Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1281226 - 10/05/09 01:36 PM Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor (Opus Post)
Fun Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
My 1st recording post. I just had my Estonia for one month and it is freshly tuned. Start learning this piece last week & still reading the score. Suggestions regarding my playing and the recording quality are welcomed. Thank you!

Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor (Opus Post)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1281258 - 10/05/09 02:16 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor (Opus Post) [Re: Fun]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Thank you for sharing your music

You have a very sensitive touch with this piece, and it sounds like you are connecting with the music and piano - most excellent!

Very good recording...what micrphone(s) and program, if any?

Glen

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1281793 - 10/06/09 01:47 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor (Opus Post) [Re: Inlanding]
Fun Offline

Thanks. Glen. I used the M-Audio Pulsar II matched pair and the Presonus Firebox connected to my MacBook Pro. I used Cubase LE to record & add reverb, Audacity to amplify and convert to MP3.

#1281918 - 10/06/09 06:06 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor (Opus Post) [Re: Fun]
adapa Offline

Youre off to a very good start!

Some things you need to improve:

1. The tempo. It should be a slow dreamy nocturne, but if you play it to slow you kill all the life in it. So go a little(!) bit faster and i promise you it will sound better

2. Rubato could be a bit more well placed. Now you're adding a small pause between all the notes in the main theme, but youre oddly metronomical in other sections, in particular the 4 against 3 parts, where you really need to loosen up your play. If you practice both hands separately for some more this will become natural and easy

Some things that i would do differently but im not sure that you want to alter your:

3: Dynamics. I would play with a greater variation in dynamics, as the challenge really lies in not to make the piece boring. Not exaggerating the pp and f, but let your listeners know the piece changes colour from time to time.

4: Rits, you do some slowing where you shouldnt. With your current tempo it sounds very wierd, but might work if you increase the tempo a tad.

That was my suggestions, just dont take what im saying for granted. Test it out and see if you like it, if not go with your own instincts.

Otherwise a nice recording, i hope you make some more smile

#1282147 - 10/07/09 02:16 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor (Opus Post) [Re: adapa]
Fun Offline

Adapa, thanks a lot for your excellent suggestions. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I will keep all your suggestions in mind when practicing. I also need to work on my trills. I tends to get tense during recording smile

I've given a lot of thoughts on the tempo for this piece, and listen to different performances. It appears the tempos are all over the place. Some perform this piece under 4 minutes, while my reference for this piece (by Artur Pizarro) perform it for 5:36. My tempo (5:30) is influenced by him, but perhaps I don't have the skills and maturity to perform at such a slow tempo without making the piece too boring. The playing of this piece in movie "The Pianist" is very nice, but seems a bit too fast for my taste.

I tried speed things up a bit (to more of Andante rather than the designated Lento). The piece seems to be easier to play, but then I tend to play faster & faster. Need to be calm and in control.

Thanks again! Hope to see you more here! I'll make more recordings for archiving purposes. I think it's also very beneficial for me to listen to my playing because I can hear many imperfections that I somehow didn't notice when I was playing.

What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (ando, accordeur, AndresD, Alex-SapRenovation, 41 invisible), 1840 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75574 Members
42 Forums
156258 Topics
2294801 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Looking for my next piece
by Mallory
13 minutes 38 seconds ago
A pianist joke
by PaperClip
56 minutes 43 seconds ago
Synthogy Ivory II Yamaha C7 Studio Grand 5 bad sound
by pake10
Today at 01:47 PM
USB hub recommendations?
by dire tonic
Today at 01:22 PM
Piano Around The World
by karmanathan
Today at 11:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission