Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (Alexander Borro, AGPianist, 36251, A Cerulean State, 27 invisible), 1338 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 6 of 19 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19 >
Topic Options
#1264141 - 09/07/09 04:32 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Rich Galassini]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
I'm eagerly awaiting lesson 24 Hugh, and thanks again for this excellent series.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1264152 - 09/07/09 04:51 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: cruiser]
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Hey Cruiser, it's Labor Day! You're supposed to take the day off.
Ooops, I see you're in Germany. Oh well, never mind. smile

#1264184 - 09/07/09 05:34 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: jazzyprof]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
'ooops' from here too, jazzyprof - thanks for the reminder and I hope you've all had - are having - a relaxing hol in the USA!

#1264243 - 09/07/09 07:47 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: cruiser]
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Hugh,

Here's a Russian edition of the score with fingering (from piano.ru):

http://www.box.net/shared/yqm7j4n21e

Your fingering is easier, but this edition is nice to have, even with the difficult stretch from Eb to Bb with 5-4 in measure 5.

It's really, really great to hear you stress the joy of learning to play.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1264375 - 09/08/09 02:46 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: dannylux]
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
Mel, these fingerings are very similar to those which I use. My teacher suggested them as they allow for playing legato throughout, and she is totally paranoid about legato playing (which I actually very like about her teaching). They might be more difficult for some though, as they seem awkward at times.

Thanks for the score, I'm sure many will find it useful!

M.

Edited by Mati (09/08/09 02:47 AM)
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

#1264423 - 09/08/09 06:21 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Mati]
Hugh Sung Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Lesson #24: Measures 15-16 & Measure 17, Part 1

Now that we've learned the notes for measures 15-16, we'll explore a couple of pedaling options. Be sure to review lessons 16.1 and 16.2 for the basics on pedaling if you haven't seen them before.
We then start to look at the beginning of measure 17, by noticing a new French term for the "right hand" ("main droite") which helps play an extra note together with the left hand. I also give a quick overview of what we'll cover in the next lessons for measures 17-18.

#1264424 - 09/08/09 06:23 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: dannylux]
Hugh Sung Offline

Originally Posted By: dannylux
Hugh,

Here's a Russian edition of the score with fingering (from piano.ru):

http://www.box.net/shared/yqm7j4n21e

Your fingering is easier, but this edition is nice to have, even with the difficult stretch from Eb to Bb with 5-4 in measure 5.

It's really, really great to hear you stress the joy of learning to play.

Mel

Thank you so much for this score, Mel! The fingering i give in the videos lessons are purposefully simplified - if there's enough interest out there, I could look into presenting a seminar to explore some cool advanced fingering and pedaling techniques smile

#1264434 - 09/08/09 07:01 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
RobinL Offline

Hi Hugh. I just joined your "class". I just wanted to say thanks so much for all the work your putting into this! :-)

Edited by RobinL (09/08/09 07:05 AM)

#1264598 - 09/08/09 12:59 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
Hi Hugh,

There is something I'd noticed in the recently covered bars that I'd like to ask about. It's the articulation mark "tenuto" (I think) either above or below the chords.

In bars 15 (top note of the chords both LH & RH), in bar 16 (top RH & Bottom LH), and in bar 17 other than the first RH chord, they are not present.

Does this mean that the note should be accented and if so: how can you vary the relative 'emphasis' of the notes within a chord and can you suggest any ways or methods to practice this skill?

Best wishes,

Daily ramblings....

#1264801 - 09/08/09 06:44 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: RobinL]
Hugh Sung Offline

Originally Posted By: RobinL
Hi Hugh. I just joined your "class". I just wanted to say thanks so much for all the work your putting into this! :-)

Welcome to the "class", RobinL! Hope you have fun learning alongside the rest of us!

#1264808 - 09/08/09 06:53 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: EJR]
Hugh Sung Offline

Originally Posted By: EJR
Hi Hugh,

There is something I'd noticed in the recently covered bars that I'd like to ask about. It's the articulation mark "tenuto" (I think) either above or below the chords.

In bars 15 (top note of the chords both LH & RH), in bar 16 (top RH & Bottom LH), and in bar 17 other than the first RH chord, they are not present.

Does this mean that the note should be accented and if so: how can you vary the relative 'emphasis' of the notes within a chord and can you suggest any ways or methods to practice this skill?

Best wishes,

Hi Elwyn
Great question! I think in this case, the tenutos (you got that right!) are more an indication of the length of the notes, rather than accents. Octaves are notoriously difficult to connect, so this may be Debussy's way of requesting as smooth a texture as possible.

One way to practice may be to try the passages without pedal and exploring how long you can hold each octave while minimizing the "air time" to move between them - i.e., maximize "hold", minimize "air". You'll want to be careful not to produce too much tension in your hands, fingers, and arms - let your hands/fingers rest in each octave pocket by force of weight and gravity as long as possible, and when you move to the next octave, try to do so with as little height to re-strike the hammer as possible. Does that make sense?

There are so many wonderful intermediate and advanced questions being raised, I wonder if anyone in the class would, at some point, be interested in a live "webinar" to explore some creative solutions to fingerings, thirds, octaves, and anything else that the group comes up with that isn't being covered in the core lesson videos. A show of hands, class?
smile

#1264817 - 09/08/09 07:14 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
Liber_Ouchy Offline

Loc: Texas
Here's my hand. Have learned so much from you, I'll take all I can get. Would a live "webinar" be something we could replay? I'm sure I couldn't digest everything in one sitting.

#1264819 - 09/08/09 07:16 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Liber_Ouchy]
Hugh Sung Offline

Originally Posted By: Liber_Ouchy
Here's my hand. Have learned so much from you, I'll take all I can get. Would a live "webinar" be something we could replay? I'm sure I couldn't digest everything in one sitting.
I'm looking into various webinar software - most of them seem to feature the ability to record the session, so i think that's a standard option that we could make available to all the participants. BTW, any techies out there who can make a good recommendation for webinar software that can stream video well?

#1264912 - 09/08/09 10:12 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
HappyApple Offline

Loc: Tennessee, USA
I love watching and hearing you play. Your timing is so perfect. It just relaxed me so much. Can you come play for me and put me to sleep? blush Just kidding. I am planning on jumping on this train tomorrow. And thanks for doing this. It is such a beautiful piece.

1970 Baldwin Hamilton

#1264921 - 09/08/09 10:27 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: HappyApple]
munkeegutz Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
another for the webinar! One other thing that would be nice, if you can afford the time (you might still have the footage) is a video of just your "overhead" view of the keyboard, playing the whole piece straight through. Either your simplified fingering, or the one you would normally use would be useful in their own respects. This way, we could learn how you handle the fingering for the entire song right away, and (potentially) raise you questions before the lesson so you can incorporate answers into your lessons. Just a thought!

#1265049 - 09/09/09 05:23 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: munkeegutz]
RobinL Offline

Hi guys. I think I've found a legit version of the score in 'proper' pdf rather than just jpgs embedded in pdfs. Hope this helps someone:

http://www.musanim.com/pdf/debussyclairdelune.pdf

It had a copyright but says it you can freely distribute for non commercial purposes :-)

Edited by RobinL (09/09/09 05:24 AM)

#1265106 - 09/09/09 08:47 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: RobinL]
Hugh Sung Offline

Originally Posted By: RobinL
Hi guys. I think I've found a legit version of the score in 'proper' pdf rather than just jpgs embedded in pdfs. Hope this helps someone:

http://www.musanim.com/pdf/debussyclairdelune.pdf

It had a copyright but says it you can freely distribute for non commercial purposes :-)

Wow!! This is terrific! Looks like a version created with a typesetting program like Lilypond or Finale/Sibelius, which in many cases is much cleaner to view on a computer screen than scanned paper versions. Thanks so much for sharing this link, RobinL!

#1265110 - 09/09/09 08:48 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
Hugh Sung Offline

Lesson #25: Measures 17-18, Part 2

Recognizing that the right hand is playing mostly octaves again, we start by mapping the top notes. We also learn about "grace notes", a special kind of fast note that acts as a musical "decoration". We explore two sets of fingers for the right hand, one for smaller hands, the other for larger ones which provides for better finger connections ("legato", in Italian). The key rule for fingering is to always make sure it feels comfortable for your own hand, as everyone's hand is unique in shape and size.

#1265112 - 09/09/09 08:50 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: munkeegutz]
Hugh Sung Offline

Originally Posted By: munkeegutz
another for the webinar! One other thing that would be nice, if you can afford the time (you might still have the footage) is a video of just your "overhead" view of the keyboard, playing the whole piece straight through. Either your simplified fingering, or the one you would normally use would be useful in their own respects. This way, we could learn how you handle the fingering for the entire song right away, and (potentially) raise you questions before the lesson so you can incorporate answers into your lessons. Just a thought!

That's a great idea, Munkeegutz - i'd have to shoot new footage, as my head tends to get in the way of the overhead camera unless i specifically pull back, but i'll try to work on that in the future. Thanks!

#1265114 - 09/09/09 08:52 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: HappyApple]
Hugh Sung Offline

Originally Posted By: HappyApple
I love watching and hearing you play. Your timing is so perfect. It just relaxed me so much. Can you come play for me and put me to sleep? blush Just kidding. I am planning on jumping on this train tomorrow. And thanks for doing this. It is such a beautiful piece.

LOL - some people say I put them to sleep with the sound of my voice! I guess i'm just a human tranquilizer! :P
Hope you enjoy the lessons, and welcome aboard!

#1265223 - 09/09/09 11:27 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
2play4U Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I would love to participate in a webinar.

Thank you

#1265236 - 09/09/09 11:50 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Loc: Florida
Count me in for the webinar too

#1265253 - 09/09/09 12:17 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
munkeegutz Offline

Originally Posted By: Hugh Sung
That's a great idea, Munkeegutz - i'd have to shoot new footage, as my head tends to get in the way of the overhead camera unless i specifically pull back, but i'll try to work on that in the future. Thanks!

The only thing is, you run the risk of people who aren't prepared trying to learn the whole piece and hurting themselves. I know I'm constantly at risk of injury (and am, in fact, hurt right now) but thats mostly due to my deadly combination of hobbies (piano, rock climbing, weight lifting and computer programming)...

#1265259 - 09/09/09 12:27 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: munkeegutz]
CoffeeLover Offline

Loc: LA, CA
Hugh,

I was waiting for your fingering suggestion for the grace note in the measure 18 and you did it again, thanks so much. I am going to use your first suggestion and play the grace note with 5 and then immediately go on with 4-2-1.

#1265333 - 09/09/09 01:59 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: CoffeeLover]
Hugh Sung Offline

Originally Posted By: CoffeeLover
Hugh,

I was waiting for your fingering suggestion for the grace note in the measure 18 and you did it again, thanks so much. I am going to use your first suggestion and play the grace note with 5 and then immediately go on with 4-2-1.

I'm so glad you found that grace note fingering helpful!

#1265334 - 09/09/09 02:00 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: munkeegutz]
Hugh Sung Offline

The only thing is, you run the risk of people who aren't prepared trying to learn the whole piece and hurting themselves. I know I'm constantly at risk of injury (and am, in fact, hurt right now) but thats mostly due to my deadly combination of hobbies (piano, rock climbing, weight lifting and computer programming)...

Hm...i'd suspect that computer programming is by far the most damaging to your body than anything else you mentioned!

This might be another topic to add to the webinar, thoughts on comfortable playing and injury prevention at the piano. Thanks for raising these points!

#1265343 - 09/09/09 02:23 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
munkeegutz Offline

haha you'd be surprised: I use a special egronomic keyboard for programming, its actually rock climbing that's the problem. I got this injury by combining restarting rock climbing for this semester with 16th note scale practice @ 95bpm. what was I thinking?

#1265344 - 09/09/09 02:28 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: munkeegutz]
Hugh Sung Offline

haha you'd be surprised: I use a special egronomic keyboard for programming, its actually rock climbing that's the problem. I got this injury by combining restarting rock climbing for this semester with 16th note scale practice @ 95bpm. what was I thinking?

Oh my!! Please be careful!! If i may recommend a fantastic book, it would be "Stretching" by Bob Anderson and Jean Anderson. Check it out and let me know if it helps.

#1265416 - 09/09/09 04:29 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned

Oh my!! Please be careful!! If i may recommend a fantastic book, it would be "Stretching" by Bob Anderson and Jean Anderson. Check it out and let me know if it helps.

Wow is that book still in print? I think I bought mine 25 years ago!

#1265431 - 09/09/09 05:18 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
I'm looking into various webinar software - most of them seem to feature the ability to record the session, so i think that's a standard option that we could make available to all the participants. BTW, any techies out there who can make a good recommendation for webinar software that can stream video well?

I'm not a techie but I work in an educational technology office. I've asked our resident gurus for input. Will let you know what I hear back.

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

Page 6 of 19 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Grade 10 RCM Study Questions
by Rothwell
27 minutes 10 seconds ago
Adult beginner online help
by 88slowpoke
Today at 09:01 AM
Moritz Moszkowski - Piano Concerto Op. 3
by babama
Today at 08:42 AM
Can Anyone Help with Getting Students via my Web Site?
by Publishing Guy
Today at 02:39 AM
My visit to the Steinway Piano Gallery to assess pianos
by shirlkirsten
Today at 12:16 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,214 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,932 Topics
2,432,163 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission