2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 13 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
nstaff Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hey I just wanted to thank everyone for the great information and for being so helpful and cool. I'm going to digest all of this over the weekend and respond to your suggestions properly on Monday (I am heading out of the office now and will be out of town/away from a computer for the weekend). I just didn't want anyone to think I was ignoring their posts. Thanks again and talk to you on Monday.

Nstaff, you’re most welcome. See you soon.

Euan, thank you for bringing Vienna Imperial to this discussion. Demos sound amazing.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
First, I like Roland best, personally. But the models that reza mentioned are probably the three that you ought to look at. With one exception--the Yamaha CLP-280 is no longer sold new. So unless you want to buy a used DP, you'd have to consider the Yamaha CLP-380, 370 or 340. The 380 is comparable or slightly better than a Roland HP-207, but it's very expensive and probably out of your price range. The 340 and 370 are basically similar except the 370 has wooden keytops (the "NW" action). They are good basic pianos, although lacking in features compared to the Rolands. I personally find the sound of the Rolands to be fuller and richer than the Yamahas.

The RM-700 is comparable to a Yamaha CVP. If you won't use the rhythms, extra sounds and autoplay features, there's no reason to pay more to get one. Other than these, it's almost identical to an HP-207.

If your budget stretches to a CLP-380, than you can look at the Roland LX-10, which is an HP-207 in a mini-upright case. It has a noticeably better speaker system than the HP-207, but it's rather expensive for the improvement.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Euan, good timing, I'm getting ready to work on an arrangement.

I've been playing the Galaxy II Bosie for c.1 month. Started by way of taking my own advice on the acoustic forum to try as many pianos as are within reasonable traveling distance. Had to overcome considerable bias against the Bosie sound, based partly on having played Steinways almost exclusively and partly on a previous software Bosie which couldn't be made to play softly.

I've tried to set up this piano as one which would be enjoyable to play at home. (I don't/can't do sound production at all.) In the MAIN menu, Dynamic is set to -31. In the TONE menu, low keys = -5. In Velocity Editor I drew a line across c.the upper 1/5 of the Linear Velocity curve. Offset - which relates to the height of that horizontal line - shows as -30.

The Dynamic setting gets rid of what I think is an unrealistic lowest volume. (That's a criticism of DP's that's sometimes made by techs.) A little compression also seems to make the piano more full sounding. Not sure why. The upper velocity limit was lowered because I usually listen thru Sennheiser 'phones and that max velocity was hurting my ears, particularly up in the undamped notes. This was aggravated by deficiencies of technique.

Slightly limiting the volume of the lowest notes makes this piano sound less bass heavy and also makes it easier for someone with very limited technique to control those notes.

Release Samples, Damper Noises, and String Noises are on. If I try any more than that, I get crackling.

IR Reverb is also On. That'd be a definite no-no for any serious producer of sounds and possibly for knowledgeable players, as well.

That's about it. If I fiddle with anything, it'll be to limit the bass notes a little more.

Oh, I've come to like the Galaxy II Bosie very much as a home piano. The lower tenor still seems a *little* too sweet - I'd like to hear some Placido Domingo down there - but the Hamburg Steinway D now sounds a little too incisive and a little cold. (It'll definitely cut thru any mix, tho;-))

Originally Posted by Nikola Tulimirovic
Kawai CA63 is supposed to come out in Japan on the 13th of November. I guess it will be available in US short after presentation in Japan... I hope KAWAI James reads this... And I hope they hit Europe soon enough, or I’ll get angry! wink

To read more about Kawai CA63 debut in USA and Europe, follow this link.

N
nstaff Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hey everyone - thanks for all the help and guidance. I went to a piano store this weekend and listened to the Roland LX-10 and as good as it was I realized that my girlfriend wouldn't like the sound at all (I don't think this would be specific to the Roland, but rather for all digital pianos). So I think I will be going with an acoustic upright instead. Thanks again.

-Nick

T
T
There are even more variations for acoustic uprights smile! So I agree with earlier posts that you should let her pick, unless you feel you are familiar enough about her sound and touch preferences to make the choice.

Good acoustics also cost more than digitals. For example, the Kawai K3 would cost about twice your stated budget ...

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Tony Lau
Good acoustics also cost more than digitals. For example, the Kawai K3 would cost about twice your stated budget ...

Advantage of going with an acoustic though is that there isn't nearly as much of a stigma to purchasing used. In this neck of the woods, finding used but in good shape U1/U3's around the OP's price range is fairly easy.

That said, to the OP, I can't state in any stronger words how important it will be to let your GF pick out her own piano. This is now amplified by the fact that you have decided to go the acoustic route. Even two different examples of the same model can be radically different in touch and tone. If your GF is discerning enough to know that she prefers Bosie's over Steinways, then you are doing her a massive disservice by not allowing her to pick the piano herself.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bitWrangler

That said, to the OP, I can't state in any stronger words how important it will be to let your GF pick out her own piano. This is now amplified by the fact that you have decided to go the acoustic route. Even two different examples of the same model can be radically different in touch and tone. If your GF is discerning enough to know that she prefers Bosie's over Steinways, then you are doing her a massive disservice by not allowing her to pick the piano herself.

cool
Well said!

L
L
Maybe you could let her pick but you shell out the dough-re-mi!

P
P
My favorite acoustic is also Bösendorfer, but not because it sounds great (though it does). It's the butter smooth response of the keys. There's really nothing like it.

Surprising your GF with a special gift when you know exactly what she wants, is great, but you don't know exactly what she wants. You could easily end up spending $3,000 + on a nice digital or used acoustic that is less than her preference.

While intending to demonstrate the depth of your love, the cost of the momentary "surprise" can easily lead to negative relationship stress. Prove to her that you respect her ability to choose what's best, above your own.

Either tell her before the holidays so she has a piano to play by the time the holidays come around, or (I would do the following) give her a piano jewelry box ( like this one) with a gift card inside that commits $3,000 towards a piano purchase.

Her joy of searching and playing many different piano's far outweighs any momentary surprise.

Kurzweil K2600xs - yeah, it's purple :p , Alesis M1 Active MkII Monitors, [b]Roland RD-300s Restoration Project[/b] completed.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission