2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 92 of 452 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 451 452
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome to all from me too!!

I'm finally doing it...again!!! I took some piano lessons years ago in community college and have been itching to get back into it. I was using the Alfred's books back then so I am somewhat familiar with the first 1/3 or so of the book.

I bought the new AIO book with the study guides from Amazon. It got delivered about a week ago. I cracked it open last night and over lunch hour today. My time is limited, with a 20 month old and 2.5 month old so I'll have to squeeze in time when I can.

I currently have a Yamaha keyboard. I would like to get a DP but I'm not sure when that'll be able to happen. My keyboard is touch sensitive, so I guess that's something.

Anyway, here's to keeping at it!!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
8BallFan:

Yea! Welcome, and keep at it! I have 3 kids aged 11, 9, and 7, and a fulltime career, so I hear you about squeezing in tme when you can.

What I have found to be helpful, believe it or not, is to join the MOYD group here:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/7755.html

and then, try to practice for at least five minutes a day. Believe it or not, its helped!

Just focusing on shutting down the critical mind, and focusing on just practicing, even for just five minutes, may be quite helpful with your other priorities.

Good luck, keep us informed, and congrats on the new baby!

Angelo

Howdy,

Got a quick question for those who have made it past the 1/2 point in this book. One of the pages I have to play this week is Blow the Man Down, and my brain is having quite a bit of trouble playing the 8th note in between the left hands broken cord. Was wondering if anyone had some tips they could share to help this process out.

Thanks in advance!

wj3 Offline
Oh Boy BTMD...Slow way down....and I mean Slooooow. That will give you time to let the brain catch up.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
I had gotten up to page 95 (Lullaby) and decided to go back through the whole book from the beginning in case I was going too fast. I found it very encouraging that pieces that took me a day or two to figure out before, I was playing in just a few minutes this time smile

The only problem now is I really enjoy playing Lullaby and don't want to go on to the next one.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
Hi people! Just thought I'd put an update. smile I've almost finished book 1 now. I can play most songs and the rest near the end of the book just needs a bit more polishing. But since I'm the impatient typed, I've already ordered book 2 and it was delivered today. I can't wait. smile

YOUTUBE VIDS
Currently on: Alfred Book 2, Sonatinas Vol 1 (Gail Lew) and random sheet music from the internet smile
MOST WANTED SHEET MUSIC: Maalaala Mo Kaya, Souvenir de Filipinas - I'd also love to have the ability to play them... laugh

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Farkle:
Howdy,

Got a quick question for those who have made it past the 1/2 point in this book. One of the pages I have to play this week is Blow the Man Down, and my brain is having quite a bit of trouble playing the 8th note in between the left hands broken cord. Was wondering if anyone had some tips they could share to help this process out.

Thanks in advance!
BTMD... ah yes, this is where the book takes a nasty turn eek
wj3 nailed it... slow this one down and give the brain time to catch up. If I remember correctly, about the 3rd day!

Leon... its time to put that one to bed and move on!

sweet, thanks for the replies smile

gonna slow it down and see where that takes me

wj3 Offline
mydnyt. Congrats, I am about the same place as you are. Except Ive had book 2 for months. I passed myself on Rasins and Almounds and only have the three last songs. I already know the Entertainer as I jumped ahead for that one so its really "Hes got the Whole World" and "Amazing Grace"

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
Oh yeah. I have played through all the songs. But some like He's Got The Whole World, and Amazing Grace especially, are a bit of a challenge. I guess I'm just more used to classical sounding pieces. I might even learn Love's Greeting before officially starting book 2. smile

YOUTUBE VIDS
Currently on: Alfred Book 2, Sonatinas Vol 1 (Gail Lew) and random sheet music from the internet smile
MOST WANTED SHEET MUSIC: Maalaala Mo Kaya, Souvenir de Filipinas - I'd also love to have the ability to play them... laugh
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can now (finally) play all the way through "Why am I Blue" and have even done it a few times without mistakes. Tempo is another story.

I've also worked on the first phrase from "Good People". I figure this one is going to have to be done small bite by small bite.

Unfortunately for my piano practicing, I'm going to be away for 10 days at a Watercolor Workshop. I look forward to this all year - all day classes, slide shows and seminars at night, maybe a few walks on the beach at lunch, eating and hanging out with other artists. Yes, watercolor is more important to me than piano. No, there is no piano at the hotel. When we have our gallery night at the end of the workshop, the entertainment has to bring their own keyboard. Last year it only took me a day to get back into shape when I got home. I'm hoping that it will be the same this year - that I won't backslide too much.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Hey Mom3gram,

Have a great time. It sounds like fun laugh . And just think, with no piano there it will just make you yearn for it all that more when you get back. Im jelous though... I miss walks on the beach. I grew up right on a beach and now I live in-land so there is no beach nearby :rolleyes: . Have a ball!!!!! and I really dont think you will backslide that much. You are doing great!!!!!

As for me...well, I have done some backsliding frown . I am now working out of my Faber 2b books. I got back with my former teacher, and i am just doing a little re-grouping. I hit a big frustration point and now im recovering. The pieces that had been assigned to me took all the wind out of my sails help and I was bummed for awhile so I am now just taking things a little bit slower. Im still going to work on my Alfreds but just a little bit slower. I think everyone will pass me up. BUt thats O.K.. Im in no hurry. I just want to have fun and make music yippie .....

KaylaX cool

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mom3gram:
I can now (finally) play all the way through "Why am I Blue" and have even done it a few times without mistakes. Tempo is another story.

I've also worked on the first phrase from "Good People". I figure this one is going to have to be done small bite by small bite.

Unfortunately for my piano practicing, I'm going to be away for 10 days at a Watercolor Workshop. I look forward to this all year - all day classes, slide shows and seminars at night, maybe a few walks on the beach at lunch, eating and hanging out with other artists. Yes, watercolor is more important to me than piano. No, there is no piano at the hotel. When we have our gallery night at the end of the workshop, the entertainment has to bring their own keyboard. Last year it only took me a day to get back into shape when I got home. I'm hoping that it will be the same this year - that I won't backslide too much.
I don't think you will backside- in fact the ones you have in memory will probably sound better. I don't know why- but it is as if you are recalling from a better blueprint than before. Not sure if that makes sense. I do know this, the first time back at the piano after being away is special.

Tempo of "Why AM I Blue" will work itself out as you become familar with the piece. Funny- every time I start to play this one I have to do a 1-2 -3 -4 count in my head to get it jump started. I can't just start playing it the way I can most.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by KaylaX:
Hey Mom3gram,

Have a great time. It sounds like fun laugh . And just think, with no piano there it will just make you yearn for it all that more when you get back. Im jelous though... I miss walks on the beach. I grew up right on a beach and now I live in-land so there is no beach nearby :rolleyes: . Have a ball!!!!! and I really dont think you will backslide that much. You are doing great!!!!!

As for me...well, I have done some backsliding frown . I am now working out of my Faber 2b books. I got back with my former teacher, and i am just doing a little re-grouping. I hit a big frustration point and now im recovering. The pieces that had been assigned to me took all the wind out of my sails help and I was bummed for awhile so I am now just taking things a little bit slower. Im still going to work on my Alfreds but just a little bit slower. I think everyone will pass me up. BUt thats O.K.. Im in no hurry. I just want to have fun and make music yippie .....

KaylaX cool
Kaylax
You have more on your plate than I... sooner or later you will feel the effect of the sling shot and I will wave as you go by. smile

B
B
Well, before the forums go down tomorrow, thought I'd post an update. Had my 4th lesson tonight and all in all it was pretty good, but I blew a few things that I thought I had mastered at home. And she corrected a note I was playing wrong on one song, but agreed it sounded better the way I was playing it, hee hee.

So my work is cut out for me the next two weeks. I'm up to Standing in the Need of Prayer to Lavender Blue. I gave them both (plus everything in between) a quick run through tonight and they seem to be the two that are going to be a little time consuming. Kumbayah (sp) was pretty easy.

She's added the first Hanon exercise to my scales, arpeggios and cadences to practice every day. And next lesson she is giving me the complete Hannon's book to add to my routine.

I'm still working on some individual pieces that she wants me to try and memorize. Plus one that she gave me 2 lessons ago, that I just haven't been able to get in to, but agreed to give it a try.

I've also been working on the Alfred's Greatest Hits, and pretty much have Love Me Tender down, so she told me to add Edelweiss and the next song I forgot what it is (The Heart Goes On maybe).

I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed as things are getting more difficult and feel like I want to ask her to slow down what she is giving me. But honestly, having too much is better for me than having too little and getting bored, it keeps me on my toes and ensures that I spend plenty of time at the piano.

By the way, is anybody doing the Alfred's Greatest Hits Level 1 and willing to add some audio or video clips to the site? I'd love to be able to hear them when I'm working on them. Or if they are already here, can somebody point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

I'm doing the Greatest Hits. No clips though. I just started on "What a Wonderful World" tonight. I don't really like the arrangement so far compared to the first few.

For whatever reason, "Standing in the Need of Prayer" is the one from the lesson book that I picked up and memorized pretty quickly. I think it just has a pattern that's easy to remember. I like to see how fast I can play it for the heck of it.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
Hello,
I'm looking to buy this Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1, but during my search I've found both books; One is Basic the other has All in One in the title.
Can someone recommend which book to get? The Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Level One or the Alfred's ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1?
Thank you:-)

The "All-in-One" that the title refers to is "Lesson, Theory, and Technic" so I assume it's more informative than the other one. I was only aware of the "All-in-One" book when I bought it but I'm glad I did.

If you decide to get the companion greatest hits books that go along with them, they have recommended page numbers before each song (as in, learn this song after a certain page number in the lesson book) and it includes two different page numbers depending on which lesson book you have.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
HELP!
I just started to work on Little Brown Jug in the Alfred's self teaching adult book and I am dumbfounded to say the least. This version of Alfred's has a 'study guide' preceeding each new area.
There is a comment that 'of course, all F's will be played as F#. But the piece is in the key of F Major???? F Major has all B's as flats, not F's as sharps or am I totally confused? And there are no additional notations in the music to play any key as a sharp.
This looks like a mistake in the book, but please, if someone knows what's going on here, tell me.

Page 92 of 452 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission