Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1263422 - 09/06/09 11:43 AM Are you a desperado?
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Were you so desperate to play well that you unlearned all the poor teaching you received initially - even though it took years?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1263427 - 09/06/09 11:53 AM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: keyboardklutz]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
My early teachers I had weren't poor teachers, but insufficient teachers. In some cases, I was moved ahead before I actually mastered a concept and could execute it properly. Perhaps that's a necessary problem of impatient youth.

#1263428 - 09/06/09 11:53 AM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Morodiene Online   content

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
As a pianist I was blessed with a great teacher who was patient, kind, and really helped my technique, so I didn't have "unlearning" to do. But as a singer, 7 out of the 8 teachers I had were bad, many of them contradicting one another, trading off one bad idea for the next.

My last teacher was the one who really hit the nail on the head, and so when he taught me, it was like a huge light bulb went off, "Oh, *that* actually felt right!" My body knew what it should have been doing but it got confused by all the terrible suggestions from people who should have known better, and so when I finally was going in the right direction, it felt easier. I never went back to the old ways out of habit, because they never felt right to begin with. When you find something that is easier and more efficient and not painful, why would you ever go back?

But then, one may wonder why I stuck with it after 7 teachers and failures each time after "reworking" my voice yet again. There were definitely many times I tried giving up, but after trying that a few times I realized that I had to sing no matter how bad it was. I wanted it badly enough.

So, yes, I think the key to overcoming poor teaching is the desire to want it badly enough that you simply keep trying until you get it.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1263432 - 09/06/09 11:57 AM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: Morodiene]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
Yes!!!

It dawned on me when I was at University that in order to progress further I needed to rework my whole technique. My first piano teacher (right through to grade 8) was actually a guitarist!

#1263435 - 09/06/09 11:59 AM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: Morodiene]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene

So, yes, I think the key to overcoming poor teaching is the desire to want it badly enough that you simply keep trying until you get it.
Ah, a fellow
desperado! And when you find someone who has it on offer you just know, don't you ("Oh, *that* actually felt right!").

#1263437 - 09/06/09 12:00 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: Chris H.]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: Chris H.
My first piano teacher (right through to grade 8) was actually a guitarist!
And another!

#1263439 - 09/06/09 12:04 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
Perhaps that's a necessary problem of impatient youth.
Not. Why do I have this awful vision of you in knickerbockers, hair slicked down with macasa - right out of Tom Sawyer?

#1263447 - 09/06/09 12:26 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Piano*Dad Online   content

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
I am definitely a better pianist today, despite much less time for practice, than I was when I was at my high school best. I most certainly don't blame bad teaching. Like John, I would say that my first teacher was insufficient, but the raw material he was working with (me) was equally insufficient or more so. My second teacher was fabulous. Her skills could have taken me way beyond what I ultimately achieved. The problems were in me, not her. My limited horizon was shaped by ingrained habits I could not easily break in the short time I worked with her.

Some, or most, young players really never master how to practice for maximum benefit. They don't learn the tricks that help them identify why particular passages are giving them difficulty, so they muscle through things and make bad habits permanent. They do this in piece after piece, until that style becomes practice to them. If there was a failing, it might be that teaching how to practice wasn't very systematic once I got into advanced literature.

A related problem may be that many, or most, students never really master the technique of relaxed playing. Controlling the body just seems downright difficult to lots of teens. Being told what to do just doesn't seem to translate smoothly into actually doing it. I wonder if teens just don't experiment around a lot so that trial and error eventually shows them what the teacher was getting at.

Both of these things only came to me as an adult working on my own. Adult insights, in my case, were simply deeper than what I was capable of putting out as a teen.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1263454 - 09/06/09 12:38 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: Piano*Dad]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
Being told what to do just doesn't seem to translate smoothly into actually doing it.
And there's the rub - it's what not to do!

#1263458 - 09/06/09 12:44 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: keyboardklutz]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
Perhaps that's a necessary problem of impatient youth.
Not. Why do I have this awful vision of you in knickerbockers, hair slicked down with macasa - right out of Tom Sawyer?

I know wht knickerbockers are - though I've never had any, but I don't know what macasa is, and apparently, no one has bothered to post a definition or picture or description on the web. Please define.

As for your nightmares, perhaps it's something you ate! laugh

#1263460 - 09/06/09 12:50 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
keyboardklutz Offline

Sorry, it's my spelling:

You can't have forgotten antimacassars:

#1263474 - 09/06/09 01:05 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: keyboardklutz]

Yeah, I remember antimacassars on chairs... long after no one would have been caught dead oiling their hair. Some traditions die hard.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1263475 - 09/06/09 01:06 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: keyboardklutz]

Being told what to do just doesn't seem to translate smoothly into actually doing it.
And there's the rub - it's what not to do!

Hey, is this a serious comment .... or a post padding! grin
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1263479 - 09/06/09 01:15 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: Piano*Dad]
keyboardklutz Offline

Hey, is this a serious comment .... or a post padding! grin
Huh!? Learning the piano is mostly a case of learning what not to do.

#1263526 - 09/06/09 02:52 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: keyboardklutz]

No, no, all I was pointing out was that you were emphasizing the flip side of what I had already said. Whether a teacher tells you what TO do or what NOT to do, if you can't really feel what s(he) means, the instruction does you little good. It's hard to know what 'right' feels like if you haven't experienced it.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1263536 - 09/06/09 03:13 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: Piano*Dad]
keyboardklutz Offline

That's why you need to start correctly from day 1. That way it feels as you already do feel (more or less). Instrumental pedagogy is kinda about making something that feels pretty awkward feel natural without subsuming unwanted tension. i.e. accommodating tension not hiding it.

#1263547 - 09/06/09 03:35 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
kbk, I apologise if your op question was intended solely for your fellow teachers, but I just had to jump in here..

Where does a 58 year old - desperate to make the most of his precious time - find that right teacher in Hamburg, Germany? I've 'tried' several and none of them - NONE OF THEM! - have 'it'! Moving to live next door to kbk, John Brook, Morodiene, Betty Patnude, Chris H. etc. is, unfortunately, not an option frown

Frustrated? ...you bet! I feel like 'Brendel' - my avatar dog - going round in circles and getting knowhere fast!

#1263557 - 09/06/09 03:55 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: cruiser]
keyboardklutz Offline

You can try: http://epta-europe.org/mapa/members8.html
It seems EPTA-Germany's web isn't working but give them a ring. It's no guarantee of a good teacher but you might get a list.

#1263566 - 09/06/09 04:12 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: keyboardklutz]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the link, kbk.

I seem to have been going on about this since joining the PW forums in Feb 2007 but believe me, the teachers I've tried so far have all been disappointing - no structured learning strategy designed to match my needs, no mention of how best to practice, no tailored technique exercises. As you yourself mentioned, I'll know when - if! - I find the right teacher!

#1263605 - 09/06/09 05:48 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: Piano*Dad]
dRummie Offline

Some, or most, young players really never master how to practice for maximum benefit. They don't learn the tricks that help them identify why particular passages are giving them difficulty, so they muscle through things and make bad habits permanent. They do this in piece after piece, until that style becomes practice to them. If there was a failing, it might be that teaching how to practice wasn't very systematic once I got into advanced literature.

Like Cruiser, I am not a teacher, but felt the need to comment. This is exactly the problem I'm only now realizing I have. I'm 22, finishing university, and haven't taken a piano lesson in 2 years (having started lessons at the age of 7). Only now, reading literature on the subject and looking back, do I realize that I never knew how to practice properly. After my parents stopped monitoring my practice, I got by on a combination of sight reading, 1-2 hours of "muscling through" a week, and what I suppose is love of piano, since I did stick with it even through the rebellious adolescent years. I'm planning to resume regular daily practice (for the first time since I became a teenager!) now, and since the picture of a "practice session" no longer involves mindless drilling 'till I get it right, I can't be more excited to start again. I only wish my teacher had identified the problem back in highschool when I had much more time, and taught me how to practice. I would certainly be a better pianist for it now.

I had an excellent technical foundation from my early teachers, and they did a lot to impart to me their love of music. Proper "practicing technique", however, is equally important, especially at the higher levels where hard work is required, and it's so easy to become discouraged if it's not paying off. I'm very glad that the teachers on this forum are giving this aspect of piano instruction the attention it deserves. Your students are lucky to have teachers like you smile

On topic, I suppose the title applies to me, even though I don't consider myself to have had bad teaching. It's unlikely that I'll be able to take lessons again for some years, but after my 2-year break I realize I don't want to leave piano. It's one of my greatest joys, and if keeping it means learning to practice all over again by myself, I'm happy to do it.

#1263624 - 09/06/09 06:19 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: cruiser]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
You know, Cruiser, that I'm looking back at what I had to work with in myself in 1971 when I started to teach piano lessons for Sherman Clay in Topanga area of California. I played well despite 12 years of having no piano in my home from age 15 to 27. I had 5 kids at home that required a major part of my 24 hours a day and I had spent a lot of time, energy and effort in raising and educating them through their early years before entry into school. Coming up with projects and lessons and early education things to do were easy for me and I considered it as a careet at one point - I basically had my own nursery school - home grown.

I wondered how the first 10 lessons for 10 students would go, as I had not actually taught anyone piano before. Making music and singing, drumming, dancing, acting, charades, art, reading with kids, yes. Applied piano? No.

I think I came at teaching through my experiences when I was a learner, age 9 to 15 - I knew what I didn't want to do - I wanted to do better than my teachers had done with me. They were inspiring in their own musicianship and I heard and watched them often with their professional endeavors. One was a bandmaster and choral music director at a service academy, and one was my high school orchestra and choral director - both were fine and long term musicians. Both played piano but were not piano teachers per se. I had a previous piano teacher who had me for two years as she was my 3rd grade teacher at school. She was not a "real" piano teacher either. She did it with only a few students as a group and then we shared the music time hearing each other play. I was newest, youngest and weakest in the group - with 2 older kids that had studied with her for several years. I always felt at a disadvantage at piano lessons. My first 2 years were barely significant to me, but it was when I transferred to 3 years with the military teacher and then in high school the next teacher that I made incredible accomplishments in sight reading and interpretation and repertoire. One of the things both teachers had me doing, boy, was I scared in the beginning, was accompanying for their choirs! The orchestra teacher gave me a viola to play as the other piano accompanist also played viola, and one of us would play piano and the other viola - sometimes both being the viola section.

One of the 'hairy' things I remember was giving a recital by myself at age 11 and at the last minute before going to the piano, the teacher said, "I'm going to ask Betty to introduce the pieces and the composers before she plays." OMG! I didn't know how to pronounce some of the pieces I played, nor the composer names, it had never been mentioned before. So I just shut up and kept playing without saying a word. He stood and introduced them after the first several went by.

It's stories like this about what wasn't part of the lesson that made me aware that even with very adequate learning situation, teacher's don't always cover what you need to know.

I decided that if I were going to teach piano, I would be the kind of teacher I needed to have...and much of that has come from study, reading pedagogy, joining a professional group, taking lessons from very well prepared teachers, working very hard myself...but most of all, I think the nurturing and relationship part of the teaching has been a factor that I insist upon...we just have to connect and communicate together...or I don't think it works in the same way to really be of influence on another musician and guide his development.

That to me is what is missing when we give up being an influence or guide to allow students to master mind the pieces that we will teach the concepts from. I think it's important that he chooses some materials, but the system and logic of music learning works so much better when there is a guidance to what comes next, and knowing the how, when and why of choosing the next piece is NOT a given among most teachers. They turn pages to turn pages without the emphasis being on what works best for the next step.

Scala is a ladder - we should be accountable for our students climbing the ladder making progress on their way to success - which is to me musicianship and independence - the reason for teaching - the reason for being a piano student.

The joy of it is really in the accumulation of worth while experiences, I think.

Cruiser, you would be most welcome here. I would love for you to find that teacher who makes a big difference to you. Do you know what is missing? Find a teacher who has studied pedagogy and you will begin to find the type of learning you crave.

Best!

Betty

#1263630 - 09/06/09 06:35 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: Betty Patnude]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
KBK, are you talking about classical pedagogy? Isn't any book or teacher going to help you with this? After all, how many ways are there to play it "correctly?"

#1263821 - 09/07/09 03:00 AM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: eweiss]
keyboardklutz Offline

By 'it', eweiss, I mean the piano and though some disagree there is a correct way to play it - with the greatest ease possible.

#1263849 - 09/07/09 04:52 AM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: cruiser]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: cruiser

Where does a 58 year old - desperate to make the most of his precious time - find that right teacher in Hamburg, Germany? I've 'tried' several and none of them - NONE OF THEM! - have 'it'!

I don't believe it, you're missing something.

#1263850 - 09/07/09 04:55 AM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: keyboardklutz]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Instrumental pedagogy is kinda about making something that feels pretty awkward feel natural without subsuming unwanted tension.

Something that feels awkward? What do you mean?

#1263869 - 09/07/09 06:02 AM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: landorrano]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: landorrano
Like wrapping a violin 'round your chin.

#1263902 - 09/07/09 08:34 AM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: landorrano]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: cruiser

Where does a 58 year old - desperate to make the most of his precious time - find that right teacher in Hamburg, Germany? I've 'tried' several and none of them - NONE OF THEM! - have 'it'!

I don't believe it, you're missing something.

Yes, you're right, I am missing something, and when I find it I'll let you know.

#1263946 - 09/07/09 10:50 AM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: cruiser]

Originally Posted By: dRummie
Only now, reading literature on the subject and looking back, do I realize that I never knew how to practice properly. After my parents stopped monitoring my practice, I got by on a combination of sight reading, 1-2 hours of "muscling through" a week, and what I suppose is love of piano, since I did stick with it even through the rebellious adolescent years.

I think dRummie's experience is common enough. This is one of the reasons why I still occasionally monitor my son's practice and offer my advice (for what it's worth) about how he practices.

Here's a concrete example of a recent dad intervention in his practice. On the last page of Gershwin's First Prelude there is a rapid right hand passage that starts .... D-E-A♭-D-E-G-A♭(octave). He would make little slips repeatedly in the octaves at the end, and the middle notes (E and A♭) seemed to get swallowed up and indistinct sounding. He would repeat the pattern over and over hoping just to get the pattern in his head, but I could see that slight concentration lapses crept in as he shifted his attention to the left hand issues. The right hand simply needed to be on autopilot and that required some analysis of why repeating the notes over and over wasn't working for him. He was really having two problems, and two little 'tricks' solved them. The jump from A♭ to D (3rd finger to first) was the first problem ... that thumb sliding smoothly underneath and then landing a firm forte on the D. Repeated practice of the first four notes, with special attention on the jump, and bingo, problem solved. The second problem was landing the first octave smoothly. That required going from the third finger (on G) to an octave on A♭. Repeated practice of just that one move solved that problem. What I was able to do was help him break down his issues into tiny little parts. It was those parts that caused all the problems. Five minutes of practice and voila, problem solved.

Should his teacher have caught this? Well, maybe. And maybe she did. She sees him for one hour per week, and they have a lot on their plate. But I have the luxury of being able to work with him at will in the comfort of my home. And I can focus on helping him see how I broke apart his one little problem. Hopefully, that will help him think through technical issues more quickly in the future.

In order to help him refine his practice technique, I will gladly accept the darts from those who think I'm a micromanaging and overbearing ogre. There is something about those high school years, some combination of light rebellion plus other social and schooling demands, that can easily pull a young person into developing a series of bad habits. They're easy to fall in to, and if you're good the consequences aren't hugely noticeable to the student. This is true in part because the student cannot easily imagine what their trajectory might have been if they had learned how to work more efficiently.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1264057 - 09/07/09 01:35 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: keyboardklutz]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Like wrapping a violin 'round your chin.

If a musical instrument "feels pretty awkward" to you, you are going to transmit that mistrust to a student no matter what you say or try to demonstrate.

#1264081 - 09/07/09 02:19 PM Re: Are you a desperado? [Re: landorrano]
keyboardklutz Offline

If a musical instrument "feels pretty awkward" to you, you are going to transmit that mistrust to a student no matter what you say or try to demonstrate.
That's a very important point (I feel a thread coming on). The sign you are a good player is when you sense something as awkward but have no awkwardness interacting with it. It's a kinda out'a body thing. Poor players subsume the awkwardness as unnecessary tension and it disappears from their radar. In other words, never lose those initial awkward feelings - keep the feelings not the tension.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano beats in groups
by SKJP
42 minutes 38 seconds ago
What to look for in a keyboard
by Tikki56
Today at 06:30 PM
Christmas duets for Student and Teacher
by Purpl3keys
Today at 06:24 PM
The Steinway S in 1936
by Rich Galassini
Today at 06:21 PM
Yamaha CP5
by Synner
Today at 05:43 PM
Who's Online
130 registered (ajames, 36251, A Guy, accordeur, 40 invisible), 1444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76396 Members
42 Forums
157935 Topics
2319415 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission