Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1272513 - 09/22/09 07:21 AM Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Do both share the same action design ?

Edited by Cashley (09/22/09 09:54 AM)

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1272540 - 09/22/09 08:37 AM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: Cashley]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Not at the same time.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1272587 - 09/22/09 10:09 AM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Scooters Offline

Loc: N.E. Montana

whome ha

Good one... but seriously, I'm sure someone knows.

Scott
Associate Member Piano Technicians Guild
RsgPianoService
We love to play BF2

#1272606 - 09/22/09 10:33 AM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: Scooters]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada
Both use Renner I believe.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1272641 - 09/22/09 11:24 AM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Inlanding Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
A friend's 1998 Steinway L has Steinway action parts and hammers, (Labeled as such) but that was then.

I rebuilt the action in my 1917 O with complete Steinway action and hammers as well. The expert Steinway tech who voiced and regulated it suggested I avoid using Renner in that piano.

I am quite pleased with the result. It is as responsive and dynamic as any concert grand I've ever played.

Glen

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1272691 - 09/22/09 12:34 PM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Steinway uses Renner ? Then Steinway is not Steinway anymore.

#1272727 - 09/22/09 01:24 PM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Silverwood Pianos

Both use Renner I believe.

Not the New York pianos...and I've heard that Hamburg will be using New York actions in the near future. Or at least NY parts...just something I've heard, so take it FWIW.

@Cashley — The Renner parts used by Hamburg now have exactly the same dimensions as the NY parts. The only major difference I know of is that the action doesn't have the "accelerated" half-round balance rail. I'm sure Peter Sumner will chime in...

Edited by Horowitzian (09/22/09 01:27 PM)

#1272805 - 09/22/09 03:17 PM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: Horowitzian]
TestBlow Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
NY Steinway manufactures their own action parts in-house. They also have the capability to manufacture the german style shanks on their machines as well. I think that the Hamburg Steinway parts are made by Renner to Steinway's specs at the moment.

There are some slight differences in design between the two types, but these are small, like how the keyblocks hold down the keyframe. I don't have any experience with Hamburg Steinway though, so I'm not sure of any exact differences - just what's in the service manual

#1272979 - 09/22/09 07:24 PM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: TestBlow]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Steinway seems to be on a multi-year quest to attempt to standardize the two factories products. NY dropped the L and went back to the O. NY revived the A. Hamburg pianos will soon, if not already, have NY action parts. There was a thread about rim construction awhile back. NY rims have always been laminations of maple. Hamburg rims have always been either beech or birch laminations. Don't know if that is changing. Two factories source their soundboard spruce from different local regions. That may change also.

#1273190 - 09/23/09 03:29 AM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: Marty Flinn]
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
Hamburg Steinway action parts at present(Renner) are different dimensionally than the NY made parts for the NY Steinway. There was a time as in the Pre 1984 Steinway parts whereas Renner was making the action parts for the NY Steinway for Steinway. They(Renner) didn't actually tool up and make the exact copy of the NY parts. They just modified the Hamburg parts in trying to make them compatible with the NY Steinway.They changed the wippen flange and ? in attempting to make this (modified wippen) part work. They also put the 16mm NY shank on to the Hamburg flange.
Hambug shank/flange was 17mm. New York is 16mm.
To make a long story short,they don't work resulting in a very high ratio action. What gets me is,Steinway still sells them and people continue to buy them. I did my research and concluded such. I don't get it.

Now Renner USA is again different than NY Steinway,Hamburg (Renner)Steinway though they work fine in a NY or Hamburg Steinway action specs. smile
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#1273218 - 09/23/09 04:53 AM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: pianobroker]
Cashley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Is it true that Renner manufactured the action parts on Steinway specs, so much so that it's still a Steinway "design" and not Renner ?

#1273222 - 09/23/09 05:20 AM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: Cashley]
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
Presently Renner manufactures the action parts for the Hamburg pianos according to the designated specs of a Hamburg Steinway.
Again Renner USA Steinway parts are different than Renner made parts manufactured for the Hamburg Steinway.
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#1273364 - 09/23/09 10:51 AM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: pianobroker]
Peter Sumner- Piano Technician Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
I suggest that all enquiries regarding the specs of Steinway piano actions of any era...either NY or Hamburg be directed to those who actually know the answer...The Steinway factory in New York....or Hamburg if you are in Europe and your German is good enough.
There are those in these pages who have demonstrated that they are not fans of Steinway and Sons instruments, action designs and ethos....and use the developments taking place at both factories, on an on-going basis, to highlight 'faults' or 'failures', rather than as developments to improve the instruments in everyones interest.
I will not attribute a motive to those who dirty the water....

Just go to the source...it's that simple.

#1273759 - 09/23/09 09:11 PM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: Peter Sumner- Piano Technician]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Peter,
I agree with your concern and your sentiment on this. Unfortunately, often the factory is reluctant to tell the whole truth on various topics. On others factories claim propriatory secrecy. Often it is only through exchanges as this that the truth comes out from a variety of sources.
I feel your concern that there are some on the forum who have other agendas from the truth.

#1273830 - 09/23/09 11:18 PM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: Marty Flinn]
Peter Sumner- Piano Technician Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Marty...thanks for the observations....

What about this??
Perhaps the factory errs on the side of caution because they have no clue as to the abilities of the enquirer....
A bit like calling up Ferrari and asking for the gap distance of the spark plugs...
"Oh, and while I'm on the phone...what kind of spark plugs do you use"...
"Oh, yes, I see...."
"And how, exactly, do you put them in"?

There are so many wannabe technicians out there...all with the idea that you just strap the stuff on and off you go...
NO NO NO...
You need to know what you are doing......
When folks don't know what they're doing you get New York pianos with German parts...
Like any good cook, they should just follow the recipe....but then you have to be a good cook....
Maybe cooking would be a more suitable occupation for many in these pages, don't you think?

#1274065 - 09/24/09 10:59 AM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: Peter Sumner- Piano Technician]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
To the cursory observer, the Hamburg arm is rounded. Nothing earth-shattering there.

I do not know the present status of the Hamburg Steinway. As Peter suggests, contact the manufacturer. Some data is proprietary, however.

Historically, in my view, it was the superior instrument. Very European in timbre. (If that's your cup of tea.)

Recently played a masterfully re-manufactured Hamburg. Only one word to describe it: Outstanding.

I hope that Steinway does not Americanize the Hamburg. What a loss that will be. Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with the NY instrument. It is, however, nice to have a different choice among fine grands on both sides of the Atlantic.

Piano Technicæ Blog

#1274440 - 09/24/09 07:30 PM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: bkw58]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Good point; I don't see why there is any need to Americanize the instrument. I suppose it might save money, though.

#1282834 - 10/08/09 05:57 AM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: Horowitzian]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
Yes, unfortunately, sometimes it's all about the money. This economy doesn't help matters either.

Piano Technicæ Blog

#1283005 - 10/08/09 11:47 AM Re: Material Difference between US and Hamburg Steinway [Re: bkw58]
CC2 and Chopin lover Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Something that hasn't been mentioned are the differences in the hammers. As with the wippens, New York makes their own while Renner makes them for Hamburg to their specs. I would argue that they are an even bigger factor in the inherent differences between the two instruments.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (Almaviva, 36251, ADWyatt, accordeur, 47 invisible), 1650 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74257 Members
42 Forums
153603 Topics
2251250 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
Today at 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
Today at 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
Today at 08:33 AM
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
Today at 07:58 AM
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
Today at 06:58 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission