Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
141 registered (36251, accordeur, A Guy, 40 invisible), 1657 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1283362 - 10/08/09 10:40 PM acro spinet action removal
zissr Offline

Loc: north jersey
Is there a trick to lifting the pickup fingers over the capstans when putting the action back in? I've always had to remove the keys.

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#1283364 - 10/08/09 10:47 PM Re: acro spinet action removal [Re: zissr]
JBE Offline

Loc: USA
I usually remove the keys before removing the action on a spinet so they are already out of the way by the time I put it back in. I may be wrong but I think it is common practice to remove the keys anyway....at least I do.

#1283368 - 10/08/09 10:52 PM Re: acro spinet action removal [Re: JBE]
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan
You can get, from Schaff and Piano Tek also I think, a rail you can use to tighten against the various fingers...and this way, you can often remove (and more importantly install) the action w/o having to haul all the keys out.

I still haul the keys occasionally, especially if I see any evidence of vermin...(unless there's a mirror over the piano...then the vermin is just me...and I'm not taking keys out just because I'm inside the piano...)

RPD
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician www.actionpianoservice.com

#1283398 - 10/09/09 12:09 AM Re: acro spinet action removal [Re: RPD]
Peter Sumner- Piano Technician Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Always easier after you've set it on fire....especially if it's got 'vermin'....
Always check your pianos for 'Beck' 'Limbaugh' and 'Hannity' or other unspeakable vermin that might be insidiously affecting your fine instrument.

#1283546 - 10/09/09 08:26 AM Re: acro spinet action removal [Re: Peter Sumner- Piano Technician]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
On many spinets, you cannot remove the action without first removing the keys because there is not enough clearance between the backs of the keys to pull the action away from the action studs.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1283570 - 10/09/09 09:09 AM Re: acro spinet action removal [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
wesquire Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hi,
RPD has it right. The long rod is in four pieces (to fit in the tool case) and it screws together so it is as long as the action. You then tie it to the action brackets and you have a tight package with nothing loose and it removes and goes back with no problem. Vermin are another issue...

#1284138 - 10/10/09 12:59 AM Re: acro spinet action removal [Re: wesquire]
cjburget Offline

Loc: columbus, ohio
Is this the Acro with the wooden rail holding all the lifters?...I hope you tied the rail to end stickers in each section before removal!!

When reinstalling these "Thayer-like" Acrosonic actions with the keys still in place, I use the fallstrip (which I remove when removing these actions b/c I take out any keys which may partially cover screws holding the finger rail to the keybed) and use it (fallstrip) to push down on all the keys at once on the back just before the capstans. I push down on the fallstrip with one hand and pull the finger rail over the capstans with the other. Then just make sure all capstans are mated to their fingers and in line. You may have to "work it" a bit to make sure that everything is straight and that the rail "L" brackets line up with their screw holes in the keybed. Also be careful not to damage or snag the finger cloth.

Screw everything back in place THEN you can untie the end stickers and line them up. Everything USUALLY lines up alright but you may have a few dissidents!!

Other spinets you may be better off removing the keys. Later Acrosonics have the metal lifters with forks on the keys. You can unhook each key at the fork and remove or you can detach the lifters at the wippens and remove and place keys on a table w/ the lifter wires hanging over the edge. There are pros and cons with either way. The former may require re-regulating lost motion in some keys. While the latter can be tricky b/c the wippens may have a REALLY tight hold on the lifters and you may have the felt bushings (which may not be glued in) falling out.
Others yet will have "elbows" in which case you remove lifters from the forks and use the four part steel rod to secure the loose lifters to "hooks" in the action brackets.

Sorry if I went beyond the original question Zissr. Hope this helps!

Edited by cjburget (10/10/09 01:01 AM)

#1284274 - 10/10/09 11:19 AM Re: acro spinet action removal [Re: cjburget]
Sam Casey Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SW Missouri
I find when a Acro is infested with O'Reilly's one must don a hazmat suit before burning. Best to quickly flood the wreck with roach fog before dousing with gasoline.

#1284599 - 10/10/09 11:47 PM Re: acro spinet action removal [Re: Sam Casey]
JBE Offline

Loc: USA
When I find a Pelosi in one I usually call in an air strike immediately. Otherwise a simple home-nuking will do.

How's that for political? Heh heh heh.

#1284631 - 10/11/09 12:46 AM Re: acro spinet action removal [Re: JBE]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
A long time ago I copied the method from the Baldwin Service Manual to a post explaining how it is done. Do a search for it.

#1284740 - 10/11/09 08:33 AM Re: acro spinet action removal [Re: BDB]
zissr Offline

Loc: north jersey
Thanks for all the posts. I secured the finger rail with set screws. The bridle straps were long clip ons. They allowed many jacks to block the hammers to the strings when inserting the action. Does it matter whether you remove the finger rail from the brackets or the brackets from the keybed?

#1284751 - 10/11/09 09:18 AM Re: acro spinet action removal [Re: zissr]
Dan Casdorph Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
I've found it better to remove the brackets from the keybed, because when you replace the action they are not in the way. I leave them attached to the rail.

I use 6 damper blocks to hold up 2 lifter pins in each section. Lift the lifter as high as possible and install the damper block/clamp. lean the rail toward the action, and tie the lifter rail/ brackets against the main action brackets.

I always remove the keys on these Baldwins because if you start dropping those lifters out it quickly turns into a really bad day.
All pianos are bald ones.

#1284755 - 10/11/09 09:32 AM Re: acro spinet action removal [Re: Dan Casdorph]
tds Offline

Loc: Bastrop, Texas
Originally Posted By: Dan Casdorph

I use 6 damper blocks to hold up 2 lifter pins in each section. Lift the lifter as high as possible and install the damper block/clamp. lean the rail toward the action, and tie the lifter rail/ brackets against the main action brackets.

Zip-ties work very well for securing the rail to the action brackets, one on each end and one in the middle. Just be sure to have enough ties for when you return the action to the piano.

Tom Seay, Recovering Piano Technician
Bastrop, Texas

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Whip those springs into shape
by A454.7
11/26/14 06:29 PM
New Yamaha CLP-545 or used CLP-270/280 ???
by Panpiano
11/26/14 06:28 PM
Wanted to say hi
by patty5sewing
11/26/14 05:43 PM
Price of Knabe WMV-121?
by blackjack1777
11/26/14 04:36 PM
Audiobox USB vs Audiobox 22VSL
by mitzysman
11/26/14 04:33 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159381 Topics
2341205 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission