Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1281528 - 10/06/09 01:52 AM Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar?
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have not yet participated in either, but as a thought, would it be useful if there was a way for participants to post their recordings and have others give them some objective evaluations? I don't know the best way to do this technically, but the idea is that you listen to a recording, then rate from 1-5 on technique, musicality, Difficulty Level, etc., and it must be done in a quick and simple way.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1281530 - 10/06/09 02:07 AM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: MiM]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
There used to be a "critical discussions" thread along with the general discussion thread for recitals, but very very few people used it. It was set up for critiques/evaluations of pieces if submitters had checked a box that said they wanted that. For whatever reason, there wasn't much response of that kind.

You could ask specifically in the piano bar. My suspicion is that most of us don't have time, even if we have the expertise, to do much of that. I might occasionally note that I would prefer a different tempo, or that I notice a rhythm seems off, or whatever, but not much more than that, and that kind of feedback does get posted in both the bar and the recitals - things like "the accompaniment could be less imposing" or something.

I'm not sure how much use a numbering system would be. If someone gave me a 5 (fat chance laugh ) for "technique" - well, I don't know what that would mean - there are so many aspects of technique. Would they mean they thought my phrasing was good? or that my LH jumps were well-accented? or that my pedaling was appropriate?

But there are indeed posters here who would like the kind of feedback that I *think* you want. I just think that it's really time-consuming if nothing else, and therefore difficult to get from this kind of setting.

But other people may have some ideas for a way to do it for those of you who want it.

Cathy

#1281608 - 10/06/09 07:46 AM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: MiM]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Music_in_Me
I have not yet participated in either, but as a thought, would it be useful if there was a way for participants to post their recordings and have others give them some objective evaluations?

That's already hapening - and has been in both venues for quite some time now - more informally in the Bars than the Recitals - but still in both, and very nicely thank you - how "objective" they are is anyone's guess and highly variable, but they are, and have been,generally helpful in terms of their most important asset, which is the encouragement they offer.

I don't know the best way to do this technically, but the idea is that you listen to a recording, then rate from 1-5 on technique, musicality, Difficulty Level, etc., and it must be done in a quick and simple way.

They're already being done in as quick and simple a way as most of those offering them prefer- a rating scale for specific aspects of performance would be far to complicated and subjective, and ultimately unhelpful - not to mention time consuming.

I generally agree with Jotur's good points on this also.

And perhaps after you've participated in both for awhile (which you are heartily encouraged to do!) you might want to reconsider your proposal

JF

Edited by John Frank (10/06/09 07:51 AM)

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1281616 - 10/06/09 08:13 AM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: TrapperJohn]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

No this is not meant to replace the good feedback that we see sometimes there, rather I think this will invite more feedback from those who do not want to go through the *time consuming* task of writing on each recording they hear. Some might prefer (count me in) after listening to a piece to simply click in a few places to express his/her opinion. In addition, one is free to give more critque by writing a few words.

I think it also makes for good and "more objective" feedback, which is really what beginners want to know. I like a pat on the back too, but I still would find it useful to hear and know about the good and the bad.

#1281630 - 10/06/09 09:07 AM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: MiM]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I'm against any anonymous rating system because of the potential for abuse. There are always personality conflicts in any online forum. Having the ability to rate a performance anonymously can lead to rating wars and retributions over perceived slights. I would like to think that wouldn't happen in the PW forums, but it has at a writing forum that I belong to. It keeps people on their best behavior to have a username associated with all performance critiques.

Sam
Every ABF recital since #13 Feb '09!
ABF Recital Index
My Recital Performances

#1281636 - 10/06/09 09:17 AM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: Sam S]
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
IMHO, The quarterly recitals and monthly bars are not the proper venue for such ratings.
And I think that would definitely deter would-be-first-time submitters who are having reservations about submitting.

In the past, the forums themselves had a 5 star rating system for individual posts.
Perhaps Mr. S-H could elaborate a bit on its (in)effectiveness?

#1281649 - 10/06/09 09:33 AM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: Sam S]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Music_In_Me, I think this is something to think about, but based on previous experiences on PW, I don't think it will work.

We previously had user and thread ratings. Frank paid to have them added to Piano World. They were abused and there were a lot of complaints and Frank subsequently paid to have them removed.

Sorry, but I cannot see an anonymous rating system for the recitals or piano bars working any better than the previous rating systems we had. I also can't see Frank investing any time or money into providing this type of feature.

Rich

#1281654 - 10/06/09 09:44 AM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: MiM]
Larry B Offline

Loc: Boston
I have not yet participated in either, but as a thought, would it be useful if there was a way for participants to post their recordings and have others give them some objective evaluations?

OK...so I have yet to post a recording to the Piano Bars or the Recitals...but I plan, to -- really!

But still, though I have no standing as a past contributor, I do think the problem with a rating system would be the question of "as compared to what?"

We all get a sense when we listen of the various levels of experience and skills among the members, from those with six months at the keyboard to those who've been playing for many years. But what's important here isn't to compare pianists to each other (which is what a rating system would inherently do, even if that were not it stated purposes), but for individuals to each be on their own path of improvement (or if not improvement, then enjoyment!).

My best might very well stink compared to someone else's performance, but still be a vast improvement for me and a positive milestone. Having my flawed positive milestone assessed numerically wouldn't encourage me to post it.

That said, I do love constructive feedback, which I have seen asked for and given especially in the Members Recordings forum. I've learned a lot from that.

#1281657 - 10/06/09 09:47 AM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: MiM]
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
In addition, one is free to give more critque by writing a few words.

I think it also makes for good and "more objective" feedback, which is really what beginners want to know. I like a pat on the back too, but I still would find it useful to hear and know about the good and the bad.

Music_in_Me,

I agree with the others and feel that a rating system as you suggest would not be a good idea here. What you are looking for is feedback that a piano teacher would give to you. I will assume that you are self taught. if there are no teachers in your area, you can find a teacher on the internet who might be willing to help you.

BTW - I did listen to your latest post in your Alfred Level 2 book. Sounds good to me! thumb

Barb

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com

#1281661 - 10/06/09 09:52 AM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: DragonPianoPlayer]
Less Rubato Offline

Loc: Washington state via OH-IO
I used to do a good deal of sports writing and the site had an anonymous feedback feature. It was a simple thumbs up or thumbs down. People hated it because it brought out the trolls in droves. There were a good deal of people that would be so offended by a simple thumbs down that they'd stop writing and leave. And keep in mind that we're talking about a sports site predominately made up of men--you'd think the skin would be thicker.

I think piano is more personal. I also think members do a great job with gentle, positive feedback the way things are arranged now.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Less Rubato (10/06/09 10:01 AM)

#1281668 - 10/06/09 10:05 AM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: Less Rubato]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Music in Me, I think there are ways to accomplish what you want without changing the piano bars or recitals, which as you can see have a fiercely loyal following who think they work just fine the way they are right now (myself included). wink

It sounds like you would like some detailed, objective critique of your performance and technique. The best way to accomplish that would be to post your recording on the teacher's forum or pianist's corner, and tell people exactly what you are looking for: constructive, specific feedback on ways to improve your playing. I have seen many threads in the pianist corner where people deliver exactly that, pulling no punches. Me, I don't have the stomach for that. laugh

Alternatively, you can post in the teacher's forum. I understand Betty Patnude has promised to be completely honest and detailed in giving feedback to others. wink

Finally, I do encourage you to participate in the recitals. People are supportive and nice, but lots of good, constructive criticism is offered there, too.

#1281669 - 10/06/09 10:06 AM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: Monica K.]
Monica K. Offline

p.s. I'm a firm believer that anonymous feedback is worthless. If you aren't willing to stand behind what you say in a public venue, you shouldn't say it. smokin

#1281713 - 10/06/09 11:24 AM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: Monica K.]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
A recital is not an examination or a piano jury. It's a celebration and each piece is a gift of someone's personal best and should be received and respected as such. Do you rate gifts? Not if you hope to get many more.

#1281742 - 10/06/09 12:19 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: Less Rubato]
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I've a thought about the recitals. I love them and love to participate and love to give and receive comments but I find that 60+ submissions difficult to get through in a reasonable amount of time. Would it be a good idea to have a recital every other month with a limit? and have people sign up for either the first or the second only? In other words, each member would participate only every 4 months but we would have a recital every second? and the recitals would be more like 30 submissions? just a thought.....

#1281752 - 10/06/09 12:41 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: SAnnM AB-2001]
Monica K. Offline

We've batted that around a bit, Sandy, with no entirely satisfactory resolution. I think the main sentiment, or at least the one that I would agree with, is that it is best to encourage participation and thus not limit who participates (other than the sensible restriction of only one submission per PW member).

We seem to have reached a plateau in number of participants for the recitals (right around 60-65), so it doesn't seem as though they will be continually expanding to unmanageable levels.

I would hope that people don't feel obligated to respond to all submissions individually. Some people do (and that's terrific!), but we all understand that people have other lives outside PW and may not have time to comment individually. I know there have been some recitals that I have not been able to do so. There have also been times when I respond to people in categories, e.g., I know next to nothing about Bach and/or how to play it, so I may toss out a generic "Good job to all you Bach people! Boy, that's a heck of a lot of notes y'all are playing there!" laugh

Commenting on the recitals, or even participating in them to begin with, should never feel like a burden. But the options are there for those who want to do either or both.

#1281763 - 10/06/09 12:52 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: SAnnM AB-2001]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Larry B. - good notes on the varying levels of experience here in the ABF. That, too, makes it more difficult to have a single rating system.

Music in Me - if you are posting in the Alfred's threads now, as Barb suggests, you could specifically ask the people there to give you more "critique" kinds of feedback, or ask the teachers who post there sometimes to do so. It seems to me that the study group threads - like the Alfred's, or the Autumn Leaves thread, or some of the other specific pieces, are an appropriate venue for that kind of discussion. The AL thread certainly does it for those participants.

Sandy - Yeah, I think commenting on all 60+ pieces is often difficult. We've had some discussion about this before, and it seems to me that when I first started participating in the recitals it wasn't as big a deal as it is now. I find that sometimes it gets in the way of the actual "discussion" about the recital, or back and forth about specific pieces. For me, I think we just need to be really, really, clear that no one has to do that - that it's not some kind of bar everyone has to reach, and no apologies are necessary for not doing so. I do value the people who don't post their pieces just to get comments and never bother with commenting on others, both in the recitals and in the piano bars, but I think over time that kind of takes care of itself. I wouldn't be at all offended if only the people who like my particular kind of music responded to my piece, and then only if they have time. I think enough of us, on any given recital or bar, make an effort to comment on at least some people who are new, that we could mostly avoid anyone getting completely over-looked. But I think it's unfortunate that not commenting on every single piece is sometimes seen as something one has to apologize for. Perhaps a subject for another thread just before the Nov recital.

Cathy

#1281764 - 10/06/09 12:54 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: Monica K.]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I would hate to see any kind of rating system on the recital or bar. For one thing we have a huge range of talent, from rank beginner to very experienced ("beginner" is a misnomer when it comes to the recital or bar) so how would you go about ranking? And personally I think it would spoil the general good vibe we have on the forum. As far as "critical feedback" goes... sometimes you get it on the recital and bar, mostly you do not. If you really want critical feedback post your piece on the "members recordings" and ask for it.

#1281767 - 10/06/09 01:02 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: Monica K.]
tatiana110 Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
I am often conflicted about the feedback:

At times, I REALLY need criticism, as I simply 'do not get' that I am doing something wrong (yes, I am self-teaching, so this is likely why ... )

At times, just posting a video of my performance on YouTube helps me a lot to critically access my work. YouTube 'rating' feature also helps to 'bring me back to the Earth' for some of my performances that I thought were OK, but getting an anonymous rating '2' out of 5 make me to re-visit and improve.

I do feel embarrassed when I have my videos with bad ratings hanging around on YouTube wink

At times, I get inspirations from people making positive comments (as I start wondering why they'd like it), and this also helps me to revisit a piece and improve.

It is the progress and improvement that counts (for me), not how my technique is compared to the best pianists of the century, because I know I will never be there smile

So what's the conclusion?

I think it is the best to get objective feedback on your performance from a good teacher!

Just my $0.02

Estonia L190 (2011)
My recordings on YouTube

#1281796 - 10/06/09 01:51 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: jotur]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: jotur
For me, I think we just need to be really, really, clear that no one has to do that - that it's not some kind of bar everyone has to reach, and no apologies are necessary for not doing so. I do value the people who don't post their pieces just to get comments and never bother with commenting on others, both in the recitals and in the piano bars, but I think over time that kind of takes care of itself. I wouldn't be at all offended if only the people who like my particular kind of music responded to my piece, and then only if they have time.

Cathy

I'm really glad you said that. For the last recital, I submitted something, and was totally up for listening to lots of recordings and commenting.

Then I buried myself in a little hole and did jazz, and nothing but that for a while. So by the time the recital was open, I was off on another planet. Felt a bit bad about it. But there you go. The world managed without me! smile

Would also like to agree I don't want to give or receive feedback in the form of a number. I'm happy for all comments, and we are pretty kind here, really. And it would be inappropriate to 'judge' a real beginner along the same scale as someone who has had lessons for 10 years.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1281799 - 10/06/09 01:56 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: Monica K.]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
p.s. I'm a firm believer that anonymous feedback is worthless. If you aren't willing to stand behind what you say in a public venue, you shouldn't say it. smokin

And if you do stand behind what you've said, have your apology prepared ahead of time, and brace yourself for the verbal onslaught laugh

To quote Cheech (or was it Chong?): "We don't need no stinkin' anonymous rating system."

After all, this isn't a sport where the judges hold up number cards like in olympic figure skating or springboard diving or construction workers evaluating the passing members of the female persuation or something grin

JF

#1281835 - 10/06/09 02:56 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: TrapperJohn]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Carmel, Indiana
Some thoughts:

I like the piano bar just the way it is. Right now there is a very supportive and encouraging atmosphere and there is a high level of participation.

I am opposed to anonymous feedback of any kind. When I get feedback on my songs, it's helpful to know who is posting so I have some idea where their opinion is coming from and how knowledgeable they are about music. I like to know how my music affects different people in different ways.

Most of us, including me, are not qualified to give informed technical input. In the piano bar, the feedback is usually about how the songs personally affected the listeners. I'm comfortable giving that kind of feedback. If I were to get more detailed input about my playing or composing, I would want it to be from someone who is qualified. I seek out feedback from lots of people outside the forum. It's all helpful, but I respond to it differently based on whether the person is a knowledgeable musician or not.

Anonymous feedback opens the door for abusive input and back and forth sniping like what goes on in response to YouTube videos.

I don't mind negative input; once my tuner/tech listened to one of my recordings and said "that sounds like crap". It was actually very helpful to me because he knows a lot about acoustics, and the mechanics of sound, so what he said caused me to do a lot of research about mic placement and things like that.
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano

#1281865 - 10/06/09 04:04 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: Larry Larson]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Alright, so I think it's fair to say everyone likes the idea of some kind of a rating system...glad we settled that one rather quickly grin

Seriously, I'm sure you guys and gals are wiser than me on this one, as you may have had some experience with this kind of feedback. I really don't know how I (or anyone else for that matter) would actually take it if I start receiving "bad" feedback for an extended period, god forbid! Soon I should be joining the bar and the recital and would love to have your feedback.

#1281907 - 10/06/09 05:42 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: MiM]
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
There is no way one could get any helpful information from your idea of judging each performer and rating them 1-5.

In one of the past Recitals, we had someone decide to rate each performer.

It was pretty ugly.

And I won't even comment on the infamous 'thread ratings' debacle.

But you are completely missing the point of what a Recital is about.

It's not to compare yourself to others, nor is it to judge their performances and rate them.

The purpose of the ABF Recitals is to join with others and feel part of the group, and to share your love through your music.

Looking forward to hearing your piece at the next World Famous ABF Recital, Nov. 15, 2009.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1281920 - 10/06/09 06:08 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: dannylux]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

May be I shouldn't have called it a rating system because I do not really mean to have a competition system in which the rating indicates the winner. More free feedback is what I'm suggesting I guess. The idea is that when one records something and posts it to the forum, he can see a more "honest (?), more free (?), more detailed (?)" opinion through the grading system. When someone in the recital says good job, well done, beautiful, etc., that's really nice and I like to hear it and I highly regard those who take the time to give their words of encouragement, but I suspect there are many people (or may be a few like me) who would also like to hear a different feedback.

ok, here is another great idea crazy, how about anonymous recordings? The thread owner collects the recordings without the artist's name on them, and everyone gets to give their opinion on it? I admit, everyone (except me) thinks the current system is just perfect with no need for further improvement, but I'll try any way smirk .

#1281929 - 10/06/09 06:27 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: MiM]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine

ok, here is another great idea crazy, how about anonymous recordings? The thread owner collects the recordings without the artist's name on them, and everyone gets to give their opinion on it? I admit, everyone (except me) thinks the current system is just perfect with no need for further improvement, but I'll try any way smirk .

I don't think that's a bad idea. It could be fun as a separate "recital".

#1281933 - 10/06/09 06:34 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: MiM]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

I know you really would like feed back that isn't just "how nice." Do you really have a sense that a numbering system would provide that feed back? Because I just have no idea how it could, given all the issues we've talked about here - from the wide variety of experience levels to the wide variety of detail that the word "technique" would encompass.

I think, I may be wrong, that you think there isn't more of the "you have splashy octaves" (one of my favorite comments on my first recital piece) kind of critique is because people are just being too nice. But I don't actually think that's the reason, or at least not the main one. I think there's a lot of reasons, one being the time I referred to earlier. Another is, as several have said, a lack of expertise. For any classical past the level of Anna's notebook I simply don't have a detailed opinion - I don't know the literature much past just being familiar with a piece, and for sure don't know enough to comment on whether someone's trill is in the right place laugh For the kinds of music I'm more familiar with - well, as I said, I will sometimes prefer a different tempo, or parts of a piece will be rushed, or I might even think the accents are not quite in the right place, or the dynamics could use some work. But I can't tell, from listening, much beyond that kind of feedback - I can't tell that it would be a richer piece if only the player used 13th chords or something. And I suspect many of us are like that in whatever genre we play.

I think Monica, who suggested posting in the pianists corner, or Peyton, who suggested posting in member recordings, are probably pretty right on about where you might get the kind of in depth critique you, and actually more than just you, would like to have in order to have specific things to work toward. You could try posting a piece here and asking specifically for critiques, but I think for the above reasons there won't be a lot. But I could be wrong. You could start a thread devoted just to people who want to post for those kinds of critiques and see what happens - those who want to receive and give that would know the thread is there, just as people go looking for other study threads. It certainly can't hurt to try.

But if you're actually looking for a rating of how good you are or aren't - it's not likely to happen in the ABF laugh But there's some in the pianists corner who won't, as Monica says, pull any punches. There's the place to post if that's what you're really looking for laugh

Cathy

#1281936 - 10/06/09 06:39 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: jotur]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Also, think about this: can you give the kind of feedback you're looking for, if you are looking for "ways to improve" feedback, to others? To what level, and in what genre? Could you, for instance, give me some critique on how to make an old standard "swing" more? Could you give some feedback on some of the Chopin pieces people here play? Would it mean much if you used a numerical system and gave me a "4" on musicality when I played an Irving Berlin piece if you don't know that genre at all?

In some ways what we all want to do is play tennis with people who are better than us so that we can get better laugh But it's a 2-way street, too smile

Cathy

#1281971 - 10/06/09 08:25 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: MiM]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

... When someone in the recital says good job, well done, beautiful, etc., that's really nice and I like to hear it and I highly regard those who take the time to give their words of encouragement, but I suspect there are many people (or may be a few like me) who would also like to hear a different feedback.

Well, it is almost guaranteed that - given your dogged persistence here with a series of proposals that have met with resounding disapproval and which have been rejected by the vast majority in spite of that persistence - that when you finally do get around to submitting a piece or two to the Bars and the Recital that you may just hear exactly what you want: a different feedback other than "good job, well done and beautiful" wink laugh

JF

#1281982 - 10/06/09 08:44 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: TrapperJohn]
Monica K. Offline

Music in Me, what I think you need to do is state quite explicitly, when you submit something to the piano bar, that you are ALSO requesting concrete and specific comments/suggestions on your technique. I guarantee that will elicit the kind of feedback you are looking for. I know that I do not offer specific, concrete suggestions unless the person has explicitly asked for such feedback.

#1282084 - 10/06/09 11:30 PM Re: Anonymous voting for Recitals and Piano Bar? [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
If somehow another rating system comes about I'm gonna lose it all over again. That means DOUBLE trouble is comin and nobody wants that!

The *anonymous* performance and critique suggestion is great however. Someone could possibly send their performance to a neutral party to post like Monicas recital submission thread so we would'nt know who posted it. We then could all listen to the piece and give our HONEST feedback...(good or bad). The performer could then at a later date disclose his/her identity...(or not). Their choice.

That could be fun as we need to do something new and different once in a while.

A possible suggestion could be an ongoing *ABF critical discussion* thread. Members submit a tune and see what people think. You then either take credit for the performance or sneek away under the cover of darkness without anyone ever knowing if you want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
115 registered (ando, Almaviva, accordeur, 28 invisible), 1523 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153537 Topics
2250025 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
33 minutes 52 seconds ago
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
44 minutes 0 seconds ago
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Today at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Today at 10:07 PM
Went to the store and tried out lots of DPs
by lang15
Today at 09:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission