Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1258484 - 08/29/09 11:42 AM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: xtinaznap]
xtinaznap Offline

Maybe Kawai James meant 15 percent OFF the cost?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1258502 - 08/29/09 12:18 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: xtinaznap]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
What, are you some kind of mind reader or something??? grin

#1258778 - 08/29/09 11:49 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: xtinaznap]
pilgrimjoel Offline

Loc: Michigan
No need to apologize and no worries. This was all helpful. And isn't easier to keep similar questions together for later searches?
Peace

#1258781 - 08/29/09 11:50 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: pilgrimjoel]
pilgrimjoel Offline

Although I almost packed my bags for the move to Europe when I heard Kawais are so cheap there.... Really disappointed this was (allegedly) a mistype.

#1258963 - 08/30/09 12:03 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: pilgrimjoel]
xtinaznap Offline

Thanks! Have you made a decision then? I decided that I just could not afford an ES6 - with the other accessories I need to purchase (gig bag, keyboard amp, etc) I cannot afford it and I really loved the P155 and know I'll be happy with it. I got it from Musician's Friends for $959.00...

#1258997 - 08/30/09 01:27 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: xtinaznap]
Daniel M Offline

Loc: Fife, WA
Originally Posted By: xtinaznap
Thanks! Have you made a decision then? I decided that I just could not afford an ES6 - with the other accessories I need to purchase (gig bag, keyboard amp, etc) I cannot afford it and I really loved the P155 and know I'll be happy with it. I got it from Musician's Friends for $959.00...

How on earth did you do that? It's selling for $1200 on Musician's Friend.

#1259020 - 08/30/09 02:15 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: Daniel M]
limavady Offline

Loc: California
sorry to jump in and answer a question meant for someone else but I had read this on another thread here; there's apparently a music123 coupon for $200 off yamahas (i know music123 and musicians friend are one and the same now but i guess they still have their site up) So you put the P155 in the cart, apply the $200 coupon (code on the other thread here) and then call musicians friend who evidently will match that as well as beat it so i guess that's what gets it down to the $959.

On a side question i was wondering about the yamaha F3 pedal which alot of people say is superior to the F4; well it is twice the price, but when i looked at some reviews a few people said it was squeaky which makes me wonder if the M-Audio SP-2 pedal (amazon 20 bucks) is perhaps a better choice than either of the yamaha pedals..??

#1259392 - 08/31/09 01:18 AM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: limavady]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Quote:
In Europe, for example, the ES6 is available for approximately 15% of the cost of the P155.

Sorry chaps, I should have perhaps said approximately 15% less than the P155, which I believe is 85% of the cost.

I have corrected my post to avoid further confusion.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1259645 - 08/31/09 01:29 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: limavady]
pieper Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: limavady
...so i guess that's what gets it down to the $959.

What the?!
In Europe the P155 is sold for about 1400 Euros. And that´s at the big Yamaha dealers! Against the current exchange rate that would be almost exactly
$2000 (!!!!)

(it´s not as if we earn in Euros what you guys earn in Dollars - at least I think not).
Does Yamaha have any Europe related issues or what?

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

#1259711 - 08/31/09 03:06 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: pieper]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Prices are often much higher in Europe. Paying almost 20% value added tax, plus more expensive retail overhead, etc. leads to higher prices.

Look at the bright side:

The P155 comes with an international power adaptor
You can buy it n the US for the equivalent of 665 euros
Airfare to New York is around 350 euros if you shop around.
That still leaves you with 385 euros for excess baggage charges, lunch and a day of sightseeing in New York to match the Dutch price.
Why buy in the Netherlands when you can get a free trip and weekend in New York included in the one you buy in the States?

#1260027 - 09/01/09 12:07 AM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: theJourney]
8000 Post Club Member

That's an excellent suggestion!

I wonder if anyone has experience of purchasing an instrument in this way?
Would there be any difficulties bringing the bulky item through customs (additional taxes etc.?)

Cheers,
James
x

#1260088 - 09/01/09 02:57 AM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: Kawai James]
Geoffk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
That would make it a "grey market" item (i.e. not imported through the official local Kawai distributor). Will the
local dealers support it and honor the warranty?

#1262505 - 09/04/09 04:49 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: theJourney]
pieper Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: theJourney
...Why buy in the Netherlands when you can get a free trip and weekend in New York included in the one you buy in the States?

Brilliant. I guess that´s why you´re a management consultant..

So relieved I decided to take the clp370, instead of the 155 and discovering this idea when it was too late.

Good point Geoffk also, tho. Better check for any legal issues before going on this journey smile

Edited by pieper (09/04/09 06:33 PM)

#1263210 - 09/05/09 09:42 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: pieper]
xtinaznap Offline

OK...so I ordered the P155 from Musician's Friends (and yes, limavady was correct, that is exactly how I got that price), and it came Thursday. But they accidentally sent me the mahogony-fake-wood one instead of the all-black one that I ordered (P155B actually). I played it that night and began having buyers remorse despite my very good deal. I just was not happy with the onboard speakers. It sounds fine with headphones, and better when hooked up to an amp, but I don't like playing with headphones, and I don't always want to deal with an amp. So, today, I decided to go back to our local Kawai dealer to play the ES6 some more. I played the ES6 for about an hour, then I went back home and immediately played the P155. And the thing is, even though I LIKE the P155 a LOT, I LOVE the ES6. I love the elegant look of it, the touch, but mostly I felt like it just sounded better. Plus, on the P155, I felt there were a couple of excellent piano sounds, but the rest I'd probably never play...but on the ES6, there are at least four sounds I love. But still...the Kawaii was $1495!! I paid $959 for the P155 (no tax), plus I purchased a 3 year warranty from Musician's Friends, so it came to a little less than $1100. I told the Kawai dealer that I was struggling with a decision and, and he offered me the Kawai for $1400 out the door ($1281 plus tax). Kawai comes with a 3-year limited warranty (although that is not equal to the Musician's Friend warranty, which is more like insurance...but it is better than that standard Yamaha 1 year warranty). Anyway, I decided to go for the ES6, and I returned my P155 today (which I was going to do anyway, but now instead of an exchange, it is a return). I do believe that it all comes down to personal taste - I'm sure others out there would play the P155 and ES6 side by side and prefer the P155, or just not want to pay extra for the E6. But for me, the ES6 was the one.

#1263260 - 09/05/09 11:27 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: xtinaznap]
AdamBrown Offline

Loc: Hastings-on-the-Hudson, NY
I own the p-155, awesome digital piano btw, but what is with that metallic reverberation on piano #2? Does anyone know? Sounds strange to me...

#1263306 - 09/06/09 04:17 AM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: AdamBrown]
Eternal Music Student Offline

Loc: Nashville
Sorry if I missed some stuff in the thread. Are there internet sellers that offer the Kawai ES6? I searched a bit & found none in USA.

Also, does this model have wooden or plastic keys?

#1263320 - 09/06/09 06:02 AM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: Eternal Music Student]
Geoffk Offline
500 Post Club Member

The ES6 has plastic keys and action (not the wooden CA action). It is not sold online--only through Kawai dealers.

#1263462 - 09/06/09 12:52 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: limavady]
RDW Offline

Originally Posted By: limavady
On a side question i was wondering about the yamaha F3 pedal which alot of people say is superior to the F4; well it is twice the price, but when i looked at some reviews a few people said it was squeaky which makes me wonder if the M-Audio SP-2 pedal (amazon 20 bucks) is perhaps a better choice than either of the yamaha pedals..??

I have the FC3 and it does indeed now squeak - looks like it's time to take it apart and check the grease (some people have reported success in carefully adding more grease, or moving the existing stuff around). I think the FC4 is just an on/off switch, so none of the 'half damper' effects you get with the FC3. SP-2 looks interesting - apparently does half-damper, though some reviews suggest this only works over a narrow zone. Does anyone have direct experience using this with a recent Yamaha?

#1263552 - 09/06/09 03:42 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: xtinaznap]
emenelton Offline

xtinaznap

I got the ES6 too. When I demo'd the es vs p155 side by side I thought the ES sounded more like a real instrument. More alive.

I really like it. If you play it through your external stereo monitors make sure you change the ES' eq to '3'. I set the weight to heavy '1' also.

#1263659 - 09/06/09 07:48 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: xtinaznap]
pilgrimjoel Offline

That's a great deal on the ES6. The best quote we've gotten here is $1600 (pretax), and it is hard to justify paying $600 more over the P155. Then again, we still need to play the P155 and hope to do so soon. I agree, though, that the ES6 looks better, and we were impressed with its touch and sound. We liked it better than the CA-51, although I think the action is pretty similar, so it could have been the way the dealer had it set up.

#1263668 - 09/06/09 08:19 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: pilgrimjoel]
8000 Post Club Member

pilgrimjoe,

Quote:
I agree, though, that the ES6 looks better, and we were impressed with its touch and sound. We liked it better than the CA-51, although I think the action is pretty similar, so it could have been the way the dealer had it set up.

The ES6 utilises the AHA IV-F plastic key action, while the CA51 utilises the AWA Grand Pro II wooden key action. Aside from the obvious material differences of the keyboard, the mechanism and movement of the action also differs quite considerably - this should be clearly visible from the action samples provided to KAWAI dealers.

One reason why you may have preferred the sound of the ES6 over the CA51 is because it features more modern, higher specification tone generating hardware.

I hope this information helps.

Cheers,
James
x

#1263678 - 09/06/09 08:28 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: Kawai James]
pilgrimjoel Offline

It's funny because we also preferred the action in the Clavinova 340 over the 370, and the 370 is the one with wooden keys. That surprised us -- given our experience with acoustic pianos -- but I agree that the ES6 sounded better than the CA51. We wanted to try one with the wooden soundboard -- to see if that made a difference or was more gimmick -- but they didn't have that model, and honestly, we don't plan to invest that much in a digital.

The salesman didn't really explain the differences very well, and I'm not sure he understood them. He just insisted -- over and over -- that Kawai made much better digital pianos than Yamaha, and that the CA-51 was a much better deal than the 340 that we clearly preferred. Odd, given that he sells both. I'm assuming the Kawais must have a much greater mark-up in his store, or maybe they just have too many in stock.

#1263729 - 09/06/09 10:05 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: pilgrimjoel]
nelce Offline

Originally Posted By: pilgrimjoel
The salesman didn't really explain the differences very well, and I'm not sure he understood them. He just insisted -- over and over -- that Kawai made much better digital pianos than Yamaha, and that the CA-51 was a much better deal than the 340 that we clearly preferred. Odd, given that he sells both. I'm assuming the Kawais must have a much greater mark-up in his store, or maybe they just have too many in stock.

I've learned not to listen to salesmen because they will tell you anything (accurate or not) to sell the pianos. i had a salesman at some dealer nearby harp about how the yamaha clavinovas are the only good digital pianos out there and everything else is inferior, and he doesn't even know how to play!

sorry to go off topic, but does anyone find the clavinovas (i tried the 330 and 340) to be very metallic sounding? it almost ear-piercing to listen to it...i thought that was a bit weird since there are so many positive reviews on them. i wonder if the units they had were problematic.

#1266810 - 09/12/09 01:16 AM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: nelce]
MoonieFF Offline

I've checking the ES6 on the net lately. The specs are more superior than p-155, base on specs

ES6 wins hands down. About the touch and response has anyone here has a clear comparison?

#1267210 - 09/12/09 06:40 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: Kawai James]
JimLinVA Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
James,

You note that one "may have preferred the sound of the ES6 over the CA51 is because it features more modern, higher specification tone generating hardware" Does the same comment apply to the CA-61?

I am looking hard at the ES-6, CA-51 and CA-61. I am sure I would be happy with any of them, but what distiniguishes them from each other (aside from the size of the case)?

Thanks,

Jim

#1267239 - 09/12/09 07:44 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: JimLinVA]
Alden Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
JimLin,

I would suggest that the presence of the AWA PROII action on the CA-61 vs the AHA IV action on the CA-51 is worth the price of admission. The value of the additional voices (58 vs 40) and the impact of the Soundboard Speaker System are up to you.

#1267287 - 09/12/09 09:45 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: nelce]
Geoffk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: nelce
Sorry to go off topic, but does anyone find the clavinovas (i tried the 330 and 340) to be very metallic sounding? it almost ear-piercing to listen to it...i thought that was a bit weird since there are so many positive reviews on them. i wonder if the units they had were problematic.

Yamaha has a very characteristic bright sound. Kawai and Roland are much more mellow sounding out of the box. This makes the Yamahas popular in groups, as they cut through very well. But obviously, it's not some people's preference.

You can adjust the Yamaha (and the Roland or Kawai for that matter) to be more or less bright, but the characteristic sound of the instrument does tend to come through. If you don't like it, than Yamaha clearly isn't for you.

#1267295 - 09/12/09 10:18 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: JimLinVA]
8000 Post Club Member

JimLinVA,

Quote:
I am looking hard at the ES-6, CA-51 and CA-61. I am sure I would be happy with any of them, but what distiniguishes them from each other (aside from the size of the case)?

The CA61 and CA51 are based on the same tone generating hardware (both 96 note polyphony), however the CA61 does offer additional sounds and of course the considerable benefit of the soundboard speaker.

As noted above, the ES6 is a 'slab type' digital piano which can be used as a portable instrument. It utilises a plastic key AHA IV-F keyboard action and 88-key piano sampling technology (which is gradually becoming a standard feature in most if not all new KAWAI digital instruments.

The CA61 and CA51 are 'console type' digital pianos and are therefore meant to be placed permanently in one room (although these instruments can be disassembled and moved relatively easily, if necessary). As with all 'Concert Artist' digital pianos from KAWAI, these instruments utilises a wooden key action, which in the case of the current CAx1 series (CA51, CA61, CA71, CA91, CA111 - the latter being Europe only) is the AWA Grand Pro II keyboard action. All 'Concert Artist' instruments feature KAWAI's Harmonic Imaging sound technology, however the instruments were designed before the 88-key piano sampling technique was developed.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,
James
x

#1267297 - 09/12/09 10:24 PM Re: Yamaha P155 or Kawai ES6? [Re: Alden]
8000 Post Club Member

Alden,

Quote:
I would suggest that the presence of the AWA PROII action on the CA-61 vs the AHA IV action on the CA-51 is worth the price of admission.

I'm afraid I shall have to correct you: the CA61 and CA51 (as with the other instruments in this range, the CA71 and CA91), both use the same AWA Grand PRO II wooden key action.

The AHA IV-F action is found on lower cost models, or instruments that are required to be lighter/offer a smaller footprint, such as the CN series of console digital pianos, and the ES6 portable digital piano.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
87 registered (anotherscott, bennevis, angelsong, 36251, 19 invisible), 1305 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153539 Topics
2250142 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Requests?
by kent2012
9 minutes 19 seconds ago
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission