2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Cashley Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Do both share the same action design ?

Last edited by Cashley; 09/22/09 09:54 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Not at the same time.

whome ha

Good one... but seriously, I'm sure someone knows.

Scott
Associate Member Piano Technicians Guild
RsgPianoService
We love to play BF2
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Both use Renner I believe.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
A friend's 1998 Steinway L has Steinway action parts and hammers, (Labeled as such) but that was then.

I rebuilt the action in my 1917 O with complete Steinway action and hammers as well. The expert Steinway tech who voiced and regulated it suggested I avoid using Renner in that piano.

I am quite pleased with the result. It is as responsive and dynamic as any concert grand I've ever played.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
C
Cashley Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Steinway uses Renner ? Then Steinway is not Steinway anymore.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos

Both use Renner I believe.

Not the New York pianos...and I've heard that Hamburg will be using New York actions in the near future. Or at least NY parts...just something I've heard, so take it FWIW.

@Cashley — The Renner parts used by Hamburg now have exactly the same dimensions as the NY parts. The only major difference I know of is that the action doesn't have the "accelerated" half-round balance rail. I'm sure Peter Sumner will chime in...

Last edited by Horowitzian; 09/22/09 01:27 PM.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
T
T
NY Steinway manufactures their own action parts in-house. They also have the capability to manufacture the german style shanks on their machines as well. I think that the Hamburg Steinway parts are made by Renner to Steinway's specs at the moment.

There are some slight differences in design between the two types, but these are small, like how the keyblocks hold down the keyframe. I don't have any experience with Hamburg Steinway though, so I'm not sure of any exact differences - just what's in the service manual

Matt Quinlan, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Steinway seems to be on a multi-year quest to attempt to standardize the two factories products. NY dropped the L and went back to the O. NY revived the A. Hamburg pianos will soon, if not already, have NY action parts. There was a thread about rim construction awhile back. NY rims have always been laminations of maple. Hamburg rims have always been either beech or birch laminations. Don't know if that is changing. Two factories source their soundboard spruce from different local regions. That may change also.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hamburg Steinway action parts at present(Renner) are different dimensionally than the NY made parts for the NY Steinway. There was a time as in the Pre 1984 Steinway parts whereas Renner was making the action parts for the NY Steinway for Steinway. They(Renner) didn't actually tool up and make the exact copy of the NY parts. They just modified the Hamburg parts in trying to make them compatible with the NY Steinway.They changed the wippen flange and ? in attempting to make this (modified wippen) part work. They also put the 16mm NY shank on to the Hamburg flange.
Hambug shank/flange was 17mm. New York is 16mm.
To make a long story short,they don't work resulting in a very high ratio action. What gets me is,Steinway still sells them and people continue to buy them. I did my research and concluded such. I don't get it.

Now Renner USA is again different than NY Steinway,Hamburg (Renner)Steinway though they work fine in a NY or Hamburg Steinway action specs. smile

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
C
Cashley Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Is it true that Renner manufactured the action parts on Steinway specs, so much so that it's still a Steinway "design" and not Renner ?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Presently Renner manufactures the action parts for the Hamburg pianos according to the designated specs of a Hamburg Steinway.
Again Renner USA Steinway parts are different than Renner made parts manufactured for the Hamburg Steinway.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I suggest that all enquiries regarding the specs of Steinway piano actions of any era...either NY or Hamburg be directed to those who actually know the answer...The Steinway factory in New York....or Hamburg if you are in Europe and your German is good enough.
There are those in these pages who have demonstrated that they are not fans of Steinway and Sons instruments, action designs and ethos....and use the developments taking place at both factories, on an on-going basis, to highlight 'faults' or 'failures', rather than as developments to improve the instruments in everyones interest.
I will not attribute a motive to those who dirty the water....

Just go to the source...it's that simple.

Peter Sumner
Concert Piano Technician

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Peter,
I agree with your concern and your sentiment on this. Unfortunately, often the factory is reluctant to tell the whole truth on various topics. On others factories claim propriatory secrecy. Often it is only through exchanges as this that the truth comes out from a variety of sources.
I feel your concern that there are some on the forum who have other agendas from the truth.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Marty...thanks for the observations....

What about this??
Perhaps the factory errs on the side of caution because they have no clue as to the abilities of the enquirer....
A bit like calling up Ferrari and asking for the gap distance of the spark plugs...
"Oh, and while I'm on the phone...what kind of spark plugs do you use"...
"Oh, yes, I see...."
"And how, exactly, do you put them in"?

There are so many wannabe technicians out there...all with the idea that you just strap the stuff on and off you go...
NO NO NO...
You need to know what you are doing......
When folks don't know what they're doing you get New York pianos with German parts...
Like any good cook, they should just follow the recipe....but then you have to be a good cook....
Maybe cooking would be a more suitable occupation for many in these pages, don't you think?

Peter Sumner
Concert Piano Technician

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
To the cursory observer, the Hamburg arm is rounded. Nothing earth-shattering there.

I do not know the present status of the Hamburg Steinway. As Peter suggests, contact the manufacturer. Some data is proprietary, however.

Historically, in my view, it was the superior instrument. Very European in timbre. (If that's your cup of tea.)

Recently played a masterfully re-manufactured Hamburg. Only one word to describe it: Outstanding.

I hope that Steinway does not Americanize the Hamburg. What a loss that will be. Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with the NY instrument. It is, however, nice to have a different choice among fine grands on both sides of the Atlantic.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Good point; I don't see why there is any need to Americanize the instrument. I suppose it might save money, though.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Yes, unfortunately, sometimes it's all about the money. This economy doesn't help matters either.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Something that hasn't been mentioned are the differences in the hammers. As with the wippens, New York makes their own while Renner makes them for Hamburg to their specs. I would argue that they are an even bigger factor in the inherent differences between the two instruments.

Piano Technician/Tuner

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission