2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1284580 10/10/09 10:48 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I was just reading some theory from Alfred's Basic Adult Theory Piano Book level three. In the first few pages the book names every degree of the scale. Tonic, Supertonic, Mediant, Subdominant, Dominant, Submediant, and Leading Tone. I guess I just don't understand where this is headed. What's the value of naming the intervals in the scale? Isn't the interval # enough? It just seems to add another level of complexity and I'm trying to determine the value. What am I missing? I imagine at some future point while studying theory this is important. Thanks for any feedback.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm cutting and pasting this from the other active thread...

Originally Posted by jazzwee
In the Jazz Study Group Thread, there is a lesson called "Scale Degrees"

Scale Degrees Lesson

I don't know if this is too advanced for you but it explains what I mean when I say, I IV V of a scale. If you know these degrees of a scale (translated to chords), you will be able to play 90% of pop tunes just by ear.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee #1284596 10/10/09 11:39 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The names you cited are somewhat universal, meaning you can apply them to any key, unlike the letter names in a scale.

I can play the tonic and dominant chords in any key, but they will have different letter names depending on what key I'm in. Knowing their functions allows for easier transposition and helps guide musical shape.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Normally we refer to these scale degrees in Roman Numerals (capitalized being major and lower case being minor):

I (Tonic), ii, iii, IV (Subdominant), V (Dominant), vi, vii

The point of scale degrees being that most music is some combination of these and knowing them allows you to play most pop tunes by ear. Very useful during Christmas time for example...

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
n the first few pages the book names every degree of the scale. Tonic, Supertonic, Mediant, Subdominant, Dominant, Submediant, and Leading Tone. I guess I just don't understand where this is headed. What's the value of naming the intervals in the scale?

As I understand it, it is because in functional harmony these degrees also have a function and the names reflect that function. If your music is in the key of C, then it likes to start and end on C because that is like a "home tone". The first degree note is C, and since it's this home tone, it is also called the Tonic. The seventh degree note is B. It's one a half step away from the Tonic and "leads right into" the Tonic. If you play a scale and stop on B, you're itching to play C. The seventh degree note, which "leads in", is called the Leading Note. Your fifth degree note is very important, and it's called the Dominant. And so forth.

So the degree numbers just let you know it's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, but the degree names reflect the function, like for example the leading note which leads into the tonic.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When you are just starting out it is probably enough to use names like "chord one, chord five" and abbreviate them and I, V. I'd agree that this is enough to remember when you are beginning to learn about chords.

The words Tonic, Supertonic, Mediant etc describe how each chord functions within a piece. For example the word Tonic (for chord I) describes that this is chord is built on the home Tone of the piece, the tone that the piece usually ends on, the tonal centre of the key (don't think of exceptions at this point).
Chord V is descibed as the dominant because this chord is so dominating in it's effect. Again best to think Beethoven rather than exceptions. You must have noticed that chord V really gets around. The other reason for calling it dominant is that you find in classical and romantic music (and lots of other music) that the harmony is moving towards the dominant, and once it gets there... well the job is done and the piece can flop gently (or plunge ecstatically) down to the tonic. This happens on a small scale (in just one bar) or across a whole movement.

Hmmm drifting off topic here. Can't help it wink
So know that these words exist, and gradually learn them if and when you need, certainly not necessary all at once. Hope this helps and good luck with your journey in the fun realms of How Music Works.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Canonie #1284928 10/11/09 02:47 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
This is the kind of texbook knowledge
that is worthless unless you're
going into an academic career. You
can simply forget it.

There are thousands of 300 page
jazz piano textbooks you can buy,
but unless you like wading through
stuff like that, you can just
ignore them. What a 300 page jazz
theory book is essentially saying is:
"you can study this backwards and
forwards, but in the end it's all by
ear."

Sit down at the piano and just
dig in with both hands and all ten
fingers, and improvise stuff purely
by ear, with no concern for
any music theory. This is how you
train your ear. It all comes down
to playing by ear like this.

Gyro #1284933 10/11/09 02:56 PM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Yeah, forget about it.......

Unless of course you enjoy learning!

Pianist and piano teacher.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission