2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BusyMom
Why can't a teacher just accept the "just bad chemistry" excuse?

Because teachers have egos and feelings like everybody else.

"Just bad chemistry" is never satisfactory. Not when your girlfriend breaks up with you. Not when you get laid off your job.

"Just bad chemistry" isn't satisfactory because it shuts the door for improvement. If you're told the chemistry is bad, that means there's nothing you can do to fix things - you are completely trapped. It's uncomfortable and leads to bad feelings.

I do believe that sometimes the chemistry just isn't right, but expecting people to accept that with no hurt feelings or awkwardness ignores basic psychology. Nobody likes a severed relationship, no matter what the reasons or circumstances.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
M
It appears that a bunch of teachers were not the right people to ask this question of!

The teacher IS your employee: you pay him, his social security, retirement, the whole wad, indirectly. If, for ANY reason, the relationship is not working out, you have the right to go elsewhere, and should.

Whether you're doing the right thing by your kid is a different question.

M
M
Originally Posted by Michael Darnton
It appears that a bunch of teachers were not the right people to ask this question of!

The teacher IS your employee: you pay him, his social security, retirement, the whole wad, indirectly. If, for ANY reason, the relationship is not working out, you have the right to go elsewhere, and should.

Actually, en employer pays half of FICA out of their own pocket. It is not a deduction from the employee's salary. Same with unemployment. Insurance is usually paid for in part by the employer and employee, so again, that is money above and beyond what the employer pays for time worked. These are the costs associated with having employees. A contractor, however, has these costs all to themselves. They can pass the cost along to their customers in their rates, but in teaching music, which is often seen as a commodity, one has to be careful not to price themselves out of the market. If I considered my taxes and insurance costs when figuring my rates, I'd most likely be charging double what I do now, and also likely, not have many students.

Of course customers have the right to choose to do business elsewhere, which is why it makes good business sense to do one's best to make the customer happy. But if that means sacrificing your own ethics and beliefs in what you teach and how you teach, then it is probably best for everyone to let that student go.

I don't think anyone is saying that the OP has to stay with any teacher. However, there are inconsistencies in what has been said to leave some doubt as to whether or not that *is* the best course of action to take. All we can do is react to the information we've been given here.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
If it's so riddled with politics and you feel uncomfortable just walk away. "Conservatory" is just a title -- do the legwork to find a teacher that your son does click with.

Also, don't assume he has his life as a professional musician all planned out at the ripe old age of 9 -- this has BURNOUT written all over it.

~Jennifer Eklund

FREE 90-page eBook of sheet music: www.pianopronto.com/specialoffer

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]
Yo, Mr. Teacher-Basher:
STOP assaulting piano teachers with your "I'm the employer" attitude. It is REALLY getting old. Why don't you post something more useful instead?

[Linked Image]

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Actually, en employer pays half of FICA out of their own pocket. It is not a deduction from the employee's salary. Same with unemployment. Insurance is usually paid for in part by the employer and employee, so again, that is money above and beyond what the employer pays for time worked.

Actually, actually. no matter how you cut it the money comes from the customer, one way or another unless the teacher is independently wealthy and uses another source of income to pay those things.

In my 25 years in the music business, I have met a lot of players and teachers who were jerks, just as in the general population. A teacher who makes kids cry and hate playing the piano should be doing something else other than torturing children.

Sure, we don't have the full story, here, but I certainly do see a pack mentality here in leaping to blaming the mom.

AZN, as the church lady would say, you are SO SPECIAL! Thanks for proving my point.

Last edited by Michael Darnton; 09/22/09 01:54 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BusyMom
Yes, one of the problems was that this teacher was too busy to take the time to explain things well to me. When I interviewed new teachers, I learned some of the reasons for the annoying things he did and I learned that some of my child's complaints were not valid. Remember to stop the lesson early and take the time to communicate well to avoid these problems.

I think I'll hop on the "apologize and make peace" bandwagon myself. Especially because of what you've stated above. You'll feel better and your child will feel better.

I've always felt that learning music should be a labor of love. If it becomes stressful or burdensome then something is wrong somewhere...

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

I really don't think this school of thought (no pun intended) adds value to the matter at hand. I fear it will only create a wrong attitude about the relationship between teacher/student/parent. Wouldn't it be much more constructive to think of the relationship as being partners?

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
B
BusyMom Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you for all the help you have provided. This is a great board with some really nice helpful people. even the people who called me the mom-from-h*ll helped me : ) i know i can get very intense and this is just how i am. i burn out just as quickly and then mellow.

So what I take from your feedback is ....

don't take all this music education stuff so seriously. the most important thing is my son's happiness.

make sure his life is well rounded (it is).

be supportive but not hovering -- no more sitting in the room during lessons or being my son's music secretary! the teacher can call me on my cell phone if she/he needs me in the room for anything.

take him out of the conservatory for the programs that are too demanding for him (ie. piano studies). there are some great small music schools in my city with excellent teachers and they are more accommodating to students who need more flexibility.

i'm not going to change this institution, so just live with it. there are a lot of wonderful things about this school so just focus on the positives.

did i leave anything out?

M
M

Actually, actually. no matter how you cut it the money comes from the customer, one way or another unless the teacher is independently wealthy and uses another source of income to pay those things.

But the customer is not therefore the EMPLOYER. You do not employ the people who work for Walmart, even if you buy items there. If you don't believe me, try firing one of them. They'll just look at you funny and get on with their work. Getting back to my point, you can hire a contractor, but again, you shouldn't tell them how to do work for you, because they have the experience and expertise that you supposedly hired them for! If a student or parent starts telling me that I'm not teaching them correctly, or that I need to teach them to play Sonatas before they learn to play hands together, then I will remind them that they are paying me to use my knowledge to help them be the best pianist they can. If they choose to ignore, or worse, contradict what I say in all matters piano, then there's a problem.

In my 25 years in the music business, I have met a lot of players and teachers who were jerks, just as in the general population. A teacher who makes kids cry and hate playing the piano should be doing something else other than torturing children.

Sure, we don't have the full story, here, but I certainly do see a pack mentality here in leaping to blaming the mom.

I know jerks in all walks of life, not just the music industry, so I don't see how that has anything to do with anything. She didn't say that the teacher made her child cry or that he made him hate playing the piano. Although I do think he may start to hate it from this whole experience. So again, that comment doesn't seem to have a place in this discussion.

I would appreciate if you did more than make two posts before you start accusing the regulars here of "pack mentality." I did not see anyone saying anything unnecessary to the OP, or anything unwarranted. Her reason for posting was not made clear, and so we were left to respond as we could. From her behavior, of which many of us have experienced first hand from parents, there have been questions raised that she has not answered. The behavior she displayed did not show resolution, but continued discomfort for her son to continue lessons. This whole thing is enough to cause a child to want to quit piano, just so that his mother isn't "tortured" by having to attend his recitals and do her very best to "avoid" the teacher. This is not healthy.

As many of the teachers on this forum are conscientious professionals, we cringe when we see such negative behavior taint what should be a wonderful experience for this child. So of course, we're going to speak out against it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

[Linked Image]
Yo, Mr. Teacher-Basher:
STOP assaulting piano teachers with your "I'm the employer" attitude. It is REALLY getting old. Why don't you post something more useful instead?

[Linked Image]

I understand what M Darnton is saying. If you are not happy, go someplace else.

But I also want to say that as teachers we stay clear of parents who think we are an employee.

I am self employed. I sell a product. It is called piano instruction. My students do not tell me how much I make, when I get a raise or how to do my job. They don’t “fire” me, give me performance reviews or pay my FICA. If my customers don’t like my product price or quality, they can buy from another shop.

Piano Teacher.
Church Music Director.
Kindermusik Instructor.
Mom to four boys.

I can agree partly with the idea that the teacher is the employee and the parent is the employer.

But it's a lot like saying the dentist is the employee and the patient is the employer. You can fire them if you don't like how they do it, but you really should conduct an interview first, and employing them doesn't mean you can tell them how to do their job.

I'm also in agreement with Darnton's last statement. I'm a little shocked that people are assuming this person is an overbearing stage mom trying to force her child to do something against his will.

There's something to be said for setting a high standard and approaching piano lessons with tenacity. Some of my best students are the ones who were not allowed to quit when the going got rough.

I realize there's a fine line, but why are we so willing to assume this person has crossed it? I never see people get this upset when a parent appears to be doing too little, and that's every bit as harmful. Doing too little means never pushing your kid so they end up quitting piano at age 14 thinking their a total loser because they never put any real work into it. They still can't get through an A Major scale and it takes them 8 months just to learn something with a title like "Jazz Cat Boogie Time" that has a cartoon cover designed for 6 year olds.

laugh

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
M
Kreisler, I think it has to do with more of the reaction to whatever happened, rather than the actual event itself. It places her son in a difficult position between teacher and student, and that is not healthy for anyone in the scenario, but most importantly not healthy for the son.

I do not consider her the mom from "H-E-double hockey sticks" I think there are some misunderstandings that need to be cleared up, and done in a mature way.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I'm a little shocked that people are assuming this person is an overbearing stage mom trying to force her child to do something against his will.

There's something to be said for setting a high standard and approaching piano lessons with tenacity. Some of my best students are the ones who were not allowed to quit when the going got rough.

I realize there's a fine line, but why are we so willing to assume this person has crossed it? I never see people get this upset when a parent appears to be doing too little, and that's every bit as harmful. Doing too little means never pushing your kid so they end up quitting piano at age 14 thinking their a total loser because they never put any real work into it.

Yes, I think that is a fair appraisal.

On the other hand, perhaps the tone of BusyMom's OP laid the groundwork for some of the more negative aspects of the discussion that followed. Calling one's young child a major talent sets that stage for many skeptical responses.

B
BusyMom Offline OP
OP Offline
B
the teachers say he's a major talent. i didn't invent that.

Last edited by BusyMom; 09/22/09 03:15 PM.
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I think many teachers think of their students and families as "clients". Since I have to do IRS and other accountings in the operation and management of MY business, I do not consider myself to be employed by others. I am self-employed by definition and my "clients" sign "contracts" with me. I am also in control of what happens in my studio both in music education, behavior, progress and the stipulations of my studio policy and tuition fees.

I respect the clients and do everything I can to make their time with me comfortable and focused on doing my job which is to provide services that lead to producing a learning musician. My clients stay with me for long terms because they are satisfied. We "talk" to teach other appropriately about things that concern us, things to address to provide the support the student needs, and things to celebrate.

Being cooperative and invested in the student, no one has to raise their voice, protest, or confront an issue. Concerns are addressed when they are evident and the solutions are a contribution of each person involved - parents - student - teacher.

I responded to the OP as I did because of her statements about several PW identities and the way she protests in a music education system of high regard - any conservatory. When the student is identified as major talent it is more than ever needed that the parent behave intelligently and diplomatically with the administration and the teacher working with the student.

My take has completely been that the parent is creating obstacles. One clue was "trauma" and "drama". I am basically treating this whole topic as a "scenario" rather than a real inquiry as to what teachers would suggest. The OP (in my mind) wants to rant and be powerful over teachers opinions and I think that is continuing to happen.

If the son is a major talent this situation needs to be remedied before he is emotionally injured by the obstacles we are hearing about. Attitude is everything in negotiations and settling differences.

It would be wonderful to see kids supported by the team of parent and teacher. When that is brought to the argument stage no one is a winner - and the biggest loser is going to be the talented kid who is a major talent.

I wonder who we in the Piano Teachers Forum involved so far in this topic are tending to care most about?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Betty Patnude
I wonder who we in the Piano Teachers Forum involved so far in this topic are tending to care most about?

The student!

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Could be another David Helfgott in the making.

[Linked Image]

Let's hope not. But he did turn out allright in the end.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I did some reading up afterwards. Helfgott has bipolar disorder and a mild form of schizophrenia. The movie was a bit harder on his Dad than it needed to be.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
There are loads of politics involved in these places. I fell foul of them myself when I decided to change teachers half way through my post grad course. My old teacher took it badly and made things as awkward as he could for me in my final year. Imagine my surprise when he turned up on the exam panel for my final recital!

Most of the big Conservatoires in the UK have junior departments which I guess are the kind of thing talked about here. Entry is by audition and the standard and expectaton is very high with many students hoping to follow a career in performance. It's little wonder that the teachers are tough and I am surprised that anyone would expect any different. What you get is hard work and strict discipline which is what it takes to make it in this business. There's no time for having fun and playing games. You can't enrol your child in one of these programs and then complain that the teacher is mean and is working them too hard. If playing for fun is the main objective then find a local teacher who offers a more laid back approach. But then don't complain when your child is way off the pace a few years down the line.

Pianist and piano teacher.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission