Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1262735 - 09/05/09 01:02 AM sight reading materials
pcs99 Offline

Loc: toronto
I have been teaching for quite a long time. However, I have difficult time to find real good sight reading book for my students, I mean for serious training purpose. I found that those available materials are not consistent and not enough for my students to improve their sight reading skill. Anyone know any great sight reading book that can recommend me to use? thanks

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1262800 - 09/05/09 04:58 AM Re: sight reading materials [Re: pcs99]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
I have found the same problems with 'sight reading' books. They are also extremely boring and the examples are not satisfying to play even when completed. That's why I no longer bother with any of these books!

I think the best thing you can do is make sure they have something new to learn every week. The ability to sight read well takes a long time to develop and draws on your experience as a musician. The only way to improve is to keep doing it. However, I find it best not to draw attention to the act of sight reading as most students don't like the thought of it. This is probably because it frustrates them and struggling to play something in front of someone is very unpleasant.

Another thing you can do is encourage them to get involved in ensembles where they will need to read new pieces off the cuff on a regular basis. Learning how to accompany is a good example. Joining a choir and sight singing is also useful as the two skills are connected. The best sight readers are those who can look at the score and know how it will sound. Again, it's a musicianship skill.

Sight reading seems to be the holy grail of piano playing. The idea that you could play anything without having to practise is tempting but unfortunately unrealistic.

#1262819 - 09/05/09 07:34 AM Re: sight reading materials [Re: Chris H.]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I've been using "American Popular Piano" by Christopher Norton. The pieces are attractive, have duet parts, and the students seem to like them all quite a bit.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1262882 - 09/05/09 11:09 AM Re: sight reading materials [Re: Kreisler]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Just give them real music! Just make it a bit lower than the level they currently are studying. Duets are great for sightreading in the lesson, but not at home.

#1263193 - 09/05/09 09:18 PM Re: sight reading materials [Re: Minniemay]
Pete the bean Offline

Loc: Canada
I found these useful and the pieces enjoyable enough http://www.musicroom.com/Search/gsearch.aspx?searchtext=right%40sight
In Canada they are available at Long and Mcquade.
Also for the intermediate students, I think John Novello's Stylistic Etudes are amazing for contemporary styles.

#1263573 - 09/06/09 04:30 PM Re: sight reading materials [Re: Pete the bean]
EDWARDIAN Offline

Loc: New York, USA
Hey pcs -

Funny, there is a topic on sight reading in the ABF I just responded to!

For the longest time I didn't see the point of "sight reading books", but then I discovered
Hannah Smith's book. The exercises go progressively from beginner to intermediate level, and really
help my students a lot. Very good for recognizing patterns, intervals, rhythms, etc.

We do a few exercises each lesson, depending on the student's need, and I
find it quite a helpful teaching tool. thumb

Hope this helps.

Joan

Private piano teacher, 20+ years
EDWARDIAN45@hotmail.com

#1263598 - 09/06/09 05:22 PM Re: sight reading materials [Re: EDWARDIAN]
pianomommy1 Offline

Loc: Florida
I use Paul Harris' Improve Your Sightreading series put out by Faber Music -- It IS in "English" so it speaks of "quavers, semiquavers, etc) and it gives me just an extra chance to tell my students about music is the universal language but there are some "changes" between cultures. It works well and actually there are 3 sets - Improve, MORE-Improve, and PERFECT your sightreading. I do "test" my students as the book suggests but we also APPLY the concepts into "real" music -- The First series has 9 levels, the second has 5 and the 3rd has 3

This series is also used at Stetson University as part of their "keyboard proficiency" classes.

#1263789 - 09/07/09 12:32 AM Re: sight reading materials [Re: pianomommy1]
TonyY Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
I recommend Four-Star: Ear training and Sight-reading. It's by Frederick Harris Publishing (RCM), they have tons at Remenyi. But- I really think you should just get your student a repertoire book two to three grades below his/her actual grade (if you are familiar with the RCM system, which I believe you are)

#1263805 - 09/07/09 01:29 AM Re: sight reading materials [Re: TonyY]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Originally Posted By: TonyY
But- I really think you should just get your student a repertoire book two to three grades below his/her actual grade

I have a question for your teachers' experience: The material I'd be using for sight reading practice would be quite elementary -- my current playing level is pretty basic, right around the Telemann Gavotte in my sig. What beginner's books would be most interesting and musically rewarding for me to buy to use for additional sight reading practice?

I have computer software that quizzes me on note & interval recognition, rhythm reading, etc. While that can be invigorating, it's not a very musical experience. So I'd like my sight reading practice to have as much musical payoff as possible.

Given that preference, what books would you recommend for me to buy?

[edited because I wasn't being very clear, I don't think]

I'm talking not about designated sight reading books, but ordinary learning material that's easier than the baby repertoire I've been doing from Keith Snell's Preparatory Level Repertoire books. Regular beginner-beginner "repertoire" books, by which I mean as much music and as little other stuff as possible.

Perhaps material that stays in 5-finger positions in various easy keys, with melodies passing from hand to hand, with maybe just a few 2-handed simultaneous notes (or a I, IV, V accompanying chord).

Am I visualizing something that exists? My sheet music store has this huge wall of piano instructional material, but it's so tightly slotted in there that you need to know what you're looking for to start with -- it's not easily browsable.

Edited by tangleweeds (09/07/09 03:14 AM)

neglected piano blog

#1264210 - 09/07/09 06:24 PM Re: sight reading materials [Re: tangleweeds]
TonyY Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Originally Posted By: tangleweeds
Originally Posted By: TonyY
But- I really think you should just get your student a repertoire book two to three grades below his/her actual grade

I have a question for your teachers' experience: The material I'd be using for sight reading practice would be quite elementary -- my current playing level is pretty basic, right around the Telemann Gavotte in my sig. What beginner's books would be most interesting and musically rewarding for me to buy to use for additional sight reading practice?

I have computer software that quizzes me on note & interval recognition, rhythm reading, etc. While that can be invigorating, it's not a very musical experience. So I'd like my sight reading practice to have as much musical payoff as possible.

Given that preference, what books would you recommend for me to buy?

[edited because I wasn't being very clear, I don't think]

I'm talking not about designated sight reading books, but ordinary learning material that's easier than the baby repertoire I've been doing from Keith Snell's Preparatory Level Repertoire books. Regular beginner-beginner "repertoire" books, by which I mean as much music and as little other stuff as possible.

Perhaps material that stays in 5-finger positions in various easy keys, with melodies passing from hand to hand, with maybe just a few 2-handed simultaneous notes (or a I, IV, V accompanying chord).

Am I visualizing something that exists? My sheet music store has this huge wall of piano instructional material, but it's so tightly slotted in there that you need to know what you're looking for to start with -- it's not easily browsable.

To be honest, I don't usually give out "sight-reading homework" to my students at the elementary level due to the fact that it isn't really a concern until until grade 5 or 6. I usually use Alfred's piano library lesson books for kids that just started piano, so I would recommend that, I believe it has three levels. It comprises some familiar tunes, and it teaches you about some basic theory to go along with the playing. Just browse through you before you buy it to see if you like it or not.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
4 vs 3, Practice slow or fast?
by Pover
09/19/14 07:24 AM
Cable Nelson Upright
by Paul678
09/19/14 07:12 AM
Studio monitors for a digital piano
by diegopefm
09/19/14 05:18 AM
Has anyone tried out wireless USB hubs for software pianos?
by Allan W.
09/19/14 02:34 AM
What books do you use for teaching beginners?
by Daffodil
09/19/14 12:54 AM
Who's Online
93 registered (anotherscott, 36251, barbaram, alexbergauer, Adypiano, 28 invisible), 1051 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157621 Topics
2315176 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission