Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 52 53 >
Topic Options
#1272043 - 09/21/09 11:23 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Greg, your post is priceless. "eastern variable time signature approximating 13/8" ROFLMAO! laugh laugh

Piano & Music Accessories
#1272229 - 09/21/09 05:15 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
gdguarino Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Piano Girl RMG
OH yes, Greg, please keep us posted!
Old joke: How do you tell when a girl singer is at your front door? She doesn't know how to come in.

Not just "girl" singers. Our bass player is fond of saying that one of our singers "only comes in on prime numbers" (excluding 1, of course). He can be seen signaling each bar of an eight bar break with his hands in one song, not realizing that any musician who needs to count to eight might as well hang it up.

In the first real band I was in all the singers were also musicians. This gave me a unrealistically rosy view of the rhythm and harmony skills of singers.

Quote:
Brief excerpt from my book Piano Girl (advice given to me by my dad, when I was 18 and playing my very first gig):

Bob’s Excellent Rules for Success on a GIG:
3. Always carry a roll of duct tape and an extension cord with you because with those two items you can solve virtually any problem.

Sure. You can use the extension cord to lash your keyboard stand to a support pole on a rocking ferry, for instance. You can use the duct tape and a cocktail napkin as an ersatz bandage when you cut yourself carrying your gear through a dark hallway. I've done both.

But I find that you need a great deal more as well. I invited someone to feel the heft of my accessories bag after I was already set up. With all the spare cables, tape, sunscreen, bug repellent, band-aids, outlet tester, multi-tip screwdriver, pliers, ac adapters, extra pedal and other stuff, it must still weigh 15 pounds.

#1272479 - 09/22/09 04:33 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: gdguarino]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I thought this wedding video was rather charming, and not too far off the mark for this topic:
Wedding March video.

#1272522 - 09/22/09 07:55 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: BDB]
Sir Lurksalot Offline
1000 Post Club Member

And the follow-up video 6 months later:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbr2ao86ww0

#1272592 - 09/22/09 10:17 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: BDB]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I think "unforgettable" pretty well says it. It looked wonderfully fun, and, actually, quite loving. There are a lot of bridezillas out there who have made a lot less out of a lot more.

Thanks for posting this one. I think it's edged out the dog playing the piano and singing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXcKrq2hEnE

and the Toddlers and Tiaras thread
conservatory politics
on Piano Teachers forum.

One is funny, one is appalling, but Lets Talk Weddings carries off the honors once again.

Edited by Jeff Clef (09/22/09 10:30 AM)

#1274786 - 09/25/09 10:09 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Jeff Clef]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Great, great, great! Love all of these videos! Too bad the dancing bride didn't have live music. That would have made it better, but you can't have everything. Getting the wedding party to dance is one thing, getting them to play is another.

Jeff, there's a dog who comes to Lerbach (the castle where I play) who sings just like the video dog, but only when I play music from Phantom of the Opera. I have chosen to think that the dog is not really singing, but is in fact protesting, that there's something about the music from that show that truly offends him. Hard to tell.

I'm sending a sub to tomorrow's castle wedding, because I've been asked to do a reading at an art opening. The cocktail party will be swanky and oh so stimulating, but, alas, no piano, so once I'm finished with the reading I'll have to hobnob and chitchat and eat stuffed mushrooms like a normal person. Blah. And I'll have nothing to report on our wedding forum. See, that's the thing about these brides, I actually start missing them when they're not around.

Greg, looking forward to hearing how the rest of the week went for you. I hope the duct tape and extension cord technique carried you through the gig marathon.
RHYTHM: A Novel
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1274885 - 09/25/09 12:51 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

It's gaffer's tape, Robin. I, too, was colorblind in that range, but Greg has opened my eyes. I use the little mnemonic, "If your mike cords stick, get gaffer's tape quick."

No cocktails-at-the-castle for me this week, and no brides. I'm trying to exercise a bit of restraint at Barnes & Noble, with less success than I'd like. Books (mostly about music and musicians) and CDs, trying to sprint ahead with my music education, but unlikely to show, let alone place. Still, it costs less and is less annoying than going back to university... or even taking piano lessons; that's a big-ticket item these days, and chancy, considering the very uneven quality on offer.

I have discovered some things that are priceless: Lizst, Ravel, Claudio Arrau, Rubenstein, Alkan, Buxtehude, and some other things that I like less but which may grow on me as I get more used to them. It's like trying to drink down a vast ocean--- you just can't. However, I have a budget--- and only so much capacity to soak the information up.

But otherwise, I might be bored--- and I have non-barking dogs that don't play the piano.

So... you're reading from your new book, Rhythm, at this party?

Edited by Jeff Clef (09/25/09 01:07 PM)

#1274999 - 09/25/09 04:00 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Jeff Clef]
gdguarino Offline

As I mentioned upthread, it's a busy week for our band. Last night we played at a testimonial dinner/fundraiser for a local charity.

The place was of recent vintage and tastefully decorated. There was ample and convenient parking and the way in didn't involve kitchens, sub-basements, rope ladders or moats. There was a sensible place for a band to play with electricity close by. The food was decent.

The guests were nicely attired and well behaved. They were young enough to be ambulatory without being young enough to be conspicuously foolish. Their cause and the effort they put into it seemed admirable. They kept their presentations brief and to the point.

What a disappointment

Work with me people! Throw me a bone. A few women in experimental attire maybe. A self-appointed Expert On All Things. A kitchen floor greasy enough to do a Triple Toe Loop on. Requests for our (male) singers to do "Bobby's Girl" or "It's Raining Men". A few drunks, for pity's sake.

There was one woman whose dancing was worthy of note. She was in her late fifties, compactly built and energetic. After one number I leaned over to the sax player and said, "Suddenly I have an urge to go to Six Flags". For those who don't watch TV in the US, her dancing was very reminiscent of this commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXonaoq0Xk&feature=related

The marathon continues; 4 jobs between Friday and Sunday. I guess I should hope for them to go smoothly, but I need at least a little bit of material, don't I?

Wish me luck.

#1275002 - 09/25/09 04:07 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: gdguarino]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By: gdguarino
. . .the way in didn't involve kitchens. . .

You're kidding, of course -

but it's a great story otherwise! laugh

Cathy

#1275556 - 09/26/09 11:39 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: jotur]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

You've got the writer's curse, Greg! Although it's a blessing as well; at least when something completely outrageous happens, you know you'll be able to write about it, thereby turning a bad situation into a good situation. Or something like that.

Jeff, I'm not reading form Rhythm this evening. I was hired to write a piece (of prose) about a musician who is also a wonderful painter. My piece is in English, so I can count on about 50% of the audience zoning out on me, but hey, I'm a cocktail pianist in my other life, so I'm used to that.
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1275605 - 09/26/09 12:57 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Experienced speakers say that keeping the audience awake is 90% of the game, even if you have to throw a firecracker under their chair every once in a while. Laughing is good: it makes them breathe and that sends oxygen to the brain. And the rest of them will wake up and wonder what they missed.

I once had a teacher who was both humorless and quite neurotic... with a deathly horror of saying the words, "I don't know." It's all about "face" with some people. For awhile, she used to make up answers to questions, if she didn't know the real answer... well, some of the students were pretty smart, and she got caught a few times. Not good for face, and she did back off from that practice. You guessed it--- it cost me a letter grade, but I was fairly grade-insensitive back then, and hard-hearted, too... much worse than I am now. Same school where I remarked that the Board of Regents had some nerve, scheduling a class during the middle of the cocktail hour. The instructor jumped a foot, and there went another letter grade, but I was innocent that time. I didn't know there had been a complaint that a student detected liquor on his breath during classtime.

The class was interrupting MY cocktail hour, but I don't think we ever got that one straightened out.

Of course, this will never happen to you, Robin, but one afternoon during a very dry lecture, one of the first teacher's students fell asleep... and snored out loud (and I mean "loud") for the entire remainder of the class. She kept on talking, pretending not to notice, and he kept snoring, really not noticing. It was both deeply comical and hideously tragic, all at the same time. And cinematic, too. Some imp of a screenwriter could make hay with it; they don't call us "ink-stained wretches" for nothing.

Well. Good luck with YOUR talk.

#1276344 - 09/27/09 11:01 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Jeff Clef]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
I majored in music in college, and you were required to take Music History. That teacher won the award for weirdness. One day, he was telling us about the troublesome romantic affairs of composers, such as Chopin and Liszt. He said that all these problems contributed to the greatness of their music, though, so our homework assignment was to "go out and have affairs". grin

BTW, does anyone else have about a minute delay in printing after you type something here now in PW?

#1276864 - 09/28/09 08:24 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Elssa]
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Geez I love this thread.

I heard Bert Crenca, the founder of Providence's unjuried art space, AS220, speak last week. He said many things, but I thought this was particularly appropriate to the observations about amateur singers and speakers:

"5 minutes of anything is interesting, but after 7 minutes, things can get a little shaky"

Edited by rustyfingers (09/28/09 08:24 PM)

#1276964 - 09/28/09 10:48 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
gdguarino Offline

Greg, looking forward to hearing how the rest of the week went for you. I hope the duct tape and extension cord technique carried you through the gig marathon.

I just posted a rather lengthy (even for me) chronicle of the last four days' gigs, but in the "Want to know what it's like to be a pro?" thread. Although this thread has strayed from its wedding roots, I decided that this particular post was more appropriate elsewhere.

#1277280 - 09/29/09 12:37 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: gdguarino]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, Greg, I checked it out! What a week.

Rusty, LOVE the seven minute quote!

Elssa, I think I know that professor.

Jeff, my speech went well. It was short enough that everyone stayed awake, unlike the wedding speeches by the likes of Uncle Gustav, the ones that put everyone into a coma after 45 minutes of droning. My topic was the connection between the compositions and paintings created by a wonderfully talented woman named Amy Antin. OT, I know, but since we don't have many weddings to discuss this week, I thought I'd throw this in the mix. Sometimes it's okay to be serious, right? Here's the first bit of it:

Life has little to do with music and art. But art and music have everything to do with life.

The dimples in a child's closed fist inspire a lullaby; the devil's swish of falling leaves on a gusty November morning prompts a wistful melody in a minor key; trumpets herald an athlete's record-setting victory; the ancient truths of romantic love cue the violins. A fear of death brings on diminished chords played by an organ; the reality of death calls for an angel's harp. We save the bass for walking, and the flutes for new life, new hope, and whimsical stories about eager children with brightly colored buckets of mud and sand. When we laugh, we hear a penny whistle, the trill of a clarinet, a trombone sliding into a note that's not quite what we hoped for. Sorrow is outlined by a bow sweeping across a cello's strings, or maybe an oboe's double-reeded whine, or maybe the muted sound of a bugle played by a soldier with a raised head and a heavy heart.

But what plays in your head when you're just trying to get through the day? When you're fighting the beast? When you're too tired to change out of your Ultimate Pajamas™, when the world seems full of puffy-lipped corporate managers who insist on being too thin and too efficient, when the lady with the clipboard attached to her hip—the one with the exploding breasts and the startled eyes—reminds you that you're running late? What do you listen to when the man has gotten away, the event horizon looks smudged at best, the afterglow has faded, and all you really want to do is drink three liters of wine, eat a block of cheese, and pull the covers over your head?

You listen to music that reminds you that, really, everything will be okay.

Okay.

Okay. So what if this same music, the music that brings contentment and sanity into your life, morphed into color and light and shadow? What if the waves of sound flattened onto canvas or a slab of wood? What if, instead of hearing your life played back to you note by note, you watched it spill, tone by tone, into a painting that uses the softest shades of sky and water and earth to define the blurred arc of your existence? What if?

Well then, you might recognize yourself.
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1277439 - 09/29/09 04:14 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Monica K. Offline

That's beautiful, Robin. I loved your imagery: "...the event horizon looks smudged at best..." thumb

Wish I could've been there to hear the rest of the talk. smile

#1278020 - 09/30/09 02:16 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Monica K.]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, Monica! I love the idea of the "event horizon"—a friend in a writing group recently used it in her first fantasy novel, but it reminded me so much of the music biz that I stole it for my own purposes.

I had to send a sub to the castle wedding so I could do the art gallery gig. Evidently I didn't miss much. The guy who subs for me claims he wears a blond wig and no one knows the difference.
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1278110 - 09/30/09 05:06 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
That was lovely, Robin, very insightful and poetic! heart Thanks for posting it! thumb

#1278350 - 10/01/09 01:46 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
The guy who subs for me claims he wears a blond wig and no one knows the difference.

Snort! Good thing I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that! I'm trying to imagine what he would look like in a cocktail dress and heels too!

Edited by rustyfingers (10/01/09 01:47 AM)

#1278401 - 10/01/09 06:32 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: rustyfingers]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Probably pretty cute! I'll talk to his wife and see if she can loan him an outfit or too. Something subtle, with just a touch of glitter.
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1278488 - 10/01/09 09:30 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
You have reminded me of one of the more unusual and enjoyable wedding jobs I've played, though it may not mean much to non-brass players.

I was playing with a 12 piece German style big band. Mostly brass (separate trumpet and fluegelhorn sections, one trombone, tuba, euph and sometimes tenor horn, couple of woodwinds). No saxes! Nein, verboten! No keyboard either, I was on trombone.

In most venues we played unamplified. On the rare larger hall jobs where we used the house sound system I have no idea how bad it sounded. It was rarely necessary because we are brass and we play LOUD. We played the usual mix of European dance music, light classic transcriptions, show tunes, etc.

But we were hired to play a wedding dinner job, and because it was a relative of a bandmember we agreed to do it for free food and no pay.

We showed up to find a bright echoey banquet room. The wedding party met us and gave instructions: we were to play background music the entire time, but there would be speeches and conversations, and people socializing who hadn't seen each other for years. So we were to play constantly, but at all times so quietly they could talk without interference. In a fairly noisy acoustic setup. So we played the entire job pianissimo. That's a whole new challenge for balance and blend, especially balance. Of course good acoustic musicians are always listening for dynamic balance (once amplified it doesn't matter, even if you do it right the sound guy will screw it up). But to some extent when playing loud the horn does it for you. After ff the sound may change character but it doesn't get much louder. Playing pp you have to listen.

Sorry to ramble, this is probably interesting only to a brass player. But it was a fun job. And the food was good. I always have to wonder if you come out ahead giving free food to a musician - probably more cost effective just to hire us.

#1278493 - 10/01/09 09:39 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: TimR]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
how nice to catch up on my favorite PW thread.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1278572 - 10/01/09 10:58 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: apple*]
gdguarino Offline

Robin,

Re: A blond wig for your sub and fringed outfits:

The band I'm in was formed in 1986, I believe. Except for one, all the members have changed (some pieces several times) over the years. There used to be a guy in the band who did "Proud Mary" as Tina Turner, complete with an angular fringed minidress and a wig. I saw him do the act once, before I was in the band. People asked for it for many years after he was gone. "Tina doesn't work here anymore," was the standard answer.

Tim R,

Re: Free food for the band.

We generally get fed on jobs where there is food. When it's not a full-blown catered affair, that usually means a buffet. We're pretty polite; we wait a decent interval before getting on line. But there are always a few stragglers; guests that got wrapped up in a conversation or were outside having a smoke when the buffet opened. We sometimes hint that they have made a mistake; you never want to be behind the band at a buffet.

We're professionals. We can hold two plates and a wad of napkins in one hand. We'll put the silverware in a tux jacket pocket, sometimes accompanied by a roll or two. We will probably have scoped out the spread ahead of time and worked out a strategy like a football play, complete with Xs and Os; you don't want to be an O. We can squeeze servings of chicken francese, sausage and peppers, pepper steak, baked ziti, eggplant rollatini, sliced turkey, cubed potatoes, string beans and chicken cordon bleu on a nine-inch plate and still balance a slab of roast beef on top. The buffet table looks like a clear-cut forest when we're done.

Re: Th airplane hangar:

It was a surprise party, believe it or not, for one of the executives of a company that outfits private planes. He was flown in on the pretense of looking over some plane. It was a cool gig to do, once, if only to be able to tell the story afterward, but maddening to actually play. The reverberation was truly mind-boggling. This was a few years ago but I'd bet some of the chords haven't entirely died out yet. It was nearly impossible to hear any of what the other guys played in any detail, especially on the faster material. A string quartet playing selections from the funerary repertoire might have worked out better.

#1278591 - 10/01/09 11:17 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

"Event horizon"--- it is tantalizing to think on, but like the famous Purple Cow of poem (if you call that poetry), I'd rather see than be one. "Black Hole" sounds so pejorative, but "Singularity" sounds special and maybe even fun, like some kind of really wild carnival ride with terrific special effects... until we consider that we meet, in order, event horizon, gravity well, spaghettification that pulls us atom by atom infinitely long (take that, bridesmaids' dresses and wedding manager---and your clipboard, too), and singularity, and then non-existence (as far as the local universe is concerned), with only a whisper of gravitation left to tell the tale. Some claim they can reconstruct the story with that alone, but I'm not so sure; it sounds like a bluff on the part of some thesis-writer who hopes the degree-granting board's eyes will glaze over and that they will wearily stamp the PhD application "Approved", although it is actually "unproved," and probably well beyond any hope of dispositive proof.

I am sure I'm talking about what I don't know, so don't pay any attention. This is what happens when I make the coffee too weak on a cold morning. The synapses fire, but the engine never turns over; eventually we call the tow truck.

#1279220 - 10/02/09 09:37 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Jeff Clef]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

TimR—I love your post. When it comes to playing a wedding, it doesn't matter what instrument's your specialty—we're all in the same soup.

And speaking of soup, I have a real issue with the food thing, because I play at a place with a Michelin 3-star restaurant and a chef who has been voted (several times) the best chef in Europe. So, you know, they're not serving buffalo wings or chicken fingers at the castle weddings. The castle director is extremely generous with food and drink for musicians, plus the guests usually insist on feeding me. If I actually ate what was offered, I'd look like the tattooed bride in my story. On the other hand, how can one say no to this kind of cuisine? It was fun fun fun for about a month, then I noticed I was having trouble zippering up the old ball gown.

Not good. So now I decline politely.

Most nights I end up eating a cheese sandwich when I get home. The wine is another story. I can't drink more than a glass of wine at night—PUI (playing under the influence) is something I try to avoid. But customers are insulted if I turn down the mega-bucks wine they send to the piano, so I accept it, then pass it off to one of my co-workers on my break. Yes, I have been known to pour perfectly good glasses of Chateau Bombastic down the ladies' room sink, or worse, into the planter.

I know I'm incredibly lucky to be in this situation. I know things are MUCH different if you're playing in a band, or if you're playing a solo piano gig at the Redwood Motor Inn on Banksville Road in Pittsburgh (where I had one of my first gigs). There, you're lucky if you get a Frito and a half glass of Dr. Pepper in a lipstick-smeared glass.

Jeff, I'm focusing on the event horizon and staying away from the Black Holes. I have a novelist friend who writes Fantasy/Science Fiction and she is working on a book called The Black Hole Singer. My husband says that pretty much describes every singer he has ever worked with.

I do like the idea of the event planner and her clipboard going through spaghettification. Let's hope they don't wind up on the buffet, next to the three-bean salad and the tortellini.

Greg, PLEASE tell me you have photos of your Tina Turner. Please.
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1279256 - 10/02/09 10:39 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I didn't mean to alarm the buffet browsers--- the wedding planner and her clipboard don't turn into real spaghetti--- and I'm sorry if that's disappointing news to some. Spaghettification is just some Celestial Mechanics wonk's idea of a dry witticism. Actually, angry sorcerers turn offenders into Buffalo Wings. What, you didn't know? Take a closer look next time you pass the buffet table...

My lesson about this came when I did a stint as a taxi driver, many years ago. I used to take pride in knowing where the best doughnuts in town were, but I gave it up when I started to notice the doughnut around my waistline. It never got to the point that I had trouble zipping up my ballgown, and anyway, a taxi driver's idea of dress-up is a kevlar vest. But I gained a special gratitude for you authors during what was otherwise the job from hell, because I had time to read between fares. Arthur Conan Doyle used to live in San Francisco, right across Lafayette Park from Danielle Steele. Mark Twain, too, though I never found out where--- but what difference does "where" make when we're talking about the world of a writer; "where" is right there in front of your eyeballs.

#1281107 - 10/05/09 10:13 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Jeff Clef]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Another TITANIC moment:

Just when I thought it was safe—I've actually managed to play all summer without a bride requesting the TITANIC theme, and I was kind of hoping that particular musical phase of my life was over. The end of an error, so to speak.

Wrong. On Saturday I was asked to play the theme as background music for the bride's poem to the groom. I don't know, but a song about a sinking ship doesn't make sense to me for a wedding, yet so many people insist on using it. And what's with the "My Heart Will Go On" lyric, anyway? It sounds like the theme song for Bodyworld, that exhibit with all the skinless dead bodies, doesn't it?

I'm thinking about getting one of those Kate Winslet Titanic tailored burlap-sack outfits for gigs, but I'm worried the corset might be uncomfortable while playing.
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1281135 - 10/05/09 11:18 AM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Piano Girl RMG]
Monica K. Offline

I think I'd rather listen to the Titanic theme than the bride's poem, though. grin Unfortunately, the number of people who think they can write good poetry far outweighs the number of people who actually can. help

#1281182 - 10/05/09 12:25 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: Monica K.]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I had a great-aunt who was on the Titanic. It was a traumatic experience that left her with tremors for the rest of her life. It certainly was not romantic!

#1281270 - 10/05/09 02:38 PM Re: Let's Talk Weddings [Re: BDB]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, Monica. I agree! Although I have a soft spot in my heart for anyone who tries to write anything at all. It's the mom in me coming out.

Because I'm listening to self-composed poetry in German, it takes the edge off—I'm just grateful if I can understand it. But I suspect it's still pretty bad.

Good grief, BDB, a great aunt on the TITANIC???? That's amazing. I've often wondered how relatives of survivors related to all the Titanic mania. And especially that song! And why of why would someone choose it for a wedding theme?
RMG is a Steinway Artist

Page 5 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 52 53 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
77 registered (Alux, Abby Pianoman, Al LaPorte, 36251, Alex75001, 20 invisible), 1205 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75959 Members
42 Forums
157084 Topics
2306814 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Timing of the trill Invention no 1
by DreamOfSleeping
08/27/14 03:55 AM
Consolation 3 played by Paul Barton question
by briandang
08/27/14 01:37 AM
Toccata Boogie -- piano solo
by Axtremus
08/27/14 01:11 AM
Upright Essex Piano - Is It Worth it?
by Lasa
08/26/14 11:55 PM
I thought some of you pianists might find this interesting
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
08/26/14 11:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission