2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
I'm planning on buying a digital piano soon, more than likely from Guitar Center, but possibly online. If I don't cave in, I am planning to wait until Black Friday, but I wasn't sure if places like Guitar Center or the online stores have big discounts on that day. If so, then I may try to go for a Yamaha or Korg, if they're offering bigger discount, instead of my original plan to buy a Casio PX-130. Any experience here?

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
The impression I have is that,
for digital pianos at least, the
best prices in brick and mortar
stores are after Christmas. Then
there is extreme price slashing,
and you can get great deals
on digitals.

Online stores don't seem to
have these types of sales, since
they claim that their prices
are always lower than in brick
and mortar stores. However,
many of them have beat-any-price
policies, and if you say that
such and such store is selling
a certain digital for some price,
they might beat it.

M
M
I'm pretty curious about this too. Anyone else have an opinion?

In days of old it benefited those who had contained their excitement and waited for that magical period of Dec 26th to Dec 31st. otherwise known as month/year end. A lot of brick and mortars will have the latitude to give you a bit more off at that time than what you might have negotiated prior to Christmas to get that last minute business booked.

But be realistic … no reason to open up the store if your gonna give the goods away.

What would concern me now is inventory depth. I’m guessing dealers are not going deep these days so make sure you know that they have enough of what you want to play some poker with em. You might even want to have a favorite 2nd choice at another dealer to compare your opportunities.

Drives em nuts.

Did me.

Former retail piano sales

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
There's a bit of a random element to getting the best price because the price breaks come from different sources. I waited to buy a P140 until the store was giving away the stand as part of a sale price, and Yamaha happened to have a $100 rebate going on. Those two things together made it the best price I had found after watching for a long time. It seemed to me like there were "sales" going on all the time, but some sales were better than others.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I don't pay much attention to the Black Friday sales, but I can say that Guitar Center generally has a big sale over the Labor Day weekend.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for all the replies. Definitely really helpful.

Originally Posted by Gyro
The impression I have is that,
for digital pianos at least, the
best prices in brick and mortar
stores are after Christmas. Then
there is extreme price slashing,
and you can get great deals
on digitals.

Not sure I can wait though! I was planning to buy one this month, but then my car broke down, and after repairs and everything, it came up to about $1200. I'm not as eager as before now, but Christmas might be too long.

Originally Posted by Gyro
Online stores don't seem to
have these types of sales, since
they claim that their prices
are always lower than in brick
and mortar stores. However,
many of them have beat-any-price
policies, and if you say that
such and such store is selling
a certain digital for some price,
they might beat it.

Yeah, I figured that. When the online stores match prices, does that include when another store is having a bigger sale or discount?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
FYI: Guitar center matches prices. Just bring in a copy of a webpage (dated) or add and make sure it is not for a B-Stock item.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Thelonius One
I'm planning on buying a digital piano soon, more than likely from Guitar Center, but possibly online. If I don't cave in, I am planning to wait until Black Friday, but I wasn't sure if places like Guitar Center or the online stores have big discounts on that day. If so, then I may try to go for a Yamaha or Korg, if they're offering bigger discount, instead of my original plan to buy a Casio PX-130. Any experience here?

I don't know about that day, but the online stores are regularly having sales, including Guitar Center. Sometimes they're not advertised online though. If by big discount you mean 10 to 20% I'm sure you'll find one by the end of the year, and the online sellers match prices.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Guitar Center had 15% off across the board last Black Friday.

T
OP Offline
T
It would be nice since Black Friday is coming to try post whatever Black Friday, and also Cyber Monday, sales we see. I've been going to Guitar Center's and Woodwind/Brasswind website and a few local site here in Michigan, but haven't seen anything yet.

M
M
I bet we'll start to see some sales advertisements this monday...

H
H
Originally Posted by munkeegutz
I bet we'll start to see some sales advertisements this monday...

Alright everyone...everybody talks about sale and black friday...but WHERE to see the ad??? smile
I know a pretty good site, but never did i see a digital piano posted. http://www.gottadeal.com/

New to the US...
bored..because of almost no friends...
decided to go w a piano...
not to kill time,
but to enjoy time.
H
H
by the way, for px130: http://www.kraftmusic.com/search/index.asp?query=Casio+PX-130
kraftmusic is a good online store, i assume. I bought my YDP 223 (complete bundle w survivor kit, book, cover, chair, headphone, lamp) for 1633 w free shipping. A great deal of that time!

New to the US...
bored..because of almost no friends...
decided to go w a piano...
not to kill time,
but to enjoy time.
G
G
I just received a mailing from Guitar Center: 15% discount on ANY item on Friday 27, 10 % discount on ANY item on Saturday, and $50 discount on any purchase over $340 until December 24.

L
L
Maybe this will be helpful. No info about GC so far, but maybe in a few days something appears.

http://www.blackfriday.info/sales/

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
When I was looking at this time last year, there weren't any spectacular bargains between Black Friday and Christmas. I think you will find better and more bargains after the holidays. Check out Guitar Center clearance event that runs the whole month of January.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by bitWrangler
Guitar Center had 15% off across the board last Black Friday.

I get those all the time, in mail and email. You have to read the fine print. Below is a quote from the last fine print I got.

"Certain items from Ampeg, Behringer, Bugera, Buffet Pro, Epiphone, Gibson, Ibanez, Korg, Mackie, Marshall, Monster Cable, Pearl, Roland, Tama and Vox may not qualify for this offer. Products from Adam, Apple Computer, Fender, Gretsch, Jackson, Charvel, Squier, and Yamaha do not qualify for this offer."

So the Casios will be discounted but not Yamaha, Korg or Roland.

One trick: Everyone price matches and offers to give you 10% of the difference. So The last thing I bought I found the most expensive place and bought it there. This way I maximized the "10% of difference" part. I think I made $10 that way. It was on a guitar amp at GC and a competitor was running a sale. So when you see a sale, go some place else.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In my career I have worked in several stores and for several chains of piano stores. Most, put their holiday prices on sometime about now and run with them until after the end of the year. I have niever known lower prices on Black Friday or after Christmas. I cannot speak for MI chains or big box mass merchandisers.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
T
OP Offline
T
I found this for Guitar Center on one of those coupon/ad message boards:

http://www.daddyodeals.com/phpBB/gu...and-cyber-monday-2009-deals-t124388.html

$100 off $500, $50 off 350-499.99, $25 off 199-349.99

You've been selected to receive this incredible Black Friday Early Bird private offer. The holiday season is here and Guitar Center wants to help you make the season even better.

We have stocked up on thousands of items and are offering you three ways to save on these items before they sell out.

Combine that with our already Guaranteed Lowest Price and you can get a seriously sweet deal on gear!

Browse, order and ship items directly from www.GuitarCenter.com using code: GOBBLE

Happy Holidays and happy shopping!

Your friends at www.GuitarCenter.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission