Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
147 registered (anotherscott, accordeur, 45 invisible), 1536 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1272431 - 09/22/09 01:18 AM From Casio CDP-100 to Kawai CN42 or Roland HP207 or others?
Tony Lau Offline

I am an adult beginner piano student living in Canada. Since I started taking lesson, I realized that even though the Casio I practice on has hammer action, the action doesn't seem right when compared with the real piano at the teacher's place. The Casio action feels heavier and slower by comparison. The pedal is also pretty bad ...

I am thinking of upgrading to a better digital piano. I am more inclined toward Roland and Kawai. The Kawai CA series is quite expensive and hard to find in the Vancouver area and therefore I tried the Roland HP207 first. Its action was very nice and it also sounded good. However Roland Canada only offers a 1 year warranty for such an expensive instrument (dealer quoted "discounted" price of $4395 Canadian). It is much shorter than the 5 year offered by others, so I hesitated.

Kawai also offers the CN series, which is more available (and interestingly, from a dealer different from the one carrying the CA series ... strange). I tried the CN22, the lowest model in the series, and found it quite playable, though the action was less realistic than the Roland, and was a bit light. I cannot judge the sound because I tried it at a special sale event at a college gymnasium while other pianos were playing. I asked for a quote on its bigger brother CN42, and was told it sells for CDN$2200.

I know it is not fair to compare two pianos with such a big difference in price, but given that I am a beginner, should I put a lot of money on the best instrument, or start out with something less expensive and upgrade later when I improve? Should I be concerned with Roland's less than generous (compared to others) warranty?

I would also like to hear from anyone who owns or has tried the Kawai CNx2 series, especially the CN42, regarding your opinion on its action, its sound, among other things.

Thanks,
Tony

Edited by Tony Lau (09/22/09 01:28 AM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1272460 - 09/22/09 03:41 AM Re: From Casio CDP-100 to Kawai CN42 or Roland HP207 or others? [Re: Tony Lau]
Tiana Offline

Loc: QLD Australia
If you are honestly deadly serious about learning and are in it for the long haul (so to speak!) then I would say go for the more expensive one. Although, have you tried looking for secondhand digital pianos? I got a 6 month old yamaha that was almost $5000AU for $800.

The cheaper one would be good as in the future bigger and better models will be available and if you are serious about playing then you may want to purchase a more recent model. As for the warranty, ring around and get quotes from other music shops (possibly in other cities or states) and tell the sales person the quotes you have been given. ASk them to beat it or match it, or they will lose your sale.

Sorry I'm not very much help in this area, good luck!

#1272473 - 09/22/09 04:26 AM Re: From Casio CDP-100 to Kawai CN42 or Roland HP207 or others? [Re: Tiana]
Geoffk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
I own a Roland HP-203 and HP-207. I love the 207, but I couldn't really justify buying a 2nd one for my city place, so I got a 203 instead. Whenever I play the 203, I miss voices and features I have on the 207. Even though it would have been another $1000 or so, I'm sorry I didn't just get two HP-207's.

Why get an instrument that you don't love? If you enjoy playing it and you plan to keep it for a while, (and you can afford it...), than you should spend the money to get what you really want.

I agree that Roland is being a little cheap with the warranty. You may be able to get an extended warranty very cheaply from the store if you're nervous. I was offered one, but didn't bother, as these instruments are very well-made and have been rock-solid reliable.

A used instrument can be a good deal, if it's a good-quality model and not too old. More than a few year's old is probably too much.

Finally, Kawai and Yamaha are also excellent. You should play a Yamaha CLP-340 also to see if you like it. But personally, I prefer Roland. I understand perfectly why you love the HP-207, as I do too.

#1272597 - 09/22/09 10:22 AM Re: From Casio CDP-100 to Kawai CN42 or Roland HP207 or others? [Re: Geoffk]
Glenn Grafton Offline

Loc: Souderton PA
The CN22, 32 and 42 all share the same action. They differ in terms of number of voices; 17, 36 & 309 if my memory serves me. The size and number of speakers improves from the CN22 to the CN32 and the amps in the CN42 have more output.

The major difference between the CN and CA Kawai series is the full length wooden key AWA pro action.
877-GRAFTON (877-472-3866)
Remove "nospam" in email address.
glenn@nospamgraftonpiano.com

Grafton Piano Home Page

#1285830 - 10/13/09 01:27 AM Re: From Casio CDP-100 to Kawai CN42 or Roland HP207 or others? [Re: Glenn Grafton]
Tony Lau Offline

Just wondering if anyone owns or has auditioned the Kawai CN42 and can share your experience of it with me. How does it compare with the smaller CN series, the CA series and pianos in the similar price range from Roland and Yamaha?

I was not able to find a CN42 to audition in Vancouver. There are two dealers that carry the CN series. The one that provided me with a quote decided to carry only the CN22 and CN32 because its main business is acoustics piano. The other one can order one if needed but again does not have one at the store, partly because the store manager (or owner?) believes most people will go for the CA51 given the small(?) price difference because of the better wooden action.

I am very curious about the piano sound of CN42. If it is good through the speakers, then I may consider getting it. The CA51 sounded a bit funny in the bass but I am not sure if it is the speaker system or the sound engine. As mentioned in another thread, I am also thinking about the CA63 but it is not yet available, the speaker system seems to be the same as the CA51, and I suspect it will be significantly more expensive than the CN42.

The promotion material mentioned a number of differences between CN22 and CN42 in terms of sound:
- Polyphony - 96 vs 192
- Harmonic Imaging vs Progressive Harmonic Imaging (both 88 key sampling)
- Damper effect and String Resonance on the CN42
- 16w vs 40w output power
- 16cm speaker vs 16cm+5cm speakers

Thanks!

Edited by Tony Lau (10/13/09 01:33 AM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Experienced pianist: digital piano to "replace" grand
by integris
12/18/14 05:39 PM
why do I suddenly have clacking bass notes
by music32
12/18/14 04:57 PM
Kawai Digital Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 03:28 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:41 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:38 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159960 Topics
2349154 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission