2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mati Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
It starts today! And off I go to listen to our dear LisztAddict, can't wait to hear him smile If only I will have access to the internet in my friend's home in Warsaw, I will post as the competition unveils. Have fun there!

Mateusz

Last edited by Mati; 09/09/09 12:37 AM.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Ooooh, I am sure Liszt Addict will make a great impression. And it's wonderful to have our very own reporter 'on the ground'. Looking forward to your next news, Mati.

Mati Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hey!

I have just been able to get to the internet for a while. We've just finished first two days of auditions, which closes the first round of the competition. Theoretically 20 minutes ago results should have been posted, but I was not able to wait that long in the concert hall, and there are no results on the website. I'm pretty sure LisztAddict will get through, though.

There were some absolutely formidable pianists and their breathtaking performances. There were many really great and very good ones too. The "amateur" was not really fitting there, if I was to judge - everything has totally professional feel to it.

There were some mediocre or even bad ones too, to maintain the balance. There was a guy playing Heroic Polonaise, after another one playing Polonaise-Fantasie. His performance was... heroic. He was all over the place with his piece. With LisztAddict and my friend we called it a "Fantasy on a polonaise". It was not even a polonaise! Not to mention it wasn't in Ab Major anymore laugh Totally individual composition and performance laugh I know, we shouldn't laugh, but it was irresistible.

LisztAddict will give more meaningful insights in terms of performance quality as he has much more sensitive and trained ear than I do.

My quick thoughts:
- after more than eleven performances I was totally tired with Military Polonaise 40/1
- not that much, but I'm tired of Polonaise-Fantasie too ;-)
- The Hong Kong Lady (Chuifun Poon) left me speechless and I can't wait to hear her again
- I can't wait to hear LisztAddict again too (he will be playing Waltz 64/2 and Bach-Busoni Chaconne I absolutely love)

LisztAddict's quick thoughs:
- the piano left much to be desired. Middle range was dead, action was heavy and it wasn't easy to control (he managed to maintain mastery throughout his pieces though).

More tomorrow, after second round of the competition smile

Mateusz Papiernik

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for finding time & internet access to keep us updated!

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
Mati Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
To explain what I meant by saying that "amateur" is not really an adequate word - I have just found on YouTube a performance of Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano Concerto by Thomas Yu, one of the participants. Another participant is playing Rachmaninoff's 1st Piano Concerto. I was aware that level would be much higher that one would expect from "amateur" (which - especially here - is treated as a word for someone who is NOT good, and not those who are just not pianists by their job), but I must say I was shocked.

I would almost forget. There was a girl, her name was Dobrochna Jakubowska. She, according to the leaflet, was playing for just over two years while entering the competition. She was a really brave and cute girl, I must say. She has chosen a very appropriate repertoire for her skill, not pushing herself and therefore she managed to play everything cleanly and nicely. She received a great applause, and also some flowers from her friends. I couldn't stop smiling watching her - among other contestants, she was really special. She was not up to the standards of many piano virtuosos playing there - but she was special in her own way. I loved the performance.

Mateusz Papiernik
Mati Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
The competition is finally over. Describing all the performances is pointless - nothing can resemble what we could hear live. The level was very high throughout, especially towards the final rounds. I must say I disagree with judges about certain pianists - there were some that, for me, didn't deserve getting in the finals, whereas others should be there for sure. The overall experience was breathtaking. I loved the social side of the competition - I was able to talk to most of the participants on a friendly basis during breaks, which I loved. I even got my sheet music signed by my favourite contestant smile

Organization, from my point of view, was pretty decent. There was only one thing I seriously disliked. The final concert, the only one when the audience was full of people (perhaps many important ones too), was strange. There was a long official talk, but very little playing. One or two pieces by three winners - they didn't break the 45 minutes barrier. I hoped for more playing, and perhaps different pieces than these heard in previous rounds.

The competition will be held every three years. The judges said that due to great demand they are planning to open two divisions. One for very proficient pianists (many contestants had degrees in piano performance, or have played for almost half a century and were at concert level), and one for those who can't play that well, but still want to participate and have at least a chance to achieve something. There were some people who played for a very shord period of time and participated regardless - they had wonderful experience in preparing for the competition and taking part in it. That's why me and my friend are going to participate in the next event too. Even though, it would be even more rewarding if we could play on the same level as other contestants. I like the idea of dividing the competition scene even more. I have no idea yet how they are going to achieve the separation - it's extremely difficult to put a line and divide amateurs into two different groups. I am very curious how they are going to achieve it, but am waiting eagerly.

I wholeheartedly recommend the competition - both for you as pianists and you as audiophiles. It would be a great joy to meet you in the next three years!

There is a small photo gallery on the competition website

http://konkurs.amator.chopin.pl/index.php

I hope it gets updated quickly - they were taking LOTS of photos, yet we can see only some of them, and only from the very first day.

Best regards!
Mateusz

Mateusz Papiernik
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Mati, thanks so much for reporting on this! I would love to have heard the young woman with two years of experience, too - I love live performances like that smile

It will be interesting to see how they can divide up the contestants into different divisions. I think it's a great idea, but then I'm partial to having lots of different levels for people. When I was ski racing one of our main goals was to give away as many trophies as possible, so when a division got too big we'd split it and give trophies in both new divisions smile But it's easy with ski racing because it's timed. Not so easy with piano.

So, you're going to be spending a lot of time over the next 3 years playing Chopin? Have a great time, because this will be really worth the effort. What fun!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Mati, I've been out of town thus missed all of your posts. Sounds like a great time. Many thanks for sharing this with us!!

Mati Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
For those who would like to watch some photos from the competition, the official photo gallery has been put together.

http://www.chopin.pxd.pl/

Dzien 1-3 = Day 1-3
Finał - Finals
Ogłoszenie wyników - Results announcement
Koncert Laureatów - Winners' concert

Last edited by Mati; 09/24/09 05:38 PM.

Mateusz Papiernik
P
P
Hi Mati,

Thank you so much for the information. I didn't know the existence of this competition until a few days ago. If only I could participate in it.

Nocturnes are my favorite works of Chopin. Don't know why they're not included in this competition. Not showy enough?

I'm dreaming of being one of the candidates for 2018. Now... Polonaise is the biggest hurdle to me. It seems that I can never play any Polonaise in my life.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
What a wonderful event this must have been!

Mati, thanks so much for your reporting from the scene.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission