Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
127 registered (ando, ajames, 36251, Almaviva, accordeur, 34 invisible), 1511 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1273397 - 09/23/09 11:38 AM Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190!
Brent B Offline

Loc: Western/Central PA
There are moments in every man’s life that he will remember and cherish forever.

For me, yesterday was one of the days.

I am now the proud owner of an absolutely perfect 2005 Estonia 190 courtesy of Rich Galassini and Tim Oliver of Cunningham Piano Company in Philadelphia, PA.

While the purchase of the piano alone made for a most memorable day, it was actually the events preceding the paperwork and check writing that made for a truly remarkable experience. Dr. Indrek Laul happened to be visiting Cunningham yesterday and I had the honor and privilege of listening to him play my piano. It was an amazing experience. He even signed the plate with an elegant, understated signature.

The piano itself actually has an interesting history. It was owned by a woman in Philadelphia who owned two homes (as most of us do, of course). In 2005, she purchased two Estonia 190s, one for each home (again, as most of us do). She recently sold her “second” home and therefore did not need two pianos. She therefore traded-in both of the 190s on a brand new Bosendorfer. Therefore, Cunningham piano had in their possession what many would consider a rare commodity—a gently used, 4 year old Estonia 190.

My search for a new piano began about 3 months ago. In that time, I looked at many different instruments including Kawai, Yamaha, Cunningham, Hailun, Boston, etc (all the usual players). For the most part, I had settled on the Kawai RX-1 or RX-2 because the price was right and I’ve always loved Kawai. I was seriously considering purchasing the Kawai in the very near future (which, don’t get me wrong, I would have been more than happy with that purchase).

However, last week, Rich and Tim from Cunningham called me and made me aware of an almost “too good to be true” deal on the Estonia 190. I was very much drawn to the Estonia when I had played it in the past, but the price of a new 190 was certainly out of my price range. I won’t quote the final price I paid for the '05 Estonia, but let’s just say I don’t think I could have gotten the RX-2 for this price.

In the end, I am absolutely thrilled with this piano. I had to pinch myself this morning when I woke up.

I owe a HUGE thanks to Tim Oliver and Rich Galassini of Cunningham piano as well as Dr. Indrek Laul. All three of these men exemplify the pinnacle of professionalism and if any of you should ever have the opportunity to work with any of them in any way, you should certainly take advantage of it.

I am anticipating delivery next week and I’ll post pictures of the homecoming at that time. In the meantime please enjoy the following pictures of Dr. Laul performing on my Estonia!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1273403 - 09/23/09 11:44 AM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Brent B]
Keith D Kerman Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
Congratulations!

One of the most compelling things about the Laul Estonia pianos is that it is the only piano manufacturer owned by a real concert pianist! When speaking with Dr. Laul, Shaun and I can actually reference specific moments within specific pieces of music to communicate with him about his pianos performance. This is absolutely invaluable.

Congratulations again on a wonderful piano.
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#1273410 - 09/23/09 11:49 AM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Keith D Kerman]
BB Player Online   content

Loc: Not in Texas
Wow! What a great story and terrific find! You've really got some memories to cherish along with your new piano.

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

#1273415 - 09/23/09 11:56 AM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Brent B]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Congratulations! What a wonderful and rare opportunity you had to get Dr. Laul to sign and to play your piano.

Edited by TX-Dennis (09/23/09 11:56 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

flickr

#1273427 - 09/23/09 12:12 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: TX-Dennis]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
you're so lucky to find that good piano.

i know next week will be wonderful you.

a day that I don't enjoy my Estonia is a way too busy one.

(say hi to Rich for me.. oh yeah, and Indrek)

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1273430 - 09/23/09 12:19 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: apple*]
MPP Offline

Loc: Albuquerque
What a great story! They sound fantastic. What a wonderful experience to meet the person responsible for building your piano...

ENJOY!!!

#1273450 - 09/23/09 12:39 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: MPP]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
We have a similiar story to tell from last weekend.

But not coming with Indrek..... frown

Enjoy your beautiful new piano!

Norbert thumb

#1273481 - 09/23/09 01:12 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Norbert]
koiloco Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
190 is a kick azz piano. I tried it out during my last shopping trip and like it quite a bit.

Enjoy your piano.

#1273508 - 09/23/09 01:47 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: koiloco]
ChasT Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
Congratulations, Brent! What a wonderful story! You got a truly special piano. Now enjoy.

Charles

#1273545 - 09/23/09 02:40 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: ChasT]
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Congratulations! You got a fabulous piano from a fabulous dealer, and what a thrill to hear Dr. Laul playing it himself (to say nothing of autographing it)!

Every time I see Dr. Laul in person or hear him play, I marvel anew at how young he is and how much he has accomplished. What an amazing guy!!!!!

Anyway, congratulations.

#1273634 - 09/23/09 05:19 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Brent B]
d_p Offline

Loc: Boston north
Congratulations! Great piano and a rare find.
Estonia L190 #6989

#1273670 - 09/23/09 06:27 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: d_p]
Terry5758 Offline

Loc: Vero Beach,Florida
My congratulations go out to you as well. I've never played an Estonia but they get grewat reviews on this forum. Enjoy! Enjoy!

Terry

#1273785 - 09/23/09 09:55 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Terry5758]
Norbert Offline

Quote:
I owe a HUGE thanks to Tim Oliver and Rich Galassini of Cunningham piano as well as Dr. Indrek Laul. All three of these men exemplify the pinnacle of professionalism and if any of you should ever have the opportunity to work with any of them in any way, you should certainly take advantage of it.

It's one thing to be working with a commissioned salesman [no pun intended..] and a totally dedicated hands-on owner of a reputable company.

In a similiar vein, for us owners it's another step to work and be involved with the owner of a company directly - in this case, an accomplished concert pianist.

The pleasure of having such personal connection is something that's real for everyone involved, making the Estonia truly one of the most special pianos on the market.

People who choose this piano typically feel something special - they connect with this instrument in a very personal, almost mystical way.

It may not be for everybody, but those for whom this connection
is real, are often as special as is the piano and its owner itself.

Wishing you this 'special' connection and 'special' joy - for life!

Norbert smile

Edited by Norbert (09/23/09 09:57 PM)

#1273905 - 09/24/09 03:33 AM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Norbert]
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
Brent,

Congratulations with your new and rather unique [signed by the company owner] Estonia.
Enjoy many yeras of misic pleasure to come.

Quote:
It's one thing to be working with a commissioned salesman [no pun intended..] and a totally dedicated hands-on owner of a reputable company.

In a similiar vein, for us owners it's another step to work and be involved with the owner of a company directly - in this case, an accomplished concert pianist.

The pleasure of having such personal connection is something that's real for everyone involved, making the Estonia truly one of the most special pianos on the market.

Along with the exceptional build and tonal qualities of the Estonias this is without any doubt an important reason why the Estonia brand was made a success in North America.

At the same time it also explains why they get a much lesser acclaim in Europe.
The decision/choice of not making Europe a priority market, withholds (potential) customers in Europe from these priviledged interactions with reputable dealers and the Estonia company.

Buying an Estonia in Europe is more of an adventure requiring some risk taking, enthousiasm, obstinacy or a combination of these an many other qualifications. smile

schwammerl.

#1273946 - 09/24/09 07:24 AM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Norbert]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Norbert

People who choose this piano typically feel something special - they connect with this instrument in a very personal, almost mystical way.

It may not be for everybody, but those for whom this connection
is real, are often as special as is the piano and its owner itself.

Wishing you this 'special' connection and 'special' joy - for life!

Norbert smile

Norbert:Even your congratulatory replies turn into ads for Estonias and your dealership("us owners" etc.).
yawn yawn yawn yawn yawn

Edited by pianoloverus (09/24/09 09:14 AM)

#1273954 - 09/24/09 08:03 AM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: pianoloverus]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Congratulations Brent!

What a great piano shopping experience! Isn't Indrek fantastic?

(and don't let anyone spoil your purchase thread with his yawns...!!!)

LL

#1273955 - 09/24/09 08:21 AM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: lilylady]
SophieM Offline

Congratulations on your new piano. smile

#1274015 - 09/24/09 09:39 AM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: SophieM]
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Welcome to the club! The L190 is a such a nice piano. Indrek gave a little concert at Ruggero Piano in Raleigh a couple of years ago on one. He really is a marvelous pianist who cares deeply about the instruments that his company makes. He is also very friendly as a person. So it just makes the whole experience that much more rewarding!
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

#1274021 - 09/24/09 09:46 AM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Brent B]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Excellent timing!
Congratulations and many years of enjoyment!

#1274062 - 09/24/09 10:57 AM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Strings & Wood]
plobotta Offline

Loc: Padova, Italy
Wow, you've got a nice way to shop for pianos!
I hadn't a chance to try an Estonia, they say Italian market is not easy for them. I wrote to the factory to ask if there was a dealer around here but they invited me in Tallin (or wherever, I don't remember) to visit them and try their pianos...but it seemed too much for me. Anyway, from many posts in this forum they seem to be excellent pianos. Enjoy the waiting and, superenjoy the arrival and the following days!
Paolo

#1274076 - 09/24/09 11:16 AM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: plobotta]
Norbert Offline

Plobetta:

Writing from Italy I am sure that Paolo Fazioli has a similiar close relationship with his stores and customers.

Mr. Fazioli is also a highly trained pianist whio happens to own a piano company.

To point this out has nothing to to with "advertising" as some short brains keep claiming, but adds a special note to
an instrument and its owner.

For some this is indeed special, for others a cheap ploy to sell their stuff out the door.

Incredible how different we perceive things in this world...

Congratulations again!

Norbert

Edited by Norbert (09/24/09 11:17 AM)

#1274095 - 09/24/09 11:46 AM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Norbert]
Brent B Offline

Loc: Western/Central PA
Originally Posted By: Norbert

Norbert smile

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.

Norbert, I think you may be right about the above. I definitely felt a connection to this piano that I had not felt with any other piano I had recently auditioned. Perhaps it's real, perhaps it's merely because of the "mystique" surrounding the piano, or perhaps I was just enamored by the fact that Indrek Laul was playing my piano. Whatever the reason, I was truly drawn to the beauty, touch and tone of the piano like none other I have recently played and for this reason I made the purchase (Keep in mind, I was almost certain I was going to buy the piano before I knew Dr. Laul was going to be there on the day of the purchase--that was just icing on the cake!)

Ok, enough with the mushy stuff (I'm starting to feel like I'm speaking at my piano's funeral--hmm, i should probably knock on wood, it hasn't actually made it to my house yet crazy). I'm looking forward to posting a more objective assesment after it's been in my house for a month or two--I promise I won't use the word "mystique" or "mystical."

Brent

#1274108 - 09/24/09 11:58 AM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Brent B]
Paul in FWB Offline

Loc: Fort Walton Beach, FL
What great luck! Congratulations!

Paul

#1274345 - 09/24/09 04:53 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Paul in FWB]
saerra Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Congratulations, what an awesome find and beautiful piano. When does it get delivered? I'm excited for you!

It does beg the question though... does Cunningham still have the 2nd gently used 4 year old Estonia? wink wink wink

#1274361 - 09/24/09 05:30 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: saerra]
Terry5758 Offline

Brent,i congratulate you again as i did earlier. I agree with lily lady,don't let any yawns interupt your happiness right now. This is your moment,enjoy it.

Pianoloverous,
Must you always be filled with such gloom and doom? You're so busy being negative that you did not even congratulate Brent B on his special event of a new piano. Somehow i picture your home as being very dark and you sitting behind the computer like a vulture ready to strike. Don't be like the Grinch that stole Christmas. Cheer up! life is good and not everyone is out to get cha! Not even me. I'm sure there is some good way down in ya. It just needs to be brought out. I only wish the best for you. Smile,It feels good.

Sincerly,
Terry C

#1274373 - 09/24/09 05:40 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Terry5758]
Fun Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Brent, congratulation on such a great find. The Estonia L190 is wonderful instrument. I'm still getting to know more about mine. Wish I came across such deal when I was shopping. I'm also curious whether Cunningham still have the 2nd one. Maybe I'll pick it up so I can play dual-piano pieces with my son smile

Edited by Fun (09/24/09 05:41 PM)

#1274387 - 09/24/09 05:50 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Terry5758]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: Terry5758
Pianoloverous,
Must you always be filled with such gloom and doom? You're so busy being negative that you did not even congratulate Brent B on his special event of a new piano. Somehow i picture your home as being very dark and you sitting behind the computer like a vulture ready to strike. Don't be like the Grinch that stole Christmas. Cheer up! life is good and not everyone is out to get cha! Not even me. I'm sure there is some good way down in ya. It just needs to be brought out. I only wish the best for you. Smile,It feels good.

Sincerly,
Terry C

Just calling them the way I see them. Maybe you should read Norbert's 1000's of posts ...or you could just read one since they're all the same.

Nothing to do with doom and gloom.

#1274390 - 09/24/09 05:55 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: saerra]
Terry5758 Offline

Brent,i congratulate you again as i did earlier. I agree with lily lady,don't let any yawns interupt your happiness right now. This is your moment,enjoy it.

Pianoloverous,

SORRY,DOUBLE POST!

Sincerly,
Terry C

Edited by Terry5758 (09/24/09 06:03 PM)

#1274392 - 09/24/09 06:02 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Terry5758]
Terry5758 Offline

Pianoloverous, How about a congrats to Brent B? It's kind of a tradition.

Terry

#1274408 - 09/24/09 06:40 PM Re: Awaiting delivery of my Estonia 190! [Re: Terry5758]
Norbert Offline

Quote:
Pianoloverous, How about a congrats to Brent B? It's kind of a tradition.

It's also another tradition as industry officoal to identify yourself by name.

There's no data on your personal sheet - very uncommon to say the least.

The Mason BB you claim to own either doesn't exist to give no other clues about you - or sits somewhere in your own showroom.

Perhaps not too far from ours by chance?

Your begroaning here against me and the pianos we represent has become legendary.

There's no ryme or reason for it - other than 'the obvious'..

My personal congratulations to Brent again!

Norbert thumb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Roland V Combo VR-09 Question
by contented
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Rachmoninoff Piano Concertos
by RED SHIFT1
12/19/14 08:48 AM
I just bought a Casio PX-780
by Rozzok
12/19/14 07:54 AM
trill RH: the LH goes too fast
by Lorcar
12/19/14 06:44 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159983 Topics
2349368 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission