2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 29 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 28 29
OP Offline
Originally Posted by CoffeeLover
Hi Hugh-

Bumblebee perfectly makes sense in the measures 15 through 18 which I didn't get the rhythm right until now. You are amazing!

I just hope this is not taking too much of your time away from your family.
Zoo, Disney land, romantic dinner and stuff...
If there is anything I can help to save some of your time, please let me know.
I really mean it.

Thanks again.
That's so sweet of you, CoffeeLover! Thanks so much - i may PM you with some computer network questions soon. Have a great holiday weekend!

Last edited by Hugh Sung; 09/05/09 03:19 PM.
OP Offline
Lesson #23 Measures 15-16 Part 3

After learning the raw notes, we talk about how to smooth out the entire passage without rhythmic "speed bumps". We develop some custom exercises to overcome the most dangerous spots in the passage by isolating them and focusing them in a separate document called a "Practice Journal" (my PJ's!) By developing smart practicing strategies instead of just plowing through note to note, we can speed our learning exponentially.

Enjoy, and have a terrific Labor Day Holiday, Everyone!

EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Hugh,

I've been avidly following your tutorials and whilst not currently learning this piece (it is on my ToDo list though) I wanted to say how much I've enjoyed watching your approach, techniques and methods.

There is much to learn from this, the most recent lesson (23) on cutting and pasting to build a "Practice Journal" is particularly noteworthy and an excellent idea.

One comment though, I have tried to do something very similar in the past using Adobe Acrobat Reader and PDF files, but (a big but!)... It doesn't appear to allow you to cut and paste as easily as you can in your video demonstartions. When using Adobe, I had to maximise the application and score and take a full "desktop" screen grab, then do further processing of this image in MS Paint to get the individual bars or phrases I was after, which, whilst it worked, was quite laborious.

Please can you tell us a bit more about the features of the MusicReader software and can it "read" or load PDF sheet music files?

Thanks

G
Gary001
Unregistered
Gary001
Unregistered
G
EJR: If you have Windows Vista, you can make use of the "snipping" tool to copy rectangular or irregular sections of the screen which can then be pasted into windows journal or another app of your choice. It removes the print screen/paste in graphics app, copy small section steps.

Not sure if the snipping tool is available for XP except as part of the Tablet edition? There's probably a similar app you can install though, but if you're using Vista, you already have it smile

MusicReader which you've seen in Hugh's videos, comes as two programs, the first (seen in the videos) displays the score and allow you to move forwards/backwards through it in full or half page steps. Along with various annotation options such as freehand drawing on the score and a few other features.

The 2nd is Music Convertor which will take a set of image files (or via scanner) and allow you to put them together in a suitable page order (you can repeat pages as needed too). This is then saved for later use in Music Reader.

The final option, which is what you'd use for the PDF files, is a virtual printer that music reader installs. So getting a pdf into music convertor is as simple as opening it and selecting print smile

There's a demo of MusicReader that is worth installing and giving a road test.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Gary001
EJR: If you have Windows Vista, you can make use of the "snipping" tool to copy rectangular or irregular sections of the screen which can then be pasted into windows journal or another app of your choice. It removes the print screen/paste in graphics app, copy small section steps.

Not sure if the snipping tool is available for XP except as part of the Tablet edition? There's probably a similar app you can install though, but if you're using Vista, you already have it smile

MusicReader which you've seen in Hugh's videos, comes as two programs, the first (seen in the videos) displays the score and allow you to move forwards/backwards through it in full or half page steps. Along with various annotation options such as freehand drawing on the score and a few other features.

The 2nd is Music Convertor which will take a set of image files (or via scanner) and allow you to put them together in a suitable page order (you can repeat pages as needed too). This is then saved for later use in Music Reader.

The final option, which is what you'd use for the PDF files, is a virtual printer that music reader installs. So getting a pdf into music convertor is as simple as opening it and selecting print smile

There's a demo of MusicReader that is worth installing and giving a road test.

Thanks so much, Gary001! Couldn't have explained Vista's Snipping tool or MusicReader better than that wink

You can download a free demo version of MusicReader for Windows or Mac here:

MusicReader demo page at www.AirTurn.com

I'll work on another video talking about other snipping options for Windows XP and Mac, as well as an overview of MusicReader's capabilities. It's an amazing program that i use every day for my performing, practicing, and teaching activities.

One of the main motivations in creating the "Clair de lune from scratch" series has been to show how powerful and effective digital tools like MusicReader can be for music pedagogy. The only way to truly appreciate what these tools can do is to "experience them" first hand, and I hope you'll continue to find these video lessons helpful.

Have fun practicing, and don't forget to enjoy your holiday weekend for those of you in the USA!

C
C
I'm all caught up with the videos through lesson #23, now I need to practice more.

Now that we've got a taste of something different in the piece with measures #15-16, I can see how we'll make it to 27, but I'm really curious to see what happens from there all the way through the end of the piece, which looks impossible to me right now!

Thanks for these, Hugh. Clear teaching, good quality videos, and all the bells and whistles really help out. You've got quite a setup and a lot of talent to put it to use.

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Hugh
OK-it wasn't a "duh" slap myself on the forehead moment, but the tai chi example in lesson #19 really hit home. I've practiced tai chi and now the connection I think will help me in all my playing! Thanks for ANOTHER great learning tip!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hugh,

I am very interested in learning how to use the cut/paste applications in conjunction with Music Reader. I'm using a Mac.

Really enjoying the lessons. Thanks again

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Elwyn also sent me a PM that I responded to but I thought I'd post a response here too since I've gotten another request to make this thread sticky.

We made the collective decision a while ago to limit the number of sticky threads cluttering the front page and instead create the "important topics" thread with links to threads of enduring value such as the recitals, study groups, etc. We currently have a recital and 4-5 study groups active so you can see there'd be an awful lot of sticky threads.

I agree this has been and continues to be a very interesting and useful thread (thanks Hugh!) And will add it to the list of study groups in the "important topics" thread. I'm somewhat internet challenged at this point but I promise I won't forget.

Also, please don't hijack this excellent thread to debate whether this or other threads should or shouldn't be sticky.

Greg
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Just wanted to say that I am still lurking on this thread - and enjoying the tutorials.

Who says learning classical music has to be boring??

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm eagerly awaiting lesson 24 Hugh, and thanks again for this excellent series.

Michael
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hey Cruiser, it's Labor Day! You're supposed to take the day off.
Ooops, I see you're in Germany. Oh well, never mind. smile

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
'ooops' from here too, jazzyprof - thanks for the reminder and I hope you've all had - are having - a relaxing hol in the USA!

Michael
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hugh,

Here's a Russian edition of the score with fingering (from piano.ru):

http://www.box.net/shared/yqm7j4n21e

Your fingering is easier, but this edition is nice to have, even with the difficult stretch from Eb to Bb with 5-4 in measure 5.

It's really, really great to hear you stress the joy of learning to play.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mel, these fingerings are very similar to those which I use. My teacher suggested them as they allow for playing legato throughout, and she is totally paranoid about legato playing (which I actually very like about her teaching). They might be more difficult for some though, as they seem awkward at times.

Thanks for the score, I'm sure many will find it useful!

M.

Last edited by Mati; 09/08/09 02:47 AM.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
OP Offline
Lesson #24: Measures 15-16 & Measure 17, Part 1

Now that we've learned the notes for measures 15-16, we'll explore a couple of pedaling options. Be sure to review lessons 16.1 and 16.2 for the basics on pedaling if you haven't seen them before.
We then start to look at the beginning of measure 17, by noticing a new French term for the "right hand" ("main droite") which helps play an extra note together with the left hand. I also give a quick overview of what we'll cover in the next lessons for measures 17-18.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by dannylux
Hugh,

Here's a Russian edition of the score with fingering (from piano.ru):

http://www.box.net/shared/yqm7j4n21e

Your fingering is easier, but this edition is nice to have, even with the difficult stretch from Eb to Bb with 5-4 in measure 5.

It's really, really great to hear you stress the joy of learning to play.

Mel

Thank you so much for this score, Mel! The fingering i give in the videos lessons are purposefully simplified - if there's enough interest out there, I could look into presenting a seminar to explore some cool advanced fingering and pedaling techniques smile

R
R
Hi Hugh. I just joined your "class". I just wanted to say thanks so much for all the work your putting into this! :-)

Last edited by RobinL; 09/08/09 07:05 AM.
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Hugh,

There is something I'd noticed in the recently covered bars that I'd like to ask about. It's the articulation mark "tenuto" (I think) either above or below the chords.

In bars 15 (top note of the chords both LH & RH), in bar 16 (top RH & Bottom LH), and in bar 17 other than the first RH chord, they are not present.

Does this mean that the note should be accented and if so: how can you vary the relative 'emphasis' of the notes within a chord and can you suggest any ways or methods to practice this skill?

Best wishes,

OP Offline
Originally Posted by RobinL
Hi Hugh. I just joined your "class". I just wanted to say thanks so much for all the work your putting into this! :-)

Welcome to the "class", RobinL! Hope you have fun learning alongside the rest of us!

Page 8 of 29 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 28 29

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission