2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
45 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I know the article, thanks for linking it. I hate to say it John but a lot of Griepenkerl was a puff. He was extremely keen to set up a German keyboard school tracing its roots back to Bach. There's plenty of evidence here for, as you say, Bach's clavichord touch. There's nothing here about how to play the piano. That was Chopin wot did that.

I've only seen clips but the Fraser looks interesting to me.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Okay...one bone to pick. smile

In Fraser's blog, he shows some children stacking books on top of an egg to show how strong the arch of the egg is.

My hand is different from the egg in one very important way - I have joints, and those joints are held by ligaments, tendons, and muscle. If one were to stack books on top of my hand, the strength of my arch does not rely on the bone (the egg) but rather in the muscles and tendons that hold that bone together. Eggs do not have to worry about tendons and muscles. I do. Putting pressure on an egg does not place the egg in harm until the shell breaks. Putting pressure on the bones of my hand CAN do harm before the bones break.

Fraser titles his post "The Strength of an Ordinary Egg and Piano Technique" but the post only talks about the egg. He doesn't really say how it relates to piano technique, probably because it doesn't.

Fraser's Egg Post

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Interesting point Kreisler, but isn't it rather likely to be less harmful to put a little bit of stress on solid bones and joints, rather than on muscles? Our body evolved with regard to the force of gravity. Various things are naturally supposed to line up along such principles. A good posture naturally involves various bones taking a lot of strain. Bad postures transfer the workload elswhere and cause such things as back and neck strain.

Above all, I certainly feel far less effort in playing now, than I had ever felt before. Whether I might encounter problems later on in life, I can't say for sure. However, I feel confident that the amount of effort I used to feel before learning a stable alignment would have led to far more long-term problems than the way I'm using my hands now. Obviously something somewhere always has to bear a certain burden of effort. I'm confident that seeking alignment is the best of way of making the burden managable, rather than harmful.

Last edited by Nyiregyhazi; 09/27/09 12:20 PM.
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
I know the article, thanks for linking it. I hate to say it John but a lot of Griepenkerl was a puff. He was extremely keen to set up a German keyboard school tracing its roots back to Bach. There's plenty of evidence here for, as you say, Bach's clavichord touch. There's nothing here about how to play the piano. That was Chopin wot did that.

My post did show up! I thought it had puffed off when I got a blank browser screen. Griepnkerl maybe a puff, but the description of the technique provided enough for me to play my clavichord without the bag-of-mosquitos-sound. This made a big difference in my playing, and I've transferred many of these techniques to the piano.

Currently I am studying with a great teacher. We are working together to mitigate my physical stiffness not caused by poor piano technique, but instead the Parkinsons. Her exercises involve the back, arms, and wrists. These piano exercises are simply small scales and three-finger chords played with arms swinging and wrists moved up and down. The back exercises are done away from the piano, and are more for stretching, which I've done in the not-so-recent past. I've only been doing this for about a month now, and the tone difference is amazing.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
A good posture naturally involves various bones taking a lot of strain. Bad postures transfer the workload elswhere and cause such things as back and neck strain.

Agreed!

I don't think anything about piano technique is 100%. There's no such thing as 100% relaxation, 100% finger, 100% wrist, 100% arm, 100% weight, or anything else. Since the body is in motion while playing, there's no 100% correct "position." Since different sounds are produced by different motions, there's no 100% correct way of using any part of the body 100% of the time.

I think when you keep that in mind, you can learn a lot from a lot of people - Lister-Sink, Fraser, Taubman, Matthay, Sandor, Leschetizky, or even the "puffy" Griepenkerl!

www.pianoped.com
Sounds good John.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Kreisler

I don't think anything about piano technique is 100%. There's no such thing as 100% relaxation, 100% finger, 100% wrist, 100% arm, 100% weight, or anything else. Since the body is in motion while playing, there's no 100% correct "position." Since different sounds are produced by different motions, there's no 100% correct way of using any part of the body 100% of the time.

I think when you keep that in mind, you can learn a lot from a lot of people - Lister-Sink, Fraser, Taubman, Matthay, Sandor, Leschetizky, or even the "puffy" Griepenkerl!

Yeah, I agree very much with that. The thing I like about Alan fraser's approach is that aside from showing ways of finding greater stability he doesn't tell you exactly what balance you have to use. He shows you how to find your own style. I think the problem with most 'methods' is that they do not have enough different angles of attack. Since I got my hand working for the first time, various elements of different approaches have become extremely useful. Sometimes I lift the fingers high for practise, sometimes I aim to start solely from the keys. Sometimes I practise (for short periods of time) entirely by gripping or pulling from the fingers, sometimes I practise dropping onto the keyboard from a height with minimal finger use. I had to get my hand supporting properly in the first place for these to start working, but I'm increasingly realising that the best way to go is to learn all the different extremes of movement (provided that you can do them without the wrong kinds of tensions). I don't think many things should be ruled out and I don't believe that there are many instances where learning different approaches should result in any true conflict. I'd have to stress that learning how to support from the knuckles was the single thing that permitted all of these apparently opposing approaches to start offering a wide range of benefits.

I think this is the worst part of methods that approach things solely from the "relax everything and minimise muscular activity" point of view. If you have the premise that the muscles should never be asked to do anything much, there's a far greater limit to what you can do with them. Not having the physical capability to play staccato from the fingers (with a still but comfortable arm), say, is a major handicap. I only just learned how to play this way, after years of having no choice but to move my arm constantly. Being capable of doing something one way should never impose any limit on your ability to do it another way too. Just because a player has learned to use their muscles actively, there's no reason why that should prevent them from also using weight. If I want to, I can slacken my fingers every bit as much as I used to, before I developed a more active hand and finger technique. However, before I learned to activate the muscles, that had been the only option available to me. Approaches that are focussed too much with 'protecting' the muscles from use simply result in fewer possibilities.

Last edited by Nyiregyhazi; 09/27/09 01:56 PM.
Y
OP Offline
Y
Wow this is very interesting, thanks john!

Last edited by YadielOmar; 09/29/09 11:38 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Kreisler / Jason,

I think someone started a trend of calling you John. laugh

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Y
OP Offline
Y
That's very true about no 100% in piano technique, now if only I had the money to try all these wonderful books out lol. BTW Your page has a lot of interesting articles on pedagogy, very informative

I have decided to jump in at the deep end.
I have purchased the book and DVD and will let you all know the results.
I have started reading the Thomas Mark book already but will hold off on expressing my opinion so far as I have not read enough of it.

Stay tuned....

Marcus

Oz Marcus
Currently working on:
Schubert Impromptu in C minor - D899
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Sounds good John.
John as in John citron folks!

ocd Offline
Originally Posted by John Citron

This is Bach's clavichord technique as described by Forkel in the Griepenkerl edition of Bach's Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue.

Forkel's descritpion of JSB's keyboard technique must be taken with some salt. Forkel, born in 1749, never met JSB. He apparently got his description from talking to CPEB and others. CPEB's own technique, described in his "Versuch über die wahre Art das Clavier zu spielen" is not similar to Forkel's description. As JSB was CPE's teacher one wonders why should be his technique so different from JSB's, if we believe Forkel.

ocd

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen."
Y
OP Offline
Y
on which of the books/dvd's?

Originally Posted by YadielOmar
on which of the books/dvd's?

The craft of Piano Playin by Alan Fraser as metioned by the OP in the original thread. I am expecting that with a couple of viewings of this DVD, preferably with a glass or two of nice red wine, that my technique will just flourish and advance in ways that no mere mortal has ever seen!

Do you think that I am expecting too much?

Oz Marcus
Currently working on:
Schubert Impromptu in C minor - D899
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission