Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1284185 - 10/10/09 06:22 AM How can I fit a grand piano in a lift?
junmer Offline

Loc: United Arab Emirates
It's a brand new Kawai RX-6. Length of piano is 7 feet. The width of the lift is also 7 feet, but the height is 7' 3". Only three inches allowance. Is it possible? Thanks in advance.
United Arab Emirates
0097150-6543009
0097155-6543009

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1284243 - 10/10/09 10:18 AM Re: How can I fit a grand piano in a lift? [Re: junmer]
Thomson Lawrie Offline

Loc: Grimsby ON Canada
I don't think it will go. The mover will be using a dolly which is going to add to the height if you up end it. The real issue is the door. It probably won't be the full height of the elevator space. The door never opens up to the width of the inside wall, so seven feet of width doesn't help because it would have to go in on an angle. Too bad it's not a piano accordion.

I went through this exercise for a friend last year. I went to the building and measured the elevator space before we talked about what model grand they could buy. I talked to the building management too. They let me talk to one of the condo owners that had a grand piano and they were nice enough to let me measure it. The people from the building management also said that some one had a grand piano lifted to the penthouse a few years back, using a helicopter. My friend decided to go with something that would fit in the elevator even though I thought the other option sounded pretty exciting.

#1284449 - 10/10/09 04:48 PM Re: How can I fit a grand piano in a lift? [Re: Thomson Lawrie]
junmer Offline

Thanks Thomson. Guess it's not really worth the risk it takes to damage the piano. The staircase is large enough but what technique is there to manually bring it up? How many people can be used? Are there materials needed to protect it from scratches or bumps?
United Arab Emirates
0097150-6543009
0097155-6543009

#1285016 - 10/11/09 05:33 PM Re: How can I fit a grand piano in a lift? [Re: junmer]
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I got my 7'4" piano into my condo, but the elevator was 9'6" in the middle. The doors were close to that high, so the piano had to be sort of slid in to the elevator. It also had to be "dumped," apparently piano-moverese for put up on its key bed. It took a crew of six, but they did it!

I would take measurements to the dealership and talk to the movers themselves about this. Don't give up unless you have to!

By the way, if the piano had not fit in the elevator, as between taking the stairs and using a crane to lift the piano through a window, the moving company indicated it would use a crane. The stairs were not an acceptable option, even though it would only have been two flights. (I guess "only" is the wrong way to put this.)

#1285063 - 10/11/09 06:51 PM Re: How can I fit a grand piano in a lift? [Re: Rank Piano Amateur]
CTPianotech Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CT
Someone posted this link a while back... As you can see, the piano is longer than the height of the elevator entrance way.

kudos to this moving crew:

Ritmuller/Pearl River

#1285636 - 10/12/09 05:45 PM Re: How can I fit a grand piano in a lift? [Re: junmer]
jpscoey Offline

Loc: Manchester, England, UK.
Originally Posted By: junmer
It's a brand new Kawai RX-6. Length of piano is 7 feet. The width of the lift is also 7 feet...

Is the lift 7 feet square?.... if so, diagonally, from corner-to-corner, it will be 10 feet -

plenty of room.

#1285849 - 10/13/09 02:25 AM Re: How can I fit a grand piano in a lift? [Re: jpscoey]
junmer Offline

Hi. Work has been successfully done. I used the staircase as there were plenty of room there. Of course in the elevator it could have gone more than 7 foot 3 inches as the roof of it had a false ceiling that the end of the piano opposite the keyboard could push up, but there was just more risk there than there was in the stairs. If the stairs were narrow, I would have gone through the elevator just like what is in the video. Thanks for posting.
United Arab Emirates
0097150-6543009
0097155-6543009

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, 47 invisible), 1392 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153566 Topics
2250607 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
04/18/14 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
04/18/14 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
04/18/14 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
04/18/14 09:08 PM
the conclusion on weighted keys and developing technique
by B.Petrovic
04/18/14 09:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission