Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#12672 - 01/27/09 07:07 PM Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
Ken Knapp Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
As most of you know we had a recent incident with a publicly outed sock puppet.

There were many opinions on how the matter should be handled. Some thought that the humiliation was enough punishment, while others thought banning was appropriate.

Well, in order to seek out what was appropriate action, I went to the rules. It was then I discovered that the rules MAKE NO MENTION of sock puppets, nor did I find it stated abywhere "Do this and you will be banned". Pretty much it's been left up to the discretion of Frank B. and the moderator(s) of the forum to decide what action is proper in most circumstances. This has worked well and will continue to be practiced until such a time as Frank B. and the moderators deem it necessary to revise/rewtrite the rules.

In the matter of socks, though, we are taking a stand. There will be ZERO tolerance for sock puppets. Be a sock and be banned. Period.

If you are a sock or have a sock and have not been discovered, pick ONE user account and and use it exclusively. Do not ever use the other screen name again.

ANYONE CAUGHT USING A SOCK PUPPET WILL BE BANNED ONCE DISCOVERED! NO matter who you are.

Two members have been banned as of today due to the use of sock puppets. They are:
Pianomadam, using the sock of cklavier, and TheFakeLarryFine, using the sock of threebees.

Thank you everyone for your patience.

Ken

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician
http://www.tonewheeltech.com
Vice President - MITA, International
http://www.mitatechs.org
http://www.facebook.com/MITATechs

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#12673 - 01/27/09 07:37 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Thank you, Ken (and Frank) for your follow-through on this issue. I agree with your stance completely and think PW will be better as a result of implementing this policy.

#12674 - 01/27/09 07:50 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
good job - thank you

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#12675 - 01/27/09 07:57 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
An excellent solution, if a bit slow in coming. \:D

flickr

#12676 - 01/27/09 07:58 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
turandot Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Fake's [Threebees] last post is up on the board right now. It ends with a plea to "Promote this junior member to platinum." I'm not sure what you've done is what he had in mind. \:D

#12677 - 01/27/09 07:59 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
Bear 1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hillsboro Beach South Florida
Fantastic! Thanks Ken and Frank... Fair and balanced.

Bear
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)

#12678 - 01/27/09 08:05 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
DanLaura Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pocatello, Idaho
Thank you so much guys We have found this site to be of great help on lots of subjects and are very happy that we can continue to find it so.
http://www.stoneformsart.com/

#12679 - 01/27/09 08:14 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
turandot Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Arrrrgh

Fake has posted since he was banned. I hope the banning isn't a voluntary participation thing. \:D

#12680 - 01/27/09 08:23 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
Ken Knapp Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by turandot:
Arrrrgh

Fake has posted since he was banned. I hope the banning isn't a voluntary participation thing. \:D [/b]
No. \:D It's not voluntary. Perhaps Frank missed one, or didn't push all the buttons yet. If so he will see this topic and act. \:\)

Ken

Piano Organ Depot
Hammond Organ Technician

#12681 - 01/27/09 09:05 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
U S A P T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: An Indiana University
I remember when I changed my nick to part of my REAL name. Suddenly everyone thought I was Norbert. I quickly went back and used this made-up name to save his reputation.
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted

#12682 - 01/27/09 09:10 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Thanks, too! Dang, I hadn't even known about that Fake Larry Fine guy using a puppet...all I'd seen some of his rather boorish posts under that name.

Did he get caught with his pants down like Pianomadam? \:D

#12683 - 01/27/09 09:17 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
Steve Cohen Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Sounds right to me.

Thanks for making a hard call.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#12684 - 01/27/09 09:32 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
Ken Knapp Offline

Horwitzian - no, a member pointed similarities in their posts so I looked further and made the discovery.

Steve - You're right, it was a hard call. In the long run I think it will be best for Piano World.

Ken

Piano Organ Depot
Hammond Organ Technician

#12685 - 01/27/09 10:27 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the info, Ken. \:\)

Cheers!

#12686 - 01/27/09 11:19 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
Pianomadam Offline

Loc: Southern United States
Goodbye all and best of luck ;\)

Family of Steinway-Designed Pianos (Steinway & Sons, Boston, Essex) Dealer

#12687 - 01/28/09 03:54 AM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Knapp:

There were many opinions on how the matter should be handled. Some thought that the humiliation was enough punishment, while others thought banning was appropriate.

Well, in order to seek out what was appropriate action, I went to the rules. It was then I discovered that the rules MAKE NO MENTION of sock puppets, nor did I find it stated abywhere "Do this and you will be banned". [/b]
...so then why isn't everyone given a fair chance as of the decision? If there was no mention of sock puppets in the rules, it would appear that Pianomadam was playing within those rules at that time, as were a number of other individuals that hadn't been caught.

Although I don't have a personal interest in having Pianomadam nor TFLF stay, it seems that banning them for previous behaviour is punishing them for breaking rules that were not (and still are not) in place.

Does this mean then, that it is open season for exposing the rest of the culprits on here?

Is this action sent as a warning to only to future offenders, or can we/should we hunt around and look for socks in the history and then report them to the mods?

Please understand that I am all for enforcing the rules, but I believe the action taken in this case is not an example of that taking place, but rather a response to some very emotional reactions to an event with a self-serving member.

Also, I think it wise to remember that this forum, since it includes dealers and technicians, will always include advice/opinions/FUD tactics from many more undiscovered, and slightly more crafty Pianomadams. This is one of the reasons Piano World will remain a very dangerous place to those seeking honest and impartial guidance or advice. Not that there isn't some excellent advice given on here, but really, how many new piano buyers can separate the real information from the clever obfuscation? And how many new piano buyers will be influenced by how many positive hits brand x has compared to the negative hits brand y has?

Interesting to see how everything plays out from here...

#12688 - 01/28/09 04:22 AM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, England
How interesting.

I am sure that some of the more enterprising among us will now see this as a challenge. Let the sock puppetry entertainment commence.

It is surely not difficult for a determined sock. One id at home, one at work, two different IP addresses. Apparently router IP addresses can also be changed quite easily (necessary if a sockie is rumbled).

I would love to know how many memberships lie dormant, registered eons ago, just waiting for sock activation.

That said, I am glad that a clear policy has been put in place.

Well done Ken and Frank

#12689 - 01/28/09 06:00 AM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
Ken Knapp Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by newguyonforum:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Knapp:

Well, in order to seek out what was appropriate action, I went to the rules. It was then I discovered that the rules MAKE NO MENTION of sock puppets, nor did I find it stated abywhere "Do this and you will be banned". [/b]
...so then why isn't everyone given a fair chance as of the decision? If there was no mention of sock puppets in the rules, it would appear that Pianomadam was playing within those rules at that time, as were a number of other individuals that hadn't been caught.

Although I don't have a personal interest in having Pianomadam nor TFLF stay, it seems that banning them for previous behaviour is punishing them for breaking rules that were not (and still are not) in place.

Does this mean then, that it is open season for exposing the rest of the culprits on here?

Is this action sent as a warning to only to future offenders, or can we/should we hunt around and look for socks in the history and then report them to the mods?

Please understand that I am all for enforcing the rules, but I believe the action taken in this case is not an example of that taking place, but rather a response to some very emotional reactions to an event with a self-serving member.

Also, I think it wise to remember that this forum, since it includes dealers and technicians, will always include advice/opinions/FUD tactics from many more undiscovered, and slightly more crafty Pianomadams. This is one of the reasons Piano World will remain a very dangerous place to those seeking honest and impartial guidance or advice. Not that there isn't some excellent advice given on here, but really, how many new piano buyers can separate the real information from the clever obfuscation? And how many new piano buyers will be influenced by how many positive hits brand x has compared to the negative hits brand y has?

Interesting to see how everything plays out from here... [/b]
No, it's not. As I said in my original post it was always up to the moderator(s) and Frank B. how situations should be handled. There have been people banned as socks in the past. The problem was that everyone was screaming that the rules were broken and there was not an actual rule. I do not for one minute believe that anyone playing sock puppet believed that it was ok to do. Especially with all the talk on here over the years about it. And with all the talk about "why don't they enforce the rules", I never saw anybody say, "wait a munute, there's no rule against it". Nobody checked for themselves - it was all assumed. Now it's not.

This was a tough decision and all you've said was taken into consideration. It's easy when you're dealing with mean people. Neither of these people are mean.

Ken

Piano Organ Depot
Hammond Organ Technician

#12690 - 01/28/09 07:45 AM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
Sir Lurksalot Offline
1000 Post Club Member

While the rules don't specifically prohibit socks, they do prohibit self-promotion. IMO, having just re-read the rules, PM was guilty of violating several of them - sublty and indirectly, yes - but perhaps that's even worse.

Regardless of all that, not banning PM would have made a sad statement about the importance of truth, accuracy, and credibility on this forum.

#12691 - 01/28/09 09:57 AM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
I spoke out about enforcing the rules, but always assumed there was one. As Ken noted this subject has come up many times so there is no doubt in my mind that the guilty parties knew the potential consequences. I am very pleased to know that there is now a clear policy and that those who have been caught have suffered an appropriate consequence. PW will be a better place for this. Thank you.

#12692 - 01/28/09 10:22 AM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
tanjinjack Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Malaysia
Ken,

I see no addition of rules about sock puppeting.
The sticky on Piano Forum for Industry Pros and the rules & guidelines at the What's Hot section has no change as well.

I believe it's wise to add them so that future dealers that join PW can learn that PW don't tolerate sock puppeting.

Thank you.

#12693 - 01/28/09 10:26 AM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
WillisWill Offline

Loc: Charlottesville, VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Pianomadam:
Goodbye all and best of luck ;\) [/b]
I'm sure we'll see you soon

#12694 - 01/28/09 11:24 AM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
windsound Offline

Loc: IL
Thank you, Ken and Frank.

#12695 - 01/28/09 11:37 AM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
It has always amazed me why someone would do such a thing (sock-puppeting) in the first place. In fact, it took me a while to figure out what a sock-puppet was to start with. (PW is indeed an educational institution \:D )

I don’t know… maybe I’m just gullible. Thanks for protecting the gullible, Ken and Frank.

Rick

#12696 - 01/28/09 11:49 AM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
88Key_PianoPlayer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: El Cajon, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Lurksalot:
While the rules don't specifically prohibit socks, they do prohibit self-promotion. IMO, having just re-read the rules, PM was guilty of violating several of them - sublty and indirectly, yes - but perhaps that's even worse.

Regardless of all that, not banning PM would have made a sad statement about the importance of truth, accuracy, and credibility on this forum. [/b]
From http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/9462.html :
 Quote:
Originally posted by Piano World:
Stop the Self-Promotion![/b]
It is NOT ACCEPTABLE[/b] for you to create posts thinly disguised as an innocent discussion when in fact they are nothing more than a promotion for your business.

If you make a genuine effort to be honest and helpful, you just may pick up some business because people trust you. That's fine, I have no problem with that. Anything beyond that, see our Professional Advertising options.

Some Guidelines:[/b]

Not Necessarily Self Promotion...[/b]
If a private individual is enthusiastic about a brand and talks about it a lot, it's not self-promotion. (quick side question about this one... I am self-employed as a piano tuner/technician, and an associate member of PTG. (I used to briefly (for a couple weeks or so) work for a local Baldwin dealer before Ric Overton bought them, and around the same time lost my job tuning for a local Steinway/Yamaha dealer due to "conflict of interest".) I happen to like Baldwin Hamilton studio upright pianos, especially older ones like late 1940s to early 1960s, and often post to that effect. Would I fall into the category of this rule, or since I am a technician, have worked for a Baldwin dealer in the past, and happen to currently own two aforementioned pianos, should I be more careful?)

Now for what we do consider self-promotion:[/b]

*snip*
If you're in the business and hide yourself behind an alias[/b] to talk down/up a brand you're self promoting.
*snip*

This is not all encompassing and there can be exceptions to the cases stated above, but this is a general idea on how we view the subject.
And I'm actually in the same boat Rickster is/was... I'm not sure I even know what a sock puppet is[/b]!
1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.

#12697 - 01/28/09 11:55 AM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
ScottM Offline
500 Post Club Member

What would be fun is to set up a forum division (the only one) where banned sock puppets can post whatever they want. That way, for kicks, the rest of us can visit there and know the environment we're in. I'm not afraid of sock puppets. We just have to give them their own little fishbowl where we can observe them for our entertainment.

#12698 - 01/28/09 02:16 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
honkytonk Offline

So is Norbert banned too?

#12699 - 01/28/09 02:30 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The only sock puppet I like is Lamb Chop(Shari Lewis) \:D \:D

#12700 - 01/28/09 04:18 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
scharlott Offline

Loc: Fort Thomas, Kentucky
Hi guys! I think I can deduce what a sock puppet is, but I have not seen an actual definition in this thread. Is that where one person assumes two or more identities then stages exchanges between them, generally as a form of self-promotion? If that is correct, it strikes me as dishonest on its face - seems like a good idea to ban it.
Brad

#12701 - 01/28/09 04:55 PM Re: Socks and banning. (Beware Sock Puppet Masters)
Kenny Blankenship Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northeast
As one who as pushed the envelope and perhaps been a bit too crass. I will say good call, fair and balanced. Honky, I don't know if Norbert ever hid behind an IP? He may shill and push his stuff right up to the limit of Ken's patience like (some of) the rest of us, but I'm not sure he ever could be considered a sock??? And Steve you were right the other site is not very "interesting."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fingering for "Wind (Naruto)" excerpt
by longyodel127
09/17/14 05:28 PM
A tune I wrote last night
by Arizona Sage
09/17/14 05:20 PM
Refusing "Every Other" week lesson
by ezpiano.org
09/17/14 05:09 PM
Undecided in an upgrade - Kawai MP7 vs CE220
by Giancarlo Robles
09/17/14 04:32 PM
Kawai Console
by landorrano
09/17/14 03:48 PM
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, ajames, 88 Fingers Jeff, acortot, AEMontoya, 3times2, 44 invisible), 1419 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76233 Members
42 Forums
157587 Topics
2314727 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission