Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1279629 - 10/02/09 09:04 PM pedaling with great effort
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Kentucky
I have an adult student who has had one year of lessons, progressing well...but when he pedals he looks like it's this great effort to play notes and pedal at the same time.

So far I've just brought the problem to his attention and demonstrated pedaling.I'm planning to suggest some pedaling practice, apart from his music. Perhaps playing triads and pedaling with each new triad moving up a C scale. Any suggestions for helping a student with pedaling?

"She played upon her music box
a fancy air by chance,
And straightaway all her polka dots
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1279642 - 10/02/09 09:21 PM Re: pedaling with great effort [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Introducing the pedal is like telling someone who has just learned to juggle three balls that "guess what...here is four balls!" That is their perspective.

What you suggest sounds like a good solution...have him go very slowly and built up the tempo.

Also, you might try going back to one of his earliest pieces, one that he liked then, and could play well. First have him review it, and see if he still can play it well. If so, put in some pedal markings, say for the first two beats of each measure, and have him practice the pedal at a slow tempo that way.

By doing that, he will be introducing the pedal on a piece of music that he has mastered, that is easy, and that has been in his mind for a long time.

Good Luck, and keep us posted.

#1279647 - 10/02/09 09:33 PM Re: pedaling with great effort [Re: rocket88]
foxyw Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
I'm an adult student and for the first 6 or 8 months of lessons, I could only pedal with great effort. It was as rocket88 said - another ball to juggle when I was already working hard on the first three. For my first year of lessons (I was an adult restarter and never got as far as learning to pedal the first time around) I worked through the Faber and Faber Adult book 2 and it had a number of helpful pedal exercises like you suggested where you play triads and pedal and move up the scale. Those exercises, together with playing a number of pop and rock pieces where I pedal on every chord change has really helped to improve my pedal technique. These pieces do not have pedal markings in them, I just pedal at each chord change in the left hand. I no longer fear the pedal as I did early on during my lessons.

Edited by foxyw (10/02/09 09:34 PM)

#1279815 - 10/03/09 07:34 AM Re: pedaling with great effort [Re: foxyw]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Rocket88 and Foxyw, thank you for your insights and suggestions. This encourages me that practice (pedaling)with something he already has confidence in playing will help improve his pedal technique.

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1279829 - 10/03/09 08:59 AM Re: pedaling with great effort [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I teach legato pedaling first by having the student play a C major scale and pedal each note, except they have to play the scale with just finger 2! They are supposed to listen intently to see if they hear a space at all between the notes, and the goal, of course, is to have no spaces at all.

With those new to pedaling, I always add that much later. Of course, students who are better listeners pedal much easier and know instinctively when to change. But those who do not have to cultivate the skill of listening, and if they are distracted by the notes, articulations, or dynamics, they won't have any room left mentally for listening.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1279880 - 10/03/09 10:28 AM Re: pedaling with great effort [Re: Morodiene]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Ann, what's nice about teaching adults is that you can explain in detail about the piano's pedals and how they enrich the sound and help with musical interpretation.

Lifting the dampers off the strings allows the instrument to vibrate longer and add interesting overtones and harmonics, enriching the overall aural experience.

When we lift the dampers is a matter of style. For the Baroque and Classical periods, we often pedal on the beat; for the Romantic, we can pedal as Morodiene described (and this would/should be the first pedaling technique learned by the student anyway); for the Impressionistic, we can teach letting the sounds bleed together, half and quarter pedaling, which I actually teach advanced students to use in both Classical and Romantic music as well, and flutter pedal. If adults become aware of the great variety and usefulness of the damper, unicorda, and sostenuto pedals, they will probably find interest in mastering these along with learning keyboard skills.

#1280069 - 10/03/09 04:05 PM Re: pedaling with great effort [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks Morodiene and John for your thoughtful posts. I think I'll have the student pedal each note of the C scale and explain the effect of lifting the dampers off the strings.

a fancy air by chance,
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
149 registered (Adypiano, ajames, ABC Vermonter, 45 invisible), 1835 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156094 Topics
2292162 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
fingering suggestions, please
by riley80
07/23/14 11:14 AM
Yamaha P105 for outdoors ???
by musicmad
07/23/14 11:10 AM
Godowsky, Poem No. 1, "Devotion"
by RachFan
07/23/14 11:09 AM
Help for Newbie
by PianoJill
07/23/14 10:18 AM
25 Vintage Steinways
by Rich D.
07/23/14 10:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission