Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1274905 - 09/25/09 01:17 PM Blowing Mistakes Away with "Bubble" Therapy
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Someone pm'ed me to ask about my posting about "bubbles".

I decided to share my answer to her here with other teachers in case you would like to use it.

If this story reminds you of something unusual that you do, you are invited to share your ideas here about helping students overcome the fear of making mistakes.

The blowing of bubbles is completely “charades” and is done sitting on the piano bench.

Grab an imaginary plastic bottle (Have you seen the kids liquid bubbles bottles with a wand before?) in your left hand, unscrew the cap, pull out the wand, dip it back in the bubbles, I knock it on the inside edge of the bottle to make believe it was dripping too much, and then hold the wand up to your pursed lips, and blow a long breath into the circle of the wand that is holding the liquid ready to be blown. Bloooow!

Then you make believe you are watching the bubble drift away and burst one at a time. This happens fairly quickly until they are all gone. You'll need to display a happy, satisfied smile to complete the charade with a positive ending.

What you are left with is the experience!

Bubbles disappearing are like the mistake that was made in playing the piano.

I say: "When you make a mistake, don't get upset about it! The mistake is like when you blow bubbles, as soon as they appear for you to see, they disappear because they are burst. Mistakes made at the piano are gone as soon as you can no longer hear them. Bubbles are gone as soon as you can no longer see them - about the same length of time.”

So you are encouraging the child to continue again with the music and not to be tense over possibly making a mistake this time.

Most mistakes are inadvertent rather than being caused by misunderstanding or being totally wrong. Our fingers make mistakes mostly because of "digit confusion", uncertainty in the fingers moving. Work to improve those things but not to make a big deal over the "problem.

I am actually trying to minimize how the student is feeling about making mistakes. Teachers know making mistakes are a normal part of beginning piano lessons – but the student doesn’t know that – he thinks he is “stupid” or a “mess-up”. Let’s have none of that!

Sometimes kids can make a correction ("fix”) immediately. Sometimes it's a 2 week process before it gets to a satisfactory place.

Bubbles provide relief to the "ordeal" and cajole the student away from the drama of the mistake. Teach them to let mistakes be noticed but not to affect their equilibrium.

And, doing this "charade" was a lot of fun together!

Betty

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1274919 - 09/25/09 01:41 PM Re: Blowing Mistakes Away with "Bubble" Therapy [Re: Betty Patnude]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
Here's mine: Every once in awhile, a student makes a mistake, and on a re-try makes the same mistake or worse, and it goes quickly downhill from there, as the student gets a mentality of failure. On these occasions I have some success with "pushing rewind." I make the child stand up, and I spin them around a time or two. They look a bit confused for a moment(but they're used to expecting strange things from me). I tell them that I am rewinding the tape, and erasing it. It seems to break the cycle, and the student can then sit down and start fresh.

So far, my students all seem to know what a tape is! At some point I guess I'll have to tell them I'm writing over the CD. laugh

Part of why I love working with children is the opportunity to be spontaneous and creative.

#1275003 - 09/25/09 04:07 PM Re: Blowing Mistakes Away with "Bubble" Therapy [Re: Lollipop]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
I love your idea, Lollipop! I will certainly use the "rewind".

I do a thing like winding them up behind the shoulder blades as though they had a "key" that I could turn. I do this so they will have more energy with which to continue their energy. I make sure they actually feel me turning the "key". It works every time. I say, "Let's get you some more energy!"

And I do very much agree with you when you said: "Part of why I love working with children is the opportunity to be spontaneous and cerative."

I would also add the word "fun!"

Betty

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
122 registered (AndyG123, AndrewJCW, 36251, Aleksandra Bukala, 37 invisible), 1728 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75528 Members
42 Forums
156187 Topics
2293590 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New set of studies probing Does Practice Make Perfect?
by music32
13 minutes 15 seconds ago
Toyama Piano- A Year On.
by TheAccompanist
Today at 09:39 AM
Frederick Historical Piano Benefit Concert - July 29 2014
by Terrytunes
Today at 09:25 AM
Using a (continuous) sustain pedal as expression
by barmassimo
Today at 09:06 AM
PianoDiscs and Synthesia
by pianistfromSG
Today at 08:49 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission