2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 202 of 452 1 2 200 201 202 203 204 451 452
D
D
Sounds good to me progrmr. It's nice and smooth and the notes are connected in a flowing manner as legato should be and your rhythm is good.

Nice job!

Doug

I have a great memory, it's just short.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P
cool - thx for the feedback!

F
F
hallo guys,

I just started out on book 1 about 1 month ago and I''m only at page 65 of the book. Is this considered as very slow progress or ok progress? I'm kinda stuck at Beautiful Brown Eyes's 3rd bar and my hands just refuse to coordinate well.

Does anyone know after if you completed book 1 and 2, is there an estimate of which grade you will be at? Or only after book 1, 2 and 3 can we progress to grade 1 exam?

D
D
Hello fairylander, welcome to the Book 1 thread.

Were you a complete beginner or do you have previous musical experience? It would make a difference as to how fast you would progress through the first part of the book.

If you are a complete beginner I would say that your progress is a little faster than normal. If you are on page 65 you are almost half way through and although it gets more challenging and slower the further you get, one month to half way is faster than most of us have been progressing unless you have some previous experience. I started the book at the end of December of last year and am just getting to the last piece. That is about the pace of several of us who have reached the end of the book.

Perhaps the problem you are having with Beautiful Brown Eyes is that you have gone a little too fast and have not quite developed the skills fully to play the parts you are struggling with?

Do you have a teacher or are you planning on getting one? I have a teacher and he helps me by not letting me move on to the new stuff until I have a good grasp on what is being taught in the pieces we are working on.

As far as what grade the books relate to, I can't help you but the question has been asked many times before so a little searching might find you an answer.

Doug

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
F
Thanks for your advice:) I did have some music experience in my school band previously so that probably explains why I could be slightly faster especially on the theory side.

Oh I do have a teacher and I think I'm supposed to finish the book 1 in 3 months but you're right, I should double check with him on my progress. He usually wants me to go ahead in the book as far as I can on my own practice while he works on correcting my techniques when i play during lessons. He doesn't need me to play smoothly before moving on though. So perhaps you're right and I should slow down to spend more time on the pieces.

I think part of my own problem also stems from the fact I can't wait to start playing longer pieces:P

D
D
My teacher doesn't get too particular about occasional missed notes or stops and starts but he insists I get the rhythm correct. He also wants to see that I understand the dynamics as they are indicated and am at least trying to do them correctly. Once he is comfortable that I know what I should from the piece we move on. He also wants me to go as far ahead as I feel comfortable doing.

I should be done with book 1 by the end of August and that will have been 8 months for me. I started out moving fairly quickly through it as I had tried different methods before starting Alfred's but when I hit around page 100 things slowed way down. He is also introducing me to variations on ways to play the left hand chords so that has slowed me down a bit lately.

It sounds like you are on the right track.

Doug

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It also took me 8 months to do the first book. I went really fast until about page 89, then it slowed down. Even though I've never played the piano before, I do have previous musical experience and the basic theory is already ingrained in my head.

progrmer, that sounded great. Thanks for posting your recording! Looks like you're moving alone really well.

fairylander, I don't want you to get frustrated, but honestly I can't imagine finishing the first book in 3 months if you haven't played the piano before. Take your time to get the basics under you before you move on. The music only gets harder. As for BB Eyes just go slow and do hands separate at first. Sounds like you're progressing well. What supplemental music are you playing?

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
P
P
Originally Posted by GracieCat

progrmer, that sounded great. Thanks for posting your recording! Looks like you're moving alone really well.

Thanks - I think I need to slow down though. I'm a lefty, so chords with the left hand are going well, but getting my right hand to work with F Maj isn't going very well lol! I figure when I meet with my prospective teacher tomorrow night I'll see what she says. It could just be a matter of repetition during practical playing to get the feel of the chord down right.

I also sometimes can't read the note on the staff - that's just time too, but I'm hesitant to move on until I can look at the staff and say "that's a G" and know right where it is no matter the clef.

Still fun - but I really want do proceed the right way rather than the fast way.

E
E
progrmr - You're in good company with all of the lefties in this thread! You may be at an advantage in that your "smart hand" is dealing with the bass clef where your note-reading skills are not as strong as they are for the treble clef. Your bass clef note recognition skills will be much,much better by the time you're done with book 1. You'll go from uhhhhh...uhhhh...that's a Bb to uhhhh....that's a D, to finally..."F" sooner than you think! In time, you'll start to think that your left hand got smarter, while your right hand didn't "progress", nearly as fast. Strange, but true! Oh, and congrats on that fine-looking piano that you've acquired! I think you have gotten the best deal on a piano of anyone on the forum (excepting nancymae!). I'm so "J"! grin thumb

Welcome again, to all the new people who've joined us since my last post. I've decided against moving to Book 2 for a few more days. I just ordered books 2 & 3 of the All-In-One series, since it seems the majority of folks here have that version. Since the "regular" Adult Books 2 & 3 were so cheap, it's not much of a loss and I'll use the songs and pieces that differ between the two series as additional material. Anything to have a flat-opening book!

I'm still perfecting "The Entertainer" and learning more Christmas music in the interim. I've always tried to never look at the keyboard while playing, but I've noticed that many who play the "full version" on Youtube are looking at their hands. I guess that those big octave jumps in the full version make looking at the keyboard a neccessity! I wonder if Ray Charles ever played that piece, or any Scott Joplin, for that matter!

Last edited by Emissary52; 08/04/10 07:14 PM.

I'm Craig, I'm retired, It's Saturday every day!
Alfred's Masterwork Classics Vol 3 and Vol 4
YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
N
N
Gracie--I missed your beautiful recording of Amazing Grace...found it today--It is AWESOME!! I agree with the others--you sound as if you are a professional!! Question for you--I am going to study your playing more--what do you mean by "broken chords" and how are you translating that to your runs? Sure is a beautiful song! I'm still at snail's pace with mine. My teacher told me to slow down and anticipate each of the chords.

Progrmr- I congratulate you on recording yourself!! Whenever I turn on the recorder, my fingers turn into putty!! You did wonderfully on the piece! Thank you and post often! I bought myself one of those fancy portable recorders--and haven't really used it, except to turn it on and off. I have to get busy with it. Also, I think we have all had a hard time with sight reading. My teacher told me to get some manuscript paper and just put down random notes (especially the ones I have problems with) and then go back and write down the notes. Or do flash cards. I agree with Emissary--the more you do practice the easier it gets. I have my e/c/g down pat on the C clef, but those pesky d/b/f seems to give me trouble. Isn't that weird???????

Emissary--I have my Xmas book coming from Amazon as I write this!! We are going at the same speed. I picked the Xmas book greatly because it had a spiral binding. I would pay more for a book like that...why don't they make them all like that is beyond me!!

Doug--my teacher also does not have me play a piece to perfection. She said that the fingering or wrong notes will go away in time, but the rhythm and timing are more important.

Have fun at the piano today!!

Nancy

Piano Obsession Log:
Began Piano 12/25/09 on Yamaha starter digital keyboard
Playing on circa 1917/18 Chickering Grand Piano since July 2010
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

[Linked Image]

F
F
Originally Posted by GracieCat

fairylander, I don't want you to get frustrated, but honestly I can't imagine finishing the first book in 3 months if you haven't played the piano before. Take your time to get the basics under you before you move on. The music only gets harder. As for BB Eyes just go slow and do hands separate at first. Sounds like you're progressing well. What supplemental music are you playing?

Hi GracieCat, I'm not using any supplemental music at the moment although my teacher recommended me to start with the Hanon Book for fingering practices. I'm going to get the Level 1 Greatest Hits soon:) I finally got through to BB Eyes. I realised once I could imagine how the melody is like, it comes quite easily but the hands are still not quite coordinated:P

How about you guys? Which supplemental music are you playing?

A
A
I'm using this (and am ready to move up):

http://www.amazon.com/Preparatory-Piano-Literature-Developing-Adventures%C2%AE/dp/1616770279/ref=pd_sim_b_11

Some of them aren't to my taste, but I like most of them

Am also eying this series:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0739055585/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0739017047/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

But I'm not sure if the latter two have been simplified. I'd prefer not to play those.

I haven't been able to practice much. If only my toddlers could sleep through the piano or I had a digital. But I guess I'll just do what I can and go slow. I did order a book or nursery rhymes so I can have sing-alongs with my girls. Don't think it will improve my playing but it should be fun!

P
P
I would like to find some Christmas music at the entry level. Anyone know of any good books that could also serve as supplemental learning?

D
D
I have this one. Christmas Piano Book 1 (Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course)

It's pretty basic but has a nice selection and it was cheap!

Like the Greatest Hits books, it has references to the Adult Course pieces and when you should be able to play them.

My son's girlfriend is a great pianist and wants to play duets this Christmas and all of the pieces in this book have duet parts.

Doug

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thanks NancyMae. When I do the broken chords that end up sounding like runs.

I just had my son record a 30 second video of me doing the runs (or whatever you call them). There's a mistake or two, but I don't have time to re-record it. It is what it is. I have to watch my hands do the runs and I lose my place in the music when I look back up. LOL

I'll start and just do a C chord, hopefully it's slow enough for you to see. Then I'll start the song. At times I'll point to a left hand finger(s) so you can see how I repeat those particular notes in succession.

Doing the runs actually adds in a measure every time. Since the time signature is in 3/4 time, you have 3 beats to fill with the runs.

I'll update this post in a little bit when the clip is finished uploading. It says 23 minutes left! Maybe I'll go do a better recording in the meantime.

LINK HERE

Last edited by GracieCat; 08/05/10 01:53 PM.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
As for supplementary stuff...I'm also going through Alfreds Christmas and Greatest Hits. I do a little Hanon...very little anymore...and some other miscellaneous pieces.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
P
P
Originally Posted by Doug F
I have this one. Christmas Piano Book 1 (Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course)

It's pretty basic but has a nice selection and it was cheap!

Like the Greatest Hits books, it has references to the Adult Course pieces and when you should be able to play them.

My son's girlfriend is a great pianist and wants to play duets this Christmas and all of the pieces in this book have duet parts.

thanks! I just ordered it and am looking forward to getting it.

E
E
progrmr - I recently purchased this:

http://www.amazon.com/Top-50-Christ...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1281029384&sr=1-1

It's an "easy" piano book by Alfred. There are a few really simple songs in there and some that would be almost at Book 2 level. As you proceed through Book 1, more songs will be attainable for you! Dan Coates, the author, is a pretty well-known arranger and has provided a good playing range of material that will have me using this book for several years!

I also along with the AIO Book 2 and 3, ordered the Alfred's AIO Christmas Book, but I haven't received them yet. I'll review it when it comes in, although anyone out there that has it - feel free to comment! laugh

http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Basic...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1281030151&sr=1-5

I'm Craig, I'm retired, It's Saturday every day!
Alfred's Masterwork Classics Vol 3 and Vol 4
YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
P
P
^^ cool! Thx - that's on my wishlist now.

Hi All,

I am really struggling with Blow the Man Down. It is blowing me down smile

I have been doing well, but am struggling to separate the activity of my hands. It seems my hands are hard-wired somewhere else in my body, I have a difficult time trying to play the second bar with both hands.

Any ideas?

Howser MD
---------

Started: 17 December 2009
Using : Alfred's All-In-One Level 2
Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces for Piano
Alfred Adult "Greatest Hits"
Masterwork Classics 1-2

[Linked Image]

Page 202 of 452 1 2 200 201 202 203 204 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission