Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1264338 - 09/08/09 12:28 AM Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)?
Tiana Offline

Loc: QLD Australia

I am sitting my Amus exam for piano in less than 2 weeks. I am starting to stress and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the exam? Especially the general knowledge content. What type of things do you need to know about the piece, composer and period (in detail)? Also what type of questions do they ask you, and how good do you need to play to pass?

Also does anyone have the AMEB syllabus? I don't, and was wondering if someone could tell me exactly what is says for the General Knowledge section of the Associate Diploma?

Thank you so much guys I am stressing so badly.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1264352 - 09/08/09 01:11 AM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: Tiana]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I can't be of any help, but I can't help but ask :

Isn't it a little late to be worrying about these questions at this stage of the game?

Does your teacher not have answers to these questions, and, if so, why weren't they answered some time ago?

Good luck.

Regards,

#1264361 - 09/08/09 01:40 AM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: Tiana]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Whew - like Bruce I'm wondering why your teacher hasn't been dealing with this. But anyway, I'm in a position to give you some help smile
First, if you go to the AMEB website, there are some tips on diploma exams.
As for the GK requirements, here's what the syllabus says:
Questions will be asked in the following areas:
- formal structure of piece, including keys and modulations.
- terminology - any markings, terms or titles
- repertoire of the composer
- style/historical context of the works presented e.g. texture, ornamentation, performance practice etc
- instrument - historical development of the instrument as it relates to the works presented.

Ideally it isn't something to cram at the last minute, but wide reading over the time you've been preparing the program. Don't panic if you can't answer a specific question - just try to talk intelligently about what you do know. Try to appear confident and interested - they will try to put you at ease.

If you can borrow the syllabus from your teacher there's a summary of what sorts of things they are looking for in your performance, but here's a brief summary:
- fluent, expressive and coherent performance
- ability to differentiate between musical styles
- sense of professional presentation (in other words, act like you are in control. Be poised).

Don't let wrong notes throw you. No-one is expecting a perfect performance. They're expecting a musical one.

#1264362 - 09/08/09 01:44 AM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: currawong]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Also, you can expect the General Knowledge section to last about 15 minutes. One of the examiners will be conducting the exam and asking the questions, and the other will be writing most of the time.

And, good luck smile

#1264365 - 09/08/09 01:58 AM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: currawong]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

The tips on diploma preparation weren't easy to find, so here's the link:
Diploma preparation.

#1264382 - 09/08/09 03:18 AM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: currawong]
Tiana Offline

Wow, thank you so much, I have been asking everyone and everywhere for information on this. Thanks again! The information was very useful. My teacher has only ever had 2 students sit the exam and one to pass.

As for the general knowledge, I have been learning things for a few months, not heavily though. I just started cramming a couple of weeks ago because I'm the type of person that doesn't do well unless I'm under pressure. My piano teacher has looked for the general knowledge requirements in the syllabus but couldn't find anything, and I don't have one myself.

Do you know if it's true that there is a quota for the day? There is only 2 AMusA exams as I don't live in a very big area, and I'm really worried because I know for a fact that the girl going in before me (who is a couple of years younger) will give a perfect, flawless performance as well as general knowledge. Will this make me look less professional (compared to her)?

And if its not too much to ask... how does this sound for a program?

Bartok - 6 Romanian Folk Dances
Haydn - Sonata in F major Hob.32/XVI
Bach - Suite III Prelude from English Suites
Brahms - Intermezzo in A Op118 no2

Is this a good or bad order and why?

#1264384 - 09/08/09 03:32 AM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: Tiana]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tarna91
Do you know if it's true that there is a quota for the day? There is only 2 AMusA exams as I don't live in a very big area, and I'm really worried because I know for a fact that the girl going in before me (who is a couple of years younger) will give a perfect, flawless performance as well as general knowledge. Will this make me look less professional (compared to her)?
There are always rumours about this quota, but I have a friend who is an examiner and no, there is no quota. They judge each performer against their criteria and do not rank them against each other. I guess it would be unreasonable to expect them not to notice if there was a significant difference between one candidate and the next, but it shouldn't influence the way they evaluate you against the criteria. That's my inside info, anyway smile

I think your program is fine, and the best order to play it in is the one that you feel most comfortable with. If it were me I'd probably go in chronological order, but there's no real reason to. You want to start with a piece you feel very confident with.

#1264386 - 09/08/09 03:49 AM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: currawong]
20thCentury Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I agree totally with the excellent advice currawong has provided. I did my AMusA a couple of years ago (just done my LMusA this year) and, whilst there is a lot of hype surrounding it, they want to see that you can deliver a professional, polished performance. Everyone makes mistakes- even professional pianists sometimes- but if you have something musically interesting to say about the piece through your interpretative and technical skills, then that is what is most important. In terms of the General Knowledge, this equates to knowing much more than what's on the printed page- you should be able to talk intelligently about the composers and give your opinion on a musical matter if asked...treat it not so much as 'question and answer' but as a discussion. For your piano teacher's information, the requirements are found in the front of the Manual of Syllabuses, in the regulations section.

Be aware that this is a performing diploma, so it is quite different from Eighth Grade. As currawong suggested, it is probably better to play your program in chronological order (Bach, Haydn, Brahms, Bartok), but there doesn't seem to be a rule saying that this is a must.

Good luck- and breathe! It'll be all over before you know it. Let us know how you get on!

Andrew

#1270794 - 09/18/09 09:56 PM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: 20thCentury]
Tiana Offline

Ok, just sat the exam..

is it an automatic fail if you restart a piece..

I played my first one (6 Romanian folk dances) well, stuffed up the last line but it was mostly fine.

I then played the first line of my sonata and went blank, so I restarted the piece. Would I be right in saying this is an automatic fail?

My bach went fine, my Brahms went ok, one slip up but it wasnt bad.

I didn't get asked much general knowledge (was this because I had already failed and there seemed no point in asking too much general knowledge?)

#1271248 - 09/19/09 07:15 PM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: Tiana]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

There are no "automatic fails". I don't think we can predict how you went smile. Just from what you say it doesn't sound like a disaster, but of course it all depends on the quality of the playing in between the stumbles. Don't stress now, it's all over. Just play some new music while you wait for the result.

#1271448 - 09/20/09 08:19 AM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: currawong]
musdan Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Tarna - did you get your results? I'm sure you very well.

#1272382 - 09/21/09 10:52 PM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: musdan]
Tiana Offline

I haven't got my results yet. I will probably receive them in about a week, at least thats how long it took for my friend last year.

I'm almost confident I failed. I walked into the exam and didn't have a book with me so I asked to go back out of the theatre and get it - and it wasn't out there either. So I went back in all shaking and stuff and it turns out I had given it to the examiner with the programs. I must have looked like the most unorganised person in the world. The female examiner told me to take time to calm myself so I must have looked bad.

Secondly, I had a few small errors in dance 5 of the Romanian Folk Dances (Bartok), but I didn't stop or anything and it wasn't too bad, then the big climax at the end of the 6th Dance - well I totally blew that. The ending was still powerful I just didn't get the right notes at all.

The BIGGEST and WORST thing was when I stopped at the end of the first line of the Sonata, then started again. The sonata went fine the second time, but I can't believe I re-started it.

I think my Bach went alright, my Brahms was going great until I got a note wrong and went back over it. TWICE.

There wasn't much general knowledge asked, but the examiner wouldn't let me stop and think about the questions before answering them. So I didn't get to answer one question. He also added things to my answers as if to say my answer was wrong. The general knowledge only lasted about 5 minutes if that, which is making me think that the examiner didn't see a point in asking me much because he had already decided that I'd failed =[

I'm going to try again in Brisbane in December though. Just wish I could've focussed more for a measly 45mins of my life!

#1272454 - 09/22/09 03:19 AM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: Tiana]
20thCentury Offline

Tarna,

Thanks for sharing your exam experiences with us. First of all, know that you've done great just to get to this level- a lot of people don't ever reach AMusA. It usually takes a little longer to process Diploma results, also depending on where you live- one would hope you might have them by the end of the week; if not, certainly next week.

It's hard to tell whether you've passed or not, as examiners are unpredictable people and some are more constructive and positive (in terms of marking, comments or the way they write their reports) than others. I'm not as familiar with the examiners in Queensland, being from Victoria myself. However, I do know that the AMEB generally are making it a lot tougher to get the AMusA- they are really cracking down on the level of playing that is required to get the award. Bear in mind, too, that the vast majority of people do not pass their AMusA or LMusA first time around.

I personally don't think that just because you looked very nervous that would be detrimental- it's natural to be nervous and perhaps forget simple things like where you put a book! (I've certainly done it.) What counts is what happened in your performance- whether you let those nerves get to you or whether you were able to continue. In no way do they expect perfection, so a few wrong notes are not so much of an issue as whether you presented a confident, mostly accurate performance without stopping. If the restarting/going over spots did indeed cost you, then it's a matter of gaining more performance experience so you can avoid doing that; nothing to do with not putting in your best or not focussing hard enough- exam pressure can do terrible things to us!

As for General Knowledge, I don't know whether this is one of your strong areas or not but be aware that a lot of examiners add things/interrupt, etc.- some are just like this! And they can also vary in time. So don't make judgements until you get the report- but whatever happens, take it as a learning experience...after all, if you want to go again in December you have time to get more experience for an even better performance!

Let us know when you have your result.

Andrew

Edited by 20thCentury (09/22/09 04:53 AM)

#1272455 - 09/22/09 03:29 AM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: 20thCentury]
Tiana Offline

Thanks so much. I was feeling really down but it helps now to know that a lot of people don't get it on their first go.

I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

#1274428 - 09/24/09 07:15 PM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: Tiana]
Tiana Offline

Results are back....!

I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. So many things went wrong, still can't believe I passed.

The comments were really nice, the only bad one said that parts were "insecure" (this was the part I went blank and started again)but I carried on in a professional manner, the examiner wrote the nicest comments. Even general knowledge said it was 'well researched'. And I got heaps wrong!

Wow, I really want to go for my Lmus after I finish uni now!

or maybe do music at uni instead.

STILL CANNOT BELIEVE I PASSED!

=D

#1274431 - 09/24/09 07:18 PM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: Tiana]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Congratulations, Tiana!! I'm really happy for you.

#1274436 - 09/24/09 07:23 PM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: currawong]
Tiana Offline

Thanks!

#1274496 - 09/24/09 09:05 PM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: Tiana]
20thCentury Offline

Tiana, I'm so happy for you! Obviously your stumbles were not much of an issue- they could see you 'carried on in a professional manner', which is what the performing diplomas are all about.

That is absolutely fantastic and it should give you confidence in your playing and desire to maybe pursue your studies further. The AMEB makes a point of saying that the AMusA is highly respected in the international music community so to have gained it is a really fantastic achievement!

Congratulations!

Andrew smile

#1274499 - 09/24/09 09:09 PM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: 20thCentury]
Philip Lu Offline

Loc: Hacienda Heights, CA
congratulation, but may I ask what the LMusa is?

#1274524 - 09/24/09 09:44 PM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: Philip Lu]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Philip Lu
congratulation, but may I ask what the LMusa is?
LMusA = Licentiate in Music, Australia. It's the second highest performing diploma offered by the AMEB (Australian Music Examinations Board)(the higher one is the Fellowship diploma).

#1275949 - 09/27/09 01:49 AM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: currawong]
Oz Marcus Offline

Congratulations Tiana!
I have considered sitting the AMusA exam myself, but performance anxiety always holds me back.

Marcus
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon

#1275973 - 09/27/09 04:24 AM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: currawong]
Nannerl Mozart Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia, Melbourne
WOW congrats! .. What are you studying in uni may I ask? I'm planning to do grade 7 sometime next yaer, many more years to prepare till the A mus A. Even so, being good enough to play at A mus A standard is another thing. Congrats again, very happy for you, I can relate to that post exam period.

My grade 8 singing exam last year led me to lie around all day waiting for my teacher to call and give me the damn mark!

#1276433 - 09/28/09 03:36 AM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: Nannerl Mozart]
Tiana Offline

Thanks everyone! I'm over the moon =]

Marcus, I was exactly the same up until last year, I had the worst nerves up until last last year. I tried natural sprays and tablets that should've helped, but didn't work.

Go to the doctor and ask them for a prescription for a beta blocker. It lowers your blood pressure for a few hours and they work like magic! I can now perform in front of an audience without lookign like an idiot that can't play.

Rebekah, I'm doing primary school teaching at uni. I'm thinking of adding high school teaching to my degree as well, but I'll see how I go with everything lol.

Have you thought of skipping grade 7 and going straight to grade 8?

#1276435 - 09/28/09 03:45 AM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: Tiana]
Oz Marcus Offline

Hi Tiana,

I used beta blockers for one of my exams and it controlled the shakes, but the nerves were still there.
I am still in two minds about whether or not I want to put myself through the torture - not of the performance itself, but all the preparation. At present, I am playing things at the AMusA level and enjoying playing them, without the worry that I am not playing them well enough. But we will see..... I am getting a new piano in the next 12 months and that might inspire me to prepare for AMusA.

And to anyone reading this thread - DONT ASK YOUR DOCTOR FOR BETA BLOCKERS IF YOU ARE AN ASTHMATIC. It could be dangerous. Very dangerous.

Marcus

#1276900 - 09/28/09 09:08 PM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: Oz Marcus]
etude12 Offline

Loc: Australia
Go into the exam philosophically; I got so worked up for mine, general knowledge was perfect, of course had my programme by memory and I was failed because I played a (that is ONE) wrong note in my Bach (which was printed in the music; not my mistake! It was Schirmer's!). After I tried again a month later, I passed and they said how wonderfully secure I was, with my impressive memory work etc. The AMEB are pathetically inconsistent, so you have no reason to be nervous; most of the examiners only have their Lmus!
Still, it's worth getting Amus so you can go the presenation ceremony and flap around like a bird in the ridiculous gown, whilst the examiners parade around, soaking in their own importance. Very comical pomp; I wondered if I was supposed to kiss their rings or cross myself!

#1276951 - 09/28/09 10:14 PM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: etude12]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: etude12
Go into the exam philosophically; I got so worked up for mine, general knowledge was perfect, of course had my programme by memory and I was failed because I played a (that is ONE) wrong note in my Bach (which was printed in the music; not my mistake! It was Schirmer's!). After I tried again a month later, I passed and they said how wonderfully secure I was, with my impressive memory work etc. The AMEB are pathetically inconsistent, so you have no reason to be nervous; most of the examiners only have their Lmus!
Still, it's worth getting Amus so you can go the presenation ceremony and flap around like a bird in the ridiculous gown, whilst the examiners parade around, soaking in their own importance. Very comical pomp; I wondered if I was supposed to kiss their rings or cross myself!

No-one gets failed for one wrong note. The results depend on your performance on the day, which explains why you could fail, then pass a month later. Also, examiners are not marking machines, and have their own opinions and preferences. They do however mark against a set of criteria.
"Most of the examiners only have their LMus!" This is just not true.
You are entitled to think what you like about the "presenation ceremony"(sic) and the attitudes you believe the examiners show, but that doesn't make it an accurate view.
(Oh, and by the way, I'm not an AMEB examiner smile )

#1276967 - 09/28/09 10:54 PM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: currawong]
etude12 Offline

Loc: Australia
I did actually only make one mistake, and my teacher and I were both outraged that I failed. I played quite well on the day, and would never play in a cold, uninvolved manner which may give an examiner reason to fail me. I was expecting a pass at least!
I was exaggerating about the examiners' ineptness (it is, however, true of some of the examiners), but I'm just trying to calm the guy down!

#1276975 - 09/28/09 11:10 PM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: etude12]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: etude12
I did actually only make one mistake, and my teacher and I were both outraged that I failed. I played quite well on the day, and would never play in a cold, uninvolved manner which may give an examiner reason to fail me. I was expecting a pass at least!
I guess I'd be amazed if the report actually indicated that you failed solely because of that one mistake. However, if a candidate or teacher think that the result doesn't tie in with what's said on the report (eg "very good playing", result - fail smile )that's good grounds for lodging an appeal. Actually, maybe that's what you did, as you seem to have been able to resit the exam a month later.
I know, we all exaggerate a little at times. Gosh, I even do it myself. I just happen to know very many extremely competent examiners. Always the odd exception though.

#1276981 - 09/28/09 11:23 PM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: currawong]
Oz Marcus Offline

One of my friends failed too, despite being very well prepared. He was not sure why he failed as he felt that he had played well on the day. I saw him perform in a Masterclass and he did well there too. He also performed for me in the lead up to the exam and was very musical and competent. So I was not filled with confidence in the process....

Marcus

#1276987 - 09/28/09 11:39 PM Re: Anyone that knows anything about the AMEB AMusA (piano)? [Re: Oz Marcus]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
Congratulations on your passing Tiana!

Daniel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
115 registered (AimeeO, a-z0-9, AmateurBob, AndrewJCW, 29 invisible), 1542 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156143 Topics
2293020 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
07/24/14 11:40 PM
Pianist Noah Landis - Lowell, MA Sept. 6th
by Piano World
07/24/14 06:09 PM
Guidance for Publishing
by Dachshund
07/24/14 06:02 PM
Keith Emerson Playing NY in October!
by Piano World
07/24/14 05:52 PM
Action parts any different from 80s,90s, 2k Charles Walter?
by Gatsbee13
07/24/14 04:36 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission