Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1271495 - 09/20/09 10:55 AM "Exercise In C# Minor"
Larry G. Alexander Offline

Loc: Tyler, Texas

Here is my just-completed "Exercise In C# Minor" for solo Steinway Model D piano.

Link: http://www.alexandermusic.com/resources/ExerciseInCSharpMinor.mp3

Regards,

Larry G. Alexander

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1271986 - 09/21/09 08:56 AM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: Larry G. Alexander]
musiccr8r Offline

Loc: Denver
OK, I'll comment, to support your further contributions. It was nice and I liked the alternate section in the major key. I didn't care for the off-beat stuff in there randomly since it didn't fit the style (if you were trying to mimic the style in some pure sense) and it made the rhythm seem to "turn" in such a way that you (as a listener) lost the sense of where beat 1 was for awhile. Which, like I said, seems an odd thing in this style of music.
Maybe a live performance would have mitigated that effect?

#1272068 - 09/21/09 12:17 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: musiccr8r]

Thanks for your comments and thank you for taking the time to listen. I appreciate it.

I don't know to what 'style' you are referring. (?) What does "...off-beat stuff in there randomly..." mean? Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

Regards,

Larry G. Alexander

#1272089 - 09/21/09 01:16 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: Larry G. Alexander]
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I liked it. My own two cents (from one hearing without a score, so take with a grain of salt), it seemed a bit involved to simply be called an "Exercise" - what you have there is basically in Sonata-Allegro form with a good AABA structure. I think with perhaps a little more development of the themes, you could have the workings of a sonata movement.

While I liked it, I thought it could have used a little more variety in the repeated sections. It seemed to me that the first section was repeated verbatim, and then at the recapitulation, it was repeated yet again with a coda at the end. It just seemed that all that repetition could have used a little more flavoring instead of just going over the exact same thing. It also seemed a little "too" stable tonally. It never really got away from c# minor (or C#M in the B section). But again, this was just on a single hearing, maybe I'm missing it.

Nice work - I would like to hear it with a real performance as I'm sure a MIDI performance doesn't really do it justice.

Edited by 8ude (09/21/09 01:17 PM)

#1272130 - 09/21/09 02:21 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: 8ude]
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Hey Larry! I thought it was great. The L.H. syncopation near the beginning (probably what musiccr8r was referring to) I liked a lot.

The only nit I have is in the title. Boring title for such an adventurous piece. I know in prior eras Exercise, Etude, Fantasy, etc. were used often, but today, feel free to create your own original title. Maybe "The Edge of Insanity" - I don't know, but I'm sure you can come up with something more exciting than "Exercise" (almost stopped me from listening (ha, ha).

Wondering what piano sample you’re using? I'm always on the look-out for new samples; and I like this one.

Best, John :-)

#1272134 - 09/21/09 02:23 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: Johnny-Boy]
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I see it was written for "Steinway Model D piano". Is that from Native Instruments or the East West Orchestra samples?

#1272179 - 09/21/09 03:48 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: 8ude]

Originally Posted By: 8ude
I liked it. My own two cents (from one hearing without a score, so take with a grain of salt), it seemed a bit involved to simply be called an "Exercise" - what you have there is basically in Sonata-Allegro form with a good AABA structure. I think with perhaps a little more development of the themes, you could have the workings of a sonata movement.

While I liked it, I thought it could have used a little more variety in the repeated sections. It seemed to me that the first section was repeated verbatim, and then at the recapitulation, it was repeated yet again with a coda at the end. It just seemed that all that repetition could have used a little more flavoring instead of just going over the exact same thing. It also seemed a little "too" stable tonally. It never really got away from c# minor (or C#M in the B section). But again, this was just on a single hearing, maybe I'm missing it.

Nice work - I would like to hear it with a real performance as I'm sure a MIDI performance doesn't really do it justice.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Regards,

Larry G. Alexander

#1272182 - 09/21/09 03:50 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: Johnny-Boy]

Originally Posted By: Johnny-Boy
Hey Larry! I thought it was great. The L.H. syncopation near the beginning (probably what musiccr8r was referring to) I liked a lot.

The only nit I have is in the title. Boring title for such an adventurous piece. I know in prior eras Exercise, Etude, Fantasy, etc. were used often, but today, feel free to create your own original title. Maybe "The Edge of Insanity" - I don't know, but I'm sure you can come up with something more exciting than "Exercise" (almost stopped me from listening (ha, ha).

Wondering what piano sample you’re using? I'm always on the look-out for new samples; and I like this one.

Best, John :-)

The piano is the Garritan Authorized Steinway Model D. In my not so humble opinion, it is the best sampled piano in the universe and beyond. :-)

If you want to see some outrageous original titles for some of my compositions, visit my music website. The URL is below.

Thanks for listening, Mister John.

Regards,

Edited by Larry G. Alexander (09/21/09 03:59 PM)

#1272206 - 09/21/09 04:31 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: Larry G. Alexander]
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I guess I'll have to add the Garritan to my arsenal of piano samples. Did you process the sample, or is it straight out of the box?

Have you ever heard the "Ivory" piano sample? I've read over & over they're the absolute top-of-the-line. So expensive though. The demos sound amazing.

Does Garritan still have the $99 special on the Steinway? Do you know if they require the ILok security. The Garritan Steinway worked great on your piece.

Again, great piece.

Best, John

#1272278 - 09/21/09 06:51 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: Johnny-Boy]

I use no processing on the Garritan Steinway.

I haven't heard the Ivory instrument. I am totally satisfied with the Garritan Steinway.

I believe that he is still selling the Steinway Model D "Basic" for ninety-nine dollars. This includes only one microphone perspective, which is under the lid. There is no ILok involved. If there were, I personally wouldn't buy it. His price is the biggest bargain I have ever seen!

Regards,

#1272283 - 09/21/09 07:09 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: Larry G. Alexander]
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Larry! Are you using the "under the lid" setting on this piece?

I'll probably buy it tomorrow.

Best, John

#1272285 - 09/21/09 07:19 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: Johnny-Boy]

Yes, I have the "Basic" Garritan Steinway only.

Regards,

#1272321 - 09/21/09 08:50 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: Larry G. Alexander]
Johnny-Boy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks! I see it can be downloaded from the Garritan website.

John :-)

#1272336 - 09/21/09 09:13 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: Larry G. Alexander]
musiccr8r Offline

Loc: Denver
Back again, sorry I was away from the only computer that remembers my password! smile Anyway I was referring more to RH things like in m. 11 (as best I can guess by counting it the way I hear it, it may even be meas. 22 I guess if my subdivision was wrong), at any rate there's a brief section where the flow changes from more focus on 1 and 3, by leaving out downbeats, to a more 2/4 feel that seemed slightly out-of-place somehow. By "style" I was referring, I guess, to Bach and his ilk. It was just an off-the-cuff impression before my first cup of coffee was digested, so perhaps meaningless. That measure in and of itself is really not the issue, I guess it just caught my attention because, to me, it felt like you were going for a pretty solid Bach invention sort of thing, then there was that blip of oddity (to my ear) which made me feel like maybe you didn't really WANT to sound Bach-y, in which case I think you should add much MORE stuff like that (rythmic "anomalies") and make it a neo-Bach piece or something like that. Sorry for my imprecise language, I am sure there are much better ways to analyze your work and state what I'm hearing.

#1272350 - 09/21/09 09:41 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: musiccr8r]

I don't knowingly imitate the style of anyone, living or dead. I just write what I feel and what I hear in my mind.

To me, playing two different rhythms against each other is just another compositional tool. I use it frequently. It's a good brain workout because it's not easy to do.

Regards,

#1272722 - 09/22/09 01:10 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: Larry G. Alexander]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Hi Larry,
That was fun to listening to that composition. Very excellent!

The exercises I use for C#-min are Rachmaninoff's Prelude and Beethoven's Moonlight.

I am so naive...I actually thought it was you playing the piano and I was about to ask about the microhpone(s) and their placement. doh!

Looking forward to listening to some of your other computer enabled compositions and learning more about this program.

Glen

Edited by Inlanding (09/22/09 01:13 PM)

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1272762 - 09/22/09 02:17 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: Inlanding]

The computer really doesn't "enable" anything except sequencing what I compose. :-)

Sampled music will never take the place of live performance but it is a wonderful tool nonetheless.

Thank you for listening. If I may help you in any way in the world of samples, please let me know.

Regards,

#1272784 - 09/22/09 02:43 PM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: Larry G. Alexander]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
The piano tones are nicely sampled, that is for sure. That is what first captured my attention and why I was about inquire about the microphone placement and type, etc. Clearly, that's part of the program and not part of what's done as a piece of the composition.

No question you like Bach. I do enjoy Bach as well, and also enjoy music with carefully placed spaces between the notes, Count Basie style.

Thanks again and good luck - you do good work.

Edited by Inlanding (09/22/09 03:21 PM)

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1274737 - 09/25/09 08:26 AM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: 8ude]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
It also seemed a little "too" stable tonally. It never really got away from c# minor

I would have to agree with that. I kept waiting for the music to modulate, go somewhere unexpected.

I don't mind the "syncopated" rhythm, although I don't think it's quite syncopation, at least the stresses aren't shifted from the main beats. Those rhythmic surprises generated intrigue, so I appreciated that.

Solid work! Thank you for posting.

#1274741 - 09/25/09 08:35 AM Re: "Exercise In C# Minor" [Re: AZNpiano]

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
It also seemed a little "too" stable tonally. It never really got away from c# minor

I would have to agree with that. I kept waiting for the music to modulate, go somewhere unexpected.

I don't mind the "syncopated" rhythm, although I don't think it's quite syncopation, at least the stresses aren't shifted from the main beats. Those rhythmic surprises generated intrigue, so I appreciated that.

Solid work! Thank you for posting.

Thank you for responding to my post. I appreciate the listen.

Regards,

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
95 registered (Art_Vandelay, Atrys, Austin D, AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, 28 invisible), 1357 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156219 Topics
2294233 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
07/27/14 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
07/27/14 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
07/27/14 07:12 PM
Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on?
by Alex1
07/27/14 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission