2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
P
How about this? We won't claim that everyone thinks they're bright, but you won't claim that everyone thinks they're not. Don't forget, you were reporting at second hand, too, and claiming that you had never, ever heard (or read) a single person say the CLP340 was bright. You weren't just giving your own opinion. Well, now you have heard it.

My question: I've only played Clavinovas, but we've considered trying to find the P155. Of course, I'd expect the Clavinova to sound (and feel) better -- especially through the speakers -- but is the sound really that different? Are they sampled from different pianos? Just curious.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by pilgrimjoel
My question: I've only played Clavinovas, but we've considered trying to find the P155. Of course, I'd expect the Clavinova to sound (and feel) better -- especially through the speakers -- but is the sound really that different? Are they sampled from different pianos? Just curious.

Consider that even if they were sampled from the exact same piano (or indeed, use the exact same samples) that other design factors in the pianos (amps, speakers, speaker location, cabinet design, other acoustic processing (e.g. reverb)) could have a significant effect on the sound.

What's funny is that while I too personally generally find Yamaha acoustics to be "brighter" than others, that their Clavinovas don't elicit the same feeling (i.e. if you were to ask me if Clavinovas are "bright", I'd likely respond with "hmmm, I'm not sure"). And like Marty, I don't hear it being chanted as a mantra anywhere nearly as much as with their acoustics.

U
U
Originally Posted by pilgrimjoel
...My question: I've only played Clavinovas, but we've considered trying to find the P155. Of course, I'd expect the Clavinova to sound (and feel) better -- especially through the speakers -- but is the sound really that different? Are they sampled from different pianos? Just curious.

I'm definitely no expert - but I just hooked up my P155 to a 60W dual speaker setup, and I've been having some fun experimenting with speaker placement, how much/little of the P155's onboard sound speakers are used, the tone parameter (bright to mellow), etc. etc.. I can say this - the difference between the built-in speakers alone on the P155 compared to using some decent external speakers is absolutely night and day.

I'm currently trying to create a fairly homogeneous "cloud" of clear, well-defined sound from the speakers in the area behind and slightly above the keyboard (since I don't think I want to hear a stereo separation effect from speaker A and speaker B - that seems unnatural?), and it sounds great. For now, I like the tone somewhere in the Normal-Mellow to Mellow range, leaning towards Mellow. Can't decide if Hard or Medium "action" setting is best for me yet - it's at Medium now. I can see how the P155 could be described as "bright" - but in my case there are so many variables at work in this setup. One thing seems clear to me - you get a lot for the money with the P155 if you can do without the fancier cabinetry, some of the voices, and the slightly-nicer keyboard action.

Anyways, I hope I didn't digress too much from this thread. Cheers!

Yamaha P-525
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission