2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Over the past couple of years, Robert Stickgold, a cognitive neruoscientist at Harvard Medical School, has teamed up with Mathew Walker of Boston's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center to investigate sleep's effects on procedural memory for motor skills.

They asked right-handed test subjects to type a sequence of numbers with their left hand as fast as they could. No matter what time of day they learned the task, their accuracy improved 60% to 70% after six minutes of practice. When subjects who learned the sequence in the morning were retested 12 hours later, they didn't significantly improve. But when those who learned the sequence in the evening were retested following a night's sleep, they were 15% to 20% faster and 30% to 40% more accurate.

New technology is leading to more insights. Research by Bruce McNaughton, a psychologist and physiologist at the University of Arizona in Tucson, has shown that many of the same neurons that fire during the daytime -- say, when a rat is learning to navigate a maze -- are reactivated during the REM stage of sleep. "Basically, the brain is reviewing its recently stored data," McNaughton says. Eventually the brain consolidates those patterns.

Perhaps that's what sleep really is: repeated cycles that aloow you to learn new tricks without forgetting old ones

* from TIME: Your Brain: A User's Guide 2009

also see:
http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/matters/benefits-of-sleep/learning-memory

I have found that doing slow, deliberate, accurate play- throughs of material I learned that day and the day before that , before retiring for the night, has done wonders for my speed of learning and ability to memorize.

This study would seem to scientifically support my anecdotal findings.

Tremendous implications for instructions to students on how and when to practice and added credence to the belief on how important sleep is to the learning process.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I tell all my students don't try and learn it now, that'll happen while you're asleep.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Do you tell them how important it is to learning to practice deliberately in the evening shortly before beddie bed time?

I believe that's a CC Chang thing - practice slowly and perfectly just before bedtime - hopefully my students get to bed early anyway. I'm not sure it raises the odds much - memories are more tied to emotion.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
The facts emerging from scientifically controlled experiments on procedural memory for motor skills would tend to disagree with your opinion. The time your students go to bed is irrelevant, the practicing before going to bed however can result in quicker learning, better proficiency and longer retention. Ignore the findings at your students' peril!

tJ you miss the point. The earlier they go to bed the closer it is to when they just practiced. I have kids who tell me they practice at about 8pm because of other commitments and are then in bed by 9pm.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Gotcha. Sounds good. Even better would be to have an early morning or noon practice to do the work and then an evening session to refine and revise the work.

Do you really believe though that procedural memory for motor skills is principally influenced by emotions? Do you have any cites that would back this up?

There's plenty to say that emotion chooses what and how we remember. I would think there are no exceptions. You only pay attention (i.e. remember) to what has emotional relevance for you. Even a motor skill would need a motivator. This man's very famous, he knows how the amygdala affects memory:
http://discovermagazine.com/brightcove?bcpid=370512060&bclid=533256427&bctid=1283221335

Last edited by keyboardklutz; 10/05/09 06:07 AM.
M
M
That is interesting, kbk. But I do wonder with relation to performance anxiety how that applies. Someone may have an emotional attachment to the piece their performing, but then they forget the piece because of the emotional reaction to performing for an audience. They are able to recall the piece afterward again, and their love of the piece hasn't changed, necessarily.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by theJourney
Gotcha. Sounds good. Even better would be to have an early morning or noon practice to do the work and then an evening session to refine and revise the work.

Even better would be naps.

We aren't designed to sleep the night through. Our insistence on doing so destroys our ability to take naps during the day, greatly limiting our performance.

gotta go practice
I missed mine today!

Originally Posted by Morodiene
That is interesting, kbk. But I do wonder with relation to performance anxiety how that applies. Someone may have an emotional attachment to the piece their performing, but then they forget the piece because of the emotional reaction to performing for an audience. They are able to recall the piece afterward again, and their love of the piece hasn't changed, necessarily.
I see where you're coming from. The amygdala will only help more specific learning - to help learners we need it to 'light up' a specific facet by getting them to emote over it. Yes, if a student fouls up the piece will change in their memory. It will have been brought out but put back a little the worse for wear.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney

I have found that doing slow, deliberate, accurate play- throughs of material I learned that day and the day before that , before retiring for the night, has done wonders for my speed of learning and ability to memorize.

This study would seem to scientifically support my anecdotal findings.

More anecdotal evidence:
I always practice late at night before going to sleep. But last night, I actually dreamed I was playing the piece I've been working on and trying to memorize. (First time this ever happened.) Woke up this morning and had to try it. Played it through without a problem! yippie

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission