2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 141 of 452 1 2 139 140 141 142 143 451 452
A
A
Hi all, I just finished the Scarborough Fair. Below is my recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2FJ4J9ypnE

The third bar, second measure, note A ('to' in the phrase 'Re mem ber me to one who lives there'), I am not sure whether it should be played with finger number two or three. I played it using fiinger number two and change to finger number three for the same note, similar to the Greensleeves.

I think the challenge for me is concentration as this song and the rest are now longer. I tend to make mistake when i repeat the Scarborough Fair in higher octave

Andre

Oh no!!!! My piano lesson for tonight has been cancelled!!! The teacher got ill...

Alfred's All-in-One: Level 2 - started March 1st!
Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
S
S
I'm new here, and just got Alfred's AIO book 1 to get started with. I had piano here and there in grade school, and have owned a few toy keyboards, but never got very far - I ended up staying with guitar.

When we bought our current house it came with a Baldwin console piano. The family had 4 or 5 kids, and by the condition of the piano I'm guessing it was used for playing by a few, and something else by the others. It was horribly out of tune. The card inside showed the last tuning was done in 1970.

My daughters (4.5, 3, and 2mo.) love hitting the keys, and the sound was driving me a little crazy. I got a basic tuning kit and last night finally got all but the upper two octaves in tune. After that, and fixing a few hammers that weren't returning properly it plays and sounds much, much better. Even the random notes the girls produce sound better ;-)

I haven't formally started, although I did get as far as the first few bars of Jingle Bells, where the left hand is doing C & G.

When I was a kid we had a piano, but neither parent played it nor any other instrument. I'm hoping I can spawn some interest, even if I don't get very good myself.

Steve

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome, Steve. I highly recommend both the Alfred AIO book and this thread for you. And since you seem to be sharing your piano with three little ones, there is a thread right now in the Teachers forum about piano games for 3 year olds that you might want to check out.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
I'll join mom3gram in saying welcome to Steve!!! I am sure you will have a lot of fun with the piano!

I haven't managed to practice much last night, just a few minutes... Quite disappointed, as I want to play!!!! But what can you do - there are other things in life that need to be done...

I was just thinking to myself this morning - how realistic is setting a target to myself to finish the book by Christmas? There are 9 weeks left, and there are quite a few challenging songs as I gather. Also, I really want to try and 'nail' the Bach piece - it is not as easy as it looks at first glance (well, for me) I think there are about 15 songs left (well, don't have my book to hand, but just looking on youtube), so it would work out nearly 2 songs a week!!! Maybe I better give up on this idea...

Well, since I am not going to have another piano lesson for 2 weeks, I think I might try and push myself a bit more... Well, once I did the house cleaning and sorted the menu and cake for this weekend (got some friends coming for a visit).

Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone for the congratulations! laugh And welcome to the new Alfred members!

@BarbVA: Unfortunately my teacher didn't sign the certificate. There are stickers in the other sheet music book I'm using (it was from a friend who took lessons as a child) and I asked my teacher if she could give me stickers too grin But well, I'm too old, so... frown grin

Originally Posted by Zenobe
Fantastic Marimorimo! Well done. Your progress in 6 months is quite amazing. You must be a "natural"!

LOL..thanks, but I think the only thing that's "natural" about me is my stubbornness!! I must say I must be one of the most unmusical persons around...trying to fix that though.

@gintarec: Don't fall into the trap of "must finish the whole book by X months." I was like that, too, and I don't think it's worth it. If anything, it only added to my stress (and piano is supposed to be a stress-reliever!). Finishing at 12 weeks total is a stretch, I believe, unless you don't have anything to do but practice all day, no other pieces to work on, no emergencies come up, and you don't have any days when you just don't feel like practicing. Assuming you're like most adults with a ton of other responsibilities, you'll feel like you're on a race (piano is not a race!), and your playing could turn sloppy as a result. And if your teacher is as particular as mine, there's no way you can get a pass on 2 pieces a week. 2-3 a week is possible at the beginning, but near the end, I was lucky if I passed 1 piece a week (and usually it's the other piece I've been working on for from the past week, not the new piece). I say work at your own pace and enjoy the journey! laugh

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
M
M
Welcome Steve, "m sure you will be hearing alot more banging from your kids when you start playing yourself. Everytime I hop on the piano my two start pounding on the keyboard while I'm playing. Very clever, as it gets me off the piano and attention back on them!

I've contacted a teacher and now organising fortnightly private lessons. Haven't practices for a few days, hope having a teacher motivates me. Oz Leikela, I'll let you know how I go.

**For those with teachers, do you find it motivating? Do you practice more?

Beginner learning with Alfred book #1
Working on Chopin Prelude Op. 28 No.7
K
K
gintarec: 2 pieces a week it not realistic at all, unless you have the whole day to work on them, sorry. I just think it's better to have your expectations right than be disappointed. And if you are ahead of schedule, than it's an extra bonus. The last few pieces are much more complicated than the pieces in the beginning of the book - and they sound much nicer too. You also are working on some additional pieces and it will take a lot of time too. There isn't enough time to do everything. I did Bach's prelude in C major and I totatly love it. It's such a great piece. But it did take me 3 weeks to get a pass on it ( I am ususally working on a few pieces at a time)

music_girl: I've got a teacher after 4 months of study (I've got to go down Moses at that point) and I love it. I find it absolutely motivating, I do practice more (although I always practiced a lot) and I've learnt so much more in the last month and a half. She picks amazing pieces for me, they are much harder than Alfred's pieces and so much more satisfying. Now I've got Lemoine "Study in A flat major" - it's a fantastic piece, I can't stop practicing.

Welcome, Steve, Mike and RemiChen! Great to have new people joining in.

Q
Q
@Gintarec: Some are easieer than others, some are harder. Stressing to finish something is never a good idea I know that myself. And honestly I think The Entertainer and both Amazing Grace probably takes at least 2-3 weeks o finish to play it really well, I don't know how long I've been on the two (though I have slacked on practice lately..) but to at least make those musical its gonna take some time. Though at some point you can do 2 pieces a week. Chiapanecas, Scarborough Fair, Little Brown Jug are also some songs I wouldn't expect to cruise past as well. Finishing it by christmas is far from impossible but its not worth stressing over.

I've been playing I think next monday 4 months and I've got to perfect The Entertainer and Amazing Grace and ill be done. So 3 months isn't possible but I'd recommend not to rush it.

I'm really struggling with the Arpeggios on Amazing Grace can anyone confirm if I'm doing this correct? I can do everything pretty much faultless but the arpeggios just won't do.

First its the right black button for D. Then followed by E, G, returning to D natural and a chord at the end E and G. Am I pushing the right keys? Also how fast should I play the arpeggio? Then last question, I might be doing this wrong, am I supposed to hit one key at the time, then release it by the time I should play the next key OR should I hold it in all the time?

The good thing is I can do The Entertainer pretty well now, I think in a day or two Ill probably able to play it nearly perfect and ready to pass it once and for all. Also ordered book some days ago which will take some time so I might have to find something supplemental while waiting.

Last edited by Quagles; 10/20/09 02:32 PM.
O
O
Welcome to the new people, and congratulations and farewell to those leaving us for book 2!

I've just started Can Can (Gintarec, I think you have over taken me now because seems you started this a few days ago smile ) It's a bit awkward, but I think it's one I will enjoy once I have got it down. Haven't liked the few pieces before this one so really looking forward to some of the pieces coming up.

My goal is also by Christmas, but I'm not pressuring myself into it. I don't think it hurts to set goals as it makes you push yourself, but so long as they aren't unrealistic and you don't go insane trying to achieve it. It's not like I'm performing it at Christmas, so if I don't achieve it, nothing to lose.

Last edited by Oz_Leikela; 10/20/09 06:40 PM.

Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Book #1
Week 7
Kawai K-3
Thanks all! No, I am not going to pressure myself and set any 'hard' target. I enjoy playing and I am happy doing that.

I don't like the Can Can, it is nearly there, but it is just starting to annoy me! I have to confess, I decided to 'look' what is waiting me ahead, and the 'Why am I blue' doesn't sound too bad. And I jsut couldn't resist 'Auld Lang Syne' - I love that song. And it is not that difficult - I nearly got it yesterday! I day or two more, and I think it will be there. I gave a go to 'O Sole Mio!' and that I know will take some time to get right. Did the right hand on Jericho - and it is just such a lovely song. Can't wait to do both hands!

Oh, well, first there are some other songs to learn. Oh, and once I decide to try the next song - I don't leave the other ones to rest. I am still going back to the beginning of the book almost every day and play some pieces up to the point I am at the book before attacking the current 'challenge'. I promise, I won't push myself to finish the book by Christmas!

Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
P
P
Hey all,

I recently started playing piano and got this book to guide me through it. So far I'm enjoying it very much, the book explains things very well. Up to this point the songs seem to be mostly anglo-saxon children's songs though, which I don't know and aren't all that interesting to play either. Still, I'm learning to play and that's all that matters. I have a question though, on page 60 (or somewhere around there, I don't have the book in front of me) the D7 chord for the right hand is explained. How do you properly play that one? My hand has to go into a really awkward and painful position if I use fingers 1, 4 and 5. It works better if I put fingers 4 and 5 further up the white keys, where they become smaller. Is that how you're supposed to do it?

Last edited by Physics; 10/21/09 06:45 AM.
Hello Physics!!!

I agree about the anglo-saxon songs. I don't know them either!!! I have to look up on internet to hear how they should sound, but as you say - all that matters is that I am learning!

The D7 chord - I play as you say, further up they keys. Not sure if that is how it is supposed to be, but that is the only way I found it to be comfortable without hurting my wrist.

Still playing 'Overture'
Clavinova CLP-240
[Linked Image]
M
M
Hi Physics and welcome :-) With the hand position for D7 chord, I move my hand up a little and bend my writst inward and it's very easy that way.

Met with my teacher last night. He is very nice. I played a few pieces for him and he already gave me some tips and excersises which has improved my playing. Wow, what a difference a teacher makes. However, his piano sounds awful, muffled, buzzy. It a baby grand but really really reeeeeeeally old. I have a beautiful sounding Yamaha Clavinova digital. Oh well...

Beginner learning with Alfred book #1
Working on Chopin Prelude Op. 28 No.7
M
M
Hi Physics! Good question... I am actually just around that point in the book as well and I had that exact same question which I was thinking of asking here as well, so thanks! Similarly, Love Me Tender (in Alfred's Greatest Hits #1) has one harmonic interval with the left hand 1 on G and 5 on D-sharp.

So to state the problem generally, it's very awkward to twist your wrist to get your thumb onto a black key when other fingers on the same hand have to simultaneously hit white keys.

I ended up using the same solution that you did, i.e. moving my whole hand up so that the thumb hits the black key naturally without having to bend the wrist and then playing the white keys on the narrow parts of the keys. It's much more comfortable this way though requires a bit more focus than usual to avoid hitting neighboring keys.

If anyone does this differently or thinks this method is incorrect I'd love to hear about it now so I can correct it early. smile

Q
Q
Been playing The Entertained endlessly over and over so much that I'm getting sick to perfect it but now I'm pretty confident its at a very good level, even if I do some occasional mistakes once in a while but I can play it flawless much of the time.

Now just the Arpeggios which I don't even understand in Amazing Grace and I'm done with this book. Well once the book gets here that is wink

F
F
Hello everyone!

Completely new here to the forum and to the piano in general. Registered couple weeks ago and I've read almost all posts here in this thread and I am amazed at how long this thread has been going on. This was started back in 2007!

Well anyway I recently bought a used Yamaha PSR-640 and the Alfred AIO level 1 book in an attempt to learn. This thread has been real helpful with some of the problems I've run into and although I'm roughly around page 50 (jingle bells both hands / I'm gonna lay my burden down), most of the posts here have been on the songs that are very late in the book! Fast progress! lol

I've enjoyed the book thus far but am wondering what other good books supplement this book as far as theory and maybe even other books with sheet music to play? I like playing classical just to throw that out there lol. I looked up marks link "The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread" but it all seemed geared towards the other level books. frown
Curious to know what others would be using in combination with this book.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi fanatik22,

Welcome to the forums and congrats on taking up piano! I've graduated but still check in from time to time. This thread seems to be a bit busier than Book 2.

Quagles asked the same question in the Book 2 thread so I'll just recycle my post there. This site has often been mentioned for free sheet music in different levels as well as having theory lessons: Gmajormusictheory At "Jingle Bells," you are probably in 1st pieces or primer grade. Alfred has many supplementary books for each level such as Greatest Hits, Christmas, Pop, etc. which many other members are using. You can use these, but I personally recommend you get a level one collection of Classical pieces (which are what you want to play, anwyay!) laugh. This is because I am not too fond of Alfred's chordal approach which leaves a weak left hand. I found this out for myself when I started using the book in my sig halfway through the Alfred book. I've searched around and it seems Baroque and Contemporary literature is the best for training hand independence. That said, Alfred is still a good series which is why I'm continuing studying with it.

Btw, I do not recommend the book I am using if you are self-studying because most of the pieces need analysis and technique guidance from a teacher to play them well.

And lastly, don't forget to COUNT! wink I guarantee you will be playing the jingle bells piece wrong if you play it to the tune as you know instead of counting. (It's slightly rhythmically different from the tune we know).

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey, everyone. I'm in Oklahoma, visiting my daughter and family. NO piano in the house! No piano store in town. I'm probably forgetting all my newest pieces, but I know that I will be able to pick them up again in a day or two once I get home. In the meantime, I'm enjoying three of my grandsons, who I only get to see once or twice a year.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
H
H
Hi all,
Just checking in.
I was teaching myself with the AIO book #1 (I took piano for a very brief time back in high school, so wasn't starting completely from scratch, but pretty close to it).
Recently I started working with a teacher, as I had stagnated at Entertainer and wasn't making progress on my own. We backed up a bit in the book to pick up on some things I'd missed, and added a few other books (basic timing, etudes, and Snell's Baroque & Classical level 2).
I'm on Raisins & Almonds now, but I admit that next to my etudes and Snell I just can't find the enthusiasm for R&A. I'll lose 2 hours to my other pieces and then run through R&A in 5 minutes blush
I can't wait to be done with the book! So close, and then had to go backwards (although I think the backtracking was a Good Thing).

Sort of an aside: I have Book 2, but I'm not sure I'll continue on to it. Any thoughts? Is one book too early to stop an official guided course and just start working exclusively on pieces like Snell along with etudes, timing, and scales?

Page 141 of 452 1 2 139 140 141 142 143 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission