2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 6 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 191 of 452 1 2 189 190 191 192 193 451 452
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Your accountant, right? Not Elvis. I suspect he's not eating much lately laugh
Doesn't the radio station get a touch boring? Sure, Elvis was prolific, but all of his recorded songs cannot fill a day of music can they?
I remember my step mom loved top 40 radio too. They would play the # 1 song once every hour. It would be mind numbing to hear the same thing over and over and over and over and over. I haven't listened to the radio since living with my parents!!

Christine

[Linked Image]
Hah, my colleagues always listen to a radio station that airs the same music every day. It's almost the same playlist in a different order each day.
Thankfully they don't have one particular song repeated every hour, that'd completely drive me insane!

I often get to work on my own in a somewhat separated workplace with my own little radio, which I always tune to the national classical station.
Sometimes I get help there though, so we have to figure out what we tune the radio too, since I'm the only one in the entire factory that likes classical music.
Usually we just switch it, part of the time classical, part of the time pop.

It works out well that way.

But to get back to Alfreds;
Finally managed to get a start on Beautiful Brown Eyes, which I had hoped to have done by Thursday last week, but couldn't do it because I fell ill.
Too my surprise, I found this a lot easier then it looked.
I sort of looked forward too it, since I often played a much easier arrangement of it, which I really liked.

Maybe I need to play it well before I can honestly judge the Alfred's arrangement, but I think I like the really easy one a lot more then the much more complex Alfred's variant! ha

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Student/apprentice technician
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats on beautiful brown eyes, Pianosaurus! That is such an interesting observation regarding the very easy/harder arrangements. It might be fun to compare them side by side (literally). Maybe that would allow you to know exactly what you don't like about the Alfred's (other than its harder :D).

Christine

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Pianosaurus Rex
Originally Posted by Cobra1365
Would you recommend Alfred's Book One for someone learning Keyboard too? Is it more "piano specific" or will it still give me good basics to build upon?

Right now, I am using Alfreds Max with DVD for Keyboard. But, it is not very comprehensive and the DVD's, thouhg they initially provide some discussion, end up jumping right to playing a piece rather than discussing what is going on.

Thanks

Alfred's should work just fine for keyboard too.
I'd say it's better than an actual keyboard book, even, since now it'll make transition to piano easier if you'd ever want to do that.

Also you'd learn more about chords, which (to my limited knowledge of keyboard methods at least) is often omitted for the keyboard books, since they usually use those chords you can trigger with one key through some settings of your kboard.

You can still do that of course, but now you also have the entire chord written out for you so you'll have a choice. smile

Thanks Rex! I think I'll pick it up.

Started Playing May 2010 at 51 yrs old, Some Self Learning, Lessons X 3yrs
S
S
So it seems I am way behind the group of you but I am also using Alfred's book 1. I have been playing piano for - lets see - 4 days smile I made it to Jingle Bells! Of course it is quite a challenge for me and probably seems so simple to the rest of you. Getting my left hand to do something different from my right hand is a nightmare!! I sure do hope it gets easier.
Any beginners out there near Jingle Bells in the book?
Any other players got some good advice?
I would love to hear it!
Thanks All!
Sabina

Started playing piano on 6/5/2010
Jingle Bells is kicking my butt smile
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sabina, Jingle Bells kicked all our butts at first. Keep working on it, and you will be so proud when you nail it. In some ways the hands together stuff does get easier, and in some ways it doesn't because there will always be a new, more difficult piece to play. Right now there is a piece in Book 2 that's really kicking my butt, and I've been working on it for a month. Just enjoy the challenge and keep at it, and soon you will be telling some newbie how you conquered Jingle Bells.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
S
S
Thanks mom3gram! I'll keep working at it. I know it will be a thrill when I get it mastered!

Started playing piano on 6/5/2010
Jingle Bells is kicking my butt smile
Hand independence will get easier (There's an active thread about this going on in the ABF at the moment.) but the material you learn will also get harder!
So yeah, good luck! ha

I'm sure there's more people starting every now and then, so you're not the only one at the start of Alfred's! smile

Keep us updated on your progress, and best of luck to your piano adventures!

N
N
Welcome Sabina! I started playing on Christmas Day (in fact, MUCH of Xmas Day was spent playing!!!!) I love it...just take it so and enjoy the process! Welcome to the group..please share your experiences..there are alot of great musicians here to help! And we are all beginners!

Piano Obsession Log:
Began Piano 12/25/09 on Yamaha starter digital keyboard
Playing on circa 1917/18 Chickering Grand Piano since July 2010
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

[Linked Image]

Sabina...you're just a wee beginner...having played the piano for all of a month now I can say.... grin heheheheehehhe

I know exactly what you mean! I posted another thread about making the hands/brain do different things at the same time!

Lots of good info around here! Stick with it and we'll commissurate together! grin grin

Started Playing May 2010 at 51 yrs old, Some Self Learning, Lessons X 3yrs
D
D
Welcome Sabina.

Hand independence is something that will take time to develop and even then each new piece will require practice to get down. I am currently working on The Stranger which is towards the end of the book. I could get through most of the piece without much trouble but there was one particular measure that was giving me a hard time when I tried to play it hands together. I went back to the basics and went through just that one measure hands separate counting each beat as I played it and then gradually brought my hands together very slowly. After a few times through it all came together and now that one problem measure doesn't give me trouble any more.

Patience, perseverance, and practice are the keys. You will also notice that things that seemed like you would never get one day are suddenly quite doable the next.

Doug

I have a great memory, it's just short.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
Welcome, asc and Sabina!

My book doesn't have Good People in it... hearing you all say how hard it is makes some weird perverse part of me want to torture myself and try it.

Had class today.. passed Raisins and Almonds, got to skip He's Got The Whole World.., and I'm on to the Entertainer. I looked ahead and tried Amazing Grace. Some of the sections look pretty hairy!

There was a slightly odd moment today. I noticed that I have a floppy left pinky. Last week in class, my teacher noticed that my pinky kept laying on its side. All week, I've been trying to correct it. I was tensing up my back and getting frustrated every time I played, because I couldn't get it straight. Today I was looking at it and found that I could roll it on to its side while my hand was completely flat. I can't do that with my right pinky. Anyone else have an issue like this? At least now I know it's not just me being lazy smile

A
asc Offline
A
Hello! I have just started Jericho and it's not as hard as I thought that it would be. Still quite challenging, though!

I noticed that I am having a left pinky problem too. Mine wants to hold all of the notes it plays longer than it's supposed to. smile

Have a good day,
Ann

Working on Amazing Grace
Polishing Scarborough Fair
I'm back from vacation. I missed my piano!

Sabina, Jingle Bells was hard for me when I started playing it. I just tried playing it again and still made mistakes! LOL Just take it slow. You'll be amazed at what you can play two months from now.

My recorder is the Tascam Dr-07. I'm going to start recording most of the songs in Alfred's from here on out. I may even go back and do some old ones that I liked.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
Originally Posted by GracieCat
I'm back from vacation. I missed my piano!

Sabina, Jingle Bells was hard for me when I started playing it. I just tried playing it again and still made mistakes! LOL Just take it slow. You'll be amazed at what you can play two months from now.

My recorder is the Tascam Dr-07. I'm going to start recording most of the songs in Alfred's from here on out. I may even go back and do some old ones that I liked.

Ooh, I really look forward to hearing that!

C
C
Hi everyone. I am new to piano and loving every minute. The only other instrument I have played is the Clarinet years ago starting in elementary school. I have had 6 lessons using Alfred's. I really don't get to practice sometimes only 20 minutes a week. I have a 3 year old daughter and 20 month old twins(girl and boy). Very busy and disruptive,but my other passion. It has been interesting for me. 6 month back I used a device that uses sound and led lights to balance both hemispheres of the brain as well as some brain gym exercises. I am amazed how well playing has gone for a beginner who was intimidated for years. I just finished When the Saints. I try new songs and fumble then I seem to dream about it and play it through the next time or close to it. I feel that those exercises have made it easier to get out of my own way. This forum seems really friendly as well as helpful.

Welcome Colby! You've got your hands full right now. smile One of these days they'll be old enough to get their own drinks, make a sandwich, put on their shoes and brush their teeth all by themselves. (My boys are 8 & 9.) Glad you're joining us.

I went back and picked out two other songs that I enjoyed playing and recorded them a few minutes ago. Got Those Blues and Jericho. They aren't perfect but good enough. Personally, I think they're kinda choppy...something I didn't realize until I recorded myself playing.

Does anyone know of a better place to upload these so that people don't have to download them to hear them?

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
wj3 Offline
Outstanding GracieCat. I enjoyed your recordings. You are doing well. If you convert you file to an MP3 Box has an MP3 player. I use Audacity. Its free to download.....You will need something like that if you want to participate in our quarterly Online recitals......

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Those were both excellent, GracieCat.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
A
asc Offline
A
Welcome Sabina and Colby! I have a 14 month old, so sometimes practicing is challenging. She likes to sit next to me on the bench while I play, but she is at the stage where she wants to get up and down often (usually in the middle of the song!)

GracieCat - love your recordings!

Ann

Working on Amazing Grace
Polishing Scarborough Fair
Page 191 of 452 1 2 189 190 191 192 193 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission