Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
134 registered (Alan Cyr, anamnesis, acollins, ando, Alan_Dublin, 44 invisible), 1458 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1265662 - 09/10/09 01:03 AM Gift ideas for students
Mrs.A Offline

What do you do for your students at Christmas?

Last year I bought an assortment of Kingsize candy bars and gift wrapped each one.

One year I made baggies of "snowman soup". In a ziplock baggie, I put a package of hot cocoa, small candy cain, and a few chocolate chips. I attached a poem about snowman soup and being a good student all year. I will have to look for that again.

Anyone have any other good ideas?
Mom to four boys.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1265763 - 09/10/09 08:52 AM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: Mrs.A]
lalakeys Offline

Loc: Chicago 'burbs
What I've done the past several years is to go to Hobby Lobby and buy three dozen ornaments (usually similar style--drums, stars, balls--but one dozen red, one dozen green, one dozen gold). Then I printed out "Performer 2008" (or whatever year) in a fancy font on sparkly paper (small enough to print 36 times on the same page). I cut out the "Performer 2008" rectangles, glue each to a folded-over piece of ribbon, and thread the wire ornament hanger through the ribbon. I hang the ornaments on a small tree in the reception hall, and after the recital students are invited to choose an ornament and keep it as their gift from me, and as a souvenir of their performance.

Students' families love this--some have 5 consecutive years of ornaments, and I like to think that when they're grown up & have kids of their own they'll have that reminder of those recitals!

#1265778 - 09/10/09 09:56 AM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: lalakeys]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
What neat ideas! I've never given gifts because I thought it would get way to expensive, but these seem like inexpensive but thoughtful alternatives.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1265785 - 09/10/09 10:07 AM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: Morodiene]
LVP Offline

Loc: Vermont
My boss always made us all homemade hot chocolate mix presented in a ball jar from an Alton Brown recipe (has a little cayenne in it for warmth!) and gave us the recipe too. I started copying that and wow, how well received that is! And not really expensive, maybe $3 per person if you buy with coupons and do a bunch at once.

#1265808 - 09/10/09 10:51 AM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: LVP]
Mrs.A Offline

Can you post that recipe? Thanks
Mom to four boys.

#1265809 - 09/10/09 10:52 AM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: LVP]
Mrs.A Offline

Originally Posted By: lvp
My boss always made us all homemade hot chocolate mix presented in a ball jar from an Alton Brown recipe (has a little cayenne in it for warmth!) and gave us the recipe too. I started copying that and wow, how well received that is! And not really expensive, maybe $3 per person if you buy with coupons and do a bunch at once.

Oops, forgot to quote. Can you post this recipe? Thanks
Mom to four boys.

#1265810 - 09/10/09 10:57 AM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: Mrs.A]
LVP Offline

Sure thing!

Alton's Hot Cocoa with a kick...

You can really bring the spice down if you think it will be too much for kids, but adult usually love it as it is written. Really nice on super cold day!

Oh, note: it really does take a LOT of mix per mug, so take this into consideration when choosing jars!

#1265827 - 09/10/09 11:30 AM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: LVP]
Mrs.A Offline

Originally Posted By: lvp
Sure thing!

Alton's Hot Cocoa with a kick...

You can really bring the spice down if you think it will be too much for kids, but adult usually love it as it is written. Really nice on super cold day!

Oh, note: it really does take a LOT of mix per mug, so take this into consideration when choosing jars!

Thanks. THis is a great gift idea for school teachers and my husbands very large family. It also something I could put together soon and not be so rushed at christmas.
Mom to four boys.

#1265832 - 09/10/09 11:41 AM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: Mrs.A]
LVP Offline

Yeah, and if you want to be cute you can layer it with baby marshmallows! Of course, I would do that closer to the holiday. As is the stuff will keep forever!

Have fun!

#1265891 - 09/10/09 01:27 PM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: LVP]
Knabe26 Offline

Loc: Northern California
I have a tradition (read: boring? non-creative?) of giving the same gifts each year. My adults and teens get a holiday mug filled with a few assorted tea bags and a few chocolates. I typically get the mugs at the dollar store to keep costs low.

The kids get a holiday pencil and candy cane attached with ribbon to a baggie of assorted holiday chocolates.

The mugs are wrapped in holiday tissue or cellophane. These look festive, and all of the gifts are individually gift tagged.

www.cameronparkpiano.com
Full-Time Private Piano Instructor

#1265910 - 09/10/09 01:56 PM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: Knabe26]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
I like to give my students CDs of classical piano music. Most are never going to attend an actual piano concert or hear a top level artist perform solo or with an orchestra, so this is a way for them to hear music they'd never hear otherwise. You can find inexpensive CDs by fine artists in the $5 range or do like I did last year, and order a batch from Amazon.com of the Sony historic masters of the piano.

#1265912 - 09/10/09 01:56 PM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: John v.d.Brook]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

By the way, the expense is covered in their Registration Fee. The gift is finding the right music!

#1265947 - 09/10/09 03:38 PM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Many of these ideas were given out at the end of recitals, but I've also given them out at the last lesson before Christmas break. I've given:

CD's about $8 or under: such as "Nutcracker". One year I bought posters from the local ballet of the same, rolled them and tied them with a ribbon. As the art work changed each year, this was doable as a gift for the new students year after year. I felt as long as there was music from the ballet in the recital, that was a valid gift. Sometimes the criteria was that the person receiving the poster had to have performed a piece from the ballet.

Alfred's "Essential Music Dictionary" a small handbook ($5.95)

Composer Stickers in a sheet - then adhered to poster board and plastic wrapped at the frame shop with a hanger on the back for "art" on the wall.

Books of music from "Border's" or "Barnes & Noble" that were on sale with children's songs or Christmas music. Usually about $5.
I'd buy up a bunch and give the same gift to similarly aged children or by level, sometimes as rewards for accomplishments. These books are in abundance on the "sale" tables well before Christmas.

The other thing we did for many, many years is that I would provide the (shirt size) boxes and everyone brought cookies for refreshments at our Holiday Recital and went home with a box of cookies per student. I also made it a point to give grandparents a box to fill from the refreshment table because of their loving support and attendance. You'd be surprised how many grandparents pay the tuition for music lesson.

Another thing that could be done, I've always wanted to do this is to take pictures of the kids at the piano lesson (posed or candid) and copy them with their own photo with a little note, and hang all students in a display area on the wall or in frames throughout the studio. I do provide copies of candids taken at recitals for them with a note. One can't have enough "scrapbook" materials whether they are the teacher or the piano student, parents, or grandparents.

Like John, I use the "Registration Fee" paid annually as a "kitty" for gift giving in my studio, along with piano tuning, recital facility rentals, expenses of the office and studio.

Betty Patnude

#1265955 - 09/10/09 03:55 PM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: Betty Patnude]
LVP Offline

Or you could combine the ideas here and put their piano photos in an ornament frame! Put it on the tree and they take it when they leave before break...Great ideas!

I can see a little tree covered in these now....at $4 a piece, that's not too bad!
ornaments

#1266734 - 09/11/09 10:42 PM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: LVP]
abcdefg Offline

Loc: midwest
I found Christmas CD's one year for .99 a piece. I bought enough for every student. One mom, also a friend, asked how I could manage to give everyone a CD. I also give all graduating students a CD.

My gift giving has changed over the years from home made ornaments to store bought ornaments to gift certificates at the local theater. One year everyone got gloves. I have several students in the neighborhood who walk to their lessons and their hands would be ice cold in the winter.

#1267983 - 09/14/09 09:43 AM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: abcdefg]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The arrival of the Alfred Christmas catalog Saturday reminded me that I always give students a gift of a Christmas Album; we start working on selections in November, so that by Christmas, they will have several pieces ready for the "big day."

#1268440 - 09/14/09 11:36 PM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: Knabe26]
Roxy Offline

Loc: Whittier, Calif
If you can afford it for one year. Try and buy thier Christmas gifts after Christmas, when everything is 50% off or more, than you can get a better gift for the same price you spent last year. The down side is you have to buy a few more than the students you have in case you pick up extra students the following year and want to make sure you have enough. But it has worked well for me.

#1268620 - 09/15/09 10:21 AM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: Roxy]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Great tip. My problem is where to store all the stuff!

#1271375 - 09/20/09 01:10 AM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: Knabe26]
funny fingers Offline

Loc: USA
I'm getting these "It's Time to Practice" clocks for my students this year. I have one and my students love it- $3.95 each

www.pianoatpepper.com/5987974.item

#1271753 - 09/20/09 07:47 PM Re: Gift ideas for students [Re: funny fingers]
abcdefg Offline

Loc: midwest
funnyfingers, I love the clock. When you have a family with more than one student do you get each student a clock or one per family?

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Setting up the room
by cullam
11/24/14 10:18 AM
Saint-Saens 2nd concerto - best edition (fingering)?
by Barly
11/24/14 07:09 AM
Music reading apps for iPad that use mic
by Artur Gajewski
11/24/14 03:02 AM
About Roland's PHA4 STANDARD and F-130R
by Yussnan84
11/24/14 12:55 AM
Call me irresponsible....
by harpon
11/23/14 11:17 PM
Forum Stats
77024 Members
42 Forums
159311 Topics
2340229 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission