2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
dRummie Offline OP
OP Offline
D
My search for a DP is hopefully coming to a close: I'm homing in on a Roland, either the FP-4 or the FP-7. The final decision will rest on my experience with the FP-7 when I can get my hands on one. However, the difference in price is not small here (Toronto, Canada), and the cost of accessories may well play a large part in my decision.

Besides the piano I will need: a stand, a height-adjustable bench and an extra pedal unit. I'd prefer to have 3 pedals, but can live with una corda alone depending on the price.

How much can I expect these things to cost me, assuming I don't want to sacrifice quality? I've looked at pricing online, but the differences are sometimes huge ($50-300 for stands, e.g.), and I don't know from experience whether the lower-priced ones are sturdy enough and so on.

I'm also having a hard time finding a 3-pedal unit anywhere. Does it have to be from Roland to work with Roland pianos?

Thanks in advance.

S
S
I see that the FP-7 costs $1900 USD at several US online sites. Not sure if the price is different in Canada, but ...

Do you need a portable keyboard? If not, why not buy a Roland HP-203 or Yamaha CLP-330. After adding stand, bench, and pedals to the FP-7, you might be spending more on the FP-7 than on an HP-203 or CLP-330 (both of which include all of those accessories)! (That's assuming that the pricing structure in Canada is similar to the US.)

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by dRummie
My search for a DP is hopefully coming to a close: I'm homing in on a Roland, either the FP-4 or the FP-7. The final decision will rest on my experience with the FP-7 when I can get my hands on one. However, the difference in price is not small here (Toronto, Canada), and the cost of accessories may well play a large part in my decision.

Besides the piano I will need: a stand, a height-adjustable bench and an extra pedal unit. I'd prefer to have 3 pedals, but can live with una corda alone depending on the price.

How much can I expect these things to cost me, assuming I don't want to sacrifice quality? I've looked at pricing online, but the differences are sometimes huge ($50-300 for stands, e.g.), and I don't know from experience whether the lower-priced ones are sturdy enough and so on.

I'm also having a hard time finding a 3-pedal unit anywhere. Does it have to be from Roland to work with Roland pianos?

Thanks in advance.

Have you checked out the bundles, I think they are on Kraft? For a lot of the keyboards they include all that stuff for a discounted price. Also, I think if you call the online dealers, they might give you a better deal or throw in something for free.

D
dRummie Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Steve - I haven't yet checked the prices. The online retailers I saw don't list them, and I haven't got around to calling. I don't know how much the difference between the FP-7 and the HP203 is, so could you clarify how much you'd expect to pay for the stand etc. that would put the FP-7 overtop? And I do need a keyboard I can transport by car, so unless the price difference is huge, I'd have to stay with the portables.

Nikalette - thanks for the tip, I'll ask when I call regarding their pricing.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
dRummie,

In US$, stands can run anywhere from $40 up to over $200. Figure a decent Z stand runs about $100. I use a double X stand on a carpet and it is pretty stable. The single X stands are generally not considered stable.

Pedals run about $30 each. I'm not sure if the Roland keyboards come with a single pedal, but both the FP4 and FP7 support 3 pedals.

Benches run from $30 to $100 for keyboard benches. You can also use a piano bench, in which case the adjustable ones can easily be over $200 again.

Rich

Last edited by DragonPianoPlayer; 09/06/09 07:32 AM.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
D
dRummie Offline OP
OP Offline
D
The Rolands come with a sustain pedal only, but since they support the others, am I correct in assuming that any extra pedal will function as una corda or sostenuto if plugged into the appropriate jack?

I'm not sure of the difference between a piano bench and a keyboard bench. I don't need storage space inside, just a sturdy adjustable seat.

So far I'm up to about $200 with:
- this bench - $45
- this stand - $80
- this pedal (x2) - $60-70

Do those sound like decent options? I'm mainly wondering about the stability of the bench and stand. Thanks a lot for your help!

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/keyboards/88keykeyboards/index.asp?product=5674

Here's an example from Kraft. They usually have 3 or 4 options for their listed bundles: the Essentials, Home, Pro/Stage, or Ultimate, with various things added in.

It looks like it's usually a decent savings. Don't just look at this though. Go back and do a search in their web page for the FP 4 and the FP 7, I'm pretty sure you'll have at least 3 or 4 options listed and then if you call you might even get a better deal.

Last edited by Nikalette; 09/06/09 02:58 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission