Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1269464 - 09/16/09 05:44 PM Should 7 y.o. begin lessons or wait?
MMM Offline

My 10 year old dd began lessons this July & is progressing wonderfully well. She is moving her way through Bastien Level 1 books as well as supplemental songs. She is very diligent about practice.
Now that we have a piano, my now 7 y.o. dd has expressed sincere interest in lessons. She sits down at the piano each day & tries to pick out by ear the songs her sister is playing, hymns from church, etc. She doesn't know anything about proper hand position; she is just plinking away. She has picked out several songs on her own though by ear.

The piano teacher said she sounded ready for lessons, but would start in her the Bastien Primer level books. Frankly, the Bastien Level 1 seem pretty "beginner" to me, so what would she likely be learning in the primer level?

Money for lessons is a big sacrifice, but I will find something to cut (internet access!!) to make it work if it is the best plan. I just want to know if it would help her to wait & start in the higher level like her older sister. FWIW, she is a strong reader & has had some experience with introductory fraction concepts.

Thanks so much,
Meredith

Edited by MMM (09/16/09 05:46 PM)

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1269469 - 09/16/09 06:02 PM Re: Should 7 y.o. begin lessons or wait? [Re: MMM]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
There is quite a learning difference between grade levels; your teacher's advice is solid. The end of the primer level is typically about 1/3 way through level 1. To put it another way, the older student grasps the basics much faster, so can pace more quickly. Good luck.

John

#1269473 - 09/16/09 06:09 PM Re: Should 7 y.o. begin lessons or wait? [Re: MMM]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Meredith,

You have good reasons why the same level would work for you daughter, I think. Perhaps a different method would provide different music selections so that she can have "her own" songs to play.

If your younger daughter approaches things mostly with the "ear" the teacher is going to be able to build upon that.

If you sense that your daughters have different learning styles you should mention what you know know about them.

When I have siblings in study I like to make it a different experience for each of them. One of the things that can happen as they each get a year or so under their belts is duet playing together. In the meantime, I hope the teacher is playing duets with your older daughter from the teacher accompaniments in many of the books on the market. I don't remember if Bastien uses that approach.

I can hear your concern about keeping expenses down and you might ask the teacher if she has any provisions to help reduce the cost to you.

I'm glad to hear your older daughter is off to a good start!

Will your girls go to lessons at the same time?

Betty Patnude

#1269620 - 09/16/09 10:13 PM Re: Should 7 y.o. begin lessons or wait? [Re: Betty Patnude]
MMM Offline

Thank you for helping me understand the difference between the 2 levels. It sounds like the decision is still whether to start lessons now and proceed at a slower, although age-appropriate, pace or wait a year or two & start in the level 1.

As teachers, do you prefer to start with older students or eager young ones?

Meredith

#1269693 - 09/17/09 12:12 AM Re: Should 7 y.o. begin lessons or wait? [Re: MMM]
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think you should start your 7 year old right away. There is no sense in waiting. Trust your teacher's selection of books.

I just had a funny thought...she shouldn't have to rely on her older sister's "hand-me-down" tunes.

#1269694 - 09/17/09 12:13 AM Re: Should 7 y.o. begin lessons or wait? [Re: MMM]
mstrongpianist Offline

I accept the student who is eager to learn, regardless of age.

An eager child who has had to wait for an extended time will be beginning the basics whereas siblings/peers, who've been taking lessons, have advanced. Because the [once]eager student is not as advanced as his/her peers, the student may view piano lessons as "boring" and want to quit.

So, I definitely encourage parents, like yourself, to invest in that younger child with great interest!

~mstrongpianist

#1269776 - 09/17/09 07:49 AM Re: Should 7 y.o. begin lessons or wait? [Re: mstrongpianist]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Kids start at all different ages. If they are ready, an earlier start can be a big advantage in that they're likelier to reach a more advanced stage by the time they're in high school. Readiness means many things. Reading helps, of course, though you can create a good program for pre-readers (some four year olds are already on the bench, for instance). The attention span and level of cooperativeness also are quite relevant.

Seven is a perfectly fine age to start. How rapidly she progresses should be a function of how rapidly she learns and how easily she processes the new information.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1269797 - 09/17/09 09:01 AM Re: Should 7 y.o. begin lessons or wait? [Re: Piano*Dad]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
I agree wtih the above - I would definitely start her now, I would start her in Primer books, and I would chose a different method from her sibling.

I've had one highly motivated 7-year-old who finished the Primer level books (Piano Adventures, though - not Bastien) in under 3 months. (Not typical for the students I encounter.) So even if you're not thrilled with the idea, if it is too easy for her, then she won't be in it long. But if you start her at too high of a level, she will become frustrated and overwhelmed.

Be sure to talk with her in advance that lessons will require commitment, and practice of what she learns at lessons - not just plunking whatever she wants out on the keys. That comes as a shock to some.

#1270605 - 09/18/09 03:24 PM Re: Should 7 y.o. begin lessons or wait? [Re: Lollipop]
A2mom Offline

Loc: Northern California
I'd start the 7 yo now. In the area of foreign language learning, acquisition of a native speaker accent is much more easy for those who hear and speak a language younger than the age of 10. While it is possible over the age of 10, it is simply easier and more effortless when the ear/mind focus of the younger child is still exquisitely attuned to sound/language acquisition/reproduction. To some extent, the success of early music learning programs that start kids at age 3, 4, and 5 may be linked to this focus and facility of the younger mind. The youngest minds are really focused on sound and its reproduction. The older the child, the greater the distractions/diversions (team sports, more homework, more "obligations", etc.). There is certainly a difference in learning modes, physical abilities, and attention spans that may exist for 10 and 7 yo children, but the overall sum of the differences may speak in favor of starting the 7 yo - a very music-receptive and relatively distraction free age.

#1270806 - 09/18/09 10:58 PM Re: Should 7 y.o. begin lessons or wait? [Re: A2mom]
MMM Offline

Thank you for the wisdom of your posts. As she sat tonight trying to pick out another song by ear (Joy to the World), she showed me how she figured out how to play the same notes in different octaves on the keyboard at the same time. I don't play so I hope that came across right. I think she is very motivated to make music for the sheer joy of it. I have seen it with all the kids since we brought the piano into our home. We all gather around it with anticipation each day at the chance to make & hear music. I guess I should find a way to give her the tools to do that.

Meredith

#1270833 - 09/19/09 12:50 AM Re: Should 7 y.o. begin lessons or wait? [Re: A2mom]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Suzukimom
I'd start the 7 yo now. In the area of foreign language learning, acquisition of a native speaker accent is much more easy for those who hear and speak a language younger than the age of 10. While it is possible over the age of 10, it is simply easier and more effortless when the ear/mind focus of the younger child is still exquisitely attuned to sound/language acquisition/reproduction. To some extent, the success of early music learning programs that start kids at age 3, 4, and 5 may be linked to this focus and facility of the younger mind. The youngest minds are really focused on sound and its reproduction. The older the child, the greater the distractions/diversions (team sports, more homework, more "obligations", etc.). There is certainly a difference in learning modes, physical abilities, and attention spans that may exist for 10 and 7 yo children, but the overall sum of the differences may speak in favor of starting the 7 yo - a very music-receptive and relatively distraction free age.

Ditto here. 4 and 5 year olds are my favorite age group to teach.

#1272796 - 09/22/09 03:01 PM Re: Should 7 y.o. begin lessons or wait? [Re: dumdumdiddle]
widmerpool Offline

i have an almost-5y/o boy (with no genetic promise) who just started.

the piano is mixed together with drum playing since he obviously can't sit at a bench for 30min.

the director of the music program said his progress will be drastically less than that of an 8y/o starting but that he would ultimately benefit. he wasn't pushing lessons and wanted to see if my son could focus enough for it to be any benefit.

my only fear is that he not get frustrated with the progress and has some "milestones" to make him happy.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, 41 invisible), 1291 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75968 Members
42 Forums
157099 Topics
2307192 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How much to Move a piano from Tucson, AZ, to New York?
by Paul678
08/27/14 10:43 PM
The Mooozart Effect
by Rich Galassini
08/27/14 06:13 PM
What would you do in this situation?
by CountSmith
08/27/14 05:55 PM
An aural and visual demonstration of the Skeleton.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
08/27/14 05:09 PM
tunelab update
by michaelopolis
08/27/14 04:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission