2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
Just out of curiosity, as a question to all those who have tackled or have mingled with the piece, how hard would you consider Chopin´s Fantasy Impromptu? I´m asking because the other day I heard a guy playing the entire piece decently and he has been learning piano for around three years, starting in his late teens (around 17).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think it's about a Grade 3 piece.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The book "Chopin: A graded practical guide" by Eleanor Bailie rates Fantasie Impromptu as Grade 8+, just below the Very Advanced rating. It is not horrendously difficult once you conquer the polyrhythms. There is a slow "moderato cantabile" middle section which is quite easy. The whole piece has many repeats so it shouldn't take too long to learn it and play it at half speed. Bringing it up to final tempo does take a fair amount of practice, several months for me. I believe a motivated teenager with 3 years of lessons under his belt and good practice habits should be able to tackle this piece.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
C
C
It's not as dificult as first seems. Yes there are some tricky parts but once you master these it isn't too bad. I was surprised by how fast I learnt it. I would imagine someone at intermediate level and with the amount of experience you mentioned should be able to tackle this piece with enough motivation and practice.

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I found that to play it was not all that tough. But to play it "well"... that is another story.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
If you can learn to play it and gain some satisfaction from it you may as well do it. Most of us will never play anything "well" if held to today's professional standard so we may as well play what we want. It's taken me about four months off and on to learn it. Of course I don't play it any better than I do anything else but I do enjoy it.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
If a 7 year-old kid can do it very well, why can't we grown ups do it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuQDV5TCn5Q&NR=1

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Because in about 15 years or so that 7 year old will probably be playing Rach III and we never will.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A lot of these prodigy's you never hear of after they reach age 14. (Thats my youtube experience so far at least)

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by -Frycek
If you can learn to play it and gain some satisfaction from it you may as well do it. Most of us will never play anything "well" if held to today's professional standard so we may as well play what we want. It's taken me about four months off and on to learn it. Of course I don't play it any better than I do anything else but I do enjoy it.

Well said, Frycek. The FI is sort of a benchmark piece, a ritual of accomplishment and a rite of passage for classical pianists. I think that's important, and it's got to be a confidence booster to play it in a way that's pleasing to oneself.

Steven

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by gerg
I think it's about a Grade 3 piece.

Not all the Fantasy Impromptus out there are the original version. There are quite a few simplified ones. I don't think it's a grade 3 piece. I wanted to play it for a piano class and showed my copy to the teacher, and she said it was "fake", ie an easier version.

It was still pretty though.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Nikalette,

You have a pretty name.

My comment was entirely sarcastic. The FI is a difficult work - Grade 8 as per Jazzyprof's source. It is definitely, without question, a piece one would be best served to learn hands-separately before even considering hands-together, so as to more effectively facilitate the 4-against-3 rhythm.

Chopin composed a very similar piece in his Op. 28 Preludes.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's difficult because of the polyrhythms primarily but, in my personal opinion, your time would be better spent learning one of the other impromptus... Chopin didn't like this one for a reason. The third impromptu is far more beautiful and unique.

Bach - WTC I in C major & C minor (BWV 846-847)
Mozart - Sonata K 282
Chopin - Polonaises Op 26
Schumann - Fantasiestücke Op 12
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Aren't the other impromptus considerably more difficult?

As for Chopin not liking it - we don't necessarily know that. As I recall there's some evidence (an extant private copy) that he actually composed this piece on commission and considered it the exclusive property of the individual who paid him and therefore no longer his to publish.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Aren't the other impromptus considerably more difficult?

As for Chopin not liking it - we don't necessarily know that. As I recall there's some evidence (an extant private copy) that he actually composed this piece on commission and considered it the exclusive property of the individual who paid him and therefore no longer his to publish.

The first and the third are arguably easier but the second is about as difficult as the Fantasie Impromptu. That's just my opinion though.

As for Chopin's fancies, my only concrete source of information comes from Wierzynski's biography so you'll have to forgive my ignorance. smile

Bach - WTC I in C major & C minor (BWV 846-847)
Mozart - Sonata K 282
Chopin - Polonaises Op 26
Schumann - Fantasiestücke Op 12
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am basically grade 3, having bought my piano 3 years ago in September (although before that I had a keyboard for about 1 1/2 years on which I played some songs, but now I consider it a toy, it only has 61 keys and the sound is just not that of a piano). Anyway, I tried the FI last year and I just didn't "feel" it, mainly because of the polyrhythms (maybe I was not very confident either, I gave up after only "looking" at it). I now tried it again after reading this thread and I can suddenly play the polyrhythms without even trying with separate hands, without any difficulty, but I still have to increase the speed. I would say that I am now playing allegro, rather than allegro agitato, but I guess I can get there if I practice now that I have overcome the main problem.
Thanks for kicking me into trying it again! smile

CA

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks ChopinAddict for suggesting that we can do it. I haven't yet started doing any major pieces outside of Alfred's but it's good to know nontheless.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by gerg
Hi Nikalette,

You have a pretty name.

My comment was entirely sarcastic. The FI is a difficult work - Grade 8 as per Jazzyprof's source. It is definitely, without question, a piece one would be best served to learn hands-separately before even considering hands-together, so as to more effectively facilitate the 4-against-3 rhythm.

Chopin composed a very similar piece in his Op. 28 Preludes.

Thank you.

Which piece in his Op. 28 Preludes is similar?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pretty difficult.

there are so many chopin pieces one could learn. (the accessible waltzes for instance)

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Originally Posted by Nikalette

Which piece in his Op. 28 Preludes is similar?

Op 28 No. 8 in F sharp minor, maybe, with its polyrhythms, arpeggiated left-hand patterns and fast right hand. It's a bit harder though than FI, I presume?!

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission