2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
This thread could be fun as well as educational and focused on making music. Coming out of discussion between Studio Joe (Joe Whitehead) and myself in another thread, I thought it was a great idea to come up with ways of reharmonizing (basically coming up with a different chord progression) for the typical nursery rhymes. Nursery Rhymes are simple so it's within the reach of many here to play.

We will start off here with "Mary had a Little Lamb".

The requirements for this little exercise is that the melody must fit completely in the chord progression and must not be altered. There is no other rule as to what chords to use or rhythmic style. In a way it's like composition. But it's simple stuff.

There is no bar here for playing quality, we're just interested in your creativity.

As background to this nursery rhyhme, it is a typical I-IV-V tune, which in the key of C just uses the chords C, F and G.

This is for entertainment value only (and hopefully educational) so the main goal is to have fun. Feel free to ask us how we came up with the reharmonization although I can't guarantee that we will remember how we did it. smile

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Sounds like fun! I'll be joining in. smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I will make the first submission. Although I had some general idea of what to play from noodling around for a few minutes, I have to say that I was just improvising as I went through it so I may not exactly remember what I did. Because I'm known here for being a jazz guy, at least this first try is not too bizarre smile

I may have cheated slightly in altering the melody. But if you play the same melody throughout, it will still fit, thus staying within the rule. Unfortunately, my "improvising" mentality always causes me to alter the melody.

http://www.box.net/shared/1zls7rx9b9

My Jazz Blog

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
One of my favorite ABF threads ever - tho not on reharmonizing necessarily:

Mary Had a Little Lamb

I'm looking forward to more.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Cool, jazzwee -

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Darn, Cathy. We're not original. Oh well, this is not limited to "Mary..."

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If one breakes the rules of your requirement, will they be ostracized? For example variations on the principal melody? I have some ideas that involve a verse in a minor key which would require changinging ther original melody somewhat, but it would still be recognizable as "Mary Had a Little Lamb".

The original song as I remember it in my head uses only I and V (no IV). But another variation idea I have in mind changes the melody to include the IV chord.

I think requiring that "the melody must not be altered" stifles the creativity for delightful things one can do with this arrangement.

Edit: Oh I see you already broke the rule yourself while I was typing my post. So nevermind.

Last edited by Studio Joe; 10/11/09 05:41 PM.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Ok, here's mine:

http://www.box.net/shared/q5m1zu1mxg

Kinda fun!

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Darn, Cathy. We're not original. Oh well, this is not limited to "Mary..."

Improvisation is, by definition, original smile

Cathy

Cathy
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Well Joe, if you open it up to just a recognizable melody we will truly open the doors smile No problem with me. At least in my first try, I purposely stifled myself by making sure the original melody still fits (though I didn't necessarily play it). It was quite limiting, I'd have to agree.

It's all fun so go for it.

My Jazz Blog

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Riddler's is impressive. Can you tell us what the chords are?

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Riddler that was great! Pretty original. I'm sure each one of these will have a different feel. Some will be dark, mysterious, and perplexing...:)

This is going to be fun! Keep 'em coming.

My Jazz Blog

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Ed, that was cool, too.

These have quite a different flavor so far (all 2 of you) than the earlier thread. I like!

Cathy

Cathy
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
But Ed opened the door to jazz versions so now I can do that too smile

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good Jazzwee and Riddler! Enjoyed 'em.

I'll have to wait for a warmer day to get out to the garage where my recording set-up is, then I'll submit my version. Meanwhile I have a piano in the house to practice on.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This looks like a really fun thread, and I loved the old one that Cathy provided. Those "Mary's" were really cool! But, as a beginner who has been playing from the Alfred Book 1 for over a year, and has never improvised a thing, can you tell me how to get started doing that? I mean, I can sit down and plunk around until I get the melody, but then what do I do next? I'm sure there are other beginners who would love to know that too.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Here's the fun part Mom3gram, at the beginning stages, you can play ANY series of white notes on the LH and it will come out ok! The rest of us who are more advanced venture beyond white notes, but you certainly don't have to.

The melody notes...just plunk away at C, D and E (start at E). Can't be simpler than that.

Now there's a little music theory why this works but you can figure that out later AFTER you give it a try.

My Jazz Blog

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
TLT,

Here are the chords I used:

C D7 E7 F#7
Bb7 E7 A7 Eb7
F Bb#11
D7 Dbmaj7#11
Cmaj7#11

That #11 ending is a trick I just learned recently. Came in handy!

This thread is a cool idea. There's nothing I like better than finding a simple way to learn something complicated!

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
mom3gram, learning to improvise is both the simplest and the most difficult thing to do. It's simple because all you have to do is play whatever comes into mind, it's difficult because conventional learning is all about doing things correctly.

While working your way thru Alfred's, you're using the left side of your brain. That's the rules side. What you've got to do is to access the right side. That's the creative side. Some of your best work will be done away from the piano. Just take a theme or part of a melody and hum or whistle or sing variations on it. For example, "Mary had a little lamb" or "fleece was white as snow." See what comes out when you start to have fun with it. After you've hummed or whistled or sung some variations, return to the piano and try to sound out your variations. (In this context, "variation" can also include "something completely different.")

At first, process is more important than result, so don't judge the results, just sound them out. Continue to do some of that every day. In effect you're teaching yourself to access your subconscious mind. The subconscious does not function in a linear fashion. You may get a lot or nothing at at first. But if you continue, you'll discover that you can access your creative side whenever you want to.

I don't have Level One handy. Does it get into 6th or 7th chords at all? If it doesn't, you might want to skip the reharmonization - or just try some inversions - and concentrate on the melody. A standard jazz form is A1, B, A2. Your improv would be the B. (There is a current jazz vocabulary - you'll see some of it in the responses to this thread - but building large vocabularies won't automatically transform people into writers.)

It may help to recall that Chopin loved to improvise when performing, that Beethoven would have friends over and regale them with his improvising, etc., etc. Actually more than a thousand years before the giants of Western music appeared, the Imperial Chinese wrote down rules for performing at court. Priority was given to the song, within the song priority was given to melody, and the soloist was expected - expected - to improvise. What is now accepted as normal is in fact a response to the exigencies of managing large symphony orchestras. So the content of traditional lessons is, in effect, teaching an aberration in the history of making music.

The whole point of accessing your creative side is to play *you.*

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks for those chords, Riddler. In a little while I might be brave enough to try them. For now I've started with something a little more basic, but which should satisfy most 3 year olds:

http://www.box.net/shared/qhz6uur7np

mom3gran - I do hope you will stay and experiment with us. Jazzwee will steer you in the right direction and you will be amazed at what you can achieve without music in front of you. Here I've done as jazzwee suggested - random while notes in the base, and I don't think it sounds all that bad:

http://www.box.net/shared/5t59plxa5u

The first thing I did when I sat at the piano today, I meant to go from a chord of C to F. But I wasn't awake, and my LH went to a G instead. So I accidentally played quite a juicy Gsus. Only thing is, I have no idea what to follow it with! smile

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission