Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1273944 - 09/24/09 07:11 AM Key weight on a Grand
adrienschmitt Offline

Loc: London, UK
I know this is a subject that has been discussed in previous post but I would like to know your opinion on this.

I have a Bechstein Grand that has been completely renovated a year and a half ago. It has also been regulated and voiced last June.

The impression that I have of the touch is that it doesnt sustain enough. I feel it has a light feeling that's really not appropriate for Brahms for instance. The repetition is not that great also.

For some time I thought voicing it could be a solution.

Then I asked my technician to come and asked his opinion about adding weights.

In my mind I assumed the average downweight of the keys would be lower than 50g. I WAS WRONG. The actual downweight is 52g!
and the upweight is 20g, so nothing extreme.

My technician told me that it could be possible to add some and substract weight to modify the ratio between downweight and upweight. He said he'll look first at the center pins for friction.

I also have an Upright which had been made heavier some time ago. From a downweight of 45g to 55g and I'm quiet happy with the result.
I know the feel and perception of the an Upright is very different from a Grand but what would be the approximate downweight to achieve the same effect? 58g? 60g? 62g?

Thanks

Edited by adrienschmitt (09/24/09 07:13 AM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/adrienschmittpiano/featured

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1274061 - 09/24/09 10:56 AM Re: Key weight on a Grand [Re: adrienschmitt]
Peter Sumner- Piano Technician Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
The upweight of 20g is right on the border of acceptability...if you reduce the leading to increase that number it will make the downweight higher...which is maybe what you need..
It is all in the perception....there are many places in the keys and action that could benefit from a lube of some kind to reduce friction...each case is different.
There are a host of items that need checking BEFORE any 'voicing' takes place.
You might want to research the hammers that were installed...Bechstein, I seem to remember, had a mahogany core in the early grands and, as such, were fairly lightweight....it is essential that this be replicated in the replacements used if the 'feel' is to be kept the same.

#1274072 - 09/24/09 11:11 AM Re: Key weight on a Grand [Re: Peter Sumner- Piano Technician]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
The key that you had measured on your piano has 16 grams of friction. If it were reduced to 10 or 12 -a more normal range- your down/up weight would change noticably. Down minus up divide 2 = friction.
Possible change would be 45/23.

#1276916 - 09/28/09 09:27 PM Re: Key weight on a Grand [Re: Gene Nelson]
adrienschmitt Offline

Loc: London, UK
Thank you for your help,

I realise now that it's not so much a problem of downweight but more of upweight.
I would like to know if the upweight was increased (up to 30g) and the downweight stayed the same (in the region of 52g), would the keyboard feel heavier even though the downweight remained the same... but I guess there would inevitably be a need to increase it by at least 4g.

I just thinking because: I know how 55g on an upright feels like, I like the heaviness of the keys... a little bit stiff, but ok.
Apparently 55g on an upright would feel like 59g on a grand. So if I could get just a little lighter like 56-57g.

http://www.youtube.com/user/adrienschmittpiano/featured

#1291006 - 10/21/09 03:02 AM Re: Key weight on a Grand [Re: adrienschmitt]
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
I apologize for resurfacing a dead thread but wonder if you pros could advice me on a predictament very similar to this scenario. I will consult my own staff tomorrow but wanted to get a better idea of what I am dealing with. I have a Steinway with 52 grams downweight and 18 grams upweight.
Somewhat familiar with the formula for calculating friction I am wondering after addressing friction points which would eliminate ? grams,I don't believe it be enough to make a major difference in raising the upweight enough.

If I chose to hang a bit heavier hammer which would add to my downweight(lets say 5 grams added to the touchweight)how much in ratio would it add to my upweight,after of course addressing most friction points already.

Also as Peter mentioned ,if I eliminated ? lead in making the downweight heavier,what is the approximate ratio of the rise in upweight. Really the same question I guess!

You guys deal with this all day long. Not being a tech,I'd like to get a better idea before addressing my guys. Appreciate any insight.!

Edited by pianobroker (10/21/09 03:27 AM)
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#1292181 - 10/23/09 12:26 AM Re: Key weight on a Grand [Re: pianobroker]
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
In anwsering my own question grin,I am amazed by my prep tech who ceases to amaze me. Having gained 8 grams of upweight just from eliminating friction alone (which I didn't think possible) the piano actually sounds totally different without no voicing at all. The downweight in eliminating the friction from many points changed very little with the upweight changing drastically. I'm very content with approximately 52gms down and 26 grams up with the dampers down. Now with the dampers up I noticed the downweight dropped a bit which is normal but my upweight also dropped 2 grams approximately. The damper action is new by the way. My question, Is it normal for the damper tray when lifted to subtract from the upweight which I need every gram I can get. Am I being too anal or picky ? The piano plays great now and nobody/player wise would discern the loss of those 2 grams of upweight due to the damper tray drag. confused but I'd like to know Appreciate any insight.

Edited by pianobroker (10/23/09 12:31 AM)
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#1292191 - 10/23/09 01:17 AM Re: Key weight on a Grand [Re: pianobroker]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
Not certain what you mean by damper tray drag.
Down and upweight measurements are taken with the damper assembly lifted and out of the equation. It is a good idea however to be certain that there are no friction issues in the damper assembly (I am certain your prep tech has done this) and that the dampers are not being engaged by the key ends too early in the key stroke - about one third to one half hammer travel is a good place to engage the damper lift lever with the key end.
52 down 26 up is a good average place to be.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
87 registered (Ben_NZ, barmassimo, Atrys, accordeur, 23 invisible), 1204 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295893 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
Today at 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
Today at 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
Today at 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission