2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 29 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 28 29
OP Offline
Originally Posted by EJR
Hi Hugh,

There is something I'd noticed in the recently covered bars that I'd like to ask about. It's the articulation mark "tenuto" (I think) either above or below the chords.

In bars 15 (top note of the chords both LH & RH), in bar 16 (top RH & Bottom LH), and in bar 17 other than the first RH chord, they are not present.

Does this mean that the note should be accented and if so: how can you vary the relative 'emphasis' of the notes within a chord and can you suggest any ways or methods to practice this skill?

Best wishes,

Hi Elwyn
Great question! I think in this case, the tenutos (you got that right!) are more an indication of the length of the notes, rather than accents. Octaves are notoriously difficult to connect, so this may be Debussy's way of requesting as smooth a texture as possible.

One way to practice may be to try the passages without pedal and exploring how long you can hold each octave while minimizing the "air time" to move between them - i.e., maximize "hold", minimize "air". You'll want to be careful not to produce too much tension in your hands, fingers, and arms - let your hands/fingers rest in each octave pocket by force of weight and gravity as long as possible, and when you move to the next octave, try to do so with as little height to re-strike the hammer as possible. Does that make sense?

There are so many wonderful intermediate and advanced questions being raised, I wonder if anyone in the class would, at some point, be interested in a live "webinar" to explore some creative solutions to fingerings, thirds, octaves, and anything else that the group comes up with that isn't being covered in the core lesson videos. A show of hands, class?
smile

Here's my hand. Have learned so much from you, I'll take all I can get. Would a live "webinar" be something we could replay? I'm sure I couldn't digest everything in one sitting.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Liber_Ouchy
Here's my hand. Have learned so much from you, I'll take all I can get. Would a live "webinar" be something we could replay? I'm sure I couldn't digest everything in one sitting.
I'm looking into various webinar software - most of them seem to feature the ability to record the session, so i think that's a standard option that we could make available to all the participants. BTW, any techies out there who can make a good recommendation for webinar software that can stream video well?

I love watching and hearing you play. Your timing is so perfect. It just relaxed me so much. Can you come play for me and put me to sleep? blush Just kidding. I am planning on jumping on this train tomorrow. And thanks for doing this. It is such a beautiful piece.

“Some people stay far away from the door if there’s a chance of it opening up. They hear a voice in the hall outside and hope that it just passes by.” Billy Joel

1970 Baldwin Hamilton
M
M
another for the webinar! One other thing that would be nice, if you can afford the time (you might still have the footage) is a video of just your "overhead" view of the keyboard, playing the whole piece straight through. Either your simplified fingering, or the one you would normally use would be useful in their own respects. This way, we could learn how you handle the fingering for the entire song right away, and (potentially) raise you questions before the lesson so you can incorporate answers into your lessons. Just a thought!

R
R
Hi guys. I think I've found a legit version of the score in 'proper' pdf rather than just jpgs embedded in pdfs. Hope this helps someone:

http://www.musanim.com/pdf/debussyclairdelune.pdf

It had a copyright but says it you can freely distribute for non commercial purposes :-)

Last edited by RobinL; 09/09/09 05:24 AM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by RobinL
Hi guys. I think I've found a legit version of the score in 'proper' pdf rather than just jpgs embedded in pdfs. Hope this helps someone:

http://www.musanim.com/pdf/debussyclairdelune.pdf

It had a copyright but says it you can freely distribute for non commercial purposes :-)

Wow!! This is terrific! Looks like a version created with a typesetting program like Lilypond or Finale/Sibelius, which in many cases is much cleaner to view on a computer screen than scanned paper versions. Thanks so much for sharing this link, RobinL!

OP Offline
Lesson #25: Measures 17-18, Part 2

Recognizing that the right hand is playing mostly octaves again, we start by mapping the top notes. We also learn about "grace notes", a special kind of fast note that acts as a musical "decoration". We explore two sets of fingers for the right hand, one for smaller hands, the other for larger ones which provides for better finger connections ("legato", in Italian). The key rule for fingering is to always make sure it feels comfortable for your own hand, as everyone's hand is unique in shape and size.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by munkeegutz
another for the webinar! One other thing that would be nice, if you can afford the time (you might still have the footage) is a video of just your "overhead" view of the keyboard, playing the whole piece straight through. Either your simplified fingering, or the one you would normally use would be useful in their own respects. This way, we could learn how you handle the fingering for the entire song right away, and (potentially) raise you questions before the lesson so you can incorporate answers into your lessons. Just a thought!

That's a great idea, Munkeegutz - i'd have to shoot new footage, as my head tends to get in the way of the overhead camera unless i specifically pull back, but i'll try to work on that in the future. Thanks!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by HappyApple
I love watching and hearing you play. Your timing is so perfect. It just relaxed me so much. Can you come play for me and put me to sleep? blush Just kidding. I am planning on jumping on this train tomorrow. And thanks for doing this. It is such a beautiful piece.

LOL - some people say I put them to sleep with the sound of my voice! I guess i'm just a human tranquilizer! :P
Hope you enjoy the lessons, and welcome aboard!

I would love to participate in a webinar.

Thank you

Mike
Estonia 168 in ebony polish, serial no. 1378
Count me in for the webinar too

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by Hugh Sung
That's a great idea, Munkeegutz - i'd have to shoot new footage, as my head tends to get in the way of the overhead camera unless i specifically pull back, but i'll try to work on that in the future. Thanks!

The only thing is, you run the risk of people who aren't prepared trying to learn the whole piece and hurting themselves. I know I'm constantly at risk of injury (and am, in fact, hurt right now) but thats mostly due to my deadly combination of hobbies (piano, rock climbing, weight lifting and computer programming)...

Hugh,

I was waiting for your fingering suggestion for the grace note in the measure 18 and you did it again, thanks so much. I am going to use your first suggestion and play the grace note with 5 and then immediately go on with 4-2-1.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by CoffeeLover
Hugh,

I was waiting for your fingering suggestion for the grace note in the measure 18 and you did it again, thanks so much. I am going to use your first suggestion and play the grace note with 5 and then immediately go on with 4-2-1.

I'm so glad you found that grace note fingering helpful!

OP Offline

The only thing is, you run the risk of people who aren't prepared trying to learn the whole piece and hurting themselves. I know I'm constantly at risk of injury (and am, in fact, hurt right now) but thats mostly due to my deadly combination of hobbies (piano, rock climbing, weight lifting and computer programming)...

Hm...i'd suspect that computer programming is by far the most damaging to your body than anything else you mentioned!

This might be another topic to add to the webinar, thoughts on comfortable playing and injury prevention at the piano. Thanks for raising these points!

M
M
haha you'd be surprised: I use a special egronomic keyboard for programming, its actually rock climbing that's the problem. I got this injury by combining restarting rock climbing for this semester with 16th note scale practice @ 95bpm. what was I thinking?

OP Offline
haha you'd be surprised: I use a special egronomic keyboard for programming, its actually rock climbing that's the problem. I got this injury by combining restarting rock climbing for this semester with 16th note scale practice @ 95bpm. what was I thinking?

Oh my!! Please be careful!! If i may recommend a fantastic book, it would be "Stretching" by Bob Anderson and Jean Anderson. Check it out and let me know if it helps.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

Oh my!! Please be careful!! If i may recommend a fantastic book, it would be "Stretching" by Bob Anderson and Jean Anderson. Check it out and let me know if it helps.

Wow is that book still in print? I think I bought mine 25 years ago!

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I'm looking into various webinar software - most of them seem to feature the ability to record the session, so i think that's a standard option that we could make available to all the participants. BTW, any techies out there who can make a good recommendation for webinar software that can stream video well?

I'm not a techie but I work in an educational technology office. I've asked our resident gurus for input. Will let you know what I hear back.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
Page 9 of 29 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 28 29

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,193
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission