2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Affect with an a means "to influence," as in "The rain affected Amy's hairdo."

Effect has a lot of subtle meanings as a noun, but the meaning "a result" seems to be at the core of all the definitions. For example, you can say, "The effect was eye-popping," or "The sound effects were amazing," or "The rain had no effect on Amy's hairdo."

V
V
Originally Posted by Jazz+
Affect with an a means "to influence," as in "The rain affected Amy's hairdo."

Effect has a lot of subtle meanings as a noun, but the meaning "a result" seems to be at the core of all the definitions. For example, you can say, "The effect was eye-popping," or "The sound effects were amazing," or "The rain had no effect on Amy's hairdo."

What they don't realize is that the word "EFFECTS", is indicative in ELECTRONIC music, or any ELECTRONIC RECORDING and PLAYBACK of even purely acoustical music, of a wide range of AFFECTS.

EFFECTS can be a blanket generalization referring to any one of the innumerable ways a sound wave can be compressed, enhanced, or altered, from equalization, which directly determines and AFFECTS the TONE to echos and reverberations.

An example of this is an EWI, here played by the incredible Michael Brecker, IMO only equaled technically on sax by the master technician Phil Woods:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOEF7f2HGoE

Through the use of effects, not AFECTING the tone himself, has an 8+ octave range, and can play contrapuntally.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

V
V
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Gollum says...

[Linked Image]

We be nice to you if you be nice to us.

V
V
Originally Posted by eweiss
Gollum says...

[Linked Image]

We be nice to you if you be nice to us.

First, you'd have to explain to me what's offensive with my post that generated his and your attack:

What they don't realize is that the word "EFFECTS", is indicative in ELECTRONIC music, or any ELECTRONIC RECORDING and PLAYBACK of even purely acoustical music, of a wide range of AFFECTS.

EFFECTS can be a blanket generalization referring to any one of the innumerable ways a sound wave can be compressed, enhanced, or altered, from equalization, which directly determines and AFFECTS the TONE to echos and reverberations.

An example of this is an EWI, here played by the incredible Michael Brecker, IMO only equaled technically on sax by the master technician Phil Woods:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOEF7f2HGoE

Through the use of effects, not AFECTING the tone himself, has an 8+ octave range, and can play contrapuntally.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
What attack dude? That was my first (and now last post) on this extremely stupid thread.

V
V
Originally Posted by eweiss
What attack dude? That was my first (and now last post) on this extremely stupid thread.

It's not an attack. I'm just being as "sensitive" as others that read offensive threats into stating pure fact.
Also, what's stupid about it?

The only thing I find humorous (what others may call stupid) is the belief that once the escapement removes the hammers from contact with the strings, that a pianist can still exert some type of mystical force on them with after-touch histrionics that will magically allow the skilled pianist to somehow alter the timbral spectrum of the instrument (tone).

I do understand that there are those that wish to believe it is possible. Those that have faith that it is possible, although the concept flies contrary to every known law of acoustical science and the construcion principles of piano actions.

Merely mentioning my opinion on the subject and explaining why my belief is that the tone is inherent in the piano and not the pianist is no reason to take it as a personal attack, anymore than Galileo pointing out to the medieval church that the Earth revolves around the sun, instead of the other way around.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V1, I think they don't like being pawned by common sense.

V
V
Originally Posted by Jazz+
V1, I think they don't like being pawned by common sense.

In some ways, I wish I had their child-like type of faith to believe in miracles like Chris Angel being able to defy gravity, the sun remaining motionless in the sky until battles are won, Doug Henning being able to make elephants disappear, Santa visiting billions of children in one night, and pianists able to control the precise manner in which hammer shafts bend to alter tone.
I wonder when they watch Chris Angel how many realize that if someone could truly defy gravity, that the Earth and everything on it that wasn't defying gravity would spin by him at 700 mph orbitally, and about 66,000 mph eliptically/heliacally, likely forcing him right through or plastering him into the Earth dependent upon which hemisphere he was formerly standing on.

Knowledge, science, and logic are not the cup of tea for those that have that type of faith.

Perhaps they were just "fooled" by this video. smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muCPjK4nGY4&feature=popular

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thread closed. Too many personal attacks and silliness.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission