2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 245 of 452 1 2 243 244 245 246 247 451 452
W
W
Question about playing "legato":

Isn't the normal style of play also "legato"? I don't have a teacher so I have to ask here..

How I usually play is pressing one finger down, then the moment the other finger comes down, lift that one up. (walking the fingers?) I suppose there is probably no overlap, but it sounds almost exactly like "legato". Is this the correct "normal" play style?

Maybe the problem is that I just don't hear the difference. I've been listening to some of the songs on the DVD (played on piano), and can't identify legato versus normal-style of play.

Also, I find playing legato really hard. I can do it when I play really slow, but not at a normal tempo. Both fingers need to fully press down the key for a split moment, right?

Last question, I'm playing "Love somebody" (song nr 20 in self teaching alfred).

Now, in the second measure you have a - b -c in the right hand, and harmonic intervals in the left hand. To change from one interval to the next, one must lift the fingers from the keys completely right? That works when I only play the left hand, but when I combine this with the right hand, it's really hard to "walk the fingers" in the right hand.

You have to lift the fingers off the left hand first, then change the fingers and press down. At the same time, you must walk the fingers AFTER first lifting the left hand fingers and then press them down simultaneously. find that hard to coordinate. Or am I doing something fundamentally wrong here? What happens if I don't think about it is that I play staccato in the right hand instead.

Thanks. Sorry if this is really dumb, not having a teacher and all smile

Last edited by wesley84; 06/11/12 06:19 AM.
Originally Posted by wesley84
Isn't the normal style of play also "legato"? I don't have a teacher so I have to ask here..

Legato means playing smoothly with no spaces between the notes. This is in contrast to staccato.

Watch the beginning of this video to see the difference:
Video lesson on legato v. staccato

I'm playing "Love somebody"
Now, in the second measure you have a - b -c in the right hand, and harmonic intervals in the left hand... it's really hard to "walk the fingers" in the right hand.

There is no legato arc over this part in the song, so you shouldn't need to walk your fingers like in legato. You can lift them off the keys a bit, but they probably shouldn't be a very short stab like in staccato either.

1978 Dittrich Acoustic Upright
Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
W
W
Thanks, would have been nice if that video also included the normal play style though, but perhaps that is just obvious to everyone but me wink

It's not really "walking the fingers", more like "marching the fingers". But that seems to be what the video describes as legato as well (see-saw). So you have to lift the fingers off a bit before pressing the next key in normal play? Wish there was some better video describing this all or a teacher in my neighborhood which doesn't charge an arm and a leg wink

This video should help answer your questions:
eHow - Piano Staccato & Legato Techniques

The teacher in the video talks about how there is a very slight overlap of the notes played in legato.

By the way, the first three slurs in Love Somebody are over notes which make up a G Major chord (G, B, and D), and therefore you can do quite a bit of overlapping between these notes and they still sound quite nice.

Then the teacher shows the difference between legato and playing normally where there is a slight lift off between the notes, and staccato where the duration of the note is very short.

Last edited by Johnny D; 06/12/12 09:16 AM.

Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Wish4 Thing
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Wish4 Thing, there are principles that cover sensible fingering.

I was hoping to get more hints from PianoStudent88 on this topic...:)

I've started a new thread on Fingering.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Originally Posted by wesley84
So you have to lift the fingers off a bit before pressing the next key in normal play?

I wouldn't stress too much on lifting each note before hitting the next or else your music might end up sounding too choppy. Just when you play normally, try to play so that your notes don't overlap.

As to legato, try to play it so that there is no space between the notes, that they are tied or slurred together.

Like you have found, there is a fine line between the two. There is very little difference between someone playing normally but smoothly and between someone playing legato style. Just pay attention not to overlap when you play normally.

Thank you, PianoStudent88, it's been bookmarked. smile

Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
Been working on Amazing Grace for the past few weeks. There's a lot on the plate in this piece: various triad chords, rolling chords, dynamics, pedaling, etc.

I'm trying at times to play it without looking at the keyboard for the most part, just looking at the book, though I usually fumble about the keyboard a bit.

Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
F
F
Originally Posted by Johnny D
.. I'm trying at times to play it without looking at the keyboard for the most part, just looking at the book, though I usually fumble about the keyboard a bit.

I am trying to do do the same, play full piece without looking to the keyboard, in "The Stranger". It takes a long time to me. I am playing some pieces from DeBenedeti site (level 1, yet).

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
fliper and Johnny D, have you been practicing from the beginning how to find your way by feel and not look at the keyboard, or are you just starting it now?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing

Thank you, PianoStudent88, it's been bookmarked. smile

Same here! Thanks, PianoStudent88! That's a PhD thesis! thumb

Faber Lesson Book 4/Beyer Op.101/Czerny Op. 599

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
fliper and Johnny D, have you been practicing from the beginning how to find your way by feel and not look at the keyboard, or are you just starting it now?

Usually when I play, I go back and forth from looking at the book to looking at the keyboard. Usually after a week or so, I will have learned a given piece in this book by memory, but it will still need work to get it to a decent level.

Sometimes I can play a piece with my eyes closed (maybe not some of these pieces at the end of the book) so when I say that now I am trying just to look at the book, it is more so that I work more on my sight-reading which I felt needed work.

With Amazing Grace, I am trying to look at each note and follow it in the sheet music as I play it. So, yes that is pretty much a new thing for me.

Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Johnny D, you might find it helpful as you work on your reading, to go back over the whole book and play everything reading the music, and not looking at the keys.

Good for you for working on this in Amazing Grace.

you might find it helpful as you work on your reading, to go back over the whole book and play everything reading the music, and not looking at the keys.

Thanks for the advice. This morning I went through some pieces in the beginning of the book doing what you said.

Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
P
P
Yes, I used this book to help me reboot my piano skills. I found it very useful and user friendly. My piano and my books are my teachers this time around.

Originally Posted by fliper
.. I'm trying at times to play it without looking at the keyboard for the most part, just looking at the book, though I usually fumble about the keyboard a bit.

I am trying to do do the same, play full piece without looking to the keyboard, in "The Stranger".

I'm the opposite... I played the whole book without looking at the keyboard except for Amazing Grace... At that point, I realized I paid so much attention to play as smoothly as I can but I might have missed watching my basic hand techniques...

My friend's 8 year old son starts a new piece with only a few measures everyday. Majority of the time, he works on his hand techniques, that is, he polishes every single hit of the key. As a result, once he can play the whole piece, his fingers naturally fall on keyboard beautifully! I love to watch him play once he had it together!

Originally Posted by fliper
I am playing some pieces from DeBenedeti site (level 1, yet).

Me too! looking forward to listening to your recordings!

Faber Lesson Book 4/Beyer Op.101/Czerny Op. 599

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
F
F

I am practicing it from the beginning. "The Stranger" has some jumps, not only one or two as previous pieces.

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Hi everybody! I've been using this book for 3 months and I'm now working on Scarborough Fair, and hitting my very first wall really hard. I'm almost there without the overlapping pedal but as soon as I add it I seem to lose control of my hands. The other songs would just "click" after a few tries (practicing hands separate for a while and then putting them together), but not this one. Any tips? Thanks!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
sinophilia, I can't remember if there are any preparatory exercises for overlapping pedal in Alfred's, but here are some things to try.

The basic principle is as your hands/fingers come DOWN to play a note, your foot is coming UP to clear the previous note, and then down again immediately to catch the new note.

Practice exercises:
1. Pedaling on next beat. Play a series of chords, e.g. diatonic chords in C major: C, Dm, Em, F, etc. Hold each for four beats. Play the first chord. Depress the pedal on beat 2. Play the second chord (this is beat 1 again). Raise and depress the pedal on beat 2. Continue up and down the scale with chords like this. Count out loud as you do this. On beat two, say "up down": One Up Down Three Four, One Up Down Three Four. Etc. Say this in rhythm.

2. Pedaling on next half-beat. Same exercises as above, except raise and depress the pedal a half-beat after you play the note: on the "and" of "1 and" as if counting eighth notes. Count out loud while you do this: One Up Down Two Three Four, One Up Down Three Four. (The "Up Down" will be very quick: like sixteenth notes.)

3. Overlapping pedalling. Same exercise as above, but raise the pedal as you play the new note, and then depress it immediately. Count out loud: Up Down Two Three Four, Up Down Two Three Four.

4. Practice Scarborough Fair really slowly. You can isolate the pedaling by playing a note or two before the pedal point, then play the pedalled note (raising and lowering the pedal), then a note or two after it. Repeat for one pedal point. Practice other pedal points this way. Then, continuing to play slowly, practice playing from a beat before one pedal point to a beat after the next pedal point: chaining two pedal points together.

In all of the above, you can start off playing without keeping time, but say "Up Down" out loud as you raise and depress the pedal. Then later add in playing it rhythmically.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Wow, thank you PianoStudent88! I will try all of that later today.

In this book the overlapping pedal comes up first with Greensleeves but it's not a problem there as it's all solid chords. I'm just afraid that if I spend hours on such easy things it will be too much of a struggle when I get to more challenging stuff... but then I guess it takes time to nail down the basics and it's important to get them right from the beginning.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
sinophilia, it's good to give each skill/technique/piece as much time as it needs to feel solid in it. Yes, some skills you will continue to improve at over time (maybe all skills! I'm just now starting to feel more sensitive about simply how I push down a key!), but it's good to have a reasonably solid base before layering on new things.

Alfred's doesn't necessarily indicate by how many pieces they give a skill, how much time that skill needs. For example, dotted quarter RH rhythm vs. the straight quarters LH in Blow The Man Down: Alfred's just throws that in in one piece, and then moves on. But in fact that's a skill that could use lots of preparatory exercises before even trying it in Blow The Man Down, and then practice in more pieces than just that one piece.

And of course some people need more time on some things, and less time on others.

Page 245 of 452 1 2 243 244 245 246 247 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission