Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1285422 - 10/12/09 11:46 AM Chopin Mazurka recordings
dmc092657 Offline

Has anyone besides Rubinstein released a recording of all of Chopin's Mazurkas ? Lately I've been enjoying these a great deal but I have a hankering to hear someone else's interpretation. No knock against Rubinstein, but I think he does play these a little more tamely. I have some recordings of Horowitz, Ashkenazy etc playing selected Mazurkas which are wonderful. But I'm wondering if anyone else recorded all of these. If so, I'd love to hear them.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1285456 - 10/12/09 01:01 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: dmc092657]
buck2202 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I didn't look through all of the listings, but arkivmusic suggests that at least Garrick Ohlsson has recorded the "complete" works of Chopin. If you browse through the mazurkas by opus number, you might find others who are close to having recorded the complete set. Rubinstein has the only (near?) complete set of the mazurkas that I've heard, though.

Complete Works
Mazurkas

#1285459 - 10/12/09 01:07 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: dmc092657]
akonow Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Ashkenazy's album of all the mazurkas is really a work of art and it's one of my favorite classical CDs. Ohlsson's interpretations are definitely different but no less magical. Frederic Chiu's mazurkas tend to be a little underrated but I think he captures Chopin's intentions quite accurately (although he does tend to linger sometimes).
Schumann - Fantasiestücke Op 12

#1285471 - 10/12/09 01:24 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: akonow]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Fou Ts'ong, about which one hears nothing these days - recorded the complete Mazurkas on Sony Essential Classics SB2k 53246 in 1984, released in 1993.

Ashkenazy's recording (made between 1976 and 1985), is on the London (Decca) label "Double Decker," re-released © 1996, 448 086-2.

Regards,

#1285527 - 10/12/09 02:47 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: BruceD]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Salt Lake City
Rubinstein actually recorded the mazurkas twice--I would opt for the earlier recording (from 1938 if memory serves correct).

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

#1285700 - 10/12/09 08:10 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: Thracozaag]
dmc092657 Offline

Quote:
I didn't look through all of the listings, but arkivmusic suggests that at least Garrick Ohlsson has recorded the "complete" works of Chopin. If you browse through the mazurkas by opus number, you might find others who are close to having recorded the complete set. Rubinstein has the only (near?) complete set of the mazurkas that I've heard, though.

I found this on iTunes. Cost: $160. A little more than I care to spend but I have to admit that in addition to all the standard Chopin repetoire, he also has things more off the beaten track such as:

Variations Brilliantes in Bb - "Je Vends Des Scapulaires"
Tarentelle in A flat
Introduction & Bolero in A minor

I didn't count them up, but it appears to include all the Mazurkas. So when they say "Complete Works", they aint kiddin' !

#1285738 - 10/12/09 09:21 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: dmc092657]
Goldberg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.
Try Alexander Uninsky for a well-respected, yet seemingly little-known recording. He was my teacher's teacher, and I really enjoyed delving in his recording time and again in light of the mazurkas I was studying at the time!

#1285783 - 10/12/09 11:01 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: Goldberg]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
This is a search result from All Music:

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1285786 - 10/12/09 11:10 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: Thracozaag]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Thracozaag
Rubinstein actually recorded the mazurkas twice--I would opt for the earlier recording (from 1938 if memory serves correct).

I'll have to look into that — thanks Koji! Horowitz in his standard fashion never recorded the complete set. He doubtless knew all of them, though.

#1285791 - 10/12/09 11:19 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: Horowitzian]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Horowitzian
Originally Posted By: Thracozaag

I'll have to look into that — thanks Koji! Horowitz in his standard fashion never recorded the complete set. He doubtless knew all of them, though.

There are three different recordings of the 51-piece cycle included in the enormous Rubinstein Collection box set: 1938-39, 1952-53, 1965-66.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1285894 - 10/13/09 05:13 AM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: sotto voce]
Derek Hartwell Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
The search result shown does not include the complete recording of the Mazurkas by the French pianist Samson Francois which I have on a 2-CD set on the EMI CLASSICS label that also includes the second and third Sonatas.

#1286101 - 10/13/09 12:00 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: Derek Hartwell]
BruceD Online   content

Originally Posted By: Derek Hartwell
The search result shown does not include the complete recording of the Mazurkas by the French pianist Samson Francois which I have on a 2-CD set on the EMI CLASSICS label that also includes the second and third Sonatas.

AllMusic's claims notwithstanding : (from their website)

The allmusic website was created in 1995 as a place for music fans to indulge their passion. Whether you’re visiting allmusic to look up an out-of-print recording, to get our take on a new release, or simply to explore the world of music and see where it may lead, you’ve come to the right spot.

The AMG editorial staff, along with hundreds of expert contributors (all music fanatics in their own right), has made allmusic the most comprehensive music reference source on the planet. We are all dedicated to creating and maintaining the knowledgeable, spirited content that music lovers and industry professionals have come to expect from AMG.

... their list is obviously not a complete one. Their claim of being "...the most comprehensive music reference source on the planet" is evidently editorial hyperbole, given the instance of the Chopin Mazurkas alone.

Regards,

#1286129 - 10/13/09 12:38 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: BruceD]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I don't think that the description of AllMusic by its staff is notably inaccurate. I would resist judging a site's content from the capabilities of its search engine smile ; human fallibility in choice of keywords to execute a search is something to be reckoned with, too.

I really thought I was being helpful by posting those search results, and I really do think AllMusic is a very informative and very entertaining site.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1286152 - 10/13/09 01:09 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: BruceD]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Originally Posted By: Derek Hartwell

AllMusic's claims notwithstanding : (from their website)

The allmusic website was created in 1995 as a place for music fans to indulge their passion. Whether you’re visiting allmusic to look up an out-of-print recording, to get our take on a new release, or simply to explore the world of music and see where it may lead, you’ve come to the right spot.

The AMG editorial staff, along with hundreds of expert contributors (all music fanatics in their own right), has made allmusic the most comprehensive music reference source on the planet. We are all dedicated to creating and maintaining the knowledgeable, spirited content that music lovers and industry professionals have come to expect from AMG.

... their list is obviously not a complete one. Their claim of being "...the most comprehensive music reference source on the planet" is evidently editorial hyperbole, given the instance of the Chopin Mazurkas alone.

Regards,

Even the best can falter. Doubtless, the job of collecting as much information as they have is a monstrous one, and I'd be inclined to allow them the benefit of the doubt here.

#1286162 - 10/13/09 01:20 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: sotto voce]
BruceD Online   content

Originally Posted By: sotto voce
[...]
I really thought I was being helpful by posting those search results, and I really do think AllMusic is a very informative and very entertaining site.

Steven

Don't take it personally, Steven! I neither claimed that allmusic was an uninteresting site nor that the list was uninformative.

I simply stated that, on the basis of the Mazurka search, the complete list, having missed two significant recordings that I know of, was not a complete one and that the claim of being the greatest resource on the planet may have a hint, perhaps, of hyperbole. If their search engine was capable of bringing up some (to me) obscure recordings, why was it not capable of bringing up two fairly well-known ones as well?

Regards,

#1286167 - 10/13/09 01:28 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: BruceD]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I just wanted to reaffirm the quality of the site itself, lest anyone think it's seriously discredited by its search engine.

FWIW, it's as much as mystery to me how certain results got included that clearly shouldn't be as that a couple of known collections are missing. Scriabin mazurkas? Chopin's complete works for piano and orchestra, or for cello and piano?

Dang. I guess such are the vagaries of search engines.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1286240 - 10/13/09 03:06 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: sotto voce]
buck2202 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
..or Chopin's complete waltzes, sonatas, etc. At least the site realizes that the "relevance" of those recordings is low...probably just because it includes some, but not all of your search terms. By that scheme, Scriabin's complete mazurkas might get the same score as an opus or two of Chopin's mazurkas, or Chopin's complete anything. Some search engines aren't that great (hello, pianoworld wink )

I hadn't seen that site before, though. I seem to keep bookmarking links that you post, Steven. smile

#1286527 - 10/14/09 02:55 AM Re: Chopin Mazurka recordings [Re: BruceD]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Fou Ts'ong, about which one hears nothing these days - recorded the complete Mazurkas on Sony Essential Classics SB2k 53246 in 1984, released in 1993.

He has also re-recorded them on a restored 1849 Erard as part of the new complete Chopin set done by various pianists on a couple of old instruments for the Polish Chopin Institute.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (ajames, accordeur, acortot, 36251, A Guy, 51 invisible), 1629 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75901 Members
42 Forums
156862 Topics
2304880 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Any interest in reviving the Denver area piano group?
by Colin Dunn
23 minutes 9 seconds ago
Masterclass etiquette doubt
by Francisco Scalco
Today at 10:21 AM
Using the drum tracks on KAWAI MP6 piano
by Dr Jazz
Today at 08:39 AM
4K piano purchase question
by ConstantlyConfused
Today at 08:17 AM
Do you use a method series to teach jazz? What series?
by Maechre
Today at 07:39 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission