2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 150 of 452 1 2 148 149 150 151 152 451 452
N
N
Originally Posted by bolt
New poster here. I am in Alfred's Basic Adult Course book #1 and basically hit the wall at Blow The Man Down.

Welcome bolt
I agree, once you get pass BtMD, the 2 hands coordination comes easier. Have fun.

Mooshinator,
Congrats on your new DP. Glad you're having fun practicing.

"He's Got the Whole World..." hasn't come together for me yet. It'll be awhile but it's fun.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
B
B
Thanks everyone for all the welcomes.

I got a little better at BTMD this evening. Then I went back and played all the earlier songs going backwards toward the front of the book.

Then a little more BTMD and then I went past BTMD and started to work on about 6 more.

I have a low attention span. This is more or less how I've done the whole book so far, working on many tunes on the same day. This is helping me a lot with my sight reading since I don't remember all the songs in my head.

I am practicing about 30 minutes to 2 hours a day. Usually I do several short sessions in one evening. We don't have TV and I'm surfing the web a lot less. I guess this is how it was in the old days when piano was a main passtime for many people.

I'm making a point of not looking at my hands at all when playing, just looking at the music. This is what my teacher told me to do. It is giving pretty good results as I expected to have a lot of trouble with sightreading.

"There is more to this piano playing malarkey than meets the eye" - adultpianist
Is everyone practising?

My Chiapanecas is coming along, but still needs polishing (a lot!!!). O Sole mio - I don't really like it, but hey, it is in the book, I have to do it. It is getting there, it is not sounding too bad, but I think I need to improve timing.

Jericho on the other hand is reasonable good. I am not going to put it aside yet, as I like it, and I am going to polish it a bit more, and try and increase the speed. Well, will have to try the The Stranger next!

I have picked up my Greatest Hits book again, and decided that I am not going to try and play all the songs in there. I don't know most of them, so I am just picking the ones I like. So, It is Love me Tender, Edelweiss, What a Wonderful World, It is a Small World, and Beauty and the Beast so far. Only the first one sounds fine, others need some work, but I am loving the Beauty and the beast - never heard it before, but it is a very nice song... Oh, and I know that I will try Sound of Music and Absolutely no way I am going to skip Memory - I love that song!!!!

Alfred's All-in-One: Level 2 - started March 1st!
Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
Well, after deciding that my Jericho is quite reasonable now, I moved to The Stranger and Greensleeves. Ok, I don't expect them to be perfect on the first try, but it was not too bad! I was expecting it to be more difficult. I tried putting hands together in Greensleeves, and it was not bad at all!!!! So, added the pedalling and while it is very slow, it sounds like a song! I am happy!

Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
N
N
Originally Posted by gintarec
Is everyone practising?

gintarec,
Not me. I have been enjoying Thanksgiving too much I forget about my Piano, and this forum smile At this pace, you'll leave me in your dust soon. I guess Thanksgiving is officially over today. Gotta put some practices in to keep pace with you. smile

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Well, we don't 'have' Thanksgiving over here, so I had time to play! (well, we have Christmas shopping and Christmas markets though...)

I have managed to play Chiapanecas with no mistakes today, as well as Jericho!!!!! Still have to keep practising, as my fingers decide to do things on their own once in a while... O Sole Mio is coming along quite well, as well. Lesson tomorrow!!!! Only 3 left before Christmas...

Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
C
C
I relate to your digital piano upgrade mooshinator. I did same sort of thing, started with a very low end Yamaha keyboard and then upgraded to Roland F-110. Night and day. Real keys!

I found a good resource to supplement Alfred AIO. I cannot always be right at the piano. I found a great book for those non-instrument times. "Harmony and Theory A Comprehensive Source for All Musicians" - Hal Leonard. This is a music theory workbook, it provides many practice examples or test s to fill out right in the book (or write in the book). I have worked through three chapters, remarkably similar to subject matter presentation in the same order as AIO. It has helped me with note recognition and reading skills. It looks to be a great supplement for more advanced subject materials too. I will keep it on hand as I progress with Alfred’s. I find it is nice to have something to keep in touch with musical learning even without the keyboard directly in front of me.

I have hit my own personal wall now. I am stuck on Beautiful Brown Eyes. I cannot seem to coordinate the melody over the broken chord F. I make soOOo many mistakes, it is hilarious. One note and one chord... too much fun. I have spent more time on those two measures than most other entire songs to date.

B
B
So I went to my lesson feeling prepared but then had some trouble. For one thing my electronic keyboard at home is not weighted. I guess I have developed a very light touch. So when I went to the lesson I had a hard time playing on a real piano. Plus I felt like I wasn't warmed up. And in a way it might have been a bit of performance anxiety.

"There is more to this piano playing malarkey than meets the eye" - adultpianist
B
B
By the way, forgot to mention, I got Blow The Man Down.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I'm back to piano after an 8 day absence. I brought along my Christmas music, and played a little. It's hard to play on a DP with a dead key. Not to mention 7 grandkids hanging around wanting to talk to me or play with me, or for the little ones, wanting to bang on the piano. I taught my 5 year old grandson to play from memory a few measures of "Jingle Bells", "Jolly Old St. Nicholas", and "We Three Kings". He was so proud. And my 16 year old grandson, and 12 year old granddaughter played some of my Christmas music. They had to give up their piano lessons this year because their Dad's hours at work were cut. I wish I could afford to get them a decent digital, but I could barely afford mine.

So back to practicing today. "He's Got the Whole World..." was a lost cause. I forgot what little progress I had made on that one. I worked on it and "Greensleeves", which is also a little shaky again, but I think a day or two and "Greensleeves" will be fine. I didn't touch "Scarborough" or "Rainsins and Almonds". And I spent way too much time catching up here on ABF.

Great to be home. I love my grandkids, but a week with the 7 of them is way too much.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Well done all!

I had my lesson yesterday. I played 'Little Brown Jug', 'Chiapanecas' and 'Jericho' to my teacher. She was laughing!!!! Not because I played it that bad, but because of the speed!!!! (I have to say, it was not the best - her digital piano keys seemed very light, compared to mine, it is the low end Clavinova she was given by a friend, so maybe it had it's best days in that respect..) She was commenting that the steam is coming of the keys!!!!

I was just trying to play it fast, as it says to play 'moderately fast' in the book. but maybe I did took it a bit too fast....

Anyway, I am putting these aside. I will keep playing them from time to time, as I like them and it is a good exercise for my fingers!!!

So, now I have to polish off 'O Sole Mio', 'The Stranger', 'Greensleeves', 'Go Down Moses', which all are 'nearly there'. And I am starting on 'Scarborough Fair'.

For next time I also got some Christmas tunes to prepare (Twelve Days - in duet again!!!), and I also got sheet music for 'White Christmas' (I am dreaming of a white Christmas...) Lovely song, but really tough with all the cords in the right hand and not just 3 note ones, but also 4-note ones, spanning over all octave and more, including flats and sharps!!!! If I manage one page, or even a few lines to sound anything like the song, I'll be happy...

Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
N
N
mom3gram,
Glad you had a good Thanksgiving/time with your grandkids. I won't have any grandkids for another 30 years I think (my son is 16 months old) but I think I can relate because my parents seem to be very happy when we see them or they see us. Welcome Back.

gintarec,
You always make good progresses. Soon you will leave us all behind. I can't wait to hear another success story. It motivates and pushes me harder smile

I think my "He's Got the Whole World..." sounds pretty good. I can't make it as fast as the CD yet but it's flowing smoothly now. I've also been poking around "The Entertainer" the last few nights. Playing right or left hand separately is ok but combining the two together is a mess LOL. IMO though, I don't think it's that intimidating as when I first saw "Little Brown Jug" or "O Sole Mio". Maybe I don't know what I am into yet? smile

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Thanks, Nguynen - I am just happy to be able to play piano and I have surprised myself at how much I managed to achieve. Honestly, on the days when I am working from home, I just 'have' to make a break in my work time from time and go to play piano for a few minutes. I am loving it. Everyone here is just proving to me tht we can all learn to play! And, most importantly, have fun!!!!!

Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
F
F
Wow quite a bit of new faces has dawned here! I've only skimmed through these last couple pages and it seems the community is once again growing. Will take a read on everyone's progress when I have time as it is always refreshing and gives myself motivation to continue.

I will say one thing though. A beginners pursuit to learn and vacations without access to a piano do not go hand in hand! Beware!! hahaha

laugh

B
B
Not because I played it that bad, but because of the speed!!!! (I have to say, it was not the best - her digital piano keys seemed very light, compared to mine, it is the low end Clavinova she was given by a friend, so maybe it had it's best days in that respect..) She was commenting that the steam is coming of the keys!!!!

I was just trying to play it fast, as it says to play 'moderately fast' in the book. but maybe I did took it a bit too fast....

You have the opposite problem to me! On my teacher's piano the action is so heavy compared to mine that sometimes I press a key and no sound happens!

N
N
Originally Posted by fanatik22
Wow quite a bit of new faces has dawned here!...

I will say one thing though. A beginners pursuit to learn and vacations without access to a piano do not go hand in hand! Beware!! hahaha laugh

fanatik,
There you are. I wonder where you've been. Good to see you back. Don't you think, collectively, we all have brought such positive vibe into this place. It's an unmatched motivational tool. I enjoy it.

Thanks, Nguynen - I am just happy to be able to play piano and I have surprised myself at how much I managed to achieve.

I'm having fun, so much fun sometime I have to log in during lunch and take a peak or write a post. I'm impressed with your progress too. Keep it up. I'll try my best to keep pace with you, but I can't promise I'll be successful. 9 months in now, and I'm still struggling with the last few songs of the book. It's fun though. I just hope I don't quit someday... LOL

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Originally Posted by Nguyen

I'm having fun, so much fun sometime I have to log in during lunch and take a peak or write a post. I'm impressed with your progress too. Keep it up. I'll try my best to keep pace with you, but I can't promise I'll be successful. 9 months in now, and I'm still struggling with the last few songs of the book. It's fun though. I just hope I don't quit someday... LOL

Thanks! And don't you think to quit!!!!! Ever. Not even in sleep. We all here for the long run!

Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
M
M
Hi guys, well I am back from Thanksgiving and back at it! I'm up to a handful of songs that all involve eighth notes (Happy Birthday to You, Skip to My Lou, Standing in the Need of Prayer, and a song from Alfred's Greatest Hits). I can play them all just fine when I'm not counting, but if I try counting while I play I fall apart. It seems that I can either (a) count and play at slow tempo, or (b) play at the proper tempo without counting. So that leads me to a question. smile

Do you guys count eighths (or actually, do you count *at all*) when you get up to proper tempo? Or do you just count at slow tempo until you're comfortable with the song and then rely on your own sense of timing to play at proper tempo without counting?

Or another way of phrasing the question... am I being unrealistic trying to play at proper tempo and keep a steady, accurate count that includes the eighths? Or is this something I need to master and should keep pushing until I get it?

And Nguyen, I agree with gintarec... no quitting for you!! smile

I just don't count. At all... And my teacher is fine with it. I might put a metronome up to see what speed I need to go, but if I try and count, I fall apart. I am fine when my teacher counts for me though!

Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I count to figure out the rhythm of a piece, and sometimes I write it in above the notes, but I can't count and play at the same time, and a metronome on anything but the simplest of pieces is a disaster.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Page 150 of 452 1 2 148 149 150 151 152 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission