Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 168 of 275 < 1 2 ... 166 167 168 169 170 ... 274 275 >
Topic Options
#1271742 - 09/20/09 07:11 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: ChopinAddict]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
I agree. Chopin sounds the best for piano solo. He is THE piano master. Without him piano playing just wouldn't be what it is.

CA

I wonder what modern pianiasm would be like without both of its great 19th century figures, Chopin and Liszt. I wonder how prominent the piano would be in classical music today if neither of them had lived. Anyone care to speculate? Would there even be a Piano World?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1271751 - 09/20/09 07:34 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: ChopinAddict]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
I agree. Chopin sounds the best for piano solo. He is THE piano master. Without him piano playing just wouldn't be what it is.

CA

I'm not sure what you're agreeing with. smile

Chopin wrote at least ten pieces for piano and other instruments, and I would much rather hear the music the way he wrote it than transcribed for piano solo. Even a piece in which the orchestra has such a minor role as the Grande Polonaise Brillante Op. 22 is, to me, preferable in its original form.

Steven

Edit: Obviously, it's okay to prefer the music Chopin wrote for solo piano to the pieces written for piano plus other instruments! I'm sorry if I misunderstood. smile

Edited by sotto voce (09/20/09 07:51 PM)

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1271850 - 09/20/09 11:56 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: sotto voce]
Elene Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: under monsoon clouds
Frycek, I'm intrigued by your accidental word "pianiasm." In homeopathy, a miasm is an inherited tendency toward a certain type of illness. Perhaps a pianiasm is an inborn tendency to become addicted to the piano?

Sometimes I try to imagine what the world would have been like without Chopin, or perhaps even more inconceivably, without Bach. We often think that an individual can't make much of a difference, but clearly some individuals are pivotally important.

(It never occurred to me to consider a Liszt-less world, but that's hard to imagine too.)

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

#1273383 - 09/23/09 11:17 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Hi MaryRose: I don't know how I missed your post about my teaching a Chopin class. I appreciate your support and kind words. What really made me angry and, as a result, was a factor in my creating this course, is that neither of world-class orchestras in my area is offering anything Chopin for the next season. I was/am rrreeeallllyyy angry. I couldn't believe that they completely ignored Chopin on the 200th anniversery of his birth. To further add to my ire...when I informed my husband, ladyfriend and sister of my plans, they ALL asked me if there would be enough people interested in Chopin to enroll. AARRGGGHHH!! I told them that my class would fill so quickly that I would have to turn many away at the door.

The class won't start until mid February, so I have plenty of time to reread the 20 biographies I have on my shelf and immerse myself in all of his music, over and over again. I plan on spending the first 20 mintues or so discussing some of the highlights in Chopin's life, starting from his birth. I will show several transparancies of people/locations from that time period. Then the remaining 1.5 hours of the class, I will devote to a brief discussion of a specific genre and play clips of several recordings of that genre. This will be the most difficult challenge, since there is so much music from which to choose.

I was asked to provide a brief "blurb" for the class catalog. Here it is:

Chopin has been called the “poet of the piano.” His music referred to as “canons buried in flowers." Amazingly, his music has not only survived two centuries but continues to thrive, intrigue, inspire and enchant to the present day. Who was this genius? What is it about his music that has affected thousands and moved many to tears? The depth and breadth of his legacy is extraordinary, from joy and tender melancholy to furious anger, pride and defiance. The man, himself, was a paradox – gentle and refined. But many of his creations contradict this impression. We will touch upon those highlights in his life that drove him. But his music will be the star, for Chopin is his music. We will also discuss and listen to clips of several of his most popular compositions and to many masterpieces that have gone somewhat unnoticed. This class promises a feast to the ears and heart.

Is it a bit too sappy?

Edited by loveschopintoomuch (09/23/09 11:17 AM)

#1273413 - 09/23/09 11:53 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
4000 Post Club Member

Dear Steven:

You might remember the book that Monica suggested we read many months ago:

Your Brain On Music

I recall the author stating that the music we hear as we are growing up is the music we like as adults. I was not even aware that Chopin wrote any music other than for the piano (except for the 2 piano concertos) And I think I am not alone. It was you who informed me of his music for the cello and violin. I purchased a CD and listened to to the recording several times. But, in truth, and Chopin or not, I just couldn't "get into them." I know I have been brainwashed, but at the age of 70, I don't expect my preference will change. But I thank you for enlightening me.

My best,
Kathleen

#1273445 - 09/23/09 12:35 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Chardonnay Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA.
Quote:
What really made me angry and, as a result, was a factor in my creating this course, is that neither of world-class orchestras in my area is offering anything Chopin for the next season.

Funny you should mention that today. This evening, I am going to hear- for the first time- Chopin at the BSO! (Boston Symphony Orchestra)
It is their opening night for the new season, and among the performances will be Chopin's Concerto #2 in f min, with Evgeny Kissin at piano. I cannot wait to hear it, and can't help but think it's about time!

#1273448 - 09/23/09 12:36 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Oh, Kathleen, don't you even like the cello sonata?? Have you heard Emanuel Ax and Yo-Yo Ma play it?

I'm fond of the piano trio he wrote at age 18, but I know that puts me in somewhat of a minority, and that it isn't played much because the violin part is in an inconvenient range.

About your blurb for the class, it seems fine to me overall. Cannons, not canons, though (sorry, editor brain)... you got me wondering whether there are any canons in Chopin's work?

And it seems like his music has affected not just thousands, but millions. Maybe even billions!

(How many people on this planet can hum the Funeral March theme? Or Beethoven's "Ode to Joy"? The number has got to be well over a billion.)

Elene

#1273454 - 09/23/09 12:41 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
Elene Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Chardonnay, yes, it's about time. I hope you enjoy the concert hugely.

How is the BSO doing with the financial downturn? Our NMSO is having big problems right now-- tried to cut the musicians' pay and benefits drastically, like not paying for health insurance at all, and the musicians haven't been willing to go along. They're all in negotiations, and the beginning of the season has been postponed. I don't think that's ever happened before, even during other financial crises. I have tickets for an Olga Kern performance that was supposed to take place in a couple of weeks, but now we don't know when or even if it will happen.

Elene

#1273459 - 09/23/09 12:50 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: loveschopintoomuch
Dear Steven:

You might remember the book that Monica suggested we read many months ago:

Your Brain On Music

I recall the author stating that the music we hear as we are growing up is the music we like as adults. I was not even aware that Chopin wrote any music other than for the piano (except for the 2 piano concertos) And I think I am not alone. It was you who informed me of his music for the cello and violin. I purchased a CD and listened to to the recording several times. But, in truth, and Chopin or not, I just couldn't "get into them." I know I have been brainwashed, but at the age of 70, I don't expect my preference will change. But I thank you for enlightening me.

My best,
Kathleen

Preferring piano music to orchestral music or chamber music or any other kind of music is a matter of personal taste and requires no defense. But although this is a piano-centric community, I don't know what would explain lack of knowledge of the elements of a beloved composer's oeuvre beyond solo piano. The first score one purchases is likely to list the other works in the publisher's catalog; in Chopin's case especially, that list isn't long. Any book about him would be expected to treat all categories of works as well.

I have no doubt that as adults we like the music we grew up with, but it's less plausible that it's the only music most of us like. It's common enough to appreciate new genres entirely, and no stretch at all to think that curiosity would mean ever greater familiarity with what we love the most—especially when its breadth and depth is quite limited.

It would be unsurprising if the general public is acquainted only with Chopin's solo piano works. In a community of pianists and admirers of Chopin's music specifically, though, I would expect a much higher level of awareness. Even if our passion is rarefied, there's nothing recondite about the basis for it; the information is freely available. (If you've been brainwashed, Kathleen, it may be in the belief that your knowledge and understanding need be so circumscribed.)

Nobody need feel pressured to like anything, but I do think that avid enthusiasts should want to know as much as they can.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1273494 - 09/23/09 01:30 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: sotto voce]
4000 Post Club Member

Elene: At first I was horror-stricken that I had misspelled "canon." But the quote came from Schumann, as such:

"If the mighty autocrat of the north knew what a dangerous enemy threatened him in Chopin's works in the simple tunes of his mazurkas, he would forbid this music. Chopin's works are canons buried in flowers." I do believe the canons are the national pride so many believe Chopin wrote into his music.

Perhaps they spelled it this way then or Schumann was mistaken. Anyhow, I do have a valid reference. And I agree that millions have been affected, but I was a bit concerned that I might be overdoing it. I will have to find that CD and listen again. I do love the cello.

And my blood boils when I hear of new sports stadiums being built while the local orchestra is begging for funds. I know that "sports" is a business not an athletic compeition although it seems otherwise. If only students were introduced to the classics early on in school. I believe this might change the current state of affairs. When I taught English and grammar, I made it a point to have the students write an essay in class after listening to a classical compostion, usually Beethoven. I just felt I had some kind of obligation to give the kids a taste of something magnificent. Whether it sunk in...? Who knows?

Chardonnay: And just what is your excuse for letting us know so late about the Kissin concert? wink I know that LisztAddict is a big fan of his.

#1273522 - 09/23/09 02:01 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Perhaps they spelled it this way then or Schumann was mistaken.

The translator misspelled the English word, inadvertently choosing a nonsensical homophone instead. Schumann's meaning in unter Blumen eingesenkte Kanonen is unmistakably "cannon."

Originally Posted By: Elene
you got me wondering whether there are any canons in Chopin's work?

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1273531 - 09/23/09 02:10 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

Elene: At first I was horror-stricken that I had misspelled "canon." But the quote came from Schumann, as such:

"If the mighty autocrat of the north knew what a dangerous enemy threatened him in Chopin's works in the simple tunes of his mazurkas, he would forbid this music. Chopin's works are canons buried in flowers." I do believe the canons are the national pride so many believe Chopin wrote into his music.

Kathleen: your source got confused over the root and gender of the word in question. Schumann's original (from a review of the two concertos, in a section by "Eusebius") reads "Chopins Werke sind unter Blumen eingesenkte Kanonen". Schumann refers to "[die] Kanone", not "[das] Kanon." The feminine "die Kanone," here in the plural "Kanonen" is "cannons" or "guns" in English; the neuter "das Kanon" (whose plural would be "Kanons") is "canon".

I take Schumann's point to be that, under the flowery surface of Chopin's music there lie powerful (national) meanings that threaten the power of the oppressive tsar of Russia (Schumann's "mighty autocrat of the North").

Jeff

#1273588 - 09/23/09 04:03 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
4000 Post Club Member

Thank you Steven and Jeff.

Now I am thoroughly confused. confused Are these plural feminine canons? I hope so because it is the "female" in every species that is the most dangerous. laugh

Steven: I appreciate your comments although I can't say that I totally agree with them.

Kathleen

#1273612 - 09/23/09 04:40 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Chardonnay Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA.
Quote:
Chardonnay: And just what is your excuse for letting us know so late about the Kissin concert? I know that LisztAddict is a big fan of his.

You mean, you would have come to Boston?? grin
Actually that would have been fun- although I suspect that LA is a bit tired from all his travels!

#1273626 - 09/23/09 04:59 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...I loved his [Garrick Ohlsson's] interpretation. And still do to this day. He never received the credit he deserved. I presently own Rubinstein's complete collection (minus the etudes) and Ashkenazy's. I am hopelessly in awe of Rubinstein's performances, but I do have to say that Ashkenazy is a very close second. Budget concerns prevent me from buying any more."

Thanks for your note, Kathleen. It's too true, there are so many worthwhile musicians who are neglected or unknown, though I guess Garrick probably stays as busy as he wants to. His "Complete Works" set is very rich; I'll have to take it in in over time. Yes, tell me about having to budget--- I'm trying to keep mine in check. My wardrobe is a disgrace, but I spend money on CDs, concert tickets, music books, sheet music, piano and tech to go with it. Priorities. I'm trying to catch up on a really bad music education; it's a darkness that doesn't yield readily or cheaply, but if you want light, you have to put yourself where it is.

I have Rubenstein's rendering of the "Waltzes", which I've listened to again and again and have had a whack at playing. No Chopin by Ashkenazy; the recordings I have by him have been a little too punchy to listen to very comfortably, but maybe I haven't found the right thing.

"You sound like quite an expert on the details of specific recordings. Do you like to compare certain performers? What do you look for? Do you follow using sheet music?"

I'm hardly a great expert, just a person who listens attentively and tries to learn and enjoy. I do compare interpretations by different pianists; it can be an eye-opener. I look for works and players who make me feel something, and I don't always understand why this is or how it works, but it's either there or it isn't... though I rarely catch the whole effect in a single listening. I do follow in the score when I'm preparing to learn a piece (a copy usually, so I can mark it up). As my tech, who used to be a Performance major says, some of them are easier to read than they are to play. All too true.

I'm also very interested in pianos: their construction, how they work, how they're different. And I have a more than passing interest in the technical aspects of recordings; it's an art in its own right.

"Post again soon. We are always happy to hear from everyone.

"Kathleen"

Thanks again for your very kind welcome.

#1273640 - 09/23/09 05:38 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

Now I am thoroughly confused. confused Are these plural feminine canons?

No, plural feminine cannons. And grammatical gender in this instance only helps us figure out what the word means; I doubt there's anything else to be read into it.

Jeff

#1273697 - 09/23/09 07:46 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
4000 Post Club Member

Whew... that means I won't have to beg to revise that blub.

Many thanks, Jeff. I took Latin for 4 years over 50 years ago. It has helped me with Spanish, Italian and English (of course). German, not so much. grin

Kathleen

Edited by loveschopintoomuch (09/23/09 07:47 PM)

#1273732 - 09/23/09 08:37 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: sotto voce]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: sotto voce

CA

I'm not sure what you're agreeing with. smile

The two posts before mine seemed to point out that Chopin's solo piano music is better than other instruments + piano, and I agreed... wink

Originally Posted By: sotto voce
Chopin wrote at least ten pieces for piano and other instruments, and I would much rather hear the music the way he wrote it than transcribed for piano solo. Even a piece in which the orchestra has such a minor role as the Grande Polonaise Brillante Op. 22 is, to me, preferable in its original form.

Steven

Edit: Obviously, it's okay to prefer the music Chopin wrote for solo piano to the pieces written for piano plus other instruments! I'm sorry if I misunderstood. smile

Yes, that's what I meant, I just "feel" it more... 3hearts

Music is my best friend.

#1273735 - 09/23/09 08:40 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: -Frycek]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: -Frycek

CA

I wonder what modern pianiasm would be like without both of its great 19th century figures, Chopin and Liszt. I wonder how prominent the piano would be in classical music today if neither of them had lived. Anyone care to speculate? Would there even be a Piano World?

They are both absolutely great, that must be while there are addicts to them... smile

Music is my best friend.

#1273990 - 09/24/09 09:16 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
4000 Post Club Member

Whew... that means I won't have to beg to revise that blub..

Many thanks, Jeff. I took Latin for 4 years over 50 years ago. It has helped me with Spanish, Italian and English (of course). German, not so much. grin

Kathleen

Good grief! I must read my posts more carefully. Obviously, that word should be "blurb" not "blub." Although I must admit the latter sounds more like me than the former. crazy

#1274012 - 09/24/09 09:35 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
4000 Post Club Member

Welcome home, LisztAddict!

What a trip you have had! I wish I could place a wreath of roses around your neck, for you are a winner in our opinion. thumb

Did you take any pictures? When you can tear yourself away from the keyboard, can you share them with us?

My very best to you, heart
Kathleen

#1274013 - 09/24/09 09:37 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
4000 Post Club Member

Whew... that means I won't have to beg to revise that blub.

Kathleen

Add to those romantic languages, French. I can remember just one sentence in French, and I can only say it once a year. Then, of course, I have to say it to someone who understands French. It translates to: "This is the first time it has snowed this year." grin

Edited by loveschopintoomuch (09/24/09 09:45 AM)

#1274080 - 09/24/09 11:21 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Kathleen, my Polish is just barely ahead of your French! I am hoping that eventually the hundreds of words in my head will arrange themselves into some ability to actually SAY something to someone, beyond the most basic greetings. Of course that would mean remembering all the case endings, and that hasn't happened yet-- every time I try, my eyes cross and my brain shuts down. Must buckle down more.

Last weekend we had an International Festival in our neighborhood, and I went up to the Polish booth, where I was plied with tourist booklets, good quality ones that I think will prove useful next year. But nobody was interested in helping me with the language, not even the guy who thought he might like me to treat his back pain.

Steven, I figured that if Chopin had written any canons, you'd know about it. I was able to listen to that YouTube snippet once, but since then (last night) YouTube hasn't been willing to load at all for me. It seems like something is wrong at their site. Anyway, this bit of the canon reminded me a little of the first movement of the first sonata. I can't think of any canon sections of larger works, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is something somewhere. I haven't been able to find out anything more about this piece.

Schumann was prescient about Chopin's music being banned by the authorities-- the Nazis attempted to stamp out all Polish music (you can see how well that worked out!), and if I'm not mistaken, playing Chopin was a capital offense during their occupation.

Elene

#1274110 - 09/24/09 11:59 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Elene
Anyway, this bit of the canon reminded me a little of the first movement of the first sonata.

I thought of that, too! And then I realized that the Minuet of that selfsame sonata is an even better example of a canon.

I've been trying to think of other such writing in Chopin. For what it's worth, the lyrical subject of the Allegro de Concert is given a canon-like treatment in Kazimierz Wiłkomirski's outstanding and beautiful arrangement for piano and orchestra; the soloist introduces the melody, and the strings begin to repeat it one measure later.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1274377 - 09/24/09 05:44 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Jeff Kallberg Offline

In case you didn't see it, an interesting article on Chopin in Warsaw appeared in today's NY Times:

Chopins Poland

It appears, though, that Mr. Kimmelman does not know of the excellent new book by Marita Alban Juarez and Ewa Slawinska-Dahlig called Chopin's Poland: A Guidebook to Places Associated with the Composer (Warsaw, 2008). (Sorry for the lack of diacritics in the authors' names - haven't figured out how to do that here.) The book details a whole host of places that one can visit, including in Warsaw, that have associations with Chopin (churches and salons especially).

Some nice photos with Mr. Kimmelman's article, though.

Jeff

#1274693 - 09/25/09 04:55 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Kallberg]
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Jeff, thanks for pointing us to the new Warsaw book. That should prove most useful to pilgrims next year.

As for canons: slightly off-topic, but I think this YouTube version of a Bach one is too excellent not to point out:

Crab Canon on a Moebius Strip

#1274892 - 09/25/09 01:01 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mary-Rose]
4000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Jeff. The article was interesting if not heartbreaking. I guess it proves "you can't go home again."

The "36 hour" tour article will be extremely helpful to those who plan to visit Poland next year. But, again, where is Chopin? I read somewhere in one of the articles that Poland was the first country the Nazis invaded but the last country they destroyed.

MaryRose: That Bach youtube segment was spellbinding. Did you create it? I can certainly appreciate Bach's music. So many voices saying something different. Very difficlt to play, at least for me. I guess I think on a linear basis, so I find Chopin's melodic line easier to follow, not easy, just easier.

Question: Did Maurice have rheumatism?

Thank you all,
Kathleen

#1274894 - 09/25/09 01:02 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mary-Rose]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"(Sorry for the lack of diacritics in the authors' names - haven't figured out how to do that here.)"

When I just have to, I use Word, then cut-and-paste it into the post. I rarely find it really necessary; more of my attention goes to keeping my foot out of my mouth.

#1274939 - 09/25/09 02:19 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Jeff Clef]
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA

Being in attendance at last Sunday's Frederick Historical Concert, all of the devoted members of Chopin were very much in my thoughts as I prepared to listen to a program of Chopin works played by Robert Finley. He had selected the 1840 Erard for his performance.

http://frederickcollection.org/2009Sep20.html

Robert announced he had recently returned from Warsaw where he had played the same program he was about to perform.

When Robert mentioned the competition in Warsaw, I suddenly thought of LisztAddict and recalled him mentioning here that he was planning to attend a competition in Warsaw. Then with all the info provided I came across both Robert and LA's name on the competitions webpage and a few pictures!

During Sunday’s concert intermission I noticed Robert standing in the balcony of the Ashburnham Community church, where the concerts are held, checking on his video camera and suddenly all I could think of was: YOUTUBE!! This would be the first concert I’ve attended in the past few years where I could ever recall the guest performer recording his performance.

I forwarded a few pics to him sitting at the Erard after his performance and asked in my email if he had plans to share his recording of the Erard on YouTube. I didn’t receive a response but after a simple search, appears Robert is not a stranger to Youtube as I found several other performances he has shared.

I’d like to also add that Robert Finley is the founder of the Boston Piano Amateur Competition that started in 2001.

I am so delighted in finding a few recordings of Robert Finley’s 20thSept performance as part of the fall Frederick Historical Concert series on the 1840 Erard and being able to pass on the youtube links.

#1275388 - 09/26/09 04:35 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Terrytunes]
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Oooh, thank you for sharing these with us, dear Terrytunes! I played the Mazurka one but it sounds strange on my laptop so I'm off to fire up the Viao.

Page 168 of 275 < 1 2 ... 166 167 168 169 170 ... 274 275 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
107 registered (AmateurBob, accordeur, 36251, ABC Vermonter, 33 invisible), 1241 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75353 Members
42 Forums
155801 Topics
2287722 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio PX5S. No soft pedal?
by Indra123
6 minutes 45 seconds ago
Studio Monitor Info -- Zzounds
by Charles Cohen
Yesterday at 11:42 PM
Pictures of my VPC1 setup!
by newbies
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
How much repair work can I do myself?
by chadb
Yesterday at 10:33 PM
Yamaha p120 key issue
by PianoChaseHogan
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission