyone. Festive Dance is a piece I tried before, so it shouldn't take me a long time to do it, I hope. AWtPP, I don't recall what LOCO means, is it slow then fast?

#1261833 - 09/03/09 01:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm no where near being good, of course, but I did really notice a big improvement in playing when I started my "MiM Index Finger Method" :-) If you recall from a previous post, it is basically about using your index finger to point and touch the sheet as you count, as well as when you are listening to the recorded piece.

So, I look at the time signature, say it is 4/4. I then point to each note and count like" 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and, etc., placing your finger on each note, and keeping it for the duration of the note. Doing this a few times before you play anything ensures that when you do play, you don't go off in the wrong direction, pick a wrong tempo, miss a note, etc. What I noticed is that if you start learning the piece before fully understanding when and where each note goes, you end up paying up for that later on as you try to unlearn the mistake. My 2 cents...not a teacher and don't really know if there are any bad side-effects to this method.

#1261856 - 09/03/09 02:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
500 Post Club Member

Loco cancels the 8va. So when you return to the intro after the coda (I think it's a coda), you are no longer 8va, but rather, "as before".

The second half of that piece is still giving me fits. I'm hit or miss on the RH half notes, of all things.

Casio Ap-200

#1262100 - 09/03/09 10:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here goes Festive Dance

No great achievement here as I did try this piece before.

#1262105 - 09/03/09 10:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here goes Festive Dance

No great achievement here as I did try this piece before.

Excellently done cool

After all that time, they really just come back that quickly? That actually makes me feel nice; knowing that if there ever is a hiatus in my playing (God forbid) that all will not be lost. Nice job regardless.

W

#1262128 - 09/03/09 11:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Waltz

After all that time, they really just come back that quickly? That actually makes me feel nice; knowing that if there ever is a hiatus in my playing (God forbid) that all will not be lost. Nice job regardless.

W

Yes they do. I have not seen or heard this piece for at least 7 years, and even then, I played it a few times without much focus, and yet I was able to play it today after roughly 2 hours of practice.

Waltz, I certainly appreciate your comments and appreciate your taking the time from your upstairs hectic schedule to check on us grin

As a final thought on your progress Waltz (if I may offer an opinion), which I think would be very constructive and worthwhile for you, is to take a month off where you sit back and take inventory of what you have achieved, going back to pieces that you like and just playing them again, paying attention to things you may have overlooked earlier, working on smoothing your playing, giving your fingers a good work out, etc. There is a difference in playing for improving one's style and playing during the learning process. I know those pieces in Book 3 are quite advanced, and I don't want to see you burn out. I did once.

#1262471 - 09/04/09 03:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Yet another great job MiM!!! It's nice to know that you can come back to something after letting it sit for years and be able to get it back up to speed quickly.

ARRRGGGH!!! I made a recording of The Polovetsian Dances but forgot to check the recording levels first. Duh!!! They were set very low. The recording came out so quiet I can barely hear it!!!! Lesson learned. I'll try again.

#1262565 - 09/04/09 07:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the advice MiM and I certainly value the insight. Partially for the reasons you mentioned is the reason I dedicated myself to finding a new Piano Teacher after completing Book 2. I am working on many things outside of A3 right now and will be from now on. My progress through Alfred's is certainly slowing (but not stopping). But you are right: it is more fun "shaking things up" instead of chugging through a single method book.

#1263138 - 09/05/09 07:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here is Scherzo

Next is Introduction and Dance.

#1263157 - 09/05/09 08:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here is Scherzo

Next is Introduction and Dance.

Yet another job very well done. I particularly enjoyed your unique ending, that was a nice personal touch (and very well executed)

#1263158 - 09/05/09 08:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: HeirborneGroupie
Yet another great job MiM!!! It's nice to know that you can come back to something after letting it sit for years and be able to get it back up to speed quickly.

ARRRGGGH!!! I made a recording of The Polovetsian Dances but forgot to check the recording levels first. Duh!!! They were set very low. The recording came out so quiet I can barely hear it!!!! Lesson learned. I'll try again.

HBG, how is your instructor situation going?

#1263196 - 09/05/09 09:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Hi Waltz.

Thanks for asking. I have my first meeting with a new teacher next week. I'm excited. This teacher is very accomplished and I am hopeful that she will be an inspiration.

I had my last lesson with my teacher on Thursday. It was sad but I think a good move.

How is your new teacher working out for you?

#1263199 - 09/05/09 09:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Waltz, the last note is supposed to be a D, but I'm recording this on my 61-key keyboard, so I had to use the last C, and then, since this is a scherzo, I thought I add something different to end it with.

Introduction and Dance is also another piece I tried before, but I didn't do well on the left hand as it has some interesting chord and harmony that takes some practice. The only one I skipped so far is La Bamba! I've done the song, but every time I try to do a reasonable recording of it, something or another comes up. But I'm going to do it, no matter what whistle.

#1263529 - 09/06/09 02:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: HeirborneGroupie
Hi Waltz.

Thanks for asking. I have my first meeting with a new teacher next week. I'm excited. This teacher is very accomplished and I am hopeful that she will be an inspiration.

I had my last lesson with my teacher on Thursday. It was sad but I think a good move.

How is your new teacher working out for you?

I'm so happy it worked out so well for you smile .

My teacher has been amazing. As you mentioned, it really is an inspiration having a dedicated and wise instructor watching over us as we progress.

#1263533 - 09/06/09 03:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

I will post this in the A3 and A2 threads... I need some advice/wisdom on how to execute this RH + LH "hand jump" that occurs over and over in Musette in D:

http://www.music-scores.com/graphics/ba_anma_22.gif

There is the sheet music. Basically it's this:

The LH jumps up the keyboard at the same time the RH jumps down. This isn't so hard, the hands are converging.

Next the RH and LH must return to where they were, which means they jump in opposite directions at the same time. This is done with absolutely no break or anything, it must be done instantly to keep the rhythm. But no matter how much I practice I have very low accuracy and around one half of the time I will miss either the LH or the RH's note. The only other thing I can do is break the rhythm and move my hands slowly, but more accurately, to the correct notes.

It's frustrating because I can basically play the entire piece, but no matter how much I practice this "contrary + simultaneous" hand jumping, I just remain horribly inaccurate.

Any advice is appreciated.

#1264202 - 09/07/09 06:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Page 51 of 100 < 1 2 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 99 100 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
74 registered (bennevis, alfredo capurso, ASLevelMusicTheory, beet31425, briansaddleback, carey, 12 invisible), 1120 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251535 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission