2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
GreggF Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi,

My wife is trying to decide between these two. She feels the Yamaha may be of higher quality, tone and feature-wise, but likes the sound of the Casio also as well as preferring it's portability. There is $100 difference and we would like to know if anyone here can offer their opinions on this?

Thanks in advance.

Gregg

L
L
You may get more definitive responses within the next day as i know some people here actually have hands on experience with both models you list. Off the top of my head though i think you're right in thinking the yamaha's tones, especially the added tones, are better than the casio's. The action on the casio may be better, heavier though but that's not a bad thing, but even heavier than the yamaha P155, which has very nice action. The 635 though may have a lesser hammered action grade than the casio; that is the casio may be more like a piano and the yamaha while having hammered action is not the same grade as on their higher models (P155 and others) You may still prefer tha yamaha's lighter action though despite this. The casio is probably better bang for the buck but the yamaha is most likely better quality although if you read reviews on the 635 on musicians friend for instance i think there was one person that had nothing good to say about it; to be fair the other reviewers loved it.---If you're leaning toward getting a DP/keyboard because of those extra sounds the yamaha may be a better choice; if your focus is on piano the casio may be better not for the piano sound necessarily but things like the 16 track recorder, line in and outs... Also i think if you call music123 and ask if they'll still give you the 20% off on the casio they were offering recently (and still may be??) you could get the casio 330 for $560 delivered (ask them to waive the shipping if they would because it's essentially the same weight as the 130 which already has free shipping) but don't quote me on any of that. ---sorry if i'm being both specific and vague at the same time but hopefully it will help factor into your choice.

B
B
I had the DGX 630 (same as YPG 635) and returned because the right loudspeaker was defect! I decided to invest a bit more and get the new PX 330, my reasons:

better keyboard
better piano sounds
More connectivity (Line IN/OUT, 2 head phones, Midi IN/OUT)

I didnt liked the design of the YPG aswell. But imho it was a nice DP for a good price. I didnt liked the head phone connectors at the back of the DP.

Here my pros and cons

YPG 635 | PX 330

PianoSound: OK | very good!
Added sounds: very good | OK
Displa: very good | OK
Connectvity: poor | very good!
Keyboard: OK | very good!
Design: your decision wink

If you are fine with the design of the YPG 635, than go for it, it is a very good DP for a excellent price. If you prefer a better keyboard/sounds & connectivity than go for the PX 330.

But before you buy it online, went to your local music dealer and test both life - this is very important!!!!

P.S. If I had'nt a defect loudspeaker, I wouldnt returned the YPG!

Last edited by BanditHH; 09/28/09 03:12 AM.

Casio Privia PX-330BK
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I've had the YPG 635 for several months. I recently bought the PX 300 as a 2nd keyboard for the portability and the 2 line outs for audio. The Casio had 2 defective keys and so I returned it very quickly and didn't compare as long as I would have like.

She should try them both in stores with a really good set of headphones, preferably side by side.

My opinon:

Casio is more portable, lighter by about 12 lbs, but both are meant to attach to their stands with screw. Same length though, and either one could be taken off the stand.
The piano sound is a little bit better, and I think the touch is slightly better. The location of the headphone jack better.
No included songs or songbook.

YPG: Tones other than piano, dramatically better to my ear. Many more different voices. Has a good LCD display (altho small), and many more features. Educational features available (included songs and more on the songbook on accompaniment CDR). Comes with a lot more stuff, the stand is included, it comes with the survival kit which has 3 DVDs which are very helpful. Because so many of the function keys are right on top, the music stand is set back a bit further. But the functions are much easier to find IMHO. I like being able to look at the score for the included songs, and it has some lessons options.

Price: I got the 330 for $559 on Music 123 on sale, I got the YPG for $739 on sale with a free bench.

If I were to buy today, I would still get the YPG over the PX.
But the difference is closer to $200.

B
B
@Nikalette

God I wish I could life in California.

Here in Germany I payed €749 (~$1094) for the PX-330 incl. folding chair, X-stand, head phones (listed with €849!!!), but I payed "only" €666 (~$972)for the YPG-635 incl. wooden stand, LP-7 pedalset, folding chair & head phones (listed €749). frown

Last edited by BanditHH; 09/28/09 04:32 PM.

Casio Privia PX-330BK
G
GreggF Offline OP
OP Offline
G
We want to thank you all for taking the time to respond to our query. Your advice and experiences have been very helpful. It looks like Barbara, my wife, is going to go for the PX-330. She did play both instruments. The portability and the superior piano sound were the deciding factors.

She is mainly using this for gigs with our band(I'm the bass player.)She doesn't play on every song (yet) but her role gets bigger every time we start practicing for another local gig. The Casio CTK-620L just isn't cutting it and her Roland FP-8 is a pain to lug around due to its size and weight.

We are glad to have stumbled onto this forum. The civil tone and generous exchanges between members I have been reading through while here are inspiring. Very similar to the TalkBass forum I also belong to. Thanks again. We'll be seeing you around.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by BanditHH
@Nikalette

God I wish I could life in California.

Here in Germany I payed €749 (~$1094) for the PX-330 incl. folding chair, X-stand, head phones (listed with €849!!!), but I payed "only" €666 (~$972)for the YPG-635 incl. wooden stand, LP-7 pedalset, folding chair & head phones (listed €749). frown

The price on the YPG 635 there is better than the one on the PX 330. Most places sell the YPG for $899 and the 3 pedal unit for about $75, so that's not a bad deal...the PX 300 usually goes for $699, the X stand about $100, a bench maybe $30, head phones coming with units are usually about $20, so that's pretty steep.

Then again, it sounds like the sellers in Germany aren't negotiating much either.

G
GreggF Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks, Nikalette. We ordered the PX330 today from Music 123 and bargained for the $559 sale price. As it's not advertised on sale we would not known to ask for that if not for you.

Cheers!

Last edited by GreggF; 10/01/09 06:48 PM.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by GreggF
Thanks, Nikalette. We ordered the PX330 today from Music 123 and bargained for the $559 sale price. As it's not advertised on sale we would not known to ask for that if not for you.

Cheers!

Excellent! Consumers unite! thumb

K
K
i own yamaha dgx630=ypg 635(my parent bought me) and casio px320(similar to px330)(use my scholarship money,huuhuh) and this is my conclusion....

design-privia is more stylish n modern look.ypg 635 look a little bit childish,huhuhhu
sound-ypg 635 sound a lil bit better and got alot more sound than px320
effect-ypg 635 give me the satisfaction to create my own piano sounds.px320 got less option.
feel-the feel of the keys is similar but i prefer yamaha keys.
price-privia win big,lot of cheaper than ypg 635
overall-if u got extra money,i advise you to buy the yamaha,but if ure a student(like me) that didnt have alot of money,go 4 privia and it still give u the nice feel n sound.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission