Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1263654 - 09/06/09 07:33 PM If Clair de Lune is so "easy"...
TonyY Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Why is it grade 10 RCM (highest level in piano excluding ARCT diplomas) I was just looking through some pieces that a student of mine could do for grade 10, and came across this.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1263696 - 09/06/09 08:59 PM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: TonyY]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Who said Claire de Lune was easy?

#1263698 - 09/06/09 09:02 PM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: debrucey]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
As far as I can tell, no one.

smile

Cathy

#1263707 - 09/06/09 09:14 PM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: debrucey]
Clayton Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: bruce-san

Well, it's not very difficult to, as a friend of mine who took up casual piano lessons once said, "punch the right keys at the right time".

Whether that means the piece is easy or not is an entirely separate question.

Clayton -
Johannes Brahms - Intermezzo Op. 118 No. 2

#1263711 - 09/06/09 09:22 PM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: Clayton]
TonyY Offline

T-O-N-S of people say it's easy, technically it's very simple, and the tempo is quite slow. Like the person above said, "punch the right keys at the right time."

#1263712 - 09/06/09 09:24 PM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: TonyY]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TonyY
Why is it grade 10 RCM (highest level in piano excluding ARCT diplomas) I was just looking through some pieces that a student of mine could do for grade 10, and came across this.

Interpretive difficulty, I'd say. Debussy is a whole other kettle of fish than the Romantic music. That's why I haven't touched any. I do love to listen, however. smile

#1263739 - 09/06/09 10:30 PM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: Horowitzian]
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm a lowly intermediate (though improving) and I found it an awkward bear. Easy enough to "punch the right notes." Another matter entirely to play it well.

#1263751 - 09/06/09 11:08 PM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: Clayton]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted By: Clayton
"punch the right keys at the right time"

Scarbo and the Liszt Transcendental Etudes can also be played using this method. wink
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1263774 - 09/07/09 12:05 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: Kreisler]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
I'm not familiar with RCM's grading scale and don't know offhand where to find a syllabus. What else is classified as Grade 10?

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1263783 - 09/07/09 12:19 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: sotto voce]
TonyY Offline

Thanks everyone for the answers, they are all very helpful. (especially Horowitzian)

Sotto Voce, I reckon you are from the U.S and is probably and only familiar with the ABRSM system. Well, many say that Grade 10 RCM is similar to Grade 8 ABRSM, the Repertoire, technical requirements, aural, and sight-reading. The only difference is that there are 5 repertoire pieces instead of three. This is a Grade 10 syllabus similar to the RCM syllabus: http://www.bccmexaminations.ca/downloads/grade10.pdf

#1263792 - 09/07/09 12:37 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: Clayton]
beginningpianist Offline

“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach

#1263794 - 09/07/09 12:41 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: TonyY]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Actually, I'm equally unfamiliar with RCM and ABRSM; neither is standard here except for teachers who choose to follow their curricula, and we have no such national organization of our own.

Thanks for the link!

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1263795 - 09/07/09 12:43 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: beginningpianist]
CherryCoke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Have you actually looked at the score? It's not that easy to actually count it correctly. I don't play this piece myself, but I've taught it numerous times. Invariably, I am *always* correcting rhythm.

#1263796 - 09/07/09 12:43 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: Kreisler]
GoldenSound Offline

Loc: Rural Iowa
I'm pretty sure that whack-a-mole uses the same philosophy! Debussy always has it's challenges whether it requires big chords, fast linear passages, or slow solemn tempi. Debussy is rarely "easy".
"Recommend virtue to your children; it alone, not money, can make them happy. I speak from experience; this was what upheld me in time of misery. Thanks for it and to my art, I did not end my life by suicide."
~Ludwig Van Beethoven~

#1263797 - 09/07/09 12:46 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: CherryCoke]
TonyY Offline

Originally Posted By: CherryCoke
Have you actually looked at the score? It's not that easy to actually count it correctly. I don't play this piece myself, but I've taught it numerous times. Invariably, I am *always* correcting rhythm.

Well said, many people play it in the wrong time, or try to hide it with rubato.

Edited by TonyY (09/07/09 12:47 AM)

#1263800 - 09/07/09 01:10 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: TonyY]
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
By the way, while the opening may be slow, the middle section moves at a brisker pace and does actually contain some awkward moments for fingering.

"La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin" is grade 9 by RCM standards as well. Technically someone of grade 5 or above would probably be able to hammer out all the right notes, but I think the RCM is trying to say that the interpretative demands of this pieces are not suited until a certain level of proficiency is attained.

#1263802 - 09/07/09 01:13 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: TonyY]
veem Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Originally Posted By: TonyY

This is a Grade 10 syllabus similar to the RCM syllabus: http://www.bccmexaminations.ca/downloads/grade10.pdf

Why is Clair de lune listed under Preludes, Book 2 rather than Suite Bergamasque on the syllabus?
I'm not all that familiar with Debussy preludes, but I've listened to all of them a few times.
It probably means La terrasse des audiences au clair de lune, the seventh prelude in book 2?

Edited by eggsdeee (09/07/09 01:15 AM)

#1263804 - 09/07/09 01:19 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: veem]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: eggsdeee
Why is Clair de lune listed under Preludes, Book 2 rather than Suite Bergamasque on the syllabus?...
It probably means La terrasse des audiences au clair de lune, the seventh prelude in book 2?
Which would mean that Clair de lune (from Suite Bergamasque) is actually not on the G10 syllabus at all. So to the OP, if you're thinking of entering a student for G10, you need to contact RCM and check this.

#1263808 - 09/07/09 01:51 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: currawong]
NocturneLover Offline

Loc: Dantooine
This was the song that I first picked up after not playing piano for four years. It was daunting at first, especially when you look at the second page. But everything becomes easier with practice.

There are parts that I still need to polish like the arps, but I would say Clair de lune is fairly intermediate or intermediate/advanced piece.

#1263809 - 09/07/09 01:54 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: currawong]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
I believe that Claire de Lune has been previously classified as a Grade 7 piece by ABRSM which means that a good student could be ready for to learn it with help from a teacher after anywhere from 4 to 5 years of structured lessons and appropriate practicing. This seems to agree with kbk's comments that a Grade 5 student was able to use time and energy to learn it to a good standard.

#1263811 - 09/07/09 02:02 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: theJourney]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
I have never seen it on a grade 7 (ABRSM) list. Both the Arabesques have recently appeared on grade 8 and Clair de Lune is more advanced than those. I played it (not very well) for my University audition.

#1263824 - 09/07/09 03:14 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: Chris H.]
nanabush Offline

Loc: Canada
There's a bunch of stuff that seems "easy" just because of the tempo. Try playing Claire de Lune convincingly for an examiner. It's probably easier to polish than a lot of the List D stuff for grade 10, but if you look at the Debussy stuff for Grade 9 (Fille au Cheveux de Lin, Canope) in the same style, the latter pieces are definitely a level below in terms of difficulty.

Debussy's slower stuff is overflowing with little expressive bits; someone doing Grade 8 or even 9 may not be able to properly convey the mood.

I'd rather hear someone play the piece well prepared regardless of if it's too easy for them, than someone who isn't quite at that level play it half-decent.

I did Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum for my Grade 10 - now that's a straightforward technical piece that probably doesn't have as many interpretive issues as Claire de Lune.

-----
And that BCC Syllabus is loaded with mistakes. The Passepied AND Claire de Lune belong in the Suite Bergamasque. It's pretty much the same as the RCM Grade 10, just some title errors.

For the ARCT in the syllabus, the new edition, they put L'Isle Joyeuse under Image BK2. It's clear that the piece belongs in ARCT, it's just a careless mistake as to where they classified it.

Edited by nanabush (09/07/09 03:19 AM)

#1263836 - 09/07/09 04:06 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: Theowne]
Clayton Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Theowne
By the way, while the opening may be slow, the middle section moves at a brisker pace and does actually contain some awkward moments for fingering.

"La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin" is grade 9 by RCM standards as well. Technically someone of grade 5 or above would probably be able to hammer out all the right notes, but I think the RCM is trying to say that the interpretative demands of this pieces are not suited until a certain level of proficiency is attained.

The fingering and phrasing is non-trivial, despite the slow tempo.

Clayton -
Johannes Brahms - Intermezzo Op. 118 No. 2

#1263844 - 09/07/09 04:33 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: Clayton]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
The counting's always so poor. Count 9 a bar with the score and listen to this appallingness:

Dave, that's bang out of order!

Now Stokowski's nearly got it:

#1263848 - 09/07/09 04:45 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: debrucey]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
Originally Posted By: bruce-san

Although nobody has actually said it's easy the thread 'Clair de Lune from scratch' certainly implies it. Hugh states that the lessons are aimed at the beginning pianist. The title implies that you are going to learn how to play this piece by following the lessons even if you have no previous knowledge or experience.

The only other person I know who advises people to choose pieces which are too difficult and try to learn them measure by measure is Gyro and everyone makes fun of him.

I would imagine that most people are realistic and know that it will take them a long time to reach this standard but what about those who don't appreciate this? Is there a chance that they could be put off when in fact they can't play Clair de Lune after watching the videos? Might they think (as many adults seem to) that there must be something wrong with them?

#1263881 - 09/07/09 06:52 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: Chris H.]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
IMO Debussy is no more difficult(or easier)interpretively than any great composer. Some posters may have played fewer pieces by him than other compsers and so be unfamiliar with his style.

One person's easy can be another's very difficult so what people "say" is not very meaningful here. As far as the classification to grade 10(if correct) goes, it seem tojust mean that the classification system is meant for students up to a certain level of playing. One cannot assume grade 10 means the hardest pieces in the piano literature.

#1263887 - 09/07/09 07:11 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: Chris H.]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
I don't know if it was on a recent syllabus or just in one of their "Grade 7 bundle" books.

ABRSM also does tend to also move pieces between grades from time tom time (presumably changing only the expected standard to which it will be played).

I believe the conclusion amongst teachers on the abrsm forum was that it would be between grade 7 and grade 8. If a student had played a variety of Grade 7 pieces and passed grade 7 -- perhaps having done Little Shephard, I see no reason why they would not be able to tackle this piece and play it to a high standard.

#1263945 - 09/07/09 10:49 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: currawong]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: currawong
Why is Clair de lune listed under Preludes, Book 2 rather than Suite Bergamasque on the syllabus?...
Which would mean that Clair de lune (from Suite Bergamasque) is actually not on the G10 syllabus at all. So to the OP, if you're thinking of entering a student for G10, you need to contact RCM and check this.

Just a small point of clarification :

The link provided to the erroneous listing was to the BCCM (British Columbia Conservatory of Music (Vancouver)), not to the RCM (Toronto).

In the RCM Piano Syllabus, Clair de Lune is listed, along with the other three pieces from Suite Bergamasque as Grade 10 examination pieces.

The BCCM - for what this second-hand information is worth - was started by a disgruntled former RCM member (examiner? faculty? I don't know), dismissed from the RCM for unprofessionalism. The BCCM Piano Syllabus almost copies the RCM (Toronto) Piano Syllabus, except for this error.

Regards,

#1263953 - 09/07/09 11:02 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: BruceD]
TonyY Offline

Originally Posted By: Theowne

Very true, I *almost did La fille de Cheveux de Lin for my grade 9, but decided not to, I was a little uncertain about my interpretation.

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Originally Posted By: currawong

Just a small point of clarification :

The link provided to the erroneous listing was to the BCCM (British Columbia Conservatory of Music (Vancouver)), not to the RCM (Toronto).

In the RCM Piano Syllabus, Clair de Lune is listed, along with the other three pieces from Suite Bergamasque as Grade 10 examination pieces.

The BCCM - for what this second-hand information is worth - was started by a disgruntled former RCM member (examiner? faculty? I don't know), dismissed from the RCM for unprofessionalism. The BCCM Piano Syllabus almost copies the RCM (Toronto) Piano Syllabus, except for this error.

Regards,

Thanks Bruce, I didn't have the syllabus with me.

#1263954 - 09/07/09 11:04 AM Re: If Clair de Lune is so "easy"... [Re: TonyY]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
No, you're right, it's like playing the Goldberg.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
International Junior Piano Competition & Festival
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:35 AM
Who's Online
142 registered (ando, ajames, accordeur, 36251, 39 invisible), 1554 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157889 Topics
2318827 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission