2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 45 of 452 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 451 452
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Interesting questions AWtPP. I would be interested in knowing what the others' thoughts are in this regard, particularly from the piano instructors. I agreee, while many people may visit this thread, perhaps you may be right in giving it its own thread for wider coverage.

Music speaks where words fails.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mom3gram:
And we haven't even added stagefright into the mix yet. :-)
smile I personally can't imagine performing in any kind of live or on stage performances. I think all of my fingers and mind would freezed up, and my hands would definitely need a pair of electric gloves in order to thaw them out again. laugh

The only performing experience I've had was being in a ballet dance recital way back when and wow, that was plenty scary enough for me. My mind did froze for a second at one point and I didn't even know what the next move was, but then I found it again. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Key Notes:
Interesting questions AWtPP. I would be interested in knowing what the others' thoughts are in this regard, particularly from the piano instructors. I agreee, while many people may visit this thread, perhaps you may be right in giving it its own thread for wider coverage.
Question posted. Let's see what the teachers have to say.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/27/2063.html

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
AWtPP, I don't have an answer for you, but I too am interested in what you find. Especially after reading some recent posts about students with teachers trying to play a piece cold (first time through, without warm up) without error for their teacher.

That said, I often find my first take (of a well practiced piece) is the best. I tend to go down hill after that.

[Linked Image]

Hmm, this is very good to know, that you are able to play Czerny's pieces at this early stages of learning already. Unless you've had other musical instruments background, it makes me wonder if I could also since we are both at the same place in the book. I like the idea of being able to play more classically sounding music but thought that I would have to wait for quite a while, maybe six months to one year(?), to get all of my basics and foundations down first before I can even touch them(?).
Key Notes,
The last two months with Alfred's is my first ever experience playing any musical instrument. The Czerny Op.599 "Practical Exercises for the Beginner" is a progressive set of excerises. They're not mechanical like Hanon, but they're not sonatas, either. Just musical, nice-sounding practice exercises, which, is actually what the simplified song arragnements we play in Alfreds are too.

It is written in two chapters. I think most folks in Book 1 that have reached Alpine Melody could handle almost anything up to Exercise 31.

Just FYI, the titles for the groups of exercises in Chapter 1 are:
- Prelimnary studies for the knowledge of the notes (1-10)
- Exercises for the 5 fingers with hands at rest (11-18)
- The First Excercises for the Thumbs (19-26)
- Excercises Exceeding the Compass of an Octave (27-31)
- Exercises in Sharps and Flats (36-38)
- Exercises in Other Easy Keys (39-43)

Beyond this it gets into velocity exercises and complex melody stuff that I can't see doing for a while. Ex 1-10 are basically scales and simple chords so I tried them just once and now do not play them. Eleven was the first that sounds like any sort of song.

Here is a youtube recording of somebody doing number 13, to give you an idea of what they sound like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUu-TjqxVpE

I decided to do a few as sight reading practice and to take a mental/aural break from my 50th rendition of "When the Saints Go Marching In". smile If you take lessons, I would discuss with your teacher if/which you should do based on their plan for your studies. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

At the end of the day, I have found that at ANY level, one can be swamped with many more exercises, studies and practice pieces than one could handle even with 3 or 4 hours each day to practice. It becomes a challenge to make the best/most efficient use of limited time to perfect or improve your skills.

Which now leads us into the discussion AWTPP brought up... laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ok, brief update on the thread on the piano teacher's forum... DO NOT GO THERE! (Of course, now that I say this, you will. I know I would.)

The message I'm getting is that, as long as I am self-teaching, there is no benefit in any of the phases of learning a piece. Since I plan on signing on with a teacher later this year, I may as well shelve it for now, and not ingrain my bad habits any further.

Casio Ap-200
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
AWTPP, Shelve what? Not continuing and finishing up the rest of Alfred's book 1? Or, not go to back and work through the second half of it as you've previously mentioned? Or, to not continue to take lessons from any of Alfred's books period until you've signed up with a teacher?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The suggestion is that I shelve Alfred's entirely, and not touch the piano again until I get a teacher. When I do, they may or may not want to use Alfred's, it all depends on what they use.

Casio Ap-200
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
I read some of the posts in the teachers thread and doing all of book one in 4 months. Even with a teacher it is not a reasonable time frame. It would be the exception. So with that mind set the whole Alfred program would be completed in about a year? Again way out of line. Listening to many Alfred one players it seems the average time frame is more like 6-8 months with a heavy practice schedule. I took 7 months 3 without a teacher and 4 more with a teacher. I wonder what everyone else's time frame has been for Alfred one.

PS: Alfred two took me 8-9 months and I'm still cleaning us stuff in that book... laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If I were you, I would continue just what you are doing. If you stop playing for a few months and wait for a teacher, you will either totally frustrate yourself with piano withdrawal, or you will backslide and lose a lot of what you have already learned. You might even find yourself losing some of the interest and enthusiasm you have now. And so what if you start book 2 and your new teacher wants you to use something else? You will have a supplemental book to dip into whenever you wish. Bad habits? Yeah, maybe, but measure that against the enjoyment you are getting out of it. Life's too short to wait for later.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by redeagle:
Key Notes,
The Czerny Op.599 "Practical Exercises for the Beginner" is a progressive set of excerises. They're not mechanical like Hanon, but they're not sonatas, either. Just musical, nice-sounding practice exercises, which, is actually what the simplified song arragnements we play in Alfreds are too.

It is written in two chapters. I think most folks in Book 1 that have reached Alpine Melody could handle almost anything up to Exercise 31.

Just FYI, the titles for the groups of exercises in Chapter 1 are:
- Prelimnary studies for the knowledge of the notes (1-10)
- Exercises for the 5 fingers with hands at rest (11-18)
- The First Excercises for the Thumbs (19-26)
- Excercises Exceeding the Compass of an Octave (27-31)
- Exercises in Sharps and Flats (36-38)
- Exercises in Other Easy Keys (39-43)

Beyond this it gets into velocity exercises and complex melody stuff that I can't see doing for a while. Ex 1-10 are basically scales and simple chords so I tried them just once and now do not play them. Eleven was the first that sounds like any sort of song.

Here is a youtube recording of somebody doing number 13, to give you an idea of what they sound like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUu-TjqxVpE

Nice to know. Thank you for the very helpful and detailed outline of these exercises, and the link to an example.

to take a mental/aural break from my 50th rendition of "When the Saints Go Marching In". smile
laugh I can definitely identify with you there.

If you take lessons, I would discuss with your teacher if/which you should do based on their plan for your studies. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.[/QUOTE]

Very good advise and definitely a good idea. I'm currently self-teaching, although I have a lady friend who is a classical piano instructor, and whom has kindly offered to provide me with instructions free of charge, I've decided to not take advantage of our friendship and self-teach. Although, I will still gratefully and gladly seeks out her occasional coaching and guidances should I ever ran into something too difficult for me to do deal with.

At the end of the day, I have found that at ANY level, one can be swamped with many more exercises, studies and practice pieces than one could handle even with 3 or 4 hours each day to practice. It becomes a challenge to make the best/most efficient use of limited time to perfect or improve your skills.[/QUOTE]

For sure. I barely get in 2-3 hours weekday evenings and about 3-4 over the weekends. There are just too many things that I need to do, want to do and enjoy doing. It's definitely a fine line between concentrating on a few versus spreading myself too thin. But I guess it's my way and attempts at enjoying my life and potentials to the fullest. Speaking of which, I better get to practice now. Hopefully I'll be able to get to Alpine Meadow by this weekend as well.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences with me.

Happy playing to you!

Key Notes smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano:
The suggestion is that I shelve Alfred's entirely, and not touch the piano again until I get a teacher. When I do, they may or may not want to use Alfred's, it all depends on what they use.
Although I had only gone over there once initially to read your question and a couple of responses and have not gone back sinced to read the rest but wow, this seemed like a drastic diagnose for them to make, assuming that they have neither seen nor heard you played. Very interesting. Obviously their fear of your potential reinforcement of your own "bad" habits outweighs even your interest of learning how to play the piano.

I don't know what your goals are but unless you are planning on being a professional concert pianist, I don't see what bad habits can possibly be bad enough to completely stop your enjoyment of learning how to play the piano, or any other instruments for that matter. But what do I know, I'm just a mere amateur beginner.

I'm sure that we each have our own set of known and unknown bad habits but wow, to stop completely and not finish something that you've started so long ago and are so close to finishing up seems absolute insane to me. Unless it's detrimental to your physical and mental health and well-being, that's like dropping out of school when you are almost graduating!

The next question I have is, can you start working with any other method books if you put away Alfred's, or does your bad habits, since it's a part you now, will always prevents you from learning and studying on your own even with other method books? Did they recommend any other learning resources or do you absolutely have to always work with a teacher from now on?

I'm sure that I have plenty of bad habits but I just can't see myself stopping completely until I get a teacher, so I agree with everything mom3gram is saying in this case, "Life is too short to wait for later".

But of course, only you will know and can decide what's best for you at any given time.

Best of luck to you!

Key Notes smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Mark...:
I read some of the posts in the teachers thread and doing all of book one in 4 months. Even with a teacher it is not a reasonable time frame. It would be the exception. So with that mind set the whole Alfred program would be completed in about a year? Again way out of line. Listening to many Alfred one players it seems the average time frame is more like 6-8 months with a heavy practice schedule. I took 7 months 3 without a teacher and 4 more with a teacher.

PS: Alfred two took me 8-9 months and I'm still cleaning us stuff in that book... laugh
Interesting informations.

I wonder what everyone else's time frame has been for Alfred one.[/QUOTE]

A perfect idea for another independent thread. I would like to know as well, not to compare since we all learn at different rates along with many other factors included but just to get an idea and time frames.

I started 12 weeks and 1 day ago on March 19, 2008 and am now on page 65 of AAIO, book 1, with medium (2+ hrs./day) to heavy (4+ hrs./day) level of practices. I don't know if this is normal (average) or not but those are my stats.

Key Notes smile

Originally posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano:
I would keep going. Acknowledging the bias you will get from most teachers, I do think it is best have a teacher or mentor in any field, but it is extremely narrow minded to discard completely the value of self-learning.

So what if your technique isn't perfect. How could Seabiscuit win every race with such an ugly gait? How can Jim Furyk win tournaments with such an ugly golf swing? How the heck could Glenn Gould play the piano sitting so low? How did Horowitz manage such control with those flat hands? Pros in every sport constantly undergo training to modify/improve technique. I think you will be working on your piano technique your whole life. But I guaranty you ZERO advancement if you stop.

Sure, perfect technique is great. Having a teacher is preferred, but many great achievements in many fields have been accomplished by the self-taught. It all depends on you and the results you want. Is learning making you happy? Can you keep the beat? read the notes? manage the dynamics you want? Do you stay free of pain in hands/wrists?

Even if you get a teacher in 3/6/9/12 months and have to retrain some physical techniques, you will still have advanced a lot, enjoyed yourself and grown in musicality.

Personally, I feel if I am getting somewhere if my kids can "name that tune" when I play it.

PS: If you have young ones, don't let them know you can play "Wheels on the Bus" or its all you will ever play.

PPS: I suggest watching some videos of professional concert pianists. I went to see an awesome recital yesterday at the Miami International Piano Festival. It is amazing what you can learn just watching their technique. Focus on the fundamentals. Watch the angles and the movement of their elbows, arms and wrists.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
[b] I read some of the posts in the teachers thread and doing all of book one in 4 months. Even with a teacher it is not a reasonable time frame. It would be the exception. So with that mind set the whole Alfred program would be completed in about a year? Again way out of line. Listening to many Alfred one players it seems the average time frame is more like 6-8 months with a heavy practice schedule. I took 7 months 3 without a teacher and 4 more with a teacher.

Interesting informations.

I wonder what everyone else's time frame has been for Alfred one.
A perfect idea for another independent thread. I would like to know as well, not to compare since we all learn at different rates along with many other factors included but just to get an idea and time frames.

I started 12 weeks and 1 day ago on March 19, 2008 and am now on page 65 of AAIO, book 1, with medium (2+ hrs./day) to heavy (4+ hrs./day) level of practices. I don't know if this is normal (average) or not but those are my stats.

Key Notes smile [/b][/QUOTE]

You sound like you are at the pace I was at in book one. Not the AAIO, but the regular Adult. A very nice pace. Some take a year some less. But very few in 4 months I believe...

Hi Everyone,
Great posts here and elsewhere on the forum. I am a newbie (oldie but goodie) and have been playing about two months on my own...I didn't even know about DP's until Christmas...got the bug...anyway...my question and I hope I'm on the right forum here...I will be teaching myself...I can play simple tunes from a fakebook using C, F,G, G7, D7 chords...I usually memorize them and try to play them without looking...Now I need to move on...My question...I do not have a teaching book...but have read about the Adult series of Books by Alfred (all in one) and Bastien and Faber...which one would you recommend? I do not want to learn Classical...just blues, pop, country and gospel. Thanks!

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by jukeboxjim:
Hi Everyone,
Great posts here and elsewhere on the forum. I am a newbie (oldie but goodie) and have been playing about two months on my own...I didn't even know about DP's until Christmas...got the bug...anyway...my question and I hope I'm on the right forum here...I will be teaching myself...I can play simple tunes from a fakebook using C, F,G, G7, D7 chords...I usually memorize them and try to play them without looking...Now I need to move on...My question...I do not have a teaching book...but have read about the Adult series of Books by Alfred (all in one) and Bastien and Faber...which one would you recommend? I do not want to learn Classical...just blues, pop, country and gospel. Thanks!
Welcome Jim...

I would guess most here would recommend Alfred since this is the Alfred book one thread.. laugh

All the methods you mentioned are fine, but most tend to follow a classical route. Alfred does mix things up and has its share of blues, jazz and other pieces. I can't comment on the others. methods. These methods teach you to read music and in the long run will allow you to play what you like.

If your goal is improv then these methods are not for you. There are online resources like Piano Magic that can help you there...

If you are in piano for the long term then even spending a year or two doing a method isn't a bad foundation.

Also you might consider a teacher who specializes in your preferred music.

Hope this helped...

Mark

Thank Mark... I really appreciate your input...let me also ask...there is an Alfred's Teach Yourself to Play Blues...would this be a good choice?...would it have technic and theory as the AAIO book has? Thanks again!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jukeboxjim:
My question...I do not have a teaching book...but have read about the Adult series of Books by Alfred (all in one) and Bastien and Faber...which one would you recommend? I do not want to learn Classical...just blues, pop, country and gospel. Thanks!
Hi jukeboxjim - I'm not familiar with any of the other method series, but from direct experience I can recommend the Alfred Adult All-In-One Books (3 Levels).

I'm nearing the end of Level 2 and have really enjoyed the educational journey provided by this well-organized, mature approach to learning to play the piano.

Perhaps one of the biggest assets or advantages of the Alfred series is that is does present study pieces from across a very wide range of the musical spectrum such as folk songs, blues, light classics, pop, country, gospel, a little jazz, world music, etc. basically everything you said you were interested in playing, and more.

Mark & Key Notes - FYI, it took me the better part of 10 months to work thru Book 1, but I spent alot of time going back & reviewing as I completed each section. But the time it takes to work thru it - assuming that you study every piece in it and don't skip over pieces you don't like or find too hard - will vary a great deal depending on many factors such as motivation, available practice time, method of practicing, how much time you spend reviewing & "polishing", natural talent for the piano, and even whether you have a teacher or are self-teaching (like me).

It would be interesting to discover what the average time is - if such a thing would actually be meaningful at all - especially broken down between students with teachers and those self-teaching. Should we start a thread in the ABF asking for input on this from current and past Book 1 (also Books 2 & 3) students and maybe from teachers in the Teacher's Forum?

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[QUOTE]
You sound like you are at the pace I was at in book one. Not the AAIO, but the regular Adult. A very nice pace. Some take a year some less. But very few in 4 months I believe...
Good to know. Thanks. smile

Page 45 of 452 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission