2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
Hey guys!

I've been reading these boards since i started teaching myself piano. I'm a couple months shy of 2 years playing now and wanted to get some input from you guys on my work.

I've written these songs and have a band start-up in the works. I consider it a piano-rock band but whatever it is, it's what i write. Lyrics are written too but i'm still learning how to sing/getting a vocalist, lol. Just a 3 piece practicing, so this is rough. Lemme know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac0_ismq-Sw

Thanks!

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Women are half the population, and so you need to be sure
that you appeal to them too, or you lose 50% of your
audience right off the bat. A lot of young men
will naturally tend to play music that appeals to
the same group, that is, other young males,
but by doing that you lose half your audience
before you even start.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks Gryo, i appreciate the response and advice. I guess it's hard to show what the songs are about without the lyrics but the first one's about dancing with a girl, second about leaving a girl and moving back to la, and the third about my brother's gf cheating on him. Haha. Is that what you mean or are you talking purely music wise it's not appealing to any women?

Really appreciate your time Gyro!
Lance

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
These lyrics wouldn't seem to appeal
to women, that is: leaving a girlfriend;
a girlfriend cheating on a guy; and
just dancing with a girl, and nothing
else.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the forum, BuddingPianist. smile I'm always a little nervous about these threads, because I'm worried that I'll click on the link and listen to a lot of music that really stinks, and then I have to figure out a way to lie about it politely. laugh

So much to my very pleasant surprise, I listened to your clip and found myself nodding my head and tapping my foot and thinking to myself, "hey, this is GOOD." smile

I really enjoyed listening to your band. If you were local I'd go to hear you play in a heartbeat. As for the lyrics, well, as far as we know, Gyro hasn't confirmed his/her gender, but I'm definitely female, and I can assure you that I like to listen to songs about men dancing with women; men leaving women and moving to L.A.; and men being cheated on by women.

In fact, and this is rambling WAY off topic here, but just yesterday I was listening to Dire Straits' "Romeo and Juliet," and I was reminded how, when it was first released, it was the first time I truly understand that break-ups could hurt a man just as much as they hurt women. smile Hearing the other side's perspective is always useful.

Good luck with your music. Don't give up the dream. smile

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Monica said: "Welcome to the forum, BuddingPianist. I'm always a little nervous about these threads, because I'm worried that I'll click on the link and listen to a lot of music that really stinks, and then I have to figure out a way to lie about it politely."

Monica, I can't pass up this opportunity to challenge your comment about "lying politely". Is there such a thing as a "polite lie"? And is that what one would call it when responding to someone else's music performance? You basically are saying you post "polite lies". No?

I don't think a lie is ever valid. But that's my role in music education where the focus is on helping someone gain more control in their music by finding musical things that can be more improved upon and paving the way for the pianist to have the possibility of doing exceptional work in music.

During lessons I always praise worthy things and also I define what needs more attention. I don't and never will give my students or associates "polite lies". I'd rather give them a vote of confidence that they are going to be able to play even better than they did just now. If it's a superlative performance, they deserve the praise. If there are musical points that need reworking, they also deserve to know that, too. Constructive criticism lives up to it's definition of being constructive.

Polite lies get the speaker off the hook but the receiving person is being "had".

I don't think it's a good idea to lie to people for any reason.

If you can't say something genuinely nice to the performer just don't say anything at all.

What a strange way to preface a comment to BuddingPianist, who is a very new member. I think the other comments you made were very nicely stated and they makes me want to hear this link myself.

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Great video! I hope you can sing or find a singer.

Let us know when you have more.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Hey Betty, we all use "polite lies" everyday.

Serge

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the comments guys! Saving for a PA so we can record with vocals sometime, right now i'm running the keyboard through my brother's guitar amp LOL! I think it would sound better through a PA or something but i'm new what do i know.

Vocals wise i like the lyrics written (of course i'm biased because i wrote it) but i'm not confident with my voice. Been singing for about a month and a half now and its getting better but i'm strongly considering taking voice lessons. Just don't want the boring by the book lessons, i want to find my own voice working on my own music! Also money's tight because i'm a college student.

Just FYI for Betty/Monica ... i appreciate good and bad reviews. Honestly, as far as i'm concerned, all criticism is constructive criticism. It's only going to help me better my craft. I'd rather you point out my flaws then praise my mediocrity. But i'm hoping you really did like it Monica!

smile smile

Thanks guys! Have almost a full album written but these are the three we've been practicing and getting comfortable with. We've only been jamming for a little over a month now. This is the first time i've received input on the music so it's pretty exciting to hear what people think.

Lance

P.S. If someone wants an acoustic copy of song/vocals just PM me and i'll record one for you. This will be private, preferably with some advice for me haha!

I really *did* like your music, Budding Pianist. I would not have said what I did otherwise. wink

Betty, if someone asks my opinion about their music and I think it really stinks, I will not tell them that I think it really stinks. I will say something vague but true, e.g., "I can tell you put a lot of effort into this. Great start!!" I call that a polite lie in that I am intentionally attempting to avoid hurting somebody's feelings unnecessarily. I'm quite comfortable with this decision. More often I'll simply not comment on the music/thread if I do not feel comfortable offering genuine specific praise about the merits of the performance.

In any event, I can tell you put a lot of effort into writing your post. thumb Have a nice day!

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Serge88
Hey Betty, we all use "polite lies" everyday.

Serge

Speak for yourself, Serge.

Betty

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
BuddingPianist - I listened to your music, even knowing early on it's not my kind of music, so I'll refer you to Gyro, Monica and Serge for realistic assessments! I can say that your tempo and beat were good - playing in a band myself I can say that that's something we work at all the time, so I admire it when it happens in other bands.

Originally Posted by Betty Patnude
Monica said: "Welcome to the forum, BuddingPianist. I'm always a little nervous about these threads, because I'm worried that I'll click on the link and listen to a lot of music that really stinks, and then I have to figure out a way to lie about it politely."

Monica, I can't pass up this opportunity to challenge your comment about "lying politely". Is there such a thing as a "polite lie"? And is that what one would call it when responding to someone else's music performance? You basically are saying you post "polite lies". No?

I don't think a lie is ever valid. But that's my role in music education where the focus is on helping someone gain more control in their music by finding musical things that can be more improved upon and paving the way for the pianist to have the possibility of doing exceptional work in music.

During lessons I always praise worthy things and also I define what needs more attention. I don't and never will give my students or associates "polite lies". I'd rather give them a vote of confidence that they are going to be able to play even better than they did just now. If it's a superlative performance, they deserve the praise. If there are musical points that need reworking, they also deserve to know that, too. Constructive criticism lives up to it's definition of being constructive.

Polite lies get the speaker off the hook but the receiving person is being "had".

I don't think it's a good idea to lie to people for any reason.

If you can't say something genuinely nice to the performer just don't say anything at all.

What a strange way to preface a comment to BuddingPianist, who is a very new member. I think the other comments you made were very nicely stated and they makes me want to hear this link myself.

And Betty - *I* find it strange that you posted in a new poster's thread only to remonstrate with Monica, and apparently didn't listen to the new poster's music. Hijacking a thread for personal reasons seems ruder to me than Monica's comment, which had a laugh/joke icon with it. JMHO, of course smile and YMMV -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Jotur, those were my thoughts too, I found it strange about Monica's posting what to me was a snide message about "polite lies" to a new poster asking for opinions. It made me doubt the sincerity of her statements when giving reviews.

I'm totally against lying. The truth serves a good purpose in all situations. No one will trust you if you are known or admit to lying. I'm sure people do attempt to justify lies for whatever reason they have in the moment but it is not a place to be if you expect people to rely on your words and integrity.

Hijacking for personal reasons? No, uphold a professional standard that I think many piano teachers uphold. Authenticity in our words to our students and clients made me speak up.

At this point, Lance has said he is open for constructive criticism and I think that's a very intelligent place for him to be since he asked, truly asked, for opinions. He wasn't wanting the quick congratulations that so many people sharing their videos want. They ask our opinions and then argue or get upset sometimes...and it was all about wanting the applause. We all want and need applause but we should also be listening to the merit of some advice and explore that advice further.

This is not about his ego - this is about his music making and creating after two years of self learning and several original pieces he has composed.

My plans are to pm Lance since I've now heard him and his buddies on the video.

Jotur, I, too would like to hear some realistic assessments as Lance really seems to want them.

So, I'd agree with Monica's "Good luck with your music. Don't give up the dream."

One more thing, Jotur. I don't know what YMMV means but I suspect it's "You Make Me Vomit". I really hope you didn't say that!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary smile

No, my dear. I didn't find Monica's post strange - she was, obviously, making a joke. I found yours to be a rude hijack.

YMMV -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Anyways . . . Budding Pianist!

Wow! What fun you guys must be having! Keep going you guys can only get better and better!

Just a couple of things I would suggest;

First, being in a band means you take turns being in the spot light. Kinda like a piece of a pie. Not sure if you were combining two songs into one, but I'd say 9 plus minutes is a bit much for one song.

So about the pie thing, I would suggest that each of you takes a turn playing in spots. Otherwise it just sounds like you are all competing against each other. Highlighting each instrument solves that.

Second, it just seemed that you and the guitar player were kinda playing the same thing. So change it up a bit.

Also, the drummer is your best friend. He is the rhythm and therefore has to be flawless. Seemed to me that both of you were checking on each others timing, and I think the drummer should keeps the beat going!

Just a few suggestions, but as I said before, the longer you guys play together, the better you will know what works and what doesn't. Also, put the drummer in the back, and not in front!

Hope this helps some!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
V
V
Originally Posted by Monica K.
break-ups could hurt a man just as much as they hurt women.

Men are much better actors than women immediately after a breakup. In public, women are crying on the inside and try to put up a front of mirth on the outside (that men can all see right through).
Men are laughing on the inside, and successfully put up a front of sadness and sniveling on the outside, so women won't think wer're all the cads that we are! It usually works. grin

V
V
Originally Posted by Betty Patnude
I'm totally against lying.

I'm against it too, but lies are the glue that bind the entire fabric of our relationships, the oil that lubricates the gears of our entire society. Lies are everywhere. In our homes, in our courts, in the media, in Washington DC, lies abound. In most cases, the truth is too gruesome to bear. eek

V
V
Originally Posted by Budding Pianist
Thanks for the comments guys! Saving for a PA so we can record with vocals sometime, right now i'm running the keyboard through my brother's guitar amp LOL! I think it would sound better through a PA or something but i'm new what do i know.

Soundwise, in this particular mix, the bass player was way too far in front of the mix. His volume was approx. 40% higher than it should have been considering that his lines were very static and in a solely supportive roll. The volume of his 2and 3 rd harmonics alone was enough to wash over most of the piano in the left hand register.

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
VirtuosicOne,

I totally agree with you - lies are everywhere.

To me, the truth is so much easier to deal as it is realistically something that we can stand up for and defend in all sincerity.

We don't have any chance of communicating when we are swarmed with lies. We often have trouble knowing when we've been lied to - it is not a harmless thing to do - it has repercussions all over the world.

I trust people when I meet them and that remains my impression until I am taught differently by them.

The truth is very often gruesome, but it still must be faced.

Betty

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Gollum hates lies too.

[Linked Image]

Here's his reaction after someone told him he was having
a "good" hair day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission