Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1267506 - 09/13/09 01:40 PM Why do we play piano?
Philip Lu Offline

Loc: Hacienda Heights, CA
I have had piano depression recently, and I'm looking for some reason why we play piano.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1267507 - 09/13/09 01:46 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: Philip Lu]
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
Your instrument's economy has declined?
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#1267509 - 09/13/09 01:49 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: Janus K. Sachs]
Philip Lu Offline

lol, no seriously.

#1267514 - 09/13/09 02:04 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: Philip Lu]
survivordan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
Music is an art. Many play piano for different reasons: As a pastime, as a living, as an opprotunity to learn, as a hobby, as a way or to express themselves.

Edited by survivordan (09/13/09 02:07 PM)

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor

#1267521 - 09/13/09 02:09 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: survivordan]
Philip Lu Offline

personally, what is your reason? why do you enjoy playing piano?

#1267532 - 09/13/09 02:21 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: Philip Lu]
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
<<I have had piano depression recently, and I'm looking for some reason why we play piano.>>

Music is in your soul and the most important thing to you and a piano is like your very own orchestra or...

1. Because my parents wouldn't buy me a white Fender Stratocaster and Marshall stack as we already had a piano taking up space.

2. How many left-handed string instrumentalits can you spot?

3. I had recorder lessons in school, so wind instruments were definately out...

4. I might have liked to play percussion (you could tell that from what happened to my Father's violin that I found).

Daily ramblings....

#1267536 - 09/13/09 02:26 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: Philip Lu]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Philip Lu
I have had piano depression recently, and I'm looking for some reason why we play piano.

The answer is easy Phillip. To "feel" something. For me, it's like a meditation where the music and I become one. When that happens, it doesn't get much better! But it sounds like you're in a slump. Happens to most of us. It will pass. These "valley" and "mountain" periods are experienced by most of us as well. But we don't stay down in the valley forever.
3hearts

Edited by eweiss (09/13/09 02:28 PM)

#1267539 - 09/13/09 02:28 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: Philip Lu]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City

Are you looking for a reason to play piano? Have you played in the past because you liked to or your parents wanted you to play?

What do you mean by piano depression(practicing is frustrating, don't enjoy the kind of music your playing, or?)?

#1267560 - 09/13/09 03:11 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: pianoloverus]
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
It finally hit me -- the all-too-great Warum returns! Here's the original trilogy:

Warum?

Warum part deux

Warum 3.33333333333333333

Remakes and sequels really are the rage nowadays. Anyone care to speculate on whether Warum version 4.25 will be a worthy continuation? After all, there's always the case of the Star Wars prequels. Then again, maybe the franchise needs a reboot, like the last Star Trek movie. Hey, why not?
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#1267566 - 09/13/09 03:24 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: Janus K. Sachs]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
More than anywhere else, I'm my real authentic unaltered self at the keyboard. It's where I feel most solid, most grounded, most alive intellectually, physically, and emotionally. It's where I'm sanest and at my best.

#1267573 - 09/13/09 03:33 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: -Frycek]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: -Frycek
More than anywhere else, I'm my real authentic unaltered self at the keyboard. It's where I feel most solid, most grounded, most alive intellectually, physically, and emotionally. It's where I'm sanest and at my best.

I just love what you said Frycek.

...and for myself, I'll add: because it makes me feel extremely happy and sated.

Deborah

#1267575 - 09/13/09 03:33 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: Philip Lu]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA

Because "piano depression" is more likely to result from not playing than from playing.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1267613 - 09/13/09 04:50 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: Philip Lu]
CMohr Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Oregon
I was just listening to my local classical music radio station - It was a conversation with the symphonic conductor Ivan Fischer (sp)?. He said something to the effect that he has always loved that we say, "playing (piano) " or any instrument because he believes that to "play" music invokes something childlike and full of wonderment. And that to "play" keeps us young and wanting to keep doing those things that make life enjoyable.
I play because it gives me great joy, it's fun and it is something totally different from everything else I do. It IS "playing".

#1267618 - 09/13/09 04:55 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: CMohr]
Philip Lu Offline

oops, warum 4.25 is the real deal.
Sorry, I tried searching up the phrase in the search engine, but it just gave me random stuff.

I don't think I played because my parents forced me to, I grew out of that after 2-3 years. I used to feel a lot when I play but the past few days, what I play just sounds like noise. Anyways, I'll be checking up a few of the old threads.

#1267627 - 09/13/09 05:06 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: Philip Lu]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City

I don't think I played because my parents forced me to, I grew out of that after 2-3 years. I used to feel a lot when I play but the past few days, what I play just sounds like noise. Anyways, I'll be checking up a few of the old threads.

If it's only a few days I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure you realize that everything else in your life can affect how you might feel at the piano.

#1267637 - 09/13/09 05:26 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: pianoloverus]
TromboneAl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern, Northern California
Can't not.

My Book: Becoming a Great Sight-Reader -- or Not!
My Blog: The Year of Piano Sight-Reading

#1267641 - 09/13/09 05:36 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: pianoloverus]
scherzetto Offline

Loc: Canada
See my signature quote below, at the very bottom of this post.... smile

I play music because of what is expressed in that quote. I play piano because I "fell in love" with the sound of this instrument.

In my experience, I've usually had "piano depression" only when I was at a very frustrating point in the piano-learning curve, or when my personal life was not going well and I didn't feel like letting out my innermost feelings at the keyboard. If that's what it is for you, a word from one who's been there: it will pass, and then you won't be able to imagine not playing.

Another quote I love about the power of music:

“Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” --Berthold Auerbach

Some quotes on the piano:

"The piano is able to communicate the subtlest universal truths by means of wood, metal and vibrating air." --Kenneth Miller

"I love the piano and those who love the piano. The piano as a medium for expression is a whole world by itself. No other instrument can fill or replace its own say in the world of emotion, sentiment, poetry, imagery and fancy."

--Leopold Godowsky in a letter to Maurice Aronson (Paris, 10th July 1931)

BUT...

To me, what's more important than quotes and advice, is to watch some of your favorite piano masters at work, and see if that doesn't inspire you. Without fail, every time I watch clips of Horowitz or of some other of my favorite pianists, and hear them make the instrument speak and respond in a variety of ways, I'm always inspired to play piano, and to play it better! That's my secret weapon for whenever I've got the piano blues and just can't work up my enthusiasm.

Here's hoping this gets you out of the black-key zone into the whites, so to speak. smile

#1267645 - 09/13/09 05:44 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: Philip Lu]
Clayton Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA

Well, first of all, I think you need to ask yourself "why do *I* play piano?" In other words, the reasons that I play piano are no good for you. The satisfaction derived from musical performance is ultimately personal and individual.

I started playing the piano when I was 13 in part out of an inherent enjoyment of music and in part out of a competitive drive versus some of the other kids my age who had begun playing piano. I lost motivation for some time after the competitive drive passed in my later teen years. However, I have since rediscovered my desire to play for the music's sake.

It's difficult to describe exactly why I play since I don't perform. I've been recently looking into ways to perform in a casual venue (I work full time, so I can't commit myself to any performance schedule that would require more than part-time practice) to give myself more motivation to play. I play, on the one hand, for purely hedonistic reasons... I enjoy creating the sound of beautiful music. On the other hand, I feel that I can give to others, as well. I'm still trying to find an arrangement that balances my professional commitments with my desire to let others enjoy my playing.

If you're feeling burnt out, why not look into doing something different? Pick up the guitar or violin or drums or play a different genre (jazz, contemporary, etc.) or experiment with prepared piano or alternate/historical tunings, etc. Change something about your playing to get out of the emotional rut ... after you've done something different for awhile, you'll begin yearning to go back to your regular playing again. Just my $0.02.

Clayton -
Johannes Brahms - Intermezzo Op. 118 No. 2

#1267698 - 09/13/09 07:05 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: Clayton]
1RC Offline

Loc: Alberta
For what it's worth:

I love the music but I love playing it myself even more.

As much as I love playing, it's still more exciting and fulfilling to play for others.

That's the gist of it. Sometimes when I'm feeling down about my skills I try to suspend all doubts and just dream about being able to play beautifully. Sometimes I need a break. Sometimes I just need to sit down, chill out and play.

Edited by 1RC (09/13/09 07:06 PM)

#1267742 - 09/13/09 07:49 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: 1RC]
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Above all else, and that includes all the many splendid things that have already been discussed more eloquently than I can, I play for the challenge. Every time I sit down at the piano it's with the usually very explicit aim of getting better, right then, during that very session.

#1267772 - 09/13/09 08:36 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: cardguy]
jnod Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
I agree with Trombone Al - can't not. I stopped for many years while I was in school then, accidently, acquired a piano from a friend of my wife's who was spending a year in Europe. It was a wreck of a piano - needed serious work just to be playable. But playing music again was like having a long lost body part returned to me. Now I'll never do without again.

Having said that, I'm a decided amateur and most of what I play is well beyond my ability to play well. I'm constantly trimming chords and dropping ornamentation so that I can get through some pieces. I just don't frustrated by any of this any more.
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780

#1267780 - 09/13/09 08:53 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: jnod]
Alojolo Offline

Loc: Spain
I personally couldn't imagine my life without music, it would be like living without my heart. Music allows me to dream and discover new worlds to feel, breathe, and love.

Music leads us into the deepest and most beautiful places of our soul, so we can find our own light and truly discover ourselves.

Edited by Immortal Beloved (09/13/09 08:55 PM)

#1267818 - 09/13/09 10:24 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: Janus K. Sachs]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Janus K. Sachs

Remakes and sequels really are the rage nowadays. Anyone care to speculate on whether Warum version 4.25 will be a worthy continuation? After all, there's always the case of the Star Wars prequels. Then again, maybe the franchise needs a reboot, like the last Star Trek movie. Hey, why not?

Well, the participants in the conversation may change. I think piano world has seen a few new people since the earlier threads. It may even be fun to compare them since you so handily linked them.

#1267832 - 09/13/09 10:41 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: Alojolo]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: Immortal Beloved
I personally couldn't imagine my life without music, it would be like living without my heart. Music allows me to dream and discover new worlds to feel, breathe, and love.

Music leads us into the deepest and most beautiful places of our soul, so we can find our own light and truly discover ourselves.

Will you marry me? (Oops, I forgot, I'm already married.)

Deborah

#1267845 - 09/13/09 10:59 PM Re: Why do we play piano? [Re: 1RC]
Philip Lu Offline

Hmm. Burgmuller seems to help. No matter how you play it it sounds beautiful!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (Almaviva, alfredo capurso, 36251, 44 invisible), 1505 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153615 Topics
2251418 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
04/20/14 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
04/20/14 05:43 PM
Home speakers for RD700NX: need help!
by PoleStar
04/20/14 05:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission